• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

USA National Soccer (M & W) Thread

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Yawn. What an boring performance. Zero interesting options going for US currently outside of Pulisic.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Nice U20 goal from another guy who will spend 6 years in MLS and end up moving to Dusseldorf at 28 while getting 40 senior caps

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Berhalter is probably going to be fine, but why the fuck did we wait over a year to get him in? Should have been hired this past summer, at the latest.

NML

This was always going to be the hire. They were never to follow up JK with another sexy, foreign corch.

GB has a great resume - played and coached in MLS and abroad, former NT guy, well liked. Made the playoffs four of the past five years with a small budget and shitty circumstances in Columbus.

I agree that this could’ve happened after last MLS season though

doh

We waited 13 months for Gregg Berhalter...

I wish we had competent people running US Soccer.

NML

Berhalter is the best American corch there is right now. He’s getting way too much shit, I like the hire (would’ve preferred it happened a year ago though)

Looks like Pulisic will move this winter, will definitely destroy any record for an American. As a fan, I’m hoping to he goes to Liverpool, but I just don’t see minutes for him there behind Salah and Mane (and Shaqiri).

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I've been hearing/reading Chelsea and Liverpool are the ones that want him. Not sure I'd be a fan of him moving to either one, honestly. He'd be 4th choice at Liverpool. He probably has an easier path to playing time at Chelsea, but Sarri tends to stick to an 11, and I'm not sure he'd get in it.

doh

Berhalter is the best American corch there is right now. He’s getting way too much shit, I like the hire (would’ve preferred it happened a year ago though)

Looks like Pulisic will move this winter, will definitely destroy any record for an American. As a fan, I’m hoping to he goes to Liverpool, but I just don’t see minutes for him there behind Salah and Mane (and Shaqiri).
I don't mind Berhalter at all being named manager. I would've liked it a long, long time ago though. I don't understand what leverage he had to make US Soccer wait all of this time. Or why US Soccer (again) lied and said this was some sort of global search with 22 candidates when it wasn't.

He's a fine coach although pretty bad in Sweden (that was a while ago). He has lots of experience as a player at top levels.

Then again now I look at his total results as Crew HC... +6 goal difference over 193 matches :thumbsup:

I think Marsch is a better coach though. I would've preferred him if it had to be an American.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations

I've been hearing/reading Chelsea and Liverpool are the ones that want him. Not sure I'd be a fan of him moving to either one, honestly. He'd be 4th choice at Liverpool. He probably has an easier path to playing time at Chelsea, but Sarri tends to stick to an 11, and I'm not sure he'd get in it.

How about some STOKE IN THIS BITCH @pavel

He would definitely get minutes at stoke. He'd get minutes at Arsenal too! It's only a matter of time before all their attacking players are simultaneously hurt...again.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
I would love to see him at like Sevilla or Napoli. He really needs to play more. I'm not sure he's good enough yet to break into the first team at a top tier club. He should go to a place where he can get 30+ starts and can play in a pretty good team.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Would probably rotate with Guedes and Cheryshev, but they dont really have a good 3rd winger

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
It's honestly probably only the English teams, Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG, Juventus, and Bayern that could afford him anyway. He's either going to one of those clubs or he will stay at Dortmund.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Yeah that's true. This summer I would've said Inter but they spent a ton. Could see a Wolves, but may be a downgrade

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
By English teams, I really meant top half of the Premier League. If Everton can throw $50M at Richarlison, they could probably afford the $70M for Pulisic.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Wolves are there too financially, right? I guess some of those deals are discounts with Mendes

NML

It seems like he wants to play in England, I think anything else is off the table.

I’m not sure how Chelsea or Liverpool will play out, but I don’t mind the “sink or swim” approach to see just how good he is

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
I'm worried that Pulisic is going to be bought solely for shirt sales/ US branding and won't get the playing time he needs. Honestly Bayern would be a great fit for him- Robben & Ribery are done.

doh

I agree -- Bayern would be the best fit too. Their wingers are finished.

I'm scared he will go to some huge English club that wants an American, get buried and lose a year or two of playing time and not develop.

NML

Pulisic also finished (a distant) runner up in the FIFA Young Player of the Year award

He has a better chance to see the field than ur average 20 year old because of his versatility (he was an attacking mid for his first couple professional seasons). At Liverpool, he could play four different positions.

