• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Southpaw Gon' Look Are you from PD looking for evidence on @brick, sir? The Miami Hurricanes Thread aka Baseless Rumors Corner

Keith1212

The football program will never be better than what it has been for the last 10 years without a change in the administration. If you're fine with that, that's cool. If you disagree then I'll ask the obligatory why.

Other than that, Miami signed another high ranked class where the biggest recruits will most likely disappoint over the course of their careers and the role players will be that or worse.

Thoughts?

fsuprime

Smaller ucf style stadium for a long term goal for footall.

I think focusing more on becoming a big time basketball program needs to happen. Take advantage of bron bron and the heat being in the area.

Keith1212

I don't want anything technically. I have no say in any of this. Miami is a basketball school now based on my view of its present and future.

I would prefer that Miami be a dominant football program but ultimately it doesn't matter. It is what it is at this point. When Larranaga leaves, there should be no faith in the Miami administration to hire an equivalent hc. 'Naga was blind luck or some other miracle occurrence.

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
More rumblings about the possibility of moving to Beckham's new MLS stadium whenever he gets it built:

David Beckham’s group is exploring the feasibility of building a soccer stadium that would be large enough to accommodate the University of Miami football team, and UM would have interest if the stadium meets the school’s requirements and if the Hurricanes can somehow escape their long Sun Life Stadium lease, according to sources on both sides.
Beckham’s group and UM have had preliminary discussions, but the Beckham camp and MLS likely need a couple of months to determine whether it’s realistic.

UM has told the Beckham camp that it needs a stadium with at least 40,000 seats to accommodate Hurricanes games; Beckham’s group initially has spoken of having 25,000 seats. UM also would need the stadium to have sufficient parking, large enough locker-rooms and enough suites.

Though Beckham likes the idea, there are significant obstacles that could torpedo a UM/MLS shared facility. Perhaps the biggest: UM would need to negotiate to escape the 18 remaining years on its lease with Sun Life Stadium. It’s unclear how much Dolphins and stadium owner Stephen Ross would seek financially to permit UM to do that, or if he would allow it at all. UM has no idea because the matter has never been broached.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...la-takes-stand-fins-heat-marlins-chatter.html

Keith1212

Pay a ridiculous amount of money to get out of the 18 years left on the Dolphins Stadium lease, move into a relatively smaller soccer stadium, most likely without doing the due diligence and oversight necessary to insure that the stadium will be the best football/soccer stadium that it can be, and just ignore that almost every aspect of the football program is second rate or worse when compared to the top college football programs. That sounds like just the ineptly stupid thing that the UM administration would do.

Anyway it's never happening. Beckham's group is trying to draw local support for a new stadium somewhere. Once his group realizes that the vast majority of people in the shit South Florida region don't care about Miami at all then these bullshit rumors will die out.

Miami's best bet for a new or vastly improved football stadium are the Dolphins building one. Miami's best bet for a football program that isn't mediocre as fuck is a new administration and a new BOT. I have a better chance of getting hit by lightning while free falling from an open air commercial flight collision.

GuyIncognito

Haha, I can tell this thread is just going to be a barrel of laughs. ;)

I would much prefer UM to play in a 40,000 seat stadium somewhere near the city of Miami rather than stay out there at Sun Life.

Snorky's Shame

Not sure if sharing with the MLS team is going to work for Miami. 25,000 is probably the max capacity that stadium should be (most stadiums in the league are around 20,000).

25,000 is too small for FBS also.

Lightningwar

Administrator
Miami would do well to have a 45-50K stadium near campus. That way it will appear to be full even when 35,000 people show up.

GuyIncognito

Former Cane JoJo Nicolas died in a car crash this morning. RIP.

*Scratch that, apparently he's still fighting.

Last edited:

GR8 2 B FL G8R

Did your basketball school go to the elite 8 the last three years and win two National Championships in the last decade? Or did you have 1 half decent year and go back to the NIT trash bin where you belong? :trollface:

Keith1212

There's a decent amount of young talent on the team. I don't mean "young but unable to produce because of their youth" talent either. Stacy Coley is by far the best one and the first elite type talent the team has had in years on either side of the ball. It's a shame that Coley is an awful coordinator.

The coaching staff is horrible all the way around really which has been the case for ever it seems like. It'll be interesting to watch in any case.

Anyone going to the Nebraska game?

MiamiU26

Stacy is a beast and Duke has got up to like 207 and looks huge. Hope it hasn't affected his speed but Yearby looks to have recovered as well. Just hoping Kevin can produce like Dorsey did his freshman year but that's hoping for alot. Glad Ryan isn't starting though cause I think Kevin is better.

GuyIncognito

Speaking of basketball school...

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Colts hope they've found the next Antonio Gates or Jimmy Graham.

The Colts on Sunday signed Erik Swoope, a former four-year basketball player at the University of Miami, to play tight end.

The 6-foot-5, 220-pound Swoope has never played organized football at any level, but he did start 27 of 110 basketball games while with the Hurricanes.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...-basketball-player-erik-swoope-play-tight-end

CJ_24

I'm so out of the loop that when I found out that olsen kid got suspended I had no idea he was on the team to begin with.

