• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Travis7401's 2049 Regular Season Awards Thread

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I didn't want to clutter up all the 2049 playoff talk, so I'll just put all my stuff here.

So, based on a cumulative WAR for the whole league of 639 in 2049, and 1459 actual wins (because obviously we had one mystery extra game, lol), the hypothetical "Replacement" team gets you 45.6 wins, on average, just FYI.

Table is submitted for your viewing pleasure. It is sorted by total wins, so the top 8 teams are your playoff teams and:
18619831274_1c167cca39_b.jpg

*$/WAR - This was calculated as (Team Salary - Full team replacement cost (25x490k)) / Total WAR, since hypothetical "Replacement" players would still cost 490k each
*Corch wins - This was calculated as Actual Wins - (WAR + 46.5) This can either be attributed to pure luck, or to coaching. WAR+46.5 is the portion statistically attributable to the players statistical performance.

Based on this, I give the 2049 BTT Manager of the Year Award to @Gooksta. He made the playoffs with a payroll only 40% of the top payroll, and he had 8 corch wins, which is likely too much to just attribute to luck alone.

The 2049 TANKEE Award goes to @Yankee151. How fitting. All joking aside, Yankee actually did a good job of accomplishing his goal. He had the lowest payroll in the league and ended up with the #2 draft pick, while paying the least amount of money in salary and still winning 50 games. All of that adds up to getting a good draft pick while not overly fucking his financial future. He also had 8 Corch wins. Other teams who know they aren't going to make the playoffs or desire to tank might look at him as an example. If you're going to be a bad team, you should at least be cheap about it.

I was pleased to find that Mr. Manager's sperging and focus on fiscal conservatism paid off, as the riggers ranked #1 in $/WAR and #2 in $/win.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Catchers (looked at all players who started 40+ games)

19238023452_27107e3f13_b.jpg

North League Best Bat - Pei Wong of Moscow was a really well rounded hitter. He had a 30 HRs, a good solid average and he lead catchers in OBP and was 2nd in SLG.

North League Best Glove - John Larking of Las Vegas lead the North League with a ZR of 2.1

North League Best Value - Murray Sanders of Istanbul produced very well for a player on minimum salary

South League Best Bat - Tien Thu of Kabul was a solid power hitter who lead all catchers in HRs and SLG

South League Best Glove- Miguel Rodriguez of North Dakota lead all catchers with a ZR of 4.0.

South League Best Value - Rob Stares from San Francisco did well for a player on a losing team and on minimum salary. Just edges out Rodriguez

Trog Star Award - Nourreddine Imarika just an utter disaster at hitting and fielding both. He's also making $9Million/year. Just think of what Istanbul's Salary and WAR/Win totals would have looked like without this trog hanging around their neck like an albatross. Amazing decline, since he'd averaged +2.7 WAR over the last 5 years in the WBL. @Yankee151 what happened here? I'm guessing he played DH mostly since you had another C with a lot of starts? Good thing you had Murray Sanders, lol.

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
First Base (looked at all players who started 40+ games).

The old Standby in Carrier was at the top, but two 25 year old players, Inonu and Baez, really stole the show at this position, IMO. Inonu and Baez were two of the very best minimum salary performers in the league at any position.

18623098864_da9f5e458a_b.jpg

North League Best Bat - Frédéric Carrier of Hampsterdam was once again one of the best hitters in the league, no surprise here.

North League Best Glove - Besim Inönü of Las Vegas had the best glove in the North

North League Best Value - Besim Inönü of Las Vegas was by far the best value. If it weren't for Carrier, he would have swept the North league 1B superlatives. Just an awesome season hitting, fielding, and even leading first basemen with 46 stolen bases. All of that on minimum salary? Amazing.

South League Best Bat - Mario Báez of Key West edges out Geeves of Kabul. Gotta award those 40 homers!

