• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Southpaw Gon' Look Are you from PD looking for evidence on @brick, sir? The Miami Hurricanes Thread aka Baseless Rumors Corner

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I hope Golden watched these old players talking about how your #1 goal is beating Florida State. Golden is such a loser.

Keith1212

Miami is still a basketball school even with that horrendous loss. Once Larannaga leaves, all potential goodness for the basketball program leaves with him. Unless the school leadership changes for the better (the BOT particularly) the school over the long term will never be where it could be and will always underachieve.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
More like enjoying the fall of Rome

Uhh Rome being... Miami? Gibbons is rolling in his grave.

The Rome in this story was the ancient football powers in the 80s that fell to Miami. Miami were the barbarian invaders that marched on Rome, bringing the system of CFB order to an end.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Well we got smoked.

Some fan had run into Larranaga when they were on their winning streak and Coach L basically said that they were too young and had a long time to go. So at least his realistic 3rd hand comment had me a little prepared for this.

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
Yeah, Miami ain't a basketball school. Larranaga has a much tougher job than Golden does. Golden doesn't have to travel more than 25 miles to field a competitive football team.

Miami will always be a football school, even if it's not a very good one.

GuyIncognito

Haha about what I expected.

"I think Miami is going to change up on defense because I don't see how you're going to come back in this game playing that soft zone defense." - Andre Ware

Haven't watched a lot of Miami games the last few years, eh Andre?

PSUEagle

"It's really surprising Miami doesn't blitz and play more man to man with all of these great athletes they have on defense."

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Finally finishing the U part 2 (had to shut it off after the BS Ohio State game)

Very frustrating. Just go hire Davis before some other school snatches him up. I like Golden and his vision, but he hasn't delivered and gives no indication of delivering.

Meanwhile Butch is basically auditioning for the corch job on this show. Snooze away Miami admins.

Wooly

Uhh Rome being... Miami? Gibbons is rolling in his grave.

The Rome in this story was the ancient football powers in the 80s that fell to Miami. Miami were the barbarian invaders that marched on Rome, bringing the system of CFB order to an end.
Impressed with the Gibbons reference.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Randy Shannon to the Gators. Ow.

He did a great job at Arkansas these past 2 years getting some real gems out of the Miami area (Denver Kirkland and Alex Collins - starters since freshman). He also helped turn Martrell Spaight from a seldom used LB to 1st team All-SEC this year.

A real coup for the Gators and a big loss for my Hogs (although realistically I didn't think he would be in Arkansas for long).

Keith1212

You thought there was a chance he was getting fired in the same time frame real football programs fire their head coaches? lol

Miami's leadership (Shalala, most of the BoT's and most of the people underneath them as well) is terrible and on top of that they don't actually care about football if you can't tell. At all. 3 shit hires in a row. Garbage retreads and crap for assistant coaches under each HC. Garbage facilities operated by under qualified staff. Miami football has been mismanaged for over a decade and the results on the field are the proof of it.

The 4th HC is going to be shit too. Whoever that ends up being will be in Miami after next season unless Golden finds an out before then.

Keith1212

The last hope for Miami football's resurrection is if that piece of shit Robert Fain screws up by his own standards and manages to find a good school president with a real background (the opposite of Donna Shalala who has been an academic and a politician her entire life which is garbage) who will then hopefully appoint a real AD that can at least seriously work to turn a joke program into a high level one. The school's spending practice's might have to change as well.

Wooly

The last hope for Miami football's resurrection is if that piece of shit Robert Fain screws up by his own standards and manages to find a good school president with a real background (the opposite of Donna Shalala who has been an academic and a politician her entire life which is garbage) who will then hopefully appoint a real AD that can at least seriously work to turn a joke program into a high level one. The school's spending practice's might have to change as well.

I would have thought that an "academic and politician" would be the perfect kind of school president. Isn't that how you run a school...a combination of academics and politics? Or does the University of Miami exist to have a football team.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I would have thought that an "academic and politician" would be the perfect kind of school president. Isn't that how you run a school...a combination of academics and politics? Or does the University of Miami exist to have a football team.

Well not to be a spoiler, but she cozies up to a lobbyist in Billy Corbin part two.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Thanks Keith.

