• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Spread Offense

Atmore

Nice write
up got anything on your passing game?

NCAA14_Flexbone_Normal_Tr_Option_Pass.jpeg there are so many ways I do this play but here is one

If the CBs are backed off or press:
Square---- leave alone

Triangle---- hot route to In Route

R1---- hot route to block (shade OLine to block opposite side he does)
X-- Leave alone
Circle--- hot route to do the zig route(where he runs in and then goes back out)

You have a basic flood concept but I read play from R-L
1.So if CB backs off of Circle he is in Cover 3 and therefore Circle will be open but you have to sit and let X break to make sure CB plays him

2. If the CB stays with Circle then look to see if X has a clean break (if defense is in man he is WIDE OPEN)

3. Look for Triangle across the middle (if defense is in Cover 2 sink, Cover 2 and sometimes man he will be open)

4. If all else fails look to see where Square is (if defense is in 2 high Safety he can be open in between) GUN THE BALL with pass procession whatever direction he is running (diagram right so Right on joystick) and user catch by breaking route off going right.... If defense is in 1 high safety they usually play the middle but pass is still possible

5. There is NO way all routes are covered but if so it's off to the races forcing passes only hurts you

Last edited:

Atmore

uploadfromtaptalk1409808594793.jpg
If you are getting a lot of man to man or a crowded box or they start to set the defense up to stop outside runs/QB

Square -- leave alone
Triangle --leave alone or hot route to block
R1-- hot route to block (shift Oline Blocking to opposite side of where he blocks)
X-- Hot route to streak
Circle -- Hot route to Deep come back ( I think its Right stick Up)

I read right to left but mainly You are looking for the Comeback or Post route.... (If throwing to Post Lead pass Right and user catch by breaking off the route ONLY IF WR ALREADY HAS INSIDE LEVERAGE if not it may be a INT)... X is just to clear the Safety but may be open if its a blitz.... If they are not in man and you didn't leave Triangle to block he may be open as last resort before taking off lol....

I keep my reads very very very simple

Oh yeah this play is dangerous when the streaks are ran on the far hash mark.... so by play diagram it would be right hash mark

Atmore

This is a play I run on short yardage situation 5 and under

Flip to which ever side will have the backfield motion going to wide side of the field( play diagram left so just say left is the wide side of the field) Hot route Y to an IN Route and let the play fake carry out and that's it lol....

While play fake is happening look to see who gets open (off play diagram) between X and Y if neither B may be open over the top if LB are sitting on the other routes but mainly if you can hold it Y(A-Back) will eventually run open like it's a mesh play

Again simple reads if all else fails take off lol...

uploadfromtaptalk1409809855571.jpg

Atmore

uploadfromtaptalk1409810593017.jpg

This is ran out of Flex Close and is another flood concept but in disguise lol.... make your on one of the far hash marks and the corner route is towards the sideline (play diagram would be left hash)

X -- Streak
Y -- Leave Alone
RB -- Hot route to out route and then motion out the backfield left
A -- Streak route
B -- Leave Alone

Formation will look like:

............X.....T..G..C..G..T.....B
..RB...........Y........QB.......A

1.X and A are just clear outs

2. You want to quickly glance A because if it's a blitz he may be uncovered

3. If CB keeps dropping back RB will be open if he is covered look for Y and throw right as he makes his cut out....

4. Some Zones can have RB, Y and X surrounded so glance back right and look to see if A has cleared the safety out for B coming across the middle.... (If it's a cover 2 and safeties drop to wide A can be open as a seam route

This play may take longer to develop but I like to call it in the redzone because the backfield motion really messes with peoples head lol.... I let them do all they want because more than likely thy are messing themselves up lol.... also if you get sacked your still in field goal range

Last edited:
Good stuff Atmore. I like PA dive out of split wing x myself. You can make it a flood concept or a hi-lo read or just about anything with hot routes.

I would love to run a legit Wing-T but you're pretty much limited to Buck Sweep. None of the misdirection and interior stuff that typically comes with a Wing-T offense can really be replicated. I suppose you can get in the general vicinity with Buck and Jet but that's about it.

