• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

This War of Mine - Whiskey Play

Wolfman21

The War is Over going into Night 42. Maybe I got lucky or maybe watching a few of @Travis7401 's videos really helped me get off on a good step but that was much easier than I expected. I'm gonna go with just getting lucky. I feel like I had the best team. Bruno was a great cook. Katia was great at bargaining. Roman was great with combat and Pavle was a good runner. What else do you really need? I could have made it to the end with Pavle alive but I wanted to see how far I could push some folks living in an apartment complex. I realized their breaking point when the dude pulled out a shotgun and blasted me.

The Hatchet/keeping the temp in the 50's during the hard cold winter really saved me. Being able to break down furniture at home and on scavenging runs to get fuel was huuuuuuuuge. I also ended up building a pistol. The herb shop to make cigarettes was big as Roman and Bruno love to smoke. The alcohol still was huge in trading.

I only "stole" twice in the entire playthrough. Funny thing is, prolly 1/2 of the items i stole I never used. Broken flak jacket, broken shotgun and broken helmet I never repaired/used. I ended the playthrough with like 7 can foods and 7 raw food while my medicine stores were at like 6 bandages, 5 herbal meds and 4 regular meds. I never had a day or night where I though, "If I don't get *this item*, I'm screwed".

Still had an absolute blast though and envision myself doing multiple playthroughs.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Said you had gotten through day/night 14? Vidyas?

giphy.gif

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I'll post another vid in a few hours. Going to do one per day. Had dog/vet emergency, that's why I didn't post today. Woof.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
What if you Netflixed it? I can decide if I want to watch a bumbling whsikey drunk play a game for 2 hours straight on my own.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I thought you had vidyas done though day 14 and were just waiting to release them. That's what your post said.

I made a bunch more videos tonight and also discovered that when you leave the game, reloading it causes different random events to happen and it only seems to load correctly at the start of a day? Anyway, I started Day 8 or whatever we left off on but instead of having people get wounded, we just lost all our food. FUUUU. I made videos through Day 13 (and actually did Day and Night 13 twice because of discovering the loading issue). My next playthrough will start on Day 14 and we are in the period of violence.

Or am I just Oklahoman?

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Night 9: We take our booze to the military outpost and we were willing to trade for an awesome amount. 4 Booze for 3 raw food and a pistol! We actually have a fair amount of ammo for the pistol too, so this should come in handy. The 3 raw food will help a lot since we need to feed all 4 of our house guests. We arrive home to find someone did try to rob us again, but we managed to fight them off with our knives and the fact that our house is fully boarded up now!

Day 10: Our squirrel traps still haven't caught anything, but I used ol' Bruno to cook all 3 of the raw food. The trader guy showed up and I traded one of our knives (now extraneous with our pistol). We traded all of our herbs and the knife for 2 cans of food and some fuel! The two cans of food will help us survive when resources get scarce. Bruno and Marko ate on day 10. I'm going to feed Arica and Pavle on Day 11 to get on a 2 person feeding per day schedule. We listen to the radio and it predicts decent weather but more crime. Throw on some classical music for morale and we're good to go! Some new looting areas popped up and I'm excited to try out the construction site because it sounds like it will have a ton of materials.

BTW, Congrats to @Wolfman21 on beating the game on the first playthrough. I hope the videos helped. At the very least, I got you on the 2 squirrel traps + Booze plan which is pretty key. With both squirrel traps rolling, the food is relatively self sustaining so you don't have to do anything drastic, and then the booze helps to assuage any depression and also gives you a great trading commodity as well. You figured out the hatchet on your own, but I love the fact that it doubles as a weapon for defending the house and as way to harvest more wood during winter. If I hadn't been lucky to make a good trade for a pistol, I would have built the hatchet ASAP as my extra weapon.

My playthrough is going quite a bit better than usual for me too, so I'm sort of wondering if they tuned things to make it slightly easier when it comes to random events? Maybe I'm just getting lucky. I've only had good "random events" happen with neighbors so far and it sounds like all of your neighbor interactions went well too. My first few playthroughs, the neighbors would sometimes ambush and kill or rob your people if you sent them out to "help."

