• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Spread Offense

Akecheta

We've talked for ages about 5 QBA and how crazy it is, I have started having success by learning a few screen variations. I hate throwing screens but it works if you can get the first one off then a second then move to the outs or slants.

LEGEND

We've talked for ages about 5 QBA and how crazy it is, I have started having success by learning a few screen variations. I hate throwing screens but it works if you can get the first one off then a second then move to the outs or slants.
That's my problem as well! I hate throwing screens And feel I shouldn't have to be forced to throw them! I shouldn't have to complete a couple screens b4 I can complete a slant or out!

That's the most idiotic logic I've ever heard! If the qb's just missed throws a little high or wide... That would not be an issue. But when you throw a 5yd slant or dig and it goes high wide and off target by a city block that just unrealistic!

To top it off... It usually takes some God offal flight path to a defender. It makes no logical sense. Add to that the frustration of actually making good defensive plays only to watch your guys drop pick 6's... And you get no fun or momentum changing plays!

But somehow... your guy perfectly breaks on a pass thrown into coverage and drops it while your pass goes completely against where you were throwing to an uncovered guy for a pick... Smfh!

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

LEGEND

With that being said... I don't think 5 Qba is the only issue! I was in another OD with 5 Qba and it played differently. It's the sliders in powerhouse that's causing the problem.

There needs to be some other adjustments made. In that other OD you missed throws but nothing like how you miss in powerhouse!

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
I have found that you can't hot route with QB 5 early in the game. I can't prove it, but it seems like you have much less of a chance of an errant throw if you run the play without any adjustments. I don't hot route until I feel like my QB has "settled out".

LEGEND

I have found that you can't hot route with QB 5 early in the game. I can't prove it, but it seems like you have much less of a chance of an errant throw if you run the play without any adjustments. I don't hot route until I feel like my QB has "settled out".
That explains a lot! Much of my passing game is hot routes. The first pass I attempted was a hot route and It was wayyyyyyyyy off target!

This adds to my disdain for 5 Qba! Unless you're throwing a screen or hitch you pretty much screwed early! So those that incorporate those plays into their scheme will always have a advantage in the passing game.

That's just plain stupid!

My QB couldn't throw much of anything until the 4th Qtr. By then his errant passes had already sealed the deal. I don't understand why screens are the magic wand... Why is it so difficult to throw a slant or 5 yd dig?

LEGEND

I thnk you answered your question.
I guess I felt dedicated to playing with those guys! Been playing with @NavyHog and @Flann since the old Utopia BSCFL. Really enjoyed playing with those guys. But I have enough dynasties I'm a part of already. I guess it's time to move on!

Flanntastic

NCAA Moderator
i don't try any pass over 5 yds until i have hit 5 straight passes, the only pass over 5yds i will attempt is a curl. once you complete 5 passes, your ready to roll.

LEGEND

i don't try any pass over 5 yds until i have hit 5 straight passes, the only pass over 5yds i will attempt is a curl. once you complete 5 passes, your ready to roll.
My first couple of passes were simple hot routes... A out and a dig. The out was smart routed to 10 yds but the dig was about 5yds. The out sailed wide & high out of bounds and the dig sailed high and wide directly to your FS. It makes no sense the path both of those passes took. I could understand being high or wide... But both were drastically altered by 5 Qba.

And of course there's the fact I was on the road. The fact that the dig was a pick and on the road.... only leads to EA logic kicking in. We all know EA has flawed logic... So do the math! My Qb was erratic until around 2mins left in the 3rd Qtr.

What I think is more insane is... That once you completed your 3-5 passes. Your Qb was able to make any throw! I say 3-5 because I was actually counting your passes early in the game. You actually completed your first pass... Your 2nd was incomplete and you completed your next two.

From That point on... the only passes you didn't complete were passes you attempted into extremely tight coverage and the pick six I dropped. You might have had 1 or 2 more... but only your 2nd pass was a 5 Qba WTF lame duck!

I have a little scheme I put together for 5 Qba... We'll see how that goes. I know I've had games where I completed all of my 6-8 attempts only to have 5 Qba kick in on the next 3-4.

Flanntastic

NCAA Moderator
My first couple of passes were simple hot routes... A out and a dig. The out was smart routed to 10 yds but the dig was about 5yds. The out sailed wide & high out of bounds and the dig sailed high and wide directly to your FS. It makes no sense the path both of those passes took. I could understand being high or wide... But both were drastically altered by 5 Qba.