I'm not fully committed to it yet but right now I'm leaning on running a pro-style(ish) offense in one of these ODs. Something like Stanford or the 49ers run but maybe with a very, very slight dash of option mixed in. I may tire of it pretty quickly but I want to do something a little different that people don't see each week in an OD.

When I say Wing T I really mean a formation that resembles it and I can run jet or option out of. I have studied the Wing T for years and I would run it in a heartbeat if I could. Ironically, I can pretty much run it in NCAA 09 for PS2. They have a lot of the Wing T staples in their flexbone sets. The closest thing in this game is the split wing formations in flexbone. Although wingbone split wing x meshes well with power I when audibled. I also find that running sweeps (rocket or jet) to the short side of the field out of the bone sets is more successful than running to the wide side of the field.

Last edited:

JAR201166

I swear this game is crazy it seems like if you hit the sprint button the dbs come right off there blocks lol. I got the veer going kinda when not using it at all.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I swear this game is crazy it seems like if you hit the sprint button the dbs come right off there blocks lol. I got the veer going kinda when not using it at all.

Lots of people have noticed this as well. I think it's accurate, though it might be a placebo effect at this point.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
This is a play I run on short yardage situation 5 and under

Flip to which ever side will have the backfield motion going to wide side of the field( play diagram left so just say left is the wide side of the field) Hot route Y to an IN Route and let the play fake carry out and that's it lol....

While play fake is happening look to see who gets open (off play diagram) between X and Y if neither B may be open over the top if LB are sitting on the other routes but mainly if you can hold it Y(A-Back) will eventually run open like it's a mesh play

Again simple reads if all else fails take off lol...

View attachment 785

@Atmore Another adjustment to Smash you can do is run it as designed but with hot route the outside WR to a screen. I believe it is right trigger on XBOX. You might try that, especially on short yardage. I find that Smash as designed in game, either with the 3 yard hitch or with the in route like in that play art has really bad spacing issues, corners can drift off and cover both parts of the Smash combo.

I run Smash exclusively with the outside WR running that quick screen. Essentially he just turns and stands there. If the corner drifts off that's an easy throw and catch in space, if the corner comes up, you have all kinds of room to throw the corner. I would highly recommend that, especially if you're getting a lot of zone.

JAR201166

@Atmore Another adjustment to Smash you can do is run it as designed but with hot route the outside WR to a screen. I believe it is right trigger on XBOX. You might try that, especially on short yardage. I find that Smash as designed in game, either with the 3 yard hitch or with the in route like in that play art has really bad spacing issues, corners can drift off and cover both parts of the Smash combo.

I run Smash exclusively with the outside WR running that quick screen. Essentially he just turns and stands there. If the corner drifts off that's an easy throw and catch in space, if the corner comes up, you have all kinds of room to throw the corner. I would highly recommend that, especially if you're getting a lot of zone.
I have had some luck using a slant to.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
FB trap from Flex Normal (playing CPU offline Dynasty)

Another FB Trap this time from Flexbone Twins (online ranked game)

FB Trap play

1. Whatever direction the FB designed to run hold diagonal and up to the opposite directikn(if play goes right hold up and left)

2. On 4 man fronts run play opposite the 1 technique
(Have play diagram to this side(R) but hold up and left after hiking
.............................lllll
.............................lllll
.............................VV
................E......D......D...E
................T...G...C...G...T

3. If done correctly you should go straight up the middle and right past over pursuing MLB

Against 3 man front so the same but you might be able to bounce it outside

Any advice on the trap option? Same rules apply or do you never give. I've had some good gains with it on the give, but I honestly had no clue who I was supposed to be reading.

Atmore

Any advice on the trap option? Same rules apply or do you never give. I've had some good gains with it on the give, but I honestly had no clue who I was supposed to be reading.
Without getting all technical which I might get the terminology wrong anyways but.... I rarely run the full option....Its a give play for me.... I flip the play to whichever side has the biggest gap on the D-Line.... So if defense is in 4-3 Normal I would run the Give to the Left
llll
..........llll
.........VV
.........LB......LB........LB
.....E.........D........D....E
......T....G....C....G.....T

The LG pulls but the LB usually flows with LG and follows the option and it leaves a nice gap for the B-Back and read your blocks and it's an easy 4 yards.... if there is a Safety in the box or the LB is outside of the DE he might end up right in the hole to make the tackle as he flows over.... I tend only look for the "Option" or pitch if I run this play from Flex Twins with the WR to wide side of field....