South League Best Glove- António De Los Santos of Buenos Aires had awesome fielding stats of any first baseman with ZR and EFF of 10.8 and 1.091. It should be noted that Mario Baez also had an incredible year fielding and nearly swept the South League 1B superlatives.

South League Best Value - Mario Báez of Key West was the best bat and 2nd best glove in the South and did it all on minimum salary. Enough said.

Trog Star Award - Obke van Zon of LRM cost his team $5.5Million/year and was a disaster on both defense and offense. LAWD, just no redeeming value at all in this guy's 2049 season. Tell us how it feels to be his manager @bruin228

Farik Ammar of Seoul was also notably poor with a $22.6 Million salary. @Karl Hungus, what you say?

I need some help deciding on this one. Obke Van Zon was just an utter failure in all phases and costs $5Million a year. Farik Ammar was an average batter at least, but on $22.6 Million a year. I need the managers of these players to help me to decide who the Trog Star is.

Last edited:

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Farik Ammar of Seoul was also notably poor with a $22.6 Million salary. @Karl Hungus, what you say?

He's a turkey. He came over in a trade and had played well over his whole career, and was also in his prime. I signed him to that extension at a time when there were no free agents in the league- whatever we did that changed that happened either one or two seasons later. Losing him was not a risk I could take, and IIRC correctly that is about $5m/yr less than he had been asking. He took the money and went Mo Vaughn on me.

I definitely won't be executing that team option. :thumbsup:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Second Base (included all players who started 40+ games)

Here we have a position with absolute youthful dominance, with 4 out of the top 5 players being on minimum salary. Wow. One interesting note is that Moscow has 2 players listed here with starter numbers and nobody on the SS list, so I assume one of them played SS despite being labeled 2B. Obviously that's going to happen many times across the league, but it was kind of rare in this case in that they were both very good players who started over 100+ games each. @Wendell Gee, if you want me to include one of these guys in the SS analysis instead I can!

19250781171_2ba140c5f1_b.jpg

North League Best Bat - Ronald Riggs for Moscow hit 41 HRs from the 2B position, which is very nice power for a position that averages pretty low HR totals.

North League Best Glove - Andy "Bobandy" Darrach of Helsingborg edges out both of the Moscow players (not sure where each played) in the fielding category with ZR and EFF of 9.3 and 1.033, respectively. The Man, The Myth, The Legend continues to rack up accolades :laughing:

North League Best Value - Ronald Riggs was ridiculously good value for a minimum salary player. One of the best bats at the position and good fielding as well.

South League Best Bat - Rick Montgomery for False Bay has arguably the best bat of any 2B in the league.

South League Best Glove - Josellto Garce for Buenos Aires has the best stats in the South when it comes to fielding, but there are definitely several better players in the North in this category.

South League Best Value - Rick Montgomery for False Bay has an amazing bat and is also on minimum salary, nice value there

Trog Star Award - Not a lot of terrible performances by highly paid players at this position. I'm going to go with Javier Villareal because he was below average batting and he was a liability in the field too, while making $6Million/year. Fortunately for @Wendell Gee, Moscow's youngsters are already performing well!

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Imarika is just the only guy I couldn't get rid of. Saunders gonna be a GOAT though which is nice

To me, this actually makes your $/win number even more impressive, to me. If you had been able to cut him and replace him with a 490k player, your $/win amounts would have been like half what they are, lol.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
$3Mish per WAR is a good number to me, zo had been freeloading for a while

Wolfman21

so happy with Chad Childs. He fell in his draft because OSA had his ratings as garbage. My scout had him as what he is now though so i traded up to get him at #9.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Shortstop (included all players who started 40+ games)

This seems to be the worst position for batting in general, so guys who are good batters can really add a ton of value. There's one youngster on top, but other than that most of the best players are established guys.

19250780761_51bb9cc54a_b.jpg

North League Best Bat - Really close between Noda and Seguin, but I'll give the nod to Noda from Seoul.

