• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Southpaw Gon' Look Are you from PD looking for evidence on @brick, sir? The Miami Hurricanes Thread aka Baseless Rumors Corner

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
You have a chance to knock out the champ and you hide in your turtle shell the second half on both sides of the ball. Pathetic.

Refs were equally bad, what a joke.

GuyIncognito

pressure cooker full of skittles
Refs were equally bad, what a joke.

Any time you see Ron Cherry, you just hold on for the ride. I didn't mind the fumble call, but that shit where they called off the holding/OPI on a play that went well beyond the line of scrimmage was gibberish.

That's what I get for taking FSU's side on that Notre Dame PI call.

GuyIncognito

But yeah, you come out swinging the whole first half and then spend the whole second half trying not to get beat. That shit ain't going to work.

In fairness though, we didn't take care of the ball, we didn't generate much pressure at all, we still don't have the horses in that defensive front.

There was a lot of good in that game too though. Kaaya played really well for a true freshman staring down those werewolves.

Lightningwar

Administrator
Im not sure what we do at half. But our defense plays completely different after half. Personally i think we get out of that ridiculous man coverage that lets TEs score on long passes because they are covered by a 250 pound linebacker.

i was happy to see they stuck Andrews on your TE on that last play. At least force that true freshman to make a great throw to him.

MiamiU26

Good Game FSU, really sucks to lose this game. Toooo many mistakes against a team that thrives in the second half.

GuyIncognito

Im not sure what we do at half. But our defense plays completely different after half. Personally i think we get out of that ridiculous man coverage that lets TEs score on long passes because they are covered by a 250 pound linebacker.

i was happy to see they stuck Andrews on your TE on that last play. At least force that true freshman to make a great throw to him.

FSU did make some good adjustments, but we still matched up Duke on that same LB on a long wheel route, we still hit Dobard over the middle for a big gain (that he fumbled). Two bad fumbles, a botched PAT, Kirby missed a tackle right in the hole on FSU's first TD, Kaaya missed Coley for a TD by about three inches, and we got all janky in the second half on offense. On that last play FSU was just in Coley's head completely.

You're just not going to beat a team of that caliber that way. FSU could fucking smell that we were trying to just hang on to the game and they fed off it. They started swaggering around and talking their shit and doing all that, and we didn't really have a response.

But I'm an eternal optimist I suppose. True freshman QB, true freshman RT, true freshman backup RB. Comparing Kaaya in the Louisville game to Kaaya last night, I think this kid is going to be a really good one. I'm just frustrated by the scheme, really.

*Sidenote: I love Denzel Perryman. One of the few LBs I've seen in the last several years where you can just listen to the hit and know who it was. "Throwback" is usually reserved for slow white guys, but he's an actual throwback.

GuyIncognito

If I'm honest, I'm just still an old OL and am happy with the way those guys played. That tends to put me in a good mood regardless of whatever else. We always had a saying that FSU DLs were "a different kind of animal," and it's still true. Those guys are monsters and I thought our young OL did a great job last night.

Southpaw

Fuckface
Utopia Moderator
There was one play last night where 8 blitzed around the left edge and knocked the ball out of the qbs hand. They were in shotgun and the rb was on the left side in perfect position to pick up the blitz. He tipped it off well in advance of the snap, but the qb and rb continued with some bullshit zone read play action fake that took him to the right side away from the blitz. It was like 3rd and long or something. Nobody is biting on that stupid play fake. So annoying. I would have liked to seen some awareness from that rb and abandon the bullshit play fake to pick up the blitz.

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
There was one play last night where 8 blitzed around the left edge and knocked the ball out of the qbs hand. They were in shotgun and the rb was on the left side in perfect position to pick up the blitz. He tipped it off well in advance of the snap, but the qb and rb continued with some bullshit zone read play action fake that took him to the right side away from the blitz. It was like 3rd and long or something. Nobody is biting on that stupid play fake. So annoying. I would have liked to seen some awareness from that rb and abandon the bullshit play fake to pick up the blitz.

I remember that play. on the replay i thought the same shit. Why playfake on 3rd and long on a drive you need to pick up another 45 yards to win the game. It wasn't like it was some cutesy thing to do midway through the 2nd quarter.

GuyIncognito

That's the thing with Coley. He seems like a good play designer, the concepts work, but he doesn't seem to have a grasp of how it should all fit together. It feels like his play chart doesn't have the right scenarios on it, like he's calling plays in a vacuum instead of in the context of what he's seeing.

Though in fairness, there are reasons to play fake even when there's not much chance of fooling anybody. Sometimes you like a particular protection scheme and the play fake helps the mesh, sometimes you have a QB (especially a true freshman) who gets into a better rhythm with the play timing by carrying out the fake.

I'm not saying that was the case there, but I see a lot of criticisms of play fakes every week that don't give full respect to everything that could be going through an OC's head when he calls it.

*And in that play in particular, I think that just happens sometimes when you have a true freshman QB and a true freshman RB in the game. These guys were playing HS football a year ago and now Yearby is supposed to be recognizing and picking up FSU blitz packages.

