• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Trojan Soap Opera: The Helton Years

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
0-2 since becoming the full time coach. Good start. Bama is next on the slate. :thumbsup:

Apparently Clancy Pendergast signed a contract late last night to return as DC. And word from my...

Chris-Broussard-Sources.jpg

...is that Mark Carrier and Todd McNair might be signing shortly.

Brick

Buyout? That would be unprecedented in a case like this. They are stuck with him for at least two years, unless they have a losing record next year and can justify shooting him out of a canon. I blame twitter for this terrible hire.

Lightningwar

Administrator
USC has set the standard when it comes to unprecedented things with their coaching hiring and firing. May as well set the next bar and get a guy with a proven track record. I am still baffled at this hire. Unless they didnt want to wade into the battle due to so many positions opening up?

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
You bastards are taking John Baxter from us. That guy took our special teams from one of the worst to one of the best in less than a year. Special teams also won the game for us against MSU ... until they didn't. I'm actually a bit concerned about losing him.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Are we sure it's a good idea to bring Todd McNair back? He was the alleged fall guy for the Reggie Bush scandal, IIRC. The NCAA, being the evil organization it is, might out-evil itself again.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
You bastards are taking John Baxter from us. That guy took our special teams from one of the worst to one of the best in less than a year. Special teams also won the game for us against MSU ... until they didn't. I'm actually a bit concerned about losing him.

Very happy to have him back. Our special teams were actually good when he was here.

Are we sure it's a good idea to bring Todd McNair back? He was the alleged fall guy for the Reggie Bush scandal, IIRC. The NCAA, being the evil organization it is, might out-evil itself again.

We'll see. Admittedly, the person I'm hearing this from is a good friend of Todd's, so he's got a biased opinion. But per him, the NCAA didn't have shit on McNair....or really anybody; they were just making a point after a lengthy investigation, and needed to pin something on someone.

That being said, we either need to move on entirely from the Carroll era, or get the whole damn band back together. Because the last 5 to 6 years have basically been musical chairs with a handful of Carroll assistants mixed with other guys, and it obviously hasn't worked.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
So, yeah........

Lynn Swann is a beloved Trojan, a solid ambassador for the school, and seems like a good dude. But, I could've said a similar sentence (and probably did) 5 1/2 years ago when Haden was hired. Except Haden seemingly had more qualifications for this type of job, given his professional background. I'm not sure what specific know-how Swann brings. And I'm a little curious about JK McKay, who's been the assistant AD for years. Did he not want the job? Was he simply passed over?

To be fair to Haden, SC has won the 2nd most national titles during his tenure of any school (I believe only "Go Gata" has more). So as much criticism as he gets, the athletic department has performed really well under his stewardship. BUT, football hasn't, and that's the one that writes the checks, puts butts in seats, and really determines how successful the A.D. is perceived to be.

Hopefully Helton and Enfield prove to be successful and stick around awhile, and we can establish a little sorely missing consistency in the two most high profile sports. And that'd make Swann's transition easier, being able to learn on the job without having to make a big hire under the spotlight.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
It's a good day when someone with less collegiate athletic administration experience than myself gets hired as D1 AD. :thumbsup:

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
So it's basically a Haden hire except less experience. And he's black.

Which will play with recruits. Let's call a spade a spade....most foobaw recruits are A) black and B) have dreams of playing in the NFL. SC will milk Swann being 'relate-able' and a Super Bowl champ.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
If that's the case, Helton and Co. are in trouble.

Mike Garrett was black also.

You sayin' all black folk are alike? Smdh.

In seriousness, Swann's (public) persona seems to be one of smiles and friendliness. Heck, the man ran for governor, IIRC.

Garrett was always kinda known to be a grouchy asshole.

But yeah - Helton. I think @guardman23 is wrong. It won't be 40 pounds of rape. It'll be 100.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
You sayin' all black folk are alike? Smdh.