Oh yeah one more thing when running this play from Normal or Close if the pitch read is not the Safety flip it at the line if your not going to automatically give.... regardless of what I said earlier the play is develops slow so you want your pitch read furthest away from the Line of scrimmage.... Sometimes I'll pick the play if someone is usering the safety just to make them have to make the choice of who to stop QB or A-Back

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I'm at a loss offensively at UCF. I had planned to run an under center, Stanford-ish heavy pro-style run offense at UCF in BSCFL but I don't know how I'm going to do that. Tried against the CPU, turned the ball over 5 times and couldn't run the ball at all from under center and that was just against the CPU. It took two quarterbacks and the few spread gun formations in the playbook and essentially going air raid just to win the game.

My best personnel are my #1 WR (5'10", 80 SPD but catches everything) and my beast TE (6'5"). I want to feature both of those guys. Then I have 3 senior power backs and a few athletic WRs (who can't catch) that I'd like to get in there. I do have a ton of OL depth. The thinking was line up with 6-7 OL on the field and run power/play action. It is much easier to get the ball to a TE under center than it is in the Pistol/Gun. The routes are better and there are some nice mismatches. Unfortunately, it is difficult to get the ball to an outside WR because there is no screen game and less time to throw. It doesn't help that my FB and backup TEs cannot block at all. The FB runs alright but not well enough to hand him the ball 10 times a game and without an option threat, putting a FB in the backfield is just dead space in this game. I tried a larger backup HB at FB some but that didn't go well. Again, unless you're running a bunch of option, it is tough to get away with that.

I could maybe make my Osborne offense work, even with the slower QBs, but FB play would still be iffy and I'm not sure that solves the problem of getting my WR involved. A heavy pro-style offense could still possibly work but it would probably have to be all single back, no FB formations. Full on option would be fun but with a 74 speed QB, probably not effective. Can't run air raid, can't even really run spread. Not sure what other options there are unless I just go full on multiple offense with bits and pieces of everything.

I'm at a loss offensively at UCF. I had planned to run an under center, Stanford-ish heavy pro-style run offense at UCF in BSCFL but I don't know how I'm going to do that. Tried against the CPU, turned the ball over 5 times and couldn't run the ball at all from under center and that was just against the CPU. It took two quarterbacks and the few spread gun formations in the playbook and essentially going air raid just to win the game.

My best personnel are my #1 WR (5'10", 80 SPD but catches everything) and my beast TE (6'5"). I want to feature both of those guys. Then I have 3 senior power backs and a few athletic WRs (who can't catch) that I'd like to get in there. I do have a ton of OL depth. The thinking was line up with 6-7 OL on the field and run power/play action. It is much easier to get the ball to a TE under center than it is in the Pistol/Gun. The routes are better and there are some nice mismatches. Unfortunately, it is difficult to get the ball to an outside WR because there is no screen game and less time to throw. It doesn't help that my FB and backup TEs cannot block at all. The FB runs alright but not well enough to hand him the ball 10 times a game and without an option threat, putting a FB in the backfield is just dead space in this game. I tried a larger backup HB at FB some but that didn't go well. Again, unless you're running a bunch of option, it is tough to get away with that.

I could maybe make my Osborne offense work, even with the slower QBs, but FB play would still be iffy and I'm not sure that solves the problem of getting my WR involved. A heavy pro-style offense could still possibly work but it would probably have to be all single back, no FB formations. Full on option would be fun but with a 74 speed QB, probably not effective. Can't run air raid, can't even really run spread. Not sure what other options there are unless I just go full on multiple offense with bits and pieces of everything.

I think your QB would be fast enough. Check his acceleration, that is more important. I have a AFA dynasty and my QB is somewhere between a 74-76 speed and he kills it on keepers. The only issue he has, if you can all it an issue, is that there is a chance he gets hawked 30 yards down field.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
New playbook I call Fast Flex. I want to go HUNH with a way to link different plays via audibles. I'm still working out the kinks on that one so this is by no means a finished product.

