1. We have updated to a new version of XenForo. If you were using the "Kella" custom style, you need to switch to the Utopia or Alternate style. Do this in your user preferences.
    Dismiss Notice

USA National Soccer (M & W) Thread

Discussion in 'Pro Sports Discussion' started by Yankee151, Feb 13, 2014.

1. silverwheels

silverwheels more like Turd Crapley

Team:
    RUSS
    I'd like to see him at Valencia if he could get tons of minutes.

2. Yankee151

Yankee151 TWINK Stadium

Team:
    Yankees
    Would probably rotate with Guedes and Cheryshev, but they dont really have a good 3rd winger

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

3. DeadMan

DeadMan aka spiker or DeadMong

Team:
    Michigan
    It's honestly probably only the English teams, Real Madrid, Barcelona, PSG, Juventus, and Bayern that could afford him anyway. He's either going to one of those clubs or he will stay at Dortmund.

4. Yankee151

Yankee151 TWINK Stadium

Team:
    Yankees
    Yeah that's true. This summer I would've said Inter but they spent a ton. Could see a Wolves, but may be a downgrade

5. DeadMan

Team:
    Michigan
    By English teams, I really meant top half of the Premier League. If Everton can throw $50M at Richarlison, they could probably afford the $70M for Pulisic.

6. Yankee151

Yankee151 TWINK Stadium

Team:
    Yankees
    Wolves are there too financially, right? I guess some of those deals are discounts with Mendes

7. DeadMan

Team:
    Michigan
    I would assume so? I don't really know for sure.

8. NML

NML Well-Known Member

It seems like he wants to play in England, I think anything else is off the table.

I’m not sure how Chelsea or Liverpool will play out, but I don’t mind the “sink or swim” approach to see just how good he is

9. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Here to fix the cable

I'm worried that Pulisic is going to be bought solely for shirt sales/ US branding and won't get the playing time he needs. Honestly Bayern would be a great fit for him- Robben & Ribery are done.

10. doh

doh THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi

Team:
    Las Vegas Pac Men
    I agree -- Bayern would be the best fit too. Their wingers are finished.

I'm scared he will go to some huge English club that wants an American, get buried and lose a year or two of playing time and not develop.

11. NML

NML Well-Known Member

Pulisic also finished (a distant) runner up in the FIFA Young Player of the Year award

He has a better chance to see the field than ur average 20 year old because of his versatility (he was an attacking mid for his first couple professional seasons). At Liverpool, he could play four different positions.

12. NML

NML Well-Known Member

Had a little more time to dwell on the Berhalter hire, plus he just gave an interesting interview with Yahoo

- Part of the reason I’m not as frustrated with the longevity of the search is that Earnie Stewart was just hired “officially” in August. A three month turnaround from that isn’t bad. If you want to establish this new way of operating, take the appropriate time to set it up. Don’t hire a corch and then a GM who may or may not want that coach. I say all that to say that no one wanted them to hire a coach ASAP more than me. I remember the discussion in this thread about how they should wait until after the World Cup so some great coach would come available - this was time lost, and I’ll touch more on that soon.

- Berhalter is a good hire. As good as anyone. But, you’ve got to compare him to the other possible candidates to try and figure out why he was picked. I think you also should look at Stewart and want he wants in a coach.

- That leads me to the following takeaway: Stewart and Berhalter are both largely Dutch influenced. 3G (as he’s affectionately known in Columbus) has talked about how that was where he established a lot of his soccer values. So knowing that, this hire makes a lot of sense.

- What that also tells you is that a guy like Jesse Marsch was not considered (he wasn’t even interviewed) because that’s not his style. Berhalter wants to keep it on the ground and build from the back (hmm, where have I heard that before) whereas Marsch (and Tata, someone else not interviewed) are high prsssure guys.

- IMO, the latter is the style that better fits our strengths. Furthermore, we are coming off a coach who said he was going to implement these same tactics as 3G is saying, and did so horribly.

- To that point, I think Berhalter is a significantly better coach than JK. I’ve praised JK a lot for his off field stuff and I don’t think that can be forgotten, but he wasn’t a tactics or training pitch savant. So I don’t necessarily think it’s fair to paint 3G with a Jürgen brush.

- Finally, Berhalter has this extremely intricate style that he’s built in Columbus. You know what would be really helpful for an entire pool of players trying to learn that twelve days at a time? A year of friendlies.

I’m still optimistic because I believe in Berhalter - moreso than just his coaching ability, he’s won with his style and I think he’ll stick with it regardless of early results (which is where JK failed, and quickly went back to direct soccer). Furthermore, JK was hired seven years ago, so you’ve got this new generation of players who are much more technically sound then the one before them. Because of that, the foundation that JK laid is a great place for 3G to build off of.

This will definitely be as excited as I’ve been for a camp cupcake since 2012.

13. NML

NML Well-Known Member

Also Sargent will play this weekend, and Steffen to Man City is final

14. Karl Hungus

@NML

What the fuck is this about?
    U.S. Soccer Foundation Sues U.S. Soccer Federation Over Naming, Logo Dispute

15. NML

NML Well-Known Member

My uneducated guess is that USSF wants to take over the “foundation” side of things vs it being handled by an outside source (albeit one that was funded by USSF). They probably want to be more strategic about how they are spending that money.

The Foundation has been more of an “after school program” that uses soccer as its vehicle versus a way of reaching talented lower class players. USSF probably wants to reach a more talented 100,000 kids this year than what the Foundation did.

It’s shitty but, to my knowledge, the foundation is still operating on the $50m that USSF used to start it in ‘94. So I’m not surprised that they feel those resources aren’t being used like they want.

16. Karl Hungus

It seems they've invested/fundraised well. From the initial $50m they've been able to distribute $125m. If there's anyone I don't trust to spend that money on making soccer better in this country, it's the USSF.

17. Orlando

Orlando Well-Known Member Utopia Moderator

Can we stop calling him 3G?

Rob's FSU and Travis7401 like this.
  18. NML

NML Well-Known Member

For sure. It’s cynical but at the end of the day, USSF is an organization who’s goal is to produce great US soccer players (theoretically), not fight childhood obesity.

Imma need a shorthand for Berhalter until my keyboard suggestions pick up his name

19. Orlando

Orlando Well-Known Member Utopia Moderator

Whatever autocorrect gives you

Travis7401 and Bmack like this.
  20. GatorTD

GatorTD Male Mod Alumni

Corch gerg.

DeadMan, Karl Hungus and silverwheels like this.