North League Best Glove - Noda from Seoul has a really amazing glove with ZR and EFF ratings of 12.2 and 1.033, respectively

North League Best Value - Had to drop all the way down to Ivan Camacho from Dublin to find the best North league minimum salary player. Not the best bat, but he played solid defense! One of Moscows players who are listed at 2B probably slot in here instead.

South League Best Bat - Ramao Gigente of False Bay has the best bat of any Shortstop by far, really a nice combination of a player who gets on base very well and still has power. 34 HRs from this spot is over 3x the average

South League Best Glove- Joe Kirk of Kabul has the best glove in the South with 6.2 and 1.02 ZR and EFF ratings

South League Best Value - Ramao Gigente of False Bay wins this easily for being the best bat and still on a minimum salary.

Trog Star Award - I'm going to give this one to Neil Inions of False Bay for having a below average bat, being a liability in the field, and costing over $6 Million per year. I'm sure @jdlikewhoa isn't too worried with Gigente already playing well.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Third Base (included all players who started 40+ games)

So far this is the position where the established players are definitely most dominating when compared to the youngsters. No players above +5 WAR and also no highly negative expensive players. So far definitely the closest value between the best and worst players.

19250780971_f122bdb2b1_b.jpg

North League Best Bat - Rafael Juarez from Hampsterdam, Yacizi from Moscow, and Michel Overslutzen from Las Vegas are extremely close. I'll give the edge to Juarez because he has more HRs and also contributed a good number of Stolen Bases as well, which is still offensive production.

North League Best Glove - Dermot McHesshi is your best glove in the North with 5.6 and 1.029 ZR and EFF, respectively

North League Best Value - Craig Decker of Helsinborg (and the 80/80 BTT rating) is the best minimum salary player in the North. He should have a nice future.

Honorable mention here, though he's not on minimum salary, should go to Overslutzen. I was really surprised that he was traded away for relatively little, when he's as productive as players costing 2 or 3 times that amount. I figured there would be a much bigger push for him from the playoff teams, but @doh snapped him up relatively cheaply.

South League Best Bat - Jesus Bernal from False Bay definitely had the best bat in the south, but might be like 5th place in the North at 3B

South League Best Glove- David Lopez of Kabul has a really nice glove with 9.7 and 1.043 ZR and EFF, respectively

South League Best Value - There is a real lack of minimum salary players at this position in the South League, but Bernaldin Morato, Edward Moon, and Marco Eirosa are all fairly close. I'll give the nod to Bernaldin Morato of Little Rock Miners since he was a starter most of the season, while the others played more spot duty.

If I hadn't limited myself to minimum salary players, I'd have taken Aiden Axford from Cairo, as he had a good season on $840k salary.

Trog Star Award - Nobody really horrible. I'll give it to Carlos Valdez from Key West, but at only $750k he's really not hurting @Gooksta mcuh at all.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
North League Best Value - Had to drop all the way down to Ivan Camacho from Dublin to find the best North league minimum salary player. Not the best bat, but he played solid defense! One of Moscows players who are listed at 2B probably slot in here instead.

-CTRL + F Dublin
-WOW MENTIONED, AND FOR SOMETHING POSITIVE

Got me a little teary after a long, grueling season in Ireland.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Lynam started 120 games at 3rd. Not that it really matter

If u had him listed at 3rd, you would have won a coveted BTT position award, lol.

There really isn't an easy way to sort by where they actually played, unfortunately. I'm just stuck with the position listed in their stats.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Would you guys prefer all corner outfielders listed together, or should I break it out by L/R ?

Wolfman21

outfield is tough. Like Davies for me...hes listed as a CF, but he played a ton of games in LF as well. And Gonzalez is listed as a 3B but he started in LF for me most of the time.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I'll just do them all separately I think, because SS is similar in overlapping a ton with 2b and 3b. If you guys are playing people out of their listed position, you know where to look for them!