Some annoying things discovered is when you go no-huddle and try to run speed sweeps, WB dives or WB counters it will botch the handoff and leave the QB sitting there with the ball. Other than that I like the idea of not giving the defense time to adjust. With the ability to go to the 11A personnel you can spread the field with 3 WRs and still pound the ball inside. I added all the SG Split formations for passing situations and to retain the ability to run power formations with the SG.

PLAYBOOK.png

Schauwn

Navy, watch out for going from a SG to flex, it switches the RB and FB for me most of the time.

I just tried to make a all 20 personnel playbook and when I would HUNH from one to the other, the positions get swapped.

I discovered this too and it is exactly what I do every time I use a Smash concept. It makes it massively more useful.

Without getting all technical which I might get the terminology wrong anyways but.... I rarely run the full option....Its a give play for me.... I flip the play to whichever side has the biggest gap on the D-Line.... So if defense is in 4-3 Normal I would run the Give to the Left
llll
..........llll
.........VV
.........LB......LB........LB
.....E.........D........D....E
......T....G....C....G.....T

The LG pulls but the LB usually flows with LG and follows the option and it leaves a nice gap for the B-Back and read your blocks and it's an easy 4 yards.... if there is a Safety in the box or the LB is outside of the DE he might end up right in the hole to make the tackle as he flows over.... I tend only look for the "Option" or pitch if I run this play from Flex Twins with the WR to wide side of field....

Oh yeah one more thing when running this play from Normal or Close if the pitch read is not the Safety flip it at the line if your not going to automatically give.... regardless of what I said earlier the play is develops slow so you want your pitch read furthest away from the Line of scrimmage.... Sometimes I'll pick the play if someone is usering the safety just to make them have to make the choice of who to stop QB or A-Back

I know you run trap to the 3 tech side. What you are saying for trap option is to run it to the 1 tech side?

New playbook I call Fast Flex. I want to go HUNH with a way to link different plays via audibles. I'm still working out the kinks on that one so this is by no means a finished product.

Some annoying things discovered is when you go no-huddle and try to run speed sweeps, WB dives or WB counters it will botch the handoff and leave the QB sitting there with the ball. Other than that I like the idea of not giving the defense time to adjust. With the ability to go to the 11A personnel you can spread the field with 3 WRs and still pound the ball inside. I added all the SG Split formations for passing situations and to retain the ability to run power formations with the SG.

PLAYBOOK.png

I believe if you run the sweeps to the right they usually work in HUNH. TxHusker has done some testing on this I believe.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Navy, watch out for going from a SG to flex, it switches the RB and FB for me most of the time.

I just tried to make a all 20 personnel playbook and when I would HUNH from one to the other, the positions get swapped.

You may be able to get around that issue by switching packages. I discovered that problem in my Osborne offense when I wanted to go HUNH and audible from Flexbone Normal to Shotgun Spread. When you do that in Flexbone's base package, the players all get jumbled around. When you do the 4WR Flexbone package and audible, the wings go into the slots and FB stays in the backfield as intended. I would assume something similar can be done in various Gun/Flex sets to make it work.

I believe if you run the sweeps to the right they usually work in HUNH. TxHusker has done some testing on this I believe.

I believe this was correct, at least from the Gun. I was testing going between F Twins Over, Wing Offset and Split Offset in HUNH and the F Twins Over Jet series would only work going to the right, if I recall correctly. For whatever reason it is quirky that way.

Schauwn

Well, the situation I was referring to was going from Flexbone to Split Offset or something similar with two backs in the backfield, so going to a 4WR package wouldn't work.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Well, the situation I was referring to was going from Flexbone to Split Offset or something similar with two backs in the backfield, so going to a 4WR package wouldn't work.

It was just an example, the quirk exists in most formations. Especially those with a fullback. The package you originate in affects the positioning of players when you switch formations in HUNH. Different packages will send certain players to different spots. If you're going from Flexbone Slot Right (Normal) and go HUNH or audible to Split Offset or vice versa, you might try to a few different packages in your original formation.

