• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

The Curious Case of the Dublin Distillers: A Phoenix Reborn

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Here's GM Radford Pear trying to dig out of the hole created by months of burnout and inactivity.

061715_poncho_med_x7cfk587.gif

Last edited:

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Distillers Fan Fiction: CULT HERO GEORGE WILMER VAUGHN and the case of the BURNT COOKIES OF DISCONTENT

George finally got the call to the WBL! He was so excited! But when he was on the bus to the airport something unexpected happened. He was traded in a completely legal trade to @Schauwn. Vaughn was informed he was traded and his emotions got the best of him:

no-crying-in-baseball-o.gif

The bus turned around. GM Rad Pear didn't want to start Vaughn's clock if he was now @Schauwn's player.

But then the league cried about the completely legal tried in a variety of ways! The trade was denounced and called illegal and in violation of no less than three rules. What's worse, it was apparently a fleece! Emotions got the best of the WBL owners:

When a ruling was finally given by OU, it was too late. The trade had fallen through. Hours had been wasted, and for nothing.

George was angry. Angry he had been traded and angry that people felt he wasn't worth some 16 year old Russian that probably won't pan out with such low contact rating. He would make sure they would rue the day!

The next day, Vaughn was re-promoted by Dublin. He anxiously awaited the bus to the airport. But it never came! His emotions got the best of him:

Commish had forgotten the exports! Six days later the bus finally showed up. With his lucky bat, Vaughn boarded the bus with a one way ticket to cult hero destiny.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
lol, I can't believe you guys backed out of that trade. I think the cookies of discontent were baking because it took 12 hours, not because of the trade itself. I didn't think it was a fleece blanket either, Vaughn seems like a nice player and a bird in hand is worth two in the bush. Either way, it was hilarious art imitating life.

DO WBL PLAYERS HAVE RIGHTS?

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I don't see my name mentioned. What key role did I play? @OU11 has said we can't trade comp picks multiple times, but I think he has just stopped caring.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
One of the picks was a comp pick? It's illegal then. I'm not going to parse through every trade especially when figuring out if they are comps or not is part of it. Rad knows he can't trade comp picks so I just assumed he wouldn't have.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Please debate rules and fleeces elsewhere. If you are compelled to post please do so in the form of fan fiction or haiku

Wendell Gee

dawg_gone parrothead
October again.
One year older, no wiser.
Same old stupid hopes.

I hope my life ends
between games six and seven,
gloves closed, bats ready,

Someone burning leaves
in some small town like childhood,
Series on inside.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
1-1 watch, guess we can add Norman. The more he turns in to Don Drain the higher he gets on my board. Would be funny to pair the two top position player selections from last year's draft, Norman and Alfie.

8GQT4Hi.png

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
CULT HERO GEORGE VAUGHN hitting .264/.311/.433 with 18 bolts for .5 WAR so far. Streaky months have me hopeful. His defense at third and first is very solid.

Alfie and Sam Young both promoted to AAA and tearing it up.

Vader is finally off the DL. He got the Fragile tag, apparently.

Jack Jones had a breakout year, .828 OPS, 28 bolts. 3.5 WAR with stellar defense in left. @doh hereby re-promoted to Distillers preferred trade partner. To show my appreciation to @doh, I extended him to a five year contract that is ruining the league.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Jack Jones is a good name, but you a rube for even considering 5 year contracts at this point. Fuckin Lloyd Carr did it right. Trade away the entire future for this season.

NML

Man, Jack Jones is a familiar name - not just because it's so common. I know I tried to draft him but he wouldn't sign and I feel like he did that with like three other teams too. I felt like he was such a fringe first round guy and that no one wanted to break the bank with him. Not surprised he's doing well but those corner OFs with all solid ratings are fairly common. Sounds like he's playing above them.

Gooksta

Jack Jones is a good name, but you a rube for even considering 5 year contracts at this point. Fuckin Lloyd Carr did it right. Trade away the entire future for this season.
Anything can happen in the playoffs, just get there and hope to get hot

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I have to hope to get so hot the riggers win every game and I still might not make the playoffs, lol.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Holy calamity, scream insanity.

In one sim Sooner Arteaga went from teenage chin strap to full dental drapes

Dublin insiders are unsure whether this helps or hurts the lifelong Distiller's chances to have his number retired.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Arteaga is just spitting at his ratings decrease. .048 ERA and and 918 ERA+ (lol) so far this season. Can't keep this up but his grinning in the face of death adds to his case to be the Distiller's scout forever.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I love that those Arteaga pictures have 14 views. No idea how to IMGUR but I'm hoping that's Nutopia clowns looking at this thread and not random people stumbling upon Facegen face foliage.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
CULT HERO GEORGE VAUGHN hitting .264/.311/.433 with 18 bolts for .5 WAR so far. Streaky months have me hopeful. His defense at third and first is very solid.