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Imarika is just the only guy I couldn't get rid of. Saunders gonna be a GOAT though which is nice
When I drafted Saunders (It think I moved up to get him in the 2nd or 3rd round), I thought he was going to be a GOAT. When I traded him to you, I thought he'd be a nice starter nothing more. LAWD he's blossomed.

Also @Travis7401 this is probably the coolest thing ever done in the league. Awesome.

Very curious... Where'd you find the payroll? According to my accounting page, I have $139m in player expenses but $50m of that was IFA.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
When I drafted Saunders (It think I moved up to get him in the 2nd or 3rd round), I thought he was going to be a GOAT. When I traded him to you, I thought he'd be a nice starter nothing more. LAWD he's blossomed.

Also @Travis7401 this is probably the coolest thing ever done in the league. Awesome.

Very curious... Where'd you find the payroll? According to my accounting page, I have $139m in player expenses but $50m of that was IFA.

The "payroll" I'm using in those calcs was strictly the salary of everyone on your WBL roster at the end of the season. Obviously this isn't the correct calculation, because some people have players on salary in the minor leagues, on the 40 man, etc, but it was the easiest way to calculate based on my data set without diving further into it and it should be close enough for comparison purposes at least.

If I was going to do a more detailed comparison, I'd bring in the league financial stuff as a separate database from the players, but that's going to far down the rabbit hole to be fun, lol. With a single large database and pivot tables, I made all these reports in just about 30 minutes. Writing about it and such takes longer.

Last edited:

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Sorry Lando but even as the author of the Dowher rankings I've gotta say this craps on it.

It has charts.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Left Field (included players with at least 40 starts)

Lots of players above +5 WAR and lots of young players above +1WAR. Seems to be one of the better hitting positions in the league as well. The highest WAR player on the list Arthur Mwangata of Cairo didn't even make the superlatives lists because he was too well rounded, lol. He's sure to be on other all star lists! Overall the best hitting position in the league, IMO.

19254781161_7a39128ecd_b.jpg

North League Best Bat - Jamie Juarez of Las Vegas had the best bat in the North League, fueled by a .353 batting average and .600 Slg. If he figures out how to add more walks to the equation, he could be the best hitter in the league.

North League Best Glove - Carlos Ovadilla of Seoul has ZR and EFF of 15.5 and 1.135, respectively. Really amazing year for him.

North League Best Value - Brett Johnson of Lisbon is your North League best value player. He combined solid hitting and good defense with his league minimum salary.

South League Best Bat - This was a close race between Felix Perez and Mike Harris, but I give the nod to Perez for Kabul, as he's just ever so slightly better than Harris in each category.

South League Best Glove- Luis Velez from San Fransisco has a ZR and EFF of 6.3 and 1.035, respectively

South League Best Value - Mike Harris from North Dakota was one of the best hitting Left Field players in the league (played DH mostly) and he's on minimum salary. Great production from him this season.

Trog Star Award - Nobody truly terrible in this group, but Daniel Cook for the Danny Tanners wins the award for his combination of subpar hitting and terrible defense while making above minimum wages. Still, not the worst since he's still making only $735k

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Right Field (included players with at least 40 starts)

We had more numbers in RF than any other position, meaning there are probably a lot of guys that play other positions on this list. There are two superstar type seasons and then a pretty big drop from there and a lot of bad seasons as well. More -WAR players at this position than any other, I think, again probably due to them being used out of position or as subs. The South League also absolutely crushes the North League when it comes to getting hitting from this spot. Weird.

19063372080_6c59d2af5e_b.jpg

North League Best Bat - Jamie Robles of Moscow wins the North's best bat award, but he'd place 4th or 5th in the South. Still a nice season for him.

North League Best Glove - Leon Rivera from Lisbon with an unbelievable 20.4 and 1.1 ZR and EFF, respectively. A +WAR player based on fielding alone. Dani Guittierez from Hamsterdam also had an amazing fielding season

North League Best Value - Carlos Beltran from Istanbul had a nice season on minimum salary.