In addition to the Flexbone to Spread issue I encountered, the same thing happens when I run my Pistol Weak Slot to Pistol Full House Jet series. You have to originate in the Fullback package of Pistol Weak Slot or when you audible, the player to the left of the QB will move to his right. There are weird quirks like that in almost every formation so there might be one in your 20 personnel Flex to Gun series that puts the FB at FB rather than FB at the HB position.

Atmore

I know you run trap to the 3 tech side. What you are saying for trap option is to run it to the 1 tech side?
If I remember right 1 tech is between C-G and 3 is between G-T? I literally look and run the play to the biggest gap in the DLine which I think would be the 1 tech when I'm doing an automatic give.... if I plan on running the option I run the play to whichever side makes the S the deepest man the pitch read.... hope this makes sense

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Are there any good flanker screens outside the PA ones? Been seeing the Cougs throw a lot of those for good yardage when they face off man.

The one out of Split Offset can be pretty good if it's off coverage and you HR the screen to a smoke screen rather than the awful one EA drew up. Otherwise, it's pretty dismal. I've never gotten the one out of Trey 4WR to really work.

Keep in mind that I'm talking about my Raid offense, so I'm looking for stuff in 10 personnel.

Last edited:

JAR201166

Ive never got them to work I would throw a lot of screens since I hate passing more than 5 yards down the field lol.

If I remember right 1 tech is between C-G and 3 is between G-T? I literally look and run the play to the biggest gap in the DLine which I think would be the 1 tech when I'm doing an automatic give.... if I plan on running the option I run the play to whichever side makes the S the deepest man the pitch read.... hope this makes sense
You are correct about your techs. So in trap option is your guard trapping a tackle or end in an even front?

Edit: I figured out what you mean. It works really well. I was looking for another way to feature my fullback in the some wing sets. Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

Atmore

I been running flexbone for years and it is hands down the hardest offense to run but you HAVE TO learn the blocking. For example there are 5 kinds of triple option out of Flex Normal but each one actually has different blocking

Trple Option: The linemen block inside

Triple Option Str: The linemen block outside (Lg-C) double team backside and can create hole for B-Back

Triple Option Cntr Wk: The linemen block inside (fb has more momentum and moves faster through hole and also quit hitting taking opposite side pursuit out of play)

Triple Option Cntr Str: Linemen block outside( see above amd also creates a diagonal lane if given to B-Back on the dive

Midline Trple Option: ONLY USE IF THE USE 4 man front always run to side with DT on outside shoulder of Guard.... reason being the DT is the dive read after the fake you have to cut up quickly do not try to run a regular option outside because the blocking is not set up for that

The A-Backs also block different players on each play also but that's just the option plays from normal.... running the flex you basically have to read th defense pre and post snap just like a passing offense.... figure out what they are doing and attack steadily.... some games it's 80 rushing and 300+ passing then some it's 200+ rushing and 80 passing.... you have to take what they give you
Just to cross reference what I was saying before.....

This is a Counter Weak Triple Option from Flex-Close..... notice how the defense is packed in so want to call "Wk" because linemen block inward

Triple Option Strong from Flex-Twins.... it's to the wide side of the field which means defenders will moving towards that direction.... notice how the RT goes outward to pick up his block

This is a Midline Triple Option.... on this play you want to cut straight up field after the fake to B-Back forget EVER running this as a regular Triple Option.... The blocking is set up for Dive or Cut up field

Last edited:

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Just to cross reference what I was saying before.....

This is a Counter Weak Triple Option from Flex-Close..... notice how the defense is packed in so want to call "Wk" because linemen block inward

Triple Option Strong from Flex-Twins.... it's to the wide side of the field which means defenders will moving towards that direction.... notice how the RT goes outward to pick up his block

This is a Midline Triple Option.... on this play you want to cut straight up field after the fake to B-Back forget EVER running this as a regular Triple Option.... The blocking is set up for Dive or Cut up field

Glad you posted the differences in the options. Since many looked the same I would usually delete the ones that appeared redundant. Especially useful to know how well the zone blocking works on the Cntr Options.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
So are you saying there is a difference betwwen Midline Triple Option and Triple Option. The play art looks identical.

