• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Spread Offense

JAR201166

What are some of your guys main passing plays/reads im determined to become a better passer. An make my offense more balanced.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Smash and Shallow are probably my two best pass concepts. I feel like they work against pretty much any coverage and provide a fairly safe and simple read. Y Corner out of 2x2 Spread sets is another good one. I also enjoy screening people to death, I have a very developed screen game in pretty much every offense I run. Part of that is because I'm usually too scared to take shots down field but also because I usually run so much I face loaded boxes and blitzes all day.

I decided I would focus mostly an on Empty offense for UNC. I went back and forth on doing some Pistol/Offset Gun option stuff but I just don't think it makes a lot of sense. Option always sounds good in theory and then you face aggressive option D all game and find yourself handing it off 50 times. My Spread-I succeeded because it was mostly traditional runs with option sprinkled in. Without a tight end to help set the edge or lead block, I'm not too comfortable running traditional stuff like Buck Sweep or Power and Counter and I want to use these receivers. I have two very quick slot receivers and two 6'4" monsters outside.

Still plan to be fairly balanced, run Jet and Option and a few QB runs here and there. Probably will take advantage of some special formations for short yardage, like SG Ace with OL at TE. Maybe some wildcat. I want so badly to run some Pistol but it is mostly useless unless you're running option.

JAR201166

Im starting to run something like Auburn does no huddle run a inside zone till you stop it same formation just snap the ball as quick as you can. Threw 5 ints trying to throw it a lot with houston ugh...

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
After watching the Wofford/Georgia Tech game, I made two back option offense. Primary formations are split offset, I form Slot, and the Diamond. I added in 21 I form, spread offset, and normal offset to get motion. It's the closest I can come to a modern hybrid of the flex and spread like Wofford is doing. The bone formations are terrible.

JAR201166

I wish like everything we could get some shotgun wing t plays in an Ncaa game if ones ever made again. F twins is the closest thing to it ive seen an the fake jet inside zone doesn't seem like it hits as fast the other ones ;/

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
After watching the Wofford/Georgia Tech game, I made two back option offense. Primary formations are split offset, I form Slot, and the Diamond. I added in 21 I form, spread offset, and normal offset to get motion. It's the closest I can come to a modern hybrid of the flex and spread like Wofford is doing. The bone formations are terrible.

Wofford runs some fun stuff. I had considered a multiple option book where I was in I Slot, a few Flexbone sets, Split Offset and a few Pistol sets and I may do it eventually, but I just need to be passing the ball with this group i have. Too many great receivers and a great passer.

If I really, really wanted to I could run an entire game of up-tempo 20 personnel. I Slot, Flexbone Slot/Trips Pistol Weak Slot, Gun Split Offset I could do some damage. 20 personnel is my favorite. Especially if one or both of those backs can catch the ball out of the backfield.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Well I played my first full game in months and it was not pretty but successful. It was UNC and Old Dominion the final game of the season so I outmatched them quite a bit. I used Missouri's default playbook and run a ton of Empty. It wasn't bad, the Empty was really great for screens and QB Blast but it was also very ugly at times. I ran 80 plays for over 600 yards, 300+ rushing/300+passing.

I think I'm just going to wait until the off-season before I commit to one offensive style or another. Tight end is a dicey situation, but there is actually a fullback on the roster who isn't too bad and might be competent enough to run my Spread-I or at least bits and pieces of it. He's just 70 OVR but should jump up to 75 or so in training, 76 SPD, low to mid 70s blocker across the board and a decent pass catcher. That isn't great but it might be competent enough and balanced enough to work. The 69 OVR TE is quick at 83 speed but mid-60s block ratings are useless. I do want to see what this OL turns into at TE. He's a 70 OT and 68 TE on the depth chart and he's slow as hell but upper 70s block ratings and 65 catch might turn into something, even if it is just one dimensional power run.

My big hesitation with going full on Empty is being able to run the ball when QBA 5 and press coverage cause havoc in the passing game. Maybe I'll just take the non-TE parts of my Spread-I plus the Empty stuff and call it a day.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Tl;dr A high school receiver who rode the bench is in love with the offense he played in.

Wofford runs some fun stuff. I had considered a multiple option book where I was in I Slot, a few Flexbone sets, Split Offset and a few Pistol sets and I may do it eventually, but I just need to be passing the ball with this group i have. Too many great receivers and a great passer.

If I really, really wanted to I could run an entire game of up-tempo 20 personnel. I Slot, Flexbone Slot/Trips Pistol Weak Slot, Gun Split Offset I could do some damage. 20 personnel is my favorite. Especially if one or both of those backs can catch the ball out of the backfield.

They based out of split offset and basically ran the 'ole split back veer like Marshall and so many other teams from the seventies. They used the flexbone a few times per drive, but it wasn't very successful. As late three years ago, they were exclusively a wishbone offense.

I know this isn't the option thread, but I feel it's relevant considering recent trends made popular by Chip Kelly and Gus Malzahn.

A split back veer could bring the balance I've desired from the spread while maintaining the old school option principles. I'm a sucker for the West Coast, and all of the formations have those concepts when you add in the I. Split backs under center also has the Packer Sweep.