Congrats to Corch Golden, Shalalalala, and the Board of Trustees on a #65 finish in the final AP poll.

Keith1212

I have no idea but that's ok. I was going to try and offer some BS insight but I haven't seen enough games. I assume the game was nationally televised? I had no idea. I watched the Rangers lose to the Islanders last night. I would have preferred to watch the Canes in this instance lol

Keith1212

Article that provides insight on Duke and Miami

Duke vs. Miami final score: 3 things we learned from the Blue Devils' second straight loss

By Mike Rutherford @CardChronicle on Jan 13 2015, 11:27p +
usa-today-8329191.0.jpg

Rob Kinnan-USA TODAY Sports
After starting the season with 14 straight convincing victories, Duke has suddenly lost back-to-back games by double digits. Is it time to panic in Krzyzewskiville?
Tweet (143) Share (804) Share
The common thought after the first two months of the 2014-15 college basketball season was that Kentucky was the best team in the country, and that Duke was the only squad with a legitimate chance of stopping them.
It made sense. The Blue Devils were loaded with NBA talent and had rolled through their first 14 opponents, a stretch that included arguably the season's most impressive victory, an 80-70 win over Wisconsin inside the Kohl Center.
Now, suddenly, that line of thinking has evaporated.
Miami became the second straight team to take down Duke Tuesday night, dismantling the Blue Devils inside Cameron Indoor Stadium, 90-74. The Hurricanes shot a blistering 51.8 percent from the floor, including 10-of-20 from behind the 3-point line. Four Hurricanes scored in double figures, led by Angel Rodriguez's 24 points and Manu Lecomte's 23. The torrid shooting allowed the Canes to run away with the game despite being outrebounded 41-31.
Here are three things we learned from this surprising result in Durham:
1. Angel Rodriguez loves the big stage

Rodriguez, who is in his first year at Miami after transferring from Kansas State, spoke before the game about his eagerness to show what he can do in his first appearance at Cameron Indoor. He didn't disappoint, burying four 3-pointers on his way to a game-high 24 points, while also chipping in five assists and five steals.
After a slow start to begin the game, Rodriguez exploded for 8 points in a span of 38 seconds to help the Hurricanes turn a six-point deficit into a two-point lead.

Rodriguez has emerged as not only Jim Larranaga's most talented player, but his undisputed leader and most clutch performer. He scored 24 points in the Miami's November victory over then-No. 8 Florida, and dropped 25 in a double overtime loss to still undefeated Virginia. He's the single biggest reason why Miami appears on its way back to the NCAA Tournament after a one-year hiatus.
2. Some of the defensive woes that doomed Duke last season are still around

There were hoards of awful jokes about Duke not deserving the "D" at the beginning of their name last season, as the Blue Devils commonly allowed opponents to drop some massive numbers on them. It was a trend that ultimately led to their undoing, as they ran into a Mercer team that could shoot the lights (especially when left wide open) out in the NCAA Tournament's Round of 64.
That was supposed to be different this season with the combination of tough, veteran guards and an elite rim defender in Jahlil Okafor. Clearly, there are still some issues.

Plenty of people will say that NC State and Miami both shooting the lights out is more of an anomaly than a trend for the Cameron Crazies to freak out over, but it's impossible to look at the tapes of either game and claim that Duke's defense (or lack thereof) had nothing to do with their opponents posting huge numbers.

Put bluntly, Duke did nothing to stop Miami on Tuesday night. Their guards couldn't stay in front of Rodriguez, their big men couldn't hedge properly when trying to defend the pick-and-roll, and their wings helped out in situations where they had no business doing so, leaving open man after open man on the perimeter. It was the type of defensive performance that will get them beaten for a third-straight game if they bring it with them to Louisville on Saturday.