Atmore

So are you saying there is a difference betwwen Midline Triple Option and Triple Option. The play art looks identical.
Yes.... Try yourself you will see.... the A-back play side blocks first person in his path on Midline option unlike triple where he looks for a safety.... when running Midline Option you have to be careful because he may not be able to block a DE and sometimes LB then the play is blown up in yhe backfield before you can even make a cut up.... In the video I ran it because I knew he was staying out of 4 man fronts with LB's and S backed off the line to give the A-back time to make his block but the LB ran straight for the pitchman so I knew it was gonna be a TD lol....

Last edited:

Atmore

Midline Triple Option is one of the plays I set run blocking to Aggressive because it's a gloried Dive play not an option.... or you can think of it as the QB Midline but wider

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Midline Triple Option is one of the plays I set run blocking to Aggressive because it's a gloried Dive play not an option.... or you can think of it as the QB Midline but wider

Is midline Tri Opt only in Flex Normal? Is there a difference in Trip Opt Str and Trip Opt? Or is Trip Opt Str basically like Cntr Tri Opt with it creating a downhill crease for the dive. Apologize for all the questions and thanks for the help.

Atmore

Is midline Tri Opt only in Flex Normal? Is there a difference in Trip Opt Str and Trip Opt? Or is Trip Opt Str basically like Cntr Tri Opt with it creating a downhill crease for the dive. Apologize for all the questions and thanks for the help.
Midline Try Opt is "ONLY" in normal and you have to make a custom Playbook to get it because it's in non of the team books....

Tri Opt Str and Cntr Tri Opt are the same blocking except dive.... Counters the Mesh/read and speed of B-back on dive carry is faster

Tri Opt and Cntr Opt wk are the same blocking....

On Triple option "NOT" counters the mesh is slower so if they are in say 335 or 425 keeping everyone off the line you can make a better read instead of the fast one on a counter.... with that said a counter is better to run if you know their defense is set to let you give on the dive

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Are there any good flanker screens outside the PA ones? Been seeing the Cougs throw a lot of those for good yardage when they face off man.

The one out of Split Offset can be pretty good if it's off coverage and you HR the screen to a smoke screen rather than the awful one EA drew up. Otherwise, it's pretty dismal. I've never gotten the one out of Trey 4WR to really work.

Keep in mind that I'm talking about my Raid offense, so I'm looking for stuff in 10 personnel.

I've had a little success with these types of WR Screens:

NCAA13_Shotgun_5WR_WR_Screens.jpg

Except with the screen WR hot routed to a quick screen, rather than the curl screen animation that comes standard. The same hot route I do for Smash. It is a work in progress because occasionally the blocker will run right into the receiver but it's better than the curl animation taking the receiver right back into the oncoming defenders.

I've got a few more screens I've been playing around with as well including what I would call a Mesh Screen but that one is a work in progress as well.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Yeah, that's what I do as well. The results have been pretty mixed though.

The WR screen out of 5WR Trips is good but I want something out of 10 personnel.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
How do you guys not get offensive PI called??

That only happens if you throw the ball past the line of scrimmage. It's EA's way of enforcing illegal man downfield (which is not called that consistently so pretty lame).

Atmore

Sounds crazy but I always wanted to know how to throw screens lol.... I just can't get them right and hit ny man in stride on a bubble screen and to RBs.... maybe I need to sit down and just practice

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Yeah, that's what I do as well. The results have been pretty mixed though.

The WR screen out of 5WR Trips is good but I want something out of 10 personnel.

I think a few of the Gun Trips/Trey formations have the same screen but your mileage will vary. Some are way better than others. The non-PA Bubble in Gun 4WR Trio is useful.

How do you guys not get offensive PI called??

Like Bruin said, if it is thrown behind the line it doesn't matter. I run into some Offensive PI issues when I run my adjusted Mid Screen when I hot route the receiver to an underneath route rather than the designed screen. Sometimes the throw drifts up the field and I'll get an OPI call. I have a create-your-own Tunnel Screen I use in quite a few formations that I have to be careful on as well.

