• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Warm Butts and Merry-Go-Rounds - Corches Hot Seat/ Coaching Carousel

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Harbaugh's staff is coming together pretty well. I'm excited about DJ Durkin. They're keeping Mattison on as position coach, which I like. Some of the offensive staff is a bit of a question mark - they hired the Jag's offensive coordinator as passing game coordinator and WR coach - but since Harbaugh will be in charge of the offense, I'm not worried.

Also, an NFL offensive coordinator moving down to a college position coach? Damn.

Brick

Harbaugh's staff is coming together pretty well. I'm excited about DJ Durkin. They're keeping Mattison on as position coach, which I like. Some of the offensive staff is a bit of a question mark - they hired the Jag's offensive coordinator as passing game coordinator and WR coach - but since Harbaugh will be in charge of the offense, I'm not worried.

Also, an NFL offensive coordinator moving down to a college position coach? Damn.
Jedd Fisch? ahahahhahahahahhaha

coordinated brotles passing game this year @Travis7401

was not good at minnesota and miami.

i wouldn't be concerned because harbaugh, but wtf.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Jedd Fisch? ahahahhahahahahhaha

coordinated brotles passing game this year @Travis7401

was horrible at minnesota and miami.

i wouldn't be concerned because harbaugh, but wtf. he sucks.

Yeah, I'm hoping that he's just going to be a position coach and not do much with the offense. Although his QBs put up okay numbers at Miami when he was there (Weber was a disaster at Minnesota though). Going from an NFL coordinator to what's likely just a position coach is a huge downgrade. He's probably not going to stick around for very long because of that.

I have much more faith in Drevno as the OC, though. He was responsible for that mashing OL that Stanford had at the end of Harbaugh's run in Stanford. I think they finished at over 5 YPC Harbaugh's last year, which is insane for a non-spread team in college football.

Brick

Yeah, I'm hoping that he's just going to be a position coach and not do much with the offense. Although his QBs put up okay numbers at Miami when he was there (Weber was a disaster at Minnesota though). Going from an NFL coordinator to what's likely just a position coach is a huge downgrade. He's probably not going to stick around for very long because of that.

I have much more faith in Drevno as the OC, though. He was responsible for that mashing OL that Stanford had at the end of Harbaugh's run in Stanford. I think they finished at over 5 YPC Harbaugh's last year, which is insane for a non-spread team in college football.
yeah, i wouldn't be worried. the thing is i think it may take two years to kind of build that attitude, even if they have good talent. since they had such a quick trigger with hoke and dickrod, it will be interesting to see what happens there.

Brick

Have been having a debate with a mong college football writer who claims that it must be a good hire for UGa because baby Schottenheimer has been an NFL corch for so long.

View attachment 1129
i mean, this guy looks like he knows what he's talking about

vGLQ-Xzt.jpeg

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Hoke was supposedly trying to preach similar things to what Harbaugh will be preaching. So maybe it won't take that long? I don't know. Michigan has a lot of experience coming back, so I'm pretty hopeful. I wouldn't be surprised if they won 10 games. Also wouldn't be surprised if they won 7 games, though. Some big question marks - QB, skill positions on offense. Michigan has a lot of bodies, just a question of how much talent those bodies contain.

i mean, this guy looks like he knows what he's talking about

vGLQ-Xzt.jpeg

He is the lead recruiting writer at the UW Scout site. His recruiting stuff is solid, but he goes out of his depth when he actually tries to discuss the game of football.

But he does the incredibly condescending yet thin-skinned shtick like a champ.

Freeman

Have been having a debate with a mong college football writer who claims that it must be a good hire for UGa because baby Schottenheimer has been an NFL corch for so long.

View attachment 1129

You believe there is no merit to the line of thinking that is being expressed around here that keeping a job like OC in the NFL for 9 years lends credibility to your resume?

Brick

that's just a talking point. i'd wager most of the top offensive college coaches in the country were toiling in obscurity 10 years ago, or not even coaching. tenure doesn't mean anything. especially in the NFL which is kind of a frat, especially when you have a last name like he does.

Last edited:
You believe there is no merit to the line of thinking that is being expressed around here that keeping a job like OC in the NFL for 9 years lends credibility to your resume?

I took this from another site, so I haven't fact checked it yet. I assume it is based on yards/gm, which is a pretty mong way to measure offenses, but whatever. It is broadly indicative of his stature as an NFL OC, I think.

Schottenheimer's offensive team rankings:

2014: 28th
2013: 30th
2012: 23rd
2011: 25th
2010: 11th
2009: 20th
2008: 16th
2007: 26th
2006: 25th

Freeman

Some idiot on that Twitter exchange said that Jacob Eason's dad was not impressed by the hire.