Keith1212

Will Kaaya be good enough and fresh enough to consistently overcome how terrible Coley is? I highly doubt it. Even if Kaaya had ace coaching in HS (what I meant by fresh), if he's around a bad OC like Coley, bad habits will form and Coley's limitations will stunt Kaaya's development. It is what it is. Coley needs a crash course in how to coach and run an offense. The moment I see this dude have Kaaya go out there and simulate a snap for no reason than I know Coley hasn't learned a damn thing and is still just copying cool things he sees real coaches doing. Only at Miami.

It would be great to see Coley stop sucking and have him run an effective, sensible offense next Monday that he learned over the course of one off season but I'm a pessimist when it comes to Miami and I don't believe in miracles. Miami is doomed for as long as the current heads of the school are there. A football program can only go as far as it's leadership and I don't just mean Golden or the lackey AD.

TLDR version

Kaaya is the starter? The Miami Hurricane football season starts in a week?

yay1.gif

Wake me up when whoever was responsible for putting Donna Shalala in place at the school leaves along with Shalala. Until then Miami is going to keep underachieving relative to their brief successful history.

GuyIncognito

Saw The U on last night, couldn't help but watch for a while. Officially ready for the season. Keith's pessimism and all.

CJ_24

I'm ambivalent. I think I'm so used to mediocrity and, more importantly, so far removed from (and disenfranchised by) footbaw/sports that I don't really care that the miami administration doesn't care to invest in footbaw and have consistently taken that approach for, basically, as long as I can remember. It'd be nic to win 10 games a year and be a perennial top 10 team but I don't care if the canes never return to that level the way I may have 3, 4 years ago.

If Shalala and company are doing a healthy jerb running the university outside of sports (I don't have enough information to know either way), I'm fine with their lack of enthusiasm for the college footbaw arms race.

GuyIncognito

Yeah, and speaking of The U, when has the administration NOT attempting to be a neutering influence on the athletic programs? That's nothing new. At Miami you have to win in spite of that. In spite of the administration, in spite of the facilities, in spite of the budget. That's just the way it is, the way it's always been. If you're down and out about that, there's nothing to tell you. None of that is changing.

fsuprime

Skill positions look good tho and Sometime s it takes a while for OL to gel.

If kayaa doesn't get ruined this season due to playing to early he can turn into a good qb imo

Soonerfan09

Kaaya has a lot of potential, but I hope he doesn't end up like Landry Jones. Jones was never able to get comfortable in the pocket and folded under pressure constantly, which I think might have been because he was always getting pressured/hit his freshman year. As long as Kaaya can keep his composure, which he has done a decent job of tonight, he can be a pretty damn good QB a year or two from now.

Brick

poor, poor miami. they don't have the advantages of the baylors, stanfords, dukes, and kansas states of the world. damn that administration holding the man down.

please.

they just haven't found the right coach. relatively cheap, come-out-of-nowhere types are just as likely to have success as any "big hire" type guys. look at the top 25 right now and note how many of those head coaches were relevant/proven more than 5 years ago.

miami has just happened to scrape the bottom of the shit barrel with coaches.

fuck it is 1:35 and i'm attempting a mak troll. speaking of scraping the bottom of shit barrel.

Last edited:

GuyIncognito

poor, poor miami. they don't have the advantages of the baylors, stanfords, dukes, and kansas states of the world. damn that administration holding the man down.

please.

they just haven't found the right coach. relatively cheap, come-out-of-nowhere types are just as likely to have success as any "big hire" type guys. look at the top 25 right now and note how many of those head coaches were relevant/proven more than 5 years ago.

miami has just happened to scrape the bottom of the shit barrel with coaches.

fuck it is 1:35 and i'm attempting a mak troll. speaking of scraping the bottom of shit barrel.

Well you're doing a pretty bad job of it. I didn't dispute any of that, did I?

In fact, the mere fact that you're comparing Miami to Stanford, Baylor, Kansas State and Duke (combined post-war MNCs: zero; combined record: 2133-2099) is pretty much exactly my point.

For Miami's budget and facilities, it has VASTLY outperformed similarly situated programs, even by your troll standards (e.g. Stanford's endowment is roughly 20x that of Miami, so I'm not sure why that's remotely comparable, but it supports my point anyway).

That you can't see any causation between Miami's lack of institutional support and its inability to field a top flight coaching staff is your problem. Obviously Miami has had coaching struggles for years, but that too is part and parcel of the program. We don't get Bobby Bowden or Bob Stoops at Miami, when we do get a Schnellenberger or a Jimmie Johnson or a Butch Davis, they high tail it to the pros. Every dynasty in the history of this program has been torn apart by coaches leaving for bigger and better offers. That's something major programs can avoid simply by dumping money on their staffs.

So what, exactly, is your point?

The guy whose perpetual also-ran program can't buy a title even with all of Nike's money is an authority on small budget athletics because....

Last edited:

MiamiU26

I want Butch back, I don't think I have ever seen Golden get on a player for a mistake they have made. He just sweats and walks back and fourth with that dumb smirk. Sure wish he would have left for St. Penn, I guess I have turned into Keith now as a Miami fan.