3. The nation's longest homecourt winning streak is dead

The Blue Devils had won 41 straight games at Cameron Indoor, the nation's longest home winning streak, and the third-longest in both program and ACC history. Before Tuesday, Duke hadn't been beaten at home since North Carolina did the trick on March 3, 2012. This also marked the first time that Duke has lost back-to-back regular season games since 2009.
The new owner of the homecourt winning streak record? Gonzaga, which has won 34 straight at the McCarthey Athletic Center.

mongoose

Miami is a good team. Rodriguez is playing at 1st team all acc level right now, and, imo, Larranaga is the most underrated coach in the nation. That WKU loss reminds me a lot of the loss UVa had last year against Tennessee; a 30 point blowout that, rather than sink the season, rallied the team for ACC play. Definitely not a team I'd want uva to see in the acc tourney

Keith1212

Blake James, Donna Shalala's puppet AD embarrasses himself again. AD staffers were confiscating UM student's "Fire Al Golden" signs against Virginia and Boston. When asked about this, he explained that they were just enforcing rules that were already in place. Too bad the Bank United Center's rules page had no mention of signs up until they got changed after he made his statement.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I think you hate Al Golden with the fury of a thousand burning suns, but that doesn't fix my now nonsensical post.

Keith1212

I hate Donna Shalala and the BoT way more than I dislike Golden, his crap assistants and his crap coaching. I don't even hate Swasey, who is an unqualified, glorified personal trainer that has unjustifiably stuck around for years as the head strength and conditioning coach. They are all just piss poor hires in a long line of them hired by these worthless clowns in Miami's administration. I mean if you care to look, there are unqualified people all over the athletic department in top positions. The university of Miami's football problems go way past Golden.

Anyway the basketball team (the one team the University of Miami has in a major sport that isn't shit and is actually enjoyable to watch as well) beat Syracuse. I don't know much about college basketball in terms of the tourney process or anything really but Miami basketball seems to be pretty solid.

GuyIncognito

lol, I don't know why Swasey keeps making it into your venom, except you know how many people like him. How many guys has he put in the league? How many guys in the league (who didn't even go to Miami) attend Swasey's off-season program? How many ex-Hurricanes swear by the guy? And not just as a trainer but as a moral guide?

On what basis does anyone call him unqualified? I've never heard a bad word about the guy from anybody actually associated with the game, it's just fans who can't think of shit else to bitch about, and like naming relatively obscure coaches as the problem to show how "insider" they are.

Last edited:

Keith1212

He is unqualified. That goes without saying. He's a sociology major from Baylor with no strength and conditioning background outside of the University of Miami (gee I wonder why). He also has no certifications in a field that's RIFE WITH THEM. Tommy Moffit built the strength program. Then he left for a school with a real athletic department like most good football coach's that get to the University of Miami. Swasey has been coasting off of Moffit's work ever since. Naturally the results on the field have fallen off. You can't expect the super to do the engineers job. He's just there to make sure all the workers show up and do what they're supposed to do. Once structural changes need to be made the super is lost.

Andreu Swasey

[xtable=skin1|border:0|cellpadding:3|cellspacing:1]
{tbody}
{tr=bcolor:#32424a}
{td=colspan:2}COACHING EXPERIENCE{/td}
{/tr}
{tr=bcolor:#dddddd}
{td} 1995-97{/td}
{td}Defensive Backs, Copperas Cove (Texas) HS{/td}
{/tr}
{td} 1997-98{/td}
{td}Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach, Miami{/td}
{/tr}
{td} 1999{/td}
{td}Defensive Backs, Houston{/td}
{/tr}
{td} 2000{/td}
{td}Co-Head Strength and Conditioning Coach, Miami{/td}
{/tr}
{td}2001-{/td}
{td}Head Strength and Conditioning Coach, Miami{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
At any major football program that's joke experience for a head strength coach. Period. For comparison...