NML

Had a little more time to dwell on the Berhalter hire, plus he just gave an interesting interview with Yahoo

- Part of the reason I’m not as frustrated with the longevity of the search is that Earnie Stewart was just hired “officially” in August. A three month turnaround from that isn’t bad. If you want to establish this new way of operating, take the appropriate time to set it up. Don’t hire a corch and then a GM who may or may not want that coach. I say all that to say that no one wanted them to hire a coach ASAP more than me. I remember the discussion in this thread about how they should wait until after the World Cup so some great coach would come available - this was time lost, and I’ll touch more on that soon.

- Berhalter is a good hire. As good as anyone. But, you’ve got to compare him to the other possible candidates to try and figure out why he was picked. I think you also should look at Stewart and want he wants in a coach.

- That leads me to the following takeaway: Stewart and Berhalter are both largely Dutch influenced. 3G (as he’s affectionately known in Columbus) has talked about how that was where he established a lot of his soccer values. So knowing that, this hire makes a lot of sense.

- What that also tells you is that a guy like Jesse Marsch was not considered (he wasn’t even interviewed) because that’s not his style. Berhalter wants to keep it on the ground and build from the back (hmm, where have I heard that before) whereas Marsch (and Tata, someone else not interviewed) are high prsssure guys.

- IMO, the latter is the style that better fits our strengths. Furthermore, we are coming off a coach who said he was going to implement these same tactics as 3G is saying, and did so horribly.

- To that point, I think Berhalter is a significantly better coach than JK. I’ve praised JK a lot for his off field stuff and I don’t think that can be forgotten, but he wasn’t a tactics or training pitch savant. So I don’t necessarily think it’s fair to paint 3G with a Jürgen brush.

- Finally, Berhalter has this extremely intricate style that he’s built in Columbus. You know what would be really helpful for an entire pool of players trying to learn that twelve days at a time? A year of friendlies.

I’m still optimistic because I believe in Berhalter - moreso than just his coaching ability, he’s won with his style and I think he’ll stick with it regardless of early results (which is where JK failed, and quickly went back to direct soccer). Furthermore, JK was hired seven years ago, so you’ve got this new generation of players who are much more technically sound then the one before them. Because of that, the foundation that JK laid is a great place for 3G to build off of.

This will definitely be as excited as I’ve been for a camp cupcake since 2012.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
@NML

What the fuck is this about?
U.S. Soccer Foundation Sues U.S. Soccer Federation Over Naming, Logo Dispute

Foster-Simeon said the foundation asked U.S. Soccer verbally whether it intended to use the name U.S. Soccer Foundation for itself, but U.S. Soccer did not respond. But the foundation was direct in its complaint, saying: “The USSF has threatened to hijack the Foundation’s trademarks for its own use—likely an effort to capitalize on lucrative business opportunities when the United States hosts the World Cup in 2026.”
U.S. Soccer was contacted by SI.com after the lawsuit was filed on Thursday. The federation’s response will be added here as soon as it is received.
Foster-Simeon said he was particularly struck that U.S. Soccer took such an aggressive stance against the U.S. Soccer Foundation soon after including the foundation and its programs in the Legacy section of the successful bid (with Canada and Mexico) to host World Cup 2026.
“It’s almost like a bait-and-switch,” said Foster-Simeon, who was on the board of the bid committee. “Like we were great for them leading up to the bid, but then within weeks of receiving the bid it’s like, ‘Oh, we want to divorce from you and want you to change your name.’
“At the end of the day, we’ve been told they want to raise $100 million for a national training center, so this may be about money and dollars. But we’re about making a difference for kids in low-income communities, because the pay-to-play model and the increased expense of participation blocks them out. Around the world this is the most egalitarian sport there is. But right now the picture of the game in this country is largely a middle-class, upper-middle-class and suburban sport. And we’re working incredibly hard to change that and are having success. It would be another matter if we weren’t having success, but we’re bringing kids in, we’re creating access and opportunities, and we’re growing at a rapid rate in terms of the number of kids that we’re reaching every year.”
The U.S. Soccer Foundation served 70,000 kids last year, Foster-Simeon said, and expects to reach 100,000 by the end of this school year.

NML

My uneducated guess is that USSF wants to take over the “foundation” side of things vs it being handled by an outside source (albeit one that was funded by USSF). They probably want to be more strategic about how they are spending that money.