Wolfman21

Yeah, i'm thinking i just got extremely lucky. Every time my people went out to help, they returned in good health and usually with some type of commodity. I did have some rebels show up at my door towards the end wanting me to rat out my neighbors for an aide run I helped them on a few days prior. They were gonna give me food and bandages if i did(like 4 of each, so a good portion). Since I was doing great on both, I chose not to. It was a good choice as everyone was sad after Pavle's death and this basically took care of that. With Bruno and Roman both being smokers, I tried to make sure I made some type of cigarettes at least every so often. And since Katia was the only coffee drinker, i usually never ran out of coffee and traded for it when necessary.

As far as the alcohol, towards the end when there were so many "DANGER" places that I didn't want to fool with, it became an extremely valuable commodity as some nights i just took 2-3 moonshine to the hotel or house and traded for some stuff with them. In one of my earliest scavenging trips, i think to the supermarket, i ran across a pile that had like 25 sugar in it. Just a shit ton. SO i used up all that to make that booze.

The Hatchet was a damned god send. I immediately tore up every piece of furniture in my house that i didn't build and every scavenging run I did during the winter I took it and tore up a bunch of shit. I was burning through 5-6 fuel per day JUST to heat the house. Then you're looking at another 1-2 for food and another 1-2 for alcohol.

You definitely got me off on the right foot. Just the squirrel traps and radio were things that had I not known about how vital they were, i would have been wayyyy behind. Its almost like i cheated, haha.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Yeah, I noticed that and I ended up feeding him the next day instead, so he's now on the hungry/very hungry cycle until I feel like I can spare a meal to get him out of it.

Started playing tonight and my drunk ass forgot to record day/night 14. That'll happen in Whiseky Play games. Recorded Day 13 twice and didn't record Day 14, lol.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
The two squirrel traps, water still, weapon, and patching up the house is what I try to get to early in every playthrough but my trading commodity kind of depends on the supplies I find. In other playthroughs where I had random surpluses of herbs/tobacco/etc I upgraded the workshop and then constructed the shit you need for gardens and for rolling your own cigs and creating your own medicine. That stuff also made for valuable trading and I won that way. Generally I go with booze as my trading commodity, because you can access that still with an earlier level workshop and you often run into a lot of sugar early in the supermarket, but if the game gives me a bunch of other supplies early I go with the flow.

Wolfman21

2nd playthrough is going ok so far. At day 7...boarded up 2 parts of house, built one squirrel trap, built rain water catcher, built radio, upgraded stove.

This one's been much tougher so far. Food has been hard to come by as well as parts. Parts are killing me because I can't build a 2nd trap and I can't upgrade my workshops. I have, however, found 13 fertilizer :laughing:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Night 10: We go to loot the constructions site, we find a decent amount of materials, but we see footsteps above us and hear whispers about surrounding and killing me. I decided not to let Marko get DP'd, so I ran away home with a 3/4 load of materials just to be safe. We arrive home to the outbreak of crime but it was a quiet night.

Day 11: We make some water and feed both Arica and Pavle. Both of our squirrel traps hit today! WINNER WINNER SQUIRREL DINNER. The single mom shows up and asks us to help protect her from bandits, so we send Marko to help guard them. Probably a risky move, but I have my rules. Rest of the day is kinda boring, we're just making water filters and fuel!

I feel pretty good about the period of violence, having the pistol and a knife. The radio says the weather should hold for a bit too, so even though I don't have a wood burning stove set up yet I should have enough time to accumulate resources to build that before the winter.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Night 11 - We send Pavle to the hospital and he scavenges a fair amount of stuff, including some food. Good scavenging trip, overall and we stashed a fair amount of supplies! We arrive home to find that we've been raided, but managed to chase the thugs off with two bullets. Marko also returned @OU11 and brought back 10 bullets for his trouble! Marko is now sick doe.

Day 12 - Got some more food in the squirrel traps. We fed Arica, Bruno, and Marko this day.

Night 12 - we ventured to the Semi Detached house. Some good scavenging and trading possibilities available at this site. We traded a can of food and some weapons parts (now that we have a knife and gun) for a bunch of parts and fuel and then stashed a bunch of materials as well! We arrive home to find the night was calm

Day 13 you can watch if you want, but I had to do an alternate reality take on it in the next video! I forgot you when you leave it loads the game in the morning regardless of what you've done, so I lost this part.

Here is the alternate reality take on Day 13! Some similar shit happens but I'll recap it here!

Day 13 - We fed Marko on Day 13 but forgot to feed Pavel Got some more food in the squirrel trap which was nice. We upgraded our weapons shop and determined we need more weapons parts in order to make saws and a hatchet.