Ed Ellis

9888677.jpeg

Ed Ellis has over 25 years of experience in the field and 21 years as a head strength and conditioning coach with stops at Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, Illinois State, Ole Miss and Arkansas in addition to UCF. He has been a master strength coach since 2003. Ellis has worked with teams that appeared in 12 bowl games.
Ellis is in his ninth season as Director of Strength and Conditioning at UCF, working directly with the football program while overseeing the strength, speed and conditioning efforts for UCF's 16 sport athletics program. He serves on the Board of Directors for the CSCCA.
Ellis spent time in the same capacity at Georgia Tech from 2001-04. While head strength and conditioning coach at Wake Forest from 1994-2001, Ellis was named the 2000 Collegiate Strength and Conditioning Professional of the Year for the Atlantic Coast Conference by the National Strength and Conditioning Association.
Prior to his stretch at Wake Forest, Ellis spent four years, from 1991-94, at the head strength and conditioning coordinator at Illinois State and two years (1989-91) as an assistant strength coach at Ole Miss. He began his career as a graduate assistant at Arkansas from 1987-89.
Ellis earned his bachelor's degree in physical education and health from Alabama in 1987 and received a master's degree in education from Arkansas in 1989.
In May of 2003, Ellis was awarded the highest honor in his field of expertise when he was certified as a master strength and conditioning coach (MSCC) at the Collegiate Strength and Conditioning Association's third national conference. The title of master strength and conditioning coach represents professionalism, knowledge, experience, expertise as well as longevity in the field. He is also CPR/AED certified

2015 Football Coaching Staff
Coaches
Expand

William Hicks
Assistant Athletics Director for Athletic Performance

Phone: 1813
player_HIcksWill_08_SE5_web.jpg

Email: [email protected]
[xtable=skin1|cellpadding:0|cellspacing:0|567x150]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td=colspan:3}Coaching Experience{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2007-present{/td}
{td}Assistant Athletics Director for Athletic Performance{/td}
{td}Syracuse University{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2000-07{/td}
{td}Head Strength and Conditioning Coach{/td}
{td}Syracuse University{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1999-00{/td}
{td}Assitant Athletics Director for Football Operations{/td}
{td}North Carolina State University{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1994-99{/td}
{td}Director of Athletic Improvement{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1990-94{/td}
{td}Athletic Improvement Coordinator{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1986-90{/td}
{td}Athletic Improvement Coach{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td=colspan:3}1999 ACC Strength and Conditioning Professional of the Year by the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA){/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
[xtable=skin1|cellpadding:0|cellspacing:0|294x255]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Championships and Bowl Games as a Coach{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2013 Texas Bowl Champions, Syracuse{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2012 New Era Pinstripe Bowl Champions, Syracuse{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2010 New Era Pinstripe Bowl Champions, Syracuse{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2004 Champs Sports Bowl, Syracuse{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2004 BIG EAST co-Champions, Syracuse{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}2001 Insight.com Bowl Champions, Syracuse{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1998 Micron PC Bowl, NC State{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1995 Peach Bowl Champions, NC State{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1994 Hall of Fame Bowl, NC State{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1992 Gator Bowl, NC State{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1992 Peach Bowl, NC State{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1990 All-American Bowl Champions, NC State{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1989 Copper Bowl, NC State{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1988 Peach Bowl Champions, NC State{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}1986 Peach Bowl, NC State{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
[xtable=skin1|cellpadding:0|cellspacing:0]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Prominent Players Coached at Syracuse{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Jay Bromley (New York Giants, 2014 NFL third-round draft pick){/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Marquis Spruill (Atlanta Falcons, 2014 NFL fifth-round draft pick){/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Justin Pugh (New York Giants, 2013 NFL first-round draft pick){/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Ryan Nassib (New York Giants, 2013 NFL fourth-round draft selection){/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Shamarko Thomas (Pittsburgh Steelers, 2013 NFL fourth-round draft choice; 2012 National Strength Coaches Association (NSCA) All-American){/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Chandler Jones (New England Patriots, 2012 NFL first-round draft pick; started as a rookie){/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Andrew Tiller (New Orleans Saints, 2012 NFL sixth-round draft selection){/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Delone Carter (Indianapolis Colts, 2011 NFL fourth-round draft selection){/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Doug Hogue (Detroit Lions, 2011 NFL fifth-round draft choice){/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Arthur Jones (Baltimore Ravens, 2008 free agent signee by the Ravens, Super Bowl XLVII Champion){/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Jameel McClain (Baltimore Ravens, 2010 NFL fifth-round draft selection, Super Bowl XLVII Champion){/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}David Tyree (New York Giants, 2007 Super Bowl champion and 2005 Pro Bowl selection){/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Dwight Freeney (Indianapolis Colts, 2002 NFL first-round draft choice by Indianapolis, Three-time Pro Bowl selection, Two-time All-Pro; 2007 Super Bowl Champion, 2002 National Strength Coaches Association (NSCA) All-American){/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Will Allen (Miami Dolphins, 2001 NFL first-round draft choice by the New York Giants);{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Morlon Greenwood (2001 NFL third-round draft choice (Miami) and moved to Houston (2005-08); 2002 National Strength Coaches Association (NSCA) All-American){/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Steve Gregory (2006 free agent signee by San Diego and played there until signing with New England prior to the 2012 season){/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Anthony Smith (Minnesota Vikings, 2006 NFL third-round draft choice by the Pittsburgh Steelers and started as a rookie){/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Tanard Jackson (2007 NFL fourth-round draft selection by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and started as a rookie);{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Tony Fiammetta (2009 fourth-round draft choice by the Carolina Panthers);{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Ryan Durand (2009 seventh-round draft selection by the Tennessee Titans);{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}James Mungro (five years with Indianapolis Colts);{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Josh Thomas (five years with Indianapolis Colts, 2007 Super Bowl Champion);{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Ryan LaCasse (Indianapolis Colts, 2007 Super Bowl Champion){/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Prominent Players Coached at North Carolina State{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Torry Holt (St. Louis Rams first-round draft choice);{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Haywood Jeffries (Houston Oilers first-round draft choice);{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Joe Milinichik (Detroit Lions, Los Angeles Rams, San Diego Chargers);{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Dewayne Washington (Minnesota Vikings first-round draft pick, Pittsburgh Steelers, Jacksonville Jaguars){/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
[xtable=skin1|cellpadding:0|cellspacing:0]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Education{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Graduate of Wake Academy in Raleigh, N.C., 1979{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}North Carolina State (recreation resources administration), 1987{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (C.S.C.S){/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Master certified specialist in speed and explosion{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