In seriousness, Swann's (public) persona seems to be one of smiles and friendliness. Heck, the man ran for governor, IIRC.

Garrett was always kinda known to be a grouchy asshole.

But yeah - Helton. I think @guardman23 is wrong. It won't be 40 pounds of rape. It'll be 100.

The man ran for governor and got destroyed in the PA primary. He didn't do well the Pennsyltucky part of the state or Philly or Scranton or Pittsburgh.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
Totally unrelated and I don't know why, but I was looking at his NFL numbers the other day. 336 career receptions lol. That's like 2 seasons for the top guys nowadays.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Um - ur wrong. Kiffin was a bad HC, no doubt. When he got fired, we breathed a collective sigh of relief. Until we saw his successor(s).

But we won't be burning down shit like @Southpaw when Kiffin left Knoxville.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
SC added cardinal around the neck and sleeves of the new away jerseys. I don't think I'm a fan. At least it's not a drastic change, though.

Should help camouflage some of the blood when Bama steam rolls us.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
SC added cardinal around the neck and sleeves of the new away jerseys. I don't think I'm a fan. At least it's not a drastic change, though.

Should help camouflage some of the blood when Bama steam rolls us.

Eh - it's probably a less drastic change than when Carroll went back to the "old" jerseys with the shoulder stripes and TV numbers on the sleeves and also the gray facemasks.

As long as we don't sell out and wear fukcig black jerseys or alternate color bullshit, I'm happy. Go duck urselfs, Whoregon! :emo:

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Ouch ouch ouch ouch ouch.

So, while the Trojans are getting their assholes sewn back up, I'm wondering what the rest of the season has in store. The team, outside of the first quarter, did not look good at all. I think the while team - players as well as coaches, looked as lost and befuddled as a kitten stuck in a garbage disposal, with similarly predictable results.

Next up is Utah State in the friendly confines of the Coliseum, which should be a win, but as has been pointed out, Utah State isn't the pushover they seem to be, and have been a solid, if not-quite-so-talented team. USC should out-talent them, but I don't think the game will be as easy for the Trojans as it should be.

After that are road trips to Stanford and then Utah. I don't think USC wins both, and could quite easily lose both. The only game I see that looks like a surefire win in the early part of the season is Colorado, and even they aren't the weaklings they once were.

Fuckin' A - Hackett is backett. :crying:

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
I only watched through the early 3rd Q before I jumped on a plane.

It was better, obviously. But with respect to Utah State, they're not high enough caliber for me to now say, "ok great, Helton and company fixed the problems from the Bama game."

We'll see what happens in the next two: @Stanford and @Utah.

2 for 2 so far for having players ejected. :thumbsup: Have we EVER been a disciplined team with regard to not committing stupid penalties?

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Let's go for 12 of 12 having players ejected. Perhaps if we start acting like 80s Miami, we will start playing like 80s Miami.

Anyway, yeah, it was better. But yes, it was also Utah State. Show me convincing wins over Stanford and Utah and I'll relax.

One thing I noticed that troubles me is that Max Browne is the reincarnation of Rob Johnson. Holding the ball too long, jittery feet, but somehow getting the lucky on some throws. Come crunch time, I expect he'll fuck up just like Johnson did.

Then there's that weird semi-dual QB rotation where Darnold gets in for some playing time - and I don't mean a whole series l, but just a play or two, and then Browne is back in. Not sure what that's all about.

Defense played really quite well. In honesty, they played well against Bama, too, but when your offense is going 3 and out all game long, eventually you get buried in an avalanche of yards and TDs, regardless of how well you played initially.

The next two weeks will be a clearer barometer of the direction of the team. Still, getting a convincing 45-7 win over anybody is a good confidence boost.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
On Saturday we resume the greatest ever rivalry between private California schools in the Pac12.

I am not optimistic.

Bdub

Osa Masina charged with 2 counts of rape and 2 counts of forcible sodomy in Utah. Charges in Cali are pending.
Don't think he will be playing football anytime soon.