And of course there's the fact I was on the road. The fact that the dig was a pick and on the road.... only leads to EA logic kicking in. We all know EA has flawed logic... So do the math! My Qb was erratic until around 2mins left in the 3rd Qtr.

What I think is more insane is... That once you completed your 3-5 passes. Your Qb was able to make any throw! I say 3-5 because I was actually counting your passes early in the game. You actually completed your first pass... Your 2nd was incomplete and you completed your next two.

From That point on... the only passes you didn't complete were passes you attempted into extremely tight coverage and the pick six I dropped. You might have had 1 or 2 more... but only your 2nd pass was a 5 Qba WTF lame duck!

I have a little scheme I put together for 5 Qba... We'll see how that goes. I know I've had games where I completed all of my 6-8 attempts only to have 5 Qba kick in on the next 3-4.

The other thing is, that was a rivalry game, I have noticed that in rivalry games the cpu can really f with one team

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk 2

Flanntastic

NCAA Moderator
How does that work? There are other states/schools closer. Just curious. I guess it's like us and Syracuse, Boston College, Notre Dame.

Basketball rivalry mainly, but cincy rivals are louisville, miami, and Xavier

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk 2

JSU Zack

How do I IT?

That's been my experience as well, but the logic seems unrealistic to me. Yeah, it's a game, but does Paul Johnson say "only short routes the first half". Nah. He goes for the home run.

guardman23

Power seems to actually work if you run it with the Qb it is a good counter for those that like to take the Qb all the time on the zone read

guardman23

If you have the right QB, power & wrap are designed to trap the read player on the zone read.
Ya midline out of the flex is good to @LEGEND had some good runs out of pistol against me I can do OK with the off tackle runs but straight gives seems to take to long idk madden there a lot better if the linebacker fills I can usely bounce it to the outside if he stays back I can get a few yards inside

Wolfman21

best spread playbook, or atleast one of the good ones, in ncaa 14?? This NC State playbook is such shit i can't play with it anymore

Wolfman21

been trying oregons for like 5 games. I have a pro style QB so i'm not a big fan. Hes graduating after this season though and i've got 2 mobile guys waiting in the wings...so im gonna give it a try with the mobile guys cuz some of the run plays look interesting

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Mississippi State's is my favorite default spread book, but building your own is always the best bet, especially if you have a pro style QB in the spread (like I usually do).

Soonerfan09

Yeah, I'd build my own too. Just pick a base playbook and you can either modify it, or remove all the formations and start all over. When you pick your formations though, the only way to order them on your actual in game play call screen is the order in which you choose them to make your custom playbook. It's actually really easy and simple to create a custom playbook. Just jump into it and play around with it, and you'll have it figured out in a couple minutes.

Atmore

For those of you running a legit HUNH type of offense (@bruin228 and others)
I attack 335 much differently than I attack any other defense and without knowing who is going to be in a 335 going in, it is tough to have all the answers.
This is what I've been trying to figure out and 34 users who pinch the DL then the LB's flow freely over top or straight through the gaps to stop the run

Smashmouth

After lurking on here for a while waiting for my account to be confirmed, I decided to create a custom spread playbook. A lot of it is ripped off from TxHusker’s Spread-I thread with a lot of Offset Gun looks that have TEs and FBs in the formation.

I really like the series plays that it offers though. My plan is to use formation subs to always have a FB in the backfield and the TE either in-line or split out in the slot. I’ll have a true WR on the solo side and a Slotback lined up with the TE for jet sweeps, screens, etc.

It’s a heavy run book, which I feel I am better at than throwing all the time.

Smashmouth

Scraped the Offset and made a more traditional SG/Ace book. Gonna call it the

POWERADE

Ace: Big, Heavy, Slot, Trips
SG: Normal, Spread, Trips, Trey (w/ all Wk variations as formation audibles)

Run game focuses on building off the same looks. Base to Read Option. Sweep to Counter. Buck Sweep to B/S option, etc. I’ve thrown in a few rollouts as well for PA.

Passing features a lot of screens - Bubbles, PA Bubbles, Slips and Mids. Have some core Air Raid concepts like Stick, Smash, Shallow/Under/Follow stuff. I want to be able to isolate the side with less defenders and make quick reads to get the ball out in space.

Total of 12 formations and a little under 150 plays. Nice and compact but with enough so I can be versatile in any set to both pass or run on any down.

Last edited:
Reactions: FSS