I liked Kevin Butler's take on it;

Hiring Schottenheimer definitely has the "wow" factor, but which one? "Wow! Coach Richt was able to hire an NFL coordinator who brings his pro style offense and professional expertise to Athens?" Or "Wow...what was Georgia thinking hiring a guy who hasn't coached in college since 2000 and whose offenses haven't exactly ranked well in recent history?"

Some idiot on that Twitter exchange said that Jacob Eason's dad was not impressed by the hire.

I liked Kevin Butler's take on it;

I have no idea if Eason's dad was or was not impressed.

I am not impressed though.

And I looked at the Football Outsiders' DVOA ratings on baby Schottenheimer's offenses in the NFL:

2006 - 12th
2007 - 22nd
2008 - 18th
2009 - 22nd
2010 - 16th
2011 - 21st
2012 - 21st
2013 - 27th
2014 - 25th

Based on a 9 year sample he is a well below average NFL OC.

But not to worry, because doing a mediocre job teaching NFL offensive concepts to college players during limited practice time is a sure road to success in CFB, right?

PSUEagle

This basement dwelling trog is Grantland's football guy, so at least there's someone that will make the UW recruiting "guru" feel better about himself when he goes to sleep each night.

photo1.jpg

Freeman

I think a college coaching job and and an NFL job are so different that I wouldn't want to make any assumptions. College coaches have to recruit and I I have no idea how that will play out.

Eason says "It’s a really great hire, man. It’s a homerun. His resume speaks for itself," ..It’s pretty freaking awesome.. We couldn't ask for anything better. I couldn’t ask for anything better for my son."

That gives me some hope that the kids that matter will think it is a good move.

I think a college coaching job and and an NFL job are so different that I wouldn't want to make any assumptions. College coaches have to recruit and I I have no idea how that will play out.

Eason says "It’s a really great hire, man. It’s a homerun. His resume speaks for itself," ..It’s pretty freaking awesome.. We couldn't ask for anything better. I couldn’t ask for anything better for my son."

That gives me some hope that the kids that matter will think it is a good move.

I hadn't seen that quote. Sounds like a guy who is convinced to me.

So maybe it will pay recruiting dividends when it comes to Eason. I still expect his offenses to be very underwhelming. But maybe underachieving with incredible talent has become so ingrained in the culture of Georgia's offensive coaching staff that it is considered a job requirement these days.

This basement dwelling trog is Grantland's football guy, so at least there's someone that will make the UW recruiting "guru" feel better about himself when he goes to sleep each night.

photo1.jpg

Barnwell at least knows something about football doe.

gilstein21

Michael Barrow had lunch with William Larry Muschamp, Rodney Garner, and Tavares Robinson today. Rumor is he has been offered the LB job at Auburn.

3357656.jpg

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator

Durkin is an incredible hire. He's one of the guys I always hoped Nebraska would take a look at for DC. He can recruit his ass off, not to mention he's a pretty good coach. Knew he was going to get a high level job somewhere, wish it wasn't in the Big Ten.

Renegade

Charge on!
UCF hired alumnus and long time St Louis Ram Travis Fisher as our DB coach. Hopefully he proves to be a solid recruiter.

Renegade

Charge on!
UCF hires recently terminated USF DC Chuck Bresnahan as DC, who worked for O'Leary at GT. Don't think defense was a problem in Tampa the past two years, though he's reportedly an awful recruiter (like most of our assistants). Maybe Travis Fisher can land him some talent.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Ohio State expected to hire (former?) Nebraska OC Tim Beck to same position.

Tim Beck took a ton of blame here at Nebraska, some warranted, some not. He's a solid coach though, he'll do fine at OSU. Obviously no one is going to be as successful as Herman was but Beck will do well there under an offensive HC and with some familiarity on staff. OSU's personnel and style is a far better fit for what Beck wants to do.

Biggest knock on Beck is his inability to develop QBs, but given the success OSU has had and QB god Urban Meyer keeping an eye on him, he should be fine. Will he or Warinner call plays?

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Arkansas OC Jim Chaney leaves to take same job at Pittsburgh.

Hogs_football_Jim_Chaney_00_t598.jpg

Rumor is Coach Bielema was pissed that Jim kept eating all the damn donuts at the office.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
No kidding. They are both some morbidly obese motherfuckers.

Bielema is a big dude, former DL so yeah he's still fat, but I'm sure he is pretty strong too. Ole Jim is just a big ole marshmallow.