The Foundation has been more of an “after school program” that uses soccer as its vehicle versus a way of reaching talented lower class players. USSF probably wants to reach a more talented 100,000 kids this year than what the Foundation did.

It’s shitty but, to my knowledge, the foundation is still operating on the $50m that USSF used to start it in ‘94. So I’m not surprised that they feel those resources aren’t being used like they want.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
My uneducated guess is that USSF wants to take over the “foundation” side of things vs it being handled by an outside source (albeit one that was funded by USSF). They probably want to be more strategic about how they are spending that money.

The Foundation has been more of an “after school program” that uses soccer as its vehicle versus a way of reaching talented lower class players. USSF probably wants to reach a more talented 100,000 kids this year than what the Foundation did.

It’s shitty but, to my knowledge, the foundation is still operating on the $50m that USSF used to start it in ‘94. So I’m not surprised that they feel those resources aren’t being used like they want.

It seems they've invested/fundraised well. From the initial $50m they've been able to distribute $125m. If there's anyone I don't trust to spend that money on making soccer better in this country, it's the USSF.

NML

It seems they've invested/fundraised well. From the initial $50m they've been able to distribute $125m. If there's anyone I don't trust to spend that money on making soccer better in this country, it's the USSF.

For sure. It’s cynical but at the end of the day, USSF is an organization who’s goal is to produce great US soccer players (theoretically), not fight childhood obesity.

Can we stop calling him 3G?

Imma need a shorthand for Berhalter until my keyboard suggestions pick up his name

NML

The Schalke/Dortmund game has been awesome.

McKennie is playing at striker - interesting idea, but I expected him to be more of a defensive forward, pressing the backline. Looks like Schalke has set their block pretty deep, so he hasn’t don’t much of that. Fairly technical, but he certainly looks like a midfielder playing out of position. Part of that is a lack of service. Other forward seems to be more a target man but hasn’t done much with the ball.

Pulisic on the bench. I think they know he’s moving this winter and are focusing on the future without him.

NML

Rumors and all that, but Dortmund have dropped the price for Pulisic and it looks like he’s almost certainly leaving in January.

I’d say it’s about 40% Chelsea/Liverpool, and 10% ManU/Bayern.

Would despise him going to United. He’ll do the HARD WORK WORK that Jose wants, but Jose has also been a black hole for talented youth players. Only bonus would be that he’s probably one of the first names on the team sheet and Jose might not make it to next season anyways.

Haven’t seen enough substance to think Bayern has a real shot

Another negative is that he’s cup tied in Europe. But January/February are pretty packed with cup and league play anyways, and teams are always bruised up after December so I think he finds time at either of the other two.

I think the Klopp connection is overstated, but I think FSG gives Liverpool the edge.

wolverine318

Mod Alumni
Chelsea is interesting. Pedro and Willian are older. Odoi is promising but might leave. Hazard is hazard, might leave too, probably plays more CF,s, whatever byou want to call itoving forward. So they Def should be in the market.

He plays they high energy that sarri likes too.

Snorky's Shame

Rumors and all that, but Dortmund have dropped the price for Pulisic and it looks like he’s almost certainly leaving in January.

I’d say it’s about 40% Chelsea/Liverpool, and 10% ManU/Bayern.

Would despise him going to United. He’ll do the HARD WORK WORK that Jose wants, but Jose has also been a black hole for talented youth players. Only bonus would be that he’s probably one of the first names on the team sheet and Jose might not make it to next season anyways.

Haven’t seen enough substance to think Bayern has a real shot

Another negative is that he’s cup tied in Europe. But January/February are pretty packed with cup and league play anyways, and teams are always bruised up after December so I think he finds time at either of the other two.

I think the Klopp connection is overstated, but I think FSG gives Liverpool the edge.

Didn’t they change the rule regarding being cup-tied in Europe? Pulisic can play for Manchester United in Europe this season.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Only a person who hates themselves would approve a transfer to Mourinho united lol

wolverine318

Mod Alumni
Didn’t they change the rule regarding being cup-tied in Europe? Pulisic can play for Manchester United in Europe this season.
I believe the rule is they can only register him I'd he didn't play. Add pulisic played in the champs league he would be tied. But would be eligible to play in Europa League fire Chelsea, etc.