That's why I can't get too down about the game. The team played well I thought, aside from the fumbles. Not to mention that garbage ass TD FSU scored when we knocked down a 3rd down pass. The difference between a TD and the FG they should have kicked ended up being the difference in the game.

Shit happens sometimes.

Lightningwar

Administrator
Coley was like that with us. How many times can we run a reverse on 3rd and 3? Or slow developing play action deep throws when we havent run the ball and they are blitzing? I haven't seen a lot of those boneheaded plays the last two years since him leaving. Also the second half offensive melt down is classic FSU circa 2008-2012.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Fine with it, football is barbaric anyway and the NCAA ruined the sport.

It's hilarious on the Canes forums idiots are claiming Shalalalalalalala has made the school a basketball school by design because it's more of a white collar sport. :laughing:

CJ_24

I don't know a single name on that basketball roster and I had no idea they played last night. what the hell happened to me

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Well a single GIF can't capture last night but here's the best bet.

72yxAPm.gif

See you Thursday at 3 @CJ_24

GuyIncognito

Didn't he score like 20 points in the last 5 minutes or something? He could have hit that from anywhere on the court the way he was shooting.

CJ_24

but it's such a bad shot. It's like running the ball on 3rd and long with no timeouts. Yeah, it can work, but it's a low percentage.

I'm just an old school basketball elitist (or a basketball formalist in the legal nomenclature). The "right" play in that situation, down 2, under 20 seconds left, is to get the ball going toward the rim and either a) get a good shot in the paint b) get fouled or c) kick it out to an open shooter in the corner when the defense collapses.

I'm not against the 3, down 2 on the road nothing wrong with going for the win (and it's even encouraged because the advantage is to the home team in an overtime game, in a close game in general), but that type of 3. The one where the main option dribbles around the top of the key, makes one move then shoots is such a bad shot and I see all the damn time in college (ALL THE TIME. capped for emphasis), which is why it bothers me so much.

Still great play, great win. i'm not turding in the punch bowl, just more or less annoyed with the state of game play in the college game.

Wooly

That's the thing with Coley. He seems like a good play designer, the concepts work, but he doesn't seem to have a grasp of how it should all fit together. It feels like his play chart doesn't have the right scenarios on it, like he's calling plays in a vacuum instead of in the context of what he's seeing.

Though in fairness, there are reasons to play fake even when there's not much chance of fooling anybody. Sometimes you like a particular protection scheme and the play fake helps the mesh, sometimes you have a QB (especially a true freshman) who gets into a better rhythm with the play timing by carrying out the fake.

I'm not saying that was the case there, but I see a lot of criticisms of play fakes every week that don't give full respect to everything that could be going through an OC's head when he calls it.

*And in that play in particular, I think that just happens sometimes when you have a true freshman QB and a true freshman RB in the game. These guys were playing HS football a year ago and now Yearby is supposed to be recognizing and picking up FSU blitz packages.

That's why I can't get too down about the game. The team played well I thought, aside from the fumbles. Not to mention that garbage ass TD FSU scored when we knocked down a 3rd down pass. The difference between a TD and the FG they should have kicked ended up being the difference in the game.

Shit happens sometimes.
Wow, a rationale well thought out assessment of a game on Utopia, especially for a loss. Shit happens is a bigger part of football than people admit. There is a reason the best teams are still only around .500 against other top teams historically. For all the X and o talk, there are a lot of coin flips in the game of football.

GuyIncognito

I didn't even know targeting was a rule, but how is that not targeting the way they described it?

As far as I can tell, they basically just go look at it and decide how "bad" it was. They have a rule, but yeah, there is a whole lot of "forcible contact with the head or neck area" that doesn't get flagged at all, let alone marked for an ejection. They just have to write something down so it doesn't look like the refs are just "knowing it when they see it."

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Waters just got headbutted on a play that didn't look that bad at first glance and it looks bad. Stretcher on the field.

I hate football.

GuyIncognito

Eh, team just mentally checked out when UVA started fighting back. Seems like regressing all the way back to game 1. To me that always goes on the staff.

GuyIncognito

The dumbness is that it really seemed over the past few weeks that the staff had figured it out. Get aggressive on defense, establish the run on offense.

But they bailed on that in the 2nd half of FSU, and they're still bailing on it tonight. Defense is catching everything again, generating no pressure. Offense is running wacky crap on 1st down and then spending the whole game behind the sticks.

Really frustrating.

Lightningwar

Administrator
I never understood going away from something that works. But I am also not a coach. If it were me coaching any team. I'd do what works until the other team stopped me.

GuyIncognito

It feels philosophical to me, at least on defense. D'Onofrio just doesn't want to blitz, he doesn't want penetration up front. He wants to keep the offense in front of him. But these teams (even the mediocre ones) are too good for that anymore. They just pick us apart.

And Coley, IDK.

There's WAY too much talent on this team for these kinds of games.

Lightningwar

Administrator
It feels like this year more than any before it that teams can explode on offense. Make a couple mistakes and suddenly avg teams are able to roll up lots of points fast. But maybe the FSU defense is just that bad this year.