Night 13 - We return to the hospital with Marko to get treatment for his illness. We get Marko some pills (this is a good strategy tip if you are dealing with injuries or illness and can reach the hospital). We also brought home a 3/4 load of materials. We arrived home to once again find that we'd been attacked in the night, but defended ourselves with 2 ammo.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
On Day 14 I thought Bruno was going to kill hisself, so I had to build a herb station to make him some cigs. He complained the whole time he made his vice, but now he has 14 cigs to get him through 4-5 days which should be enough to keep him from dragging down our group. Great chef, big debbie downer.

I also thought I could come back to help that dude at sniper junction but I screwed up by leaving. Everyone was sad for days because Zatia left him. Marko was hit hardest asking if hewould have done anything different. Marko is the real MVP honestly, idk how I'd get through without his 3 extra slots on his back pack.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I really messed up, everyone is hurt or wounded. Having to waste multiple nights heading to the hospital due to having no bandages. Luckily I made 3 beds early when Zatia showed up so I can have three sleep during the day, without that recovery time Bruno or Pavle would surely be dead right now. They just can't get right. I can't make 3 squirrel traps which is effing me over, I have no food. I also have a pistol I found, but I didn't get any bullets for it so I thought I was defending with it for a week and I wasn't. Many were hurt due to my ignorance so I finally built another stabber and we're good again.

Biggest thing I've learned is too keep your characters' health and wounds in check. Lawd I'm in deep shit right now.

Travis how do you leave the game? I tried to leave at the beginning of the night and it just erased the previous day and started me there. I end up having to wait for a calm night so it doesn't keep changing what happened during the raid when I continue.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I gave up on my first play through. I had no food and didn't understand some key game mechanics early despite whiskey videos.

Doing much better this time.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I'm going to keep trudging through. Night 14 I take Pavle to the hospital to get meds and I think I'll be good enough to get marko (who is only sick) to head back to sniper's junction and break down the door in the building. Gotta be something good in there. I'm running out of places to go without stealing, and I don't have anything to trade with besides the gun. I need some sugar to get another bottle or two of shine and I think I can trade for enough to get me going again.

I need the period of violence to stop so I can let two people sleep at night. Having two guards is killing me. And them too :laughing:

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Btw, thanks for convincing me to buy this you'll. I never would think this is a game I'd get into, but it's amazing. While I watched the whiskey plays I lol'd at engineer travis for having a notebook but it's actually really necessary. If you don't know what's in each night spot you will waste a precious night being a dumbass :laughing:

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
If you like this game, you'd love OOTP!

My own whiskey notes are a scribbled mess. Probably going to have OneNote on my tablet next to me going forward since I can type faster than write.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I got through the lows but now Marko is broken. I pushed him too hard while the others were looking death in the eye. He wont even stand up. I made him go to the construction site and he had to run from the armed military shooting at him, got some nice loot tho. You did well marko, you may rest now. You may rest.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Well arica died, errbody shut down besides zlata then Pavel died. And she shut down so i lost. Got to day 27. It all fell apart taking on a 5th person, that was just too much.

Started a new play through, helped old boy get to his kid and got 5 diamonds. Oh hell yeah. Gotta protect them hoes because they are going to get me some great loot. Raiders def gonna steal them tonight knowing this game

Should have left them at the junction until i unlock the outpost to trade

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I got the diamonds and flipped them immediately to ramp up. That was probably the wrong strategy, though, idk.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
In my drunk stupor I forgot to hit record on Day 14 so you get alternate realities of Day 13 and a description of Day 14.

Day 14 - Found meat in squirrel traps, fed pavel and bruno.

Night 14 - Went back and cleaned out supermarket and got weapons parts but not quite enough to build a hatchet (need one more part).

Day 15 - I mill around the house for a bit and call it a quick day.

Night 15 - Back to the detached house with Marko to finish scavenging and I trade the booze for food and more booze making materials and some parts. I bring back a full load of building supplies along with the food and parts! Left at least 1 load of materials in the detached house.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
So the hatchet is the greatest thing ever... I see why you want it so bad

You have to get it before winter, consumables for your oven will kill you

Brings me to another question,do you need a few ovens? Seems like one wont do it

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
You can feed the stove with more than one piece of fuel at a time. I often load it with 4-5 pieces of fuel in a day.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Doing much better on this next playthrough. Squirrel trap about to be set on day 12. Already have a profitable business feeding on the vices of the city with my moonshine and cigs. Plenty of food, for now. Gun and knife to defend.

