• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Sunday Conversation

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Well I've decided to rip off the Reel Report with a WBL Sunday Conversation. A la Sportscenter back in the day, I think I'll do a Sunday weekly conversation with a WBL Owner.

Who wants to be the first guest with Doh Firestone?

Again this is a rip off of the Reel Report.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
What happened to Rad?

doh

It's close to being done (complete with Rad's 8 word answers for every question) :laughing:

doh

Welcome all to Las Vegas Pac Men HQ on the top of the Wynn. This is the first installment of the Sunday Conversation with doh Firestone. With the Dublin in town, we welcome in Mr. Radpants. First question for you: What brought you to the UBL?

Zack Mills' incessant recruitment PMs. I wasn't particularly interested but he wore me down in time.

I believe I only had one year with Zach (and he was with Reel which provided a lot of comedy). What was he like as an owner?

He only finished in first or last place. He had a huge budget and tried to eat bad contracts in trades. His math was off somehow, and whoever inherited his team was screwed for a few years with a messed up budget.

He also threatened to quit every week.

You've seemed to have a bit of a rivalry with Qual. What's that been like?

He was actually my favorite trade partner in the UBL. I don't even know who manages what team in the WBL, but I guess we could still be rivals.

Speaking of the WBL what have your thoughts been on the new league?

Honestly, I've been really busy in real life, so I've been struggling getting into it. The immersion factor hasn't been there for me.

It also took me a couple years in the UBL, though. I think in the UBL the league turned the corner once the guys I drafted started hitting my pro roster

I agree it's been hard for me to get into the WBL because I don't know any of the players not on my team but again it took me 4-5 seasons to get fully into the UBL.

When it comes to building a simluation baseball team what's your philosphy?

I just try to apply moneyball concepts to the league that I'm in. Also, it's been harder to trade recently, so you kind of have to work with the hand you're dealt a little more.

I'm not the biggest stat head when I follow MLB, but one thing that keeps me interested in OOTP is reading SABR type articles or books and then applying those concepts to me team. For example, I got a bump out of offensive production by applying some concepts out of The Book.

Interesting. Seems like there's more pitching '14 compared to '13… would you agree with that assessment?

Definitely.

The pitching in the UBL was terrible, though. We had a lot of theories as to why that was, but it could have also been impacted by the league evolution settings.

What was the theory you believed the most?

Probably a combination of league evolution and GMs not putting in manual pitch counts the first week of spring training.

Can't tell if serious.

Let's say you were OU Selig for a day and were given power to do anything you want. What would you do in the league?

Get drunk and forget to sim, I guess.

If I could change anything in the league, I'd add the DH.

I've been in favor of this as well. I haven't looked at '14 as much but '13 there seemed to be some absolutely moronic double switches the CPU would make. Is that your reason too?

Yeah. I about lost my mind watching the managerial moves in the live sims.

If you could have one Utopia member (current or former) join the league, who would it be and why?

Package deal: Makaveli Incognito and Mame Yo

"and why?"

I thought it was self explanatory, but the debates about league economics would be great.

I also like Mak in general and he plays a lot of simulation PC games

Well Rad thanks for your time during your busy time of the year. Anything to add?

Just want to say peace to the entire ENE crew, ENE all day ya'll

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
What was the theory you believed the most?

Probably a combination of league evolution and GMs not putting in manual pitch counts the first week of spring training.

Can't tell if serious.

Let's say you were OU Selig for a day and were given power to do anything you want. What would you do in the league?

Get drunk and forget to sim, I guess.

If I could change anything in the league, I'd add the DH.

Well Rad thanks for your time during your busy time of the year. Anything to add?

Just want to say peace to the entire ENE crew, ENE all day ya'll

Robert-DeNiro-Laughing-Awards-Ceremony.gif

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I think a lot of the change of interest is due to the draft. It's hard to get excited about these guys tbh.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Yeah I'd say that and losing my old team. I don't really bother with exporting daily because I already did daily exports while tanking for 5 or 6 UBL seasons. As Rad said once we get our drafted players going it should be better. Gets me thinking if having us do the 3 drafts prior to starting the league would've been something that worked well (even though doing 3 whole drafts would take about a month IRL with our pace)