CULT HERO GEORGE VAUGHN UPDATE: .834 OPS with 10 HRs, .7 WAR so far. WAR probably hurt since I'm playing him at 1B since I have Naif at third.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Called up four young bucks controlled by gamma light, the quest for the stars has commenced. Arm your space doo-doo pistols.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
14-13 in September, 10-4 in the last two sims.

Norman, Sam Young with great starts to their careers. Almquist okay. Jorge Rodriguez the only one of the four that might not be ready, although a SSS 4.05 ERA and 1.35 WHIP isn't bad in the bandbox.

Jack Jones power dropped in his sophomore year, 34 HR to 22, but his triple slash was better, .321/.355/.499. Seeing him get that OBP was a pleasant surprise.

Not sure what to do with Vaughn and Naif. They are basically the exact same player but Vaughn doesn't appear to have the bat to stick at first. I could acquire a 1B somehow and shift Vaughn to third, dealing Naif if people are interested.

NML

I like Naïf - no idea what my scout thinks but I'm intrigued. Is he still on the minimum?

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
This year's Dublin team features an interesting assortment of top 10 prospect rookies and salty veterans.

7a4Ka56.png

I moved Vazquez to setup to strengthen the bullpen. "Salary Dump" Goodwin joins the rotation. Pre-season prediction have Dave Gamble turning the corner and becoming a top 10 league-wide pitcher -- I wasn't even sure that OOTP would allow that as a possibility in my park -- so nice to see that the sim engine at least allows a sub 4 ERA in Dublin. Hopefully Sam Young has a good year and his development isn't hampered by the band box.

Most excited for my young core of position players, although I anticipate some growing pains. I hope for Alfie, Norman, Milheiro, Jones, and Young to anchor this team for years, adding Creswell soon (EDIT - AND CULT HERO, just because)

I hope to be at or above .500. Flirting with that last playoff spot would be a bonus, but I'm still building for the long haul at this point.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
MUSTACHIO WARS updates, apparently Lee Nelson grew a sick stache! This is a perfect example of Felix Arteaga's leadership!

I'm going to get to work on the first annual Mustachio Wars Report. This isn't a trivial research effort so send me nominations if you have any. MOAR THREADS FOR KELLA

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Unfortunately, Arteaga might be done done. He overcame ratings deductions last year but is getting absolutely shelled this year. I'll set him to Use Less Often and see if we can squeak by. Fear not WBL -- he's my future scout, so you'll continue to be able to watch that stache evolve.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Prophet Watanabe retired. He's the last original player from when I took over.

His career was 17 years long. He was solid -- his WHIP came in under 1 several times and he was a two time all star. Not a GOAT but definitely would make it into a Hall of Pretty Darn Good.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
2055 Season Preview 40 PARAGRAPHS AND SCREENSHOTS

GBmTXpC.gif

Rotation Report: Slightly worse than the end of 2054 since Karpet is gone. However, he was trash in the playoffs so I didn't feel like overpaying. The other way to look at this is that my staff is way better than the start of 2054 since I added Ping and Robbie at the trade deadline last year.

Bullpen Report: The exact same bullpen

Lineup Report: I view this as a wash. Creswell is a year older but I lose Sanchez. Honour steps in for Sanchez, but he will not replace that plus plus OBP at the top of the lineup. I acquired Swagger Zwagger to replace a 0 WARS WON shortstop, so big upgrade hopefully. Actual Dublin street reaction to shortstop upgrade

FearfulYoungGalah.gif

Also, Holloway and Camacho begin a platoon at third that will hopefully yield more than zero WARS. I think I'm a little more balanced overall.

GOAT Report: Unfortunately the game decided that Alfie sucks after performing like a GOAT. So we will see if the Alfie nerf translates to statistics. Norman will hopefully rebound after a Sophomore slump.

All in all I view this as a better team than I started last year but maybe slightly worse than I ended the year with. I did not like the market this off-season so I flirted with several trade ideas and free agents but ended up holding onto my chips. I think I have the chips to make a big deal and chose to be reactive in-season depending on where I need help rather than adding WARS WON in the offseason.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
If it makes you feel better, FRED's GOAT ratings have been on a steady decline for like 5 seasons and he still put up 5 WARS last year.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Me too, it really messes up my BTT prediction tool when @NML pokes holes in my methodology due to FRED THE OUTLIER

Reactions: NML