Sounds crazy but I always wanted to know how to throw screens lol.... I just can't get them right and hit ny man in stride on a bubble screen and to RBs.... maybe I need to sit down and just practice

On Bubble, it helps to aim the throw up the field with the stick. But "up the field" isn't up on the stick for bubble screens, because it is in relation to your QB and the screen throw animation turns his shoulders. So if you're throwing bubble to the right, up the field is actually left on the stick. If you're throwing bubble to the left, up the right is actually right on the stick. It isn't always perfect, but it helps. I tend to aim diagonally, either up and to the right or up and to the left so my WR has to reach up for the pass as well. Usually when he reaches up, he catches it in stride.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Switched from UCF to NIU in BSCFL so my previous plans have changed. No longer have an athletic TE I want to feature but rather great blockers at TE as well as a good FB. Similar HB and WR depth, glacier slow QB. First game was a user game vs JAR, tried running my Spread-I and that was a disaster. Without a run threat at QB it is damn tough to run my typical offense. Ran alright with my backs but pass game was a disaster. Couldn't protect the QB and without having to account for the QB as a runner, it was tough.

Second game was a CPU game vs ULM, decided to use NIU's default playbook which is mostly two back and/or two TE Pistol and Gun. Still couldn't pass. This game was on the road so my QB was a little wild but two more INT, 7 of 18 just 75 yards. Feel like a 85 THP/89 THA QB should be a better thrower. Run game was legit though, couple 100+ yard rushers, one for 179 and one for 131 and even got a 21 yard TD run from the 65 SPD QB. 90% of my run game was Pistol Twin TE/Twin TE Slot or two back Stretch and Power. Worked surprisingly well. Helps that I made some subs on my OL to get better run blockers in.

I have pretty good WRs here including a guy with a 99 catch rating, just not sure how I'm going to get them the ball. They aren't speed guys, more solid hands guys to run shallows and slants with. Top HB is hurt but the HBs behind him are all good. Not really sure what I can do if this QB isn't going to hit some of these throws, takes a lot of options off the table.

Atmore

Switched from UCF to NIU in BSCFL so my previous plans have changed. No longer have an athletic TE I want to feature but rather great blockers at TE as well as a good FB. Similar HB and WR depth, glacier slow QB. First game was a user game vs JAR, tried running my Spread-I and that was a disaster. Without a run threat at QB it is damn tough to run my typical offense. Ran alright with my backs but pass game was a disaster. Couldn't protect the QB and without having to account for the QB as a runner, it was tough.

Second game was a CPU game vs ULM, decided to use NIU's default playbook which is mostly two back and/or two TE Pistol and Gun. Still couldn't pass. This game was on the road so my QB was a little wild but two more INT, 7 of 18 just 75 yards. Feel like a 85 THP/89 THA QB should be a better thrower. Run game was legit though, couple 100+ yard rushers, one for 179 and one for 131 and even got a 21 yard TD run from the 65 SPD QB. 90% of my run game was Pistol Twin TE/Twin TE Slot or two back Stretch and Power. Worked surprisingly well. Helps that I made some subs on my OL to get better run blockers in.

I have pretty good WRs here including a guy with a 99 catch rating, just not sure how I'm going to get them the ball. They aren't speed guys, more solid hands guys to run shallows and slants with. Top HB is hurt but the HBs behind him are all good. Not really sure what I can do if this QB isn't going to hit some of these throws, takes a lot of options off the table.
I'm no offensive guru but I had the same problem using Houston in an Online Dynasty slow QB with no arm, Slow RB, No TE and decent WR.... I just went 4 Wide under center ala Washington St with Ryan Leaf and formation subbed ALOT putting best WR everywhere.... many times in the slot.... maybe you can do something like that out of your Pistol formations

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I'm no offensive guru but I had the same problem using Houston in an Online Dynasty slow QB with no arm, Slow RB, No TE and decent WR.... I just went 4 Wide under center ala Washington St with Ryan Leaf and formation subbed ALOT putting best WR everywhere.... many times in the slot.... maybe you can do something like that out of your Pistol formations

I was actually kind of thinking about that. For some reason, I feel like it is easier to throw with a slower drop back type of QB taking an under center drop back rather than snap and throw like in Pistol/Gun. Just seems like it times up a lot better and you get a much more accurate pass from that kind of QB. I have a great FB I want to get on the field though. He is actually an equally good runner and blocker so I may do a lot more one and two back pro-style. Sprinkle a little option in (hoping I get a give read). Then plug in some Pistol.