South League Best Bat - Miguel Chavez.... JESUS that season .324 Avg, 46 Homers, .642 SLG, 1.01 OPS

South League Best Glove- Willie Wilder 13.7 and 1.1 ZR and EFF, respectively

South League Best Value - Fred Smith from San Francisco, definitely one of the very best young players in the league. 152 OPS+ on minimum salary. Does need to work on defense.

Trog Star Award - I was worried the riggers were going to take this one with Caden "train wreck" Trail, but Didier Mouton, $6 million man for Buenos Aires, played just as bad or worse and on a higher salary. He did nothing right this season. WOMP WOMP WOMP. The Riggers RF Collective was amazingly bad, and is therefore worth mentioning here. They were so bad that -0.4 WAR AAA replacement player Hollingsworth, a big liability in the field, was a huge upgrade over BOTH Trail and Kramer (demoted to AAA).

PS. DEAR @Lloyd Carr STOP PLAYING ENQUIST in the field. -26.8 ZR and 0.856 EFF. LAWD almighty, that's like half his WAR lost to fielding. I know you've already got a DH, but if you played Enquiest DH he'd have been like a +6 WAR player this season!

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
You can give best bat to harris. Perez was DH all season

Harris mostly played DH too. He started the season at LF for about 40 games, but once I shuffled my outfield to drop Kramer and bring Solano Lares up, I played Lares in the field and put Harris at DH. Lares actually had a nice season for a minimum salary player, with +0.8 WAR in only half a season.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Center Field (included players with at least 40 starts)

Here we have the second best season WAR from a field player in Tin-Jong Tsao and a solid train wreck story at the bottom as well! Another good group of young players in the 490k range producing nice stats. Not as many great bats as the corner outfielder spots.

18630422663_122021f56c_b.jpg

North League Best Bat - Really close between Farid from Las Vegas and Jean Luc Lopez from Helsinborg. I'll give the nod to Farid for his edge in HRs and RBIs

North League Best Glove - Paco Menano from Dublin with arguably the best season fielding in the league, definitely top 3 for sure. ZR of 19.2 and EFF of 1.11

North League Best Value - Stuart Binning from Moscow, at only 22 years old had a really nice season fueled by his defensive play and his base stealing. Cool to see a player with an average bat end up over +3 WAR for the season, especially on minimum salary.

South League Best Bat - Tin Jong Tsao just a really well rounded hitter who also contributed a good number of stolen bases.

South League Best Glove - Tin Jong Tsao for BA had a nice bat as well, but that defense is really what put him over the top. +22.4 and 1.09 ratings, wow.

South League Best Value - Young Ryan Fuller From Key West wins the best value award. Put together a solid season hitting and on defense, nice work!

Trog Star Award - Adrian Guitterez. $10million salary and he was a liablity in the field and far below average for the position at the plate. OUCH. @jdlikewhoa does this hurt ur soul?

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Here are the rest of the DH players that weren't listed in another position. I'm not going to give superlatives for this group because there aren't players for several categories and many of the DHs have already been listed. Still, Larry Schaffer for Cairo is worth mentioning as having a notably good season for a South League team and Henny Cotterell of Helsingborg was your best listed DH for the North. No trog stars on this list, as the only -WAR player you can see how Moscow were smart to move Schuur to the DH spot, because his hitting is actually solid enough and the only reason he has -WAR is due to defense.

18628501454_2d0039ea05_b.jpg

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Now that i know youre doing this I'll make an effort to change the positions to what they actually play

Yeah, even if you just wait till the end of the year and switch them to what they played most, that would help the data. You can switch them right back the next sim if you have some other reasoning for wanting them listed a certain way. I know I have a system that helps my organization and I typically like to have them labeled as their #1 field position, even if I don't play them there.