Accidentally killed some homeless with Pavle though. :(

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Yeah, I stole a gem in the school basement and all sorts of homeless were scrambling and at least one was chasing me. I was just trying to run away but was panicking trying to find a way out. Before I knew it Pavle went rogue and was beating a homeless over the head with the shovel.

Maybe I clicked an icon I didn't mean to, IDK. But to me, Pavle acting on his own to me.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Actually I whiskey stole last night by accident and forgot about it, returned to the school today and the guy came after me and tons of homeless were fleeing the building. At some point Pavle went rogue.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I did the same sort of thing on accident in the hospital, but I didn't kill anyone. Barely got out alive with doctors beating on me and an armed thug shooting that AK at me.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Holy shit, ran out of disk space on my 1TB drive. Too many whiskey play and un edited fishing videos, lol. Need to delete them once I upload.

Wolfman21

ran across this thread and it reminds me that I need to get back to my 2nd playthrough. I think my wife threw my notes away so I may just start another one :laughing:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Someday I'll have to finish uploading videos for this :laughing: I got about 10 dynasties and none complete (Not that you can ever complete an FM dynasty, but still).

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Oh WE IN LUCK, I have some extra videos!

Day 16:
we arrive home to find that we've been raided but the fought them off with our guns. TAKE THAT OBAMA! One of our squirrel traps has squirrels in it. YES. Bruno and Pavel eat some food. A trader arrives, always exciting when the trader arrives, and we trade some herbs and 2 electrical components for a weapon part (wanted for hatchet), a lock pick, and a bullet. A fair haul! We make a hatchet, which will be important because winter is bound to come soon.

I accidentally ended the vidya short, so here is Night 16:

Night 16:
Marko to scavenge, Arica and Bruno to guard, Pavle to sleep. We're going back to the construction site and hoping that the bad men are gone. Looting goes much better this time and we manage to stash a ton of shit and then we bring a full load of materials as well. We've got a few areas that are currently off limits due to lack of saw/lockpick, but we've probably got 3+ loads of materials and weapons parts stashed.

Day 17 will be on the next video, but we did arrive home to find we'd been raided, but once again our .44 make sure all yo' kids don't grow.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Day 17 -
We got raided, but chased off the bandits with @pavel's gun. Marko is more sick than he was, so I send him to bed. Bruno makes some food. We find more food in one of our squirrel traps, which is nice. Re-bait the squirrel trap and we are doing well on food. Marko and Arica eat food today. We also gave Marko some herbal meds and then sent him to bed.

Someone arrives at the door and it is the lady who we helped out last week. She has another place to stay now, so she gives us a broken shotgun, 10 bullets, and 5 weapons parts. This will really come in handy, getting more ammo and a better weapon as well. Moar guns! I drink some ginger beer drinks in real life and the digital people make some booze as well.

Night 17 -
We have Marko sleep, Bruno sleeps, Pavle guards the house, and Arica heads out scavenging. We head back to the construction site and move our stash to a location closer to the door. We brought back a nice load of materials along with a few weapons parts

Day 18 -
We arrive back home to find that the night was quiet! Now Bruno isn't doing well either and could do with some pills. We make some water with Arica. Pavle and Bruno eat today. We catch more squirrels and re-bait the squirrel trap, so we've been pretty lucky lately. Since I have extra food right now, I actually double eat with pavle to get him ahead of the hunger curve for the first time since I got behind several days ago. We make a shotgun (and 22 rounds of ammo). We have a plethora of weapons now, so we can actually trade away some of our weapons now. Listening to the radio, it sounds like the violence is slowing, but supply shortages are getting worse.

Night 18 -
Bruno goes scavenging to the hospital to get free meds! Arica and Marko guard. Pavle sleeps tonight. We bring some pure alcohol, booze, and a diamond to trade at the hospital. We get bruno on some meds and finde some medicine in the rubble. Then we trade with the good doc... we trade some medicine back to the good doc (since we have a fair bit at home and since the doc is around to give us free meds). We end up with a pretty good haul of some bandages, some smokes, and materials.... but most importantly, bruno gets free meds! We were raided again in the night, but used our shotgun and pistol to defend the house with 5 ammo. Getting a little cavalier with our shooting now, but we didn't lose any supplies and nobody was injured.