I thought he did a good job with the skill position players they had to work with. I hate to see him go, but so far Bielema has done a good job of hiring assistants so I'm optimistic.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
:laughing:

seriously, though, if we're passing the ball 60% of the time (every time) this year with the RBs we have at our disposal, I will be pissed. might as well have kept heupel if that's the case

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
:laughing:

seriously, though, if we're passing the ball 60% of the time (every time) this year with the RBs we have at our disposal, I will be pissed. might as well have kept heupel if that's the case

Well, he is an Air Raid guy so 60% would probably be the minimum. FWIW, ECU ran for 161.1 YPG and was 6th in total offense this year.

I'm reading that he hasn't for sure been hired yet doe

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
yeah, as far as I know, it originated from one dubious source

Who do you want at OC? Or does it matter? Just read on some OU site that the OC hire doesn't matter "as long as we have the same DC and HC" haha

I know you haven't been a big fan of Stoops recently so does it matter?

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Who do you want at OC? Or does it matter? Just read on some OU site that the OC hire doesn't matter "as long as we have the same DC and HC" haha

Preferably someone that can come up with something more than the Pistol on the goal line. I don't know when or where it happened, but OU has become very soft along the OL in recent years.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Scott Frost would have been awesome, but that was a long shot. Tyson Helton was prolly my #2. Don't know a whole lot about Riley except his numbers from the past few years and that a lot of people think highly of him. Sonny Cumbie was up there as well.

And I really want Stoops to turn it around and get OU back in the NC picture, but he just doesn't seem to have "it" anymore. Maybe that changes this year, although yeah, his brother is a huge detriment to any possible success.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Preferably someone that can come up with something more than the Pistol on the goal line. I don't know when or where it happened, but OU has become very soft along the OL in recent years.

Bedenbaugh has turned that around for the most part. He's done a great job with the OL in both run- and pass-blocking.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator

Well, going under center doesn't automatically make their line better. The two teams in the championship game never (or very rarely) go under center. That's more of an indictment on recruiting and coaching than scheme.

Scott Frost would have been awesome, but that was a long shot. Tyson Helton was prolly my #2. Don't know a whole lot about Riley except his numbers from the past few years and that a lot of people think highly of him. Sonny Cumbie was up there as well.

And I really want Stoops to turn it around and get OU back in the NC picture, but he just doesn't seem to have "it" anymore. Maybe that changes this year, although yeah, his brother is a huge detriment to any possible success.

I really like Helton, I'm not sure he would be a good fit doe, given OU's recent QB play.

OU recently reminds me of the end of Mack Brown's Texas tenure. Not quite as bad, but basically a program that has multiple record-setting QBs at a certain point (Vince Young and Colt McCoy vs. Sam Bradford and Landry Jones) and then proceeds to whiff repeatedly on keeping that trend. I'm not sure if the issue is with the scheme. Huepel's not great, but any great QB can make any offense look good. Like I said, the issue seems to be on recruiting and coaching. I would think that's on Stoops. It seems to me (from an outsider's point of view) that OU has been treading water for a while. I can't remember the last time I looked at an OU team and thought they were really dangerous. Maybe the program does need a change.

OU recently reminds me of the end of Mack Brown's Texas tenure. Not quite as bad, but basically a program that has multiple record-setting QBs at a certain point (Vince Young and Colt McCoy vs. Sam Bradford and Landry Jones) and then proceeds to whiff repeatedly on keeping that trend. I'm not sure if the issue is with the scheme. Huepel's not great, but any great QB can make any offense look good. Like I said, the issue seems to be on recruiting and coaching. I would think that's on Stoops. It seems to me (from an outsider's point of view) that OU has been treading water for a while. I can't remember the last time I looked at an OU team and thought they were really dangerous. Maybe the program does need a change.

There are similarities. I don't know if the rot goes quite as deep as it did at Texas. Mack Brown had really become a total joke for the final third of his tenure. I don't know if I would say the same of Medium Game Bob, but he sure doesn't have the edge he used to have.

silverwheels

PLAY LA BAMBA BABY
Yeah, as down as I've been on Stoops for the past few years, at least it hasn't gotten nearly as bad as it was at Texas over the last 4 years of Mack's tenure. So we have that going for us, which is nice.

Also, supposedly OU is going to announce some changes on the defensive side of the corching staff today or tomorrow. Most likely just LB corch Tim Kish being relieved of his duties and long time position corch Bobby Jack Wright to be elevated to an administrative position within the program. Would be nice Mike announced he was going to the CFL, but I doubt it.

Yeah, as down as I've been on Stoops for the past few years, at least it hasn't gotten nearly as bad as it was at Texas over the last 4 years of Mack's tenure. So we have that going for us, which is nice.

Hopefully for your sake it never gets that bad. Stoops doesn't seem as deluded and entitled as Mack was though.

Here is the thing about OU, I always want to win that game more than anything, but I have also had real respect for Stoops over the years. Of course, I can't say that about Switzer. Or about the Aggies...