2014 Football Coaching Staff
Coaches
Expand

headshot_2_Cedric_Dawkins.jpg
Cedric Dawkins
Special Teams Coordinator/Inside Linebackers/Strength and Conditioning

Phone: 256-4666
Email: [email protected]

Updated 8/25/14

Cedric Dawkins is in his third season as the inside linebackers coach at Rowan University. In addition, he will also serve as the Profs’ special teams coordinator for the second straight season. Dawkins coached the outside linebackers in 2011.

Prior, Dawkins was an assistant coach at William Paterson University from 2008-10. During that time, he worked with the defensive backs for two years and the tight ends for one. Dawkins was the special teams coordinator during the 2009 and 2010 seasons. In 2007, he was the running backs coach, run game coordinator and special teams coordinator at Globe Institute of Technology.

Dawkins coached at Poly Prep Country Day School in New York from 2004-06. During that time, he worked with the running backs, offensive and defensive lines and served as the special teams coordinator. The team posted a 20-10 record during his tenure. From 2000-03, Dawkins was an assistant coach at East Rockaway High School in Long Island, NY. He is a member of the American Football Coaches Association and the National Strength Coaches Association. Dawkins also possesses a USA Weightlifting Coaches certification.

In 2011, Dawkins earned a Bachelor of Science degree in physical activity and health from Eastern Oregon University. He attended Hofstra University from 1986-90 and was a two-year starting running back on the football team. Dawkins led the Pride with 794 rushing yards in 1986.

Dawkins currently resides in Vineland, NJ with his wife Monica, daughter Chiara and sons Christian, Matteo and Micco.

Don't even bother pulling up the strength coaches at the schools that most think the school competes with. I picked 1 decent program and 2 joke ones to make my point. Swasey is laughably unqualified.

Also to be clear, Swasey is just a symptom of the real problem. Outside of the basketball program, these kids are getting crap coaching at every level but people either wonder why the team constantly underachieves or they blame the head coach and only the head coach which is amazing to me. The answers are all there if most Cane's fans would just open up their eyes and look.

The real problem are the people that run the school. Swasey is just one symptom of many. I point him out because he's an easy target and his results are crap on the field.

GuyIncognito

lol, he doesn't have a certification in strength conditioning, that's the argument? Not the personal vouchers of legions of current and former Miami athletes, and a bunch of pro bowlers who never even went to Miami.

I bet those S&C certs are really hard to come by.

How come all those NFL guys aren't hitting up Rowan's offseason program then?