I came across Texas' original Wishbone film with Darrell Royal spending 45 minutes explaining the offense. The wishbone and I are really the only two under center formations that can run the option, and both mesh well with the spread.

Right now, I'm basing out of split offset and mixing split offset wing for a wishbone look. Spread offset gives me something similar to the flexbone, and I have F Twins over and 5 WR Trio to run single wing concepts.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
They based out of split offset and basically ran the 'ole split back veer like Marshall and so many other teams from the seventies. They used the flexbone a few times per drive, but it wasn't very successful. As late three years ago, they were exclusively a wishbone offense.

I know this isn't the option thread, but I feel it's relevant considering recent trends made popular by Chip Kelly and Gus Malzahn.

A split back veer could bring the balance I've desired from the spread while maintaining the old school option principles. I'm a sucker for the West Coast, and all of the formations have those concepts when you add in the I. Split backs under center also has the Packer Sweep.

I came across Texas' original Wishbone film with Darrell Royal spending 45 minutes explaining the offense. The wishbone and I are really the only two under center formations that can run the option, and both mesh well with the spread.

Right now, I'm basing out of split offset and mixing split offset wing for a wishbone look. Spread offset gives me something similar to the flexbone, and I have F Twins over and 5 WR Trio to run single wing concepts.

Spread Offset is a really good formation to have if you're running option, no matter what you base out of. Great option formation with enough passing to get you by when necessary. Really easy to seamlessly flip the play at the line of scrimmage to run it the other direction if you get an overload towards the initial back alignment. Honestly, spread offset is one of the best formations in the game regardless of your offensive style. You can do pretty much anything you want out of it and it's very easy to get both screens as your quick audibles.

Have you tried any Flexbone? At least Flexbone Normal? I would highly recommend Flexbone Normal in any option book like this because you can run Flexbone Normal (4WR package) and go hurry-up and audible to Spread Offset and it causes havoc against some users because usually they'll be in heavy personnel and you've got speed in the slots and can throw bubble out there or just run Read/Dive.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Is there any playbooks with a lot of straight Qb runs in them?

Default playbook? Not really. You can find a few with some Blast/Power mixed in but definitely not any where you can run a complete QB run game. You'd have to go to a custom playbook if you wanted a legit QB run offense. I had a QB run variant of my Spread-I at one point but honestly it is tough to have an offense built entirely around the QB run game. QB runs are essentially limited to Wrap/Power/Blast and QB Power is limited to only a handful of formations. Unless you want to start dipping into Wildcat which adds a few options in there.

You can do it, it just takes some dedication and trial and error with custom books.

JAR201166

I was messing around in practice mode with vandy an my Qb broke a lot of tackles. Wish the veer worked better in this game. I might make a custom playbook idk it used to screw up user games sometimes.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I was messing around in practice mode with vandy an my Qb broke a lot of tackles. Wish the veer worked better in this game. I might make a custom playbook idk it used to screw up user games sometimes.

Occasionally custom books get corrupted and cause connection issues, but it is pretty rare. You should be safe to use one. At worst it corrupts and you have to use a default for a game.

I love having a good QB run game, especially if you have one of those ATH/QB types you can plug in but man it takes dedication. I don't know what your TE situation is but I would highly recommend Gun Twin TE Slot because the QB Power play in there is filthy. You can flip it and motion the 2nd TE over to lead block and it works perfectly. Wildcat only really works if your QB is quick, if he's more of a power runner you're better off spreading it out to run Blast/Power.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Default playbook? Not really. You can find a few with some Blast/Power mixed in but definitely not any where you can run a complete QB run game. You'd have to go to a custom playbook if you wanted a legit QB run offense. I had a QB run variant of my Spread-I at one point but honestly it is tough to have an offense built entirely around the QB run game. QB runs are essentially limited to Wrap/Power/Blast and QB Power is limited to only a handful of formations. Unless you want to start dipping into Wildcat which adds a few options in there.

You can do it, it just takes some dedication and trial and error with custom books.

Tried it, and everything in it is ineffective.

I went back today and built a split back veer with base 20 personnel. Racked up 500 yards and 42 points. It's all the option in I formation + all the split back gun + split back under center + pistol diamond/flex. I have a few more 11 personnel formations, but they're really just fluff.

Core concept is the option, but I also have a zone based run game w/ counter and toss.

One drive, I started in I form and just tried to cycle through each formation to see if it would work. Sure enough, everything worked perfectly. Drive started with the FB dive, then a screen, then packer sweep from split backs scored a big TD.

I'm running dual HB packages for all sets. It's amazing how well the blocking workings with a back who can hit the line quickly.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Starting to get some ideas to click offensively for both UNC and now UCF. Forgot how tough it was to develop/adapt an offense to take advantage of certain personnel.

In the case of UNC, I think I'm going to just run a hybrid version of my Spread-I. As dire as the H-Back situation is, I tested it using a combination of my Fullback, Tight End and the OL I'll move to TE and the three combined make one serviceable H-Back. The FB and TE should both be in the mid-70s after training, with the FB a competent blocker and the TE a solid receiver. The H-Back in my Spread-I is generally a true fullback, mostly blocking, so I should be alright with the FB/OL. For the most part, I'll be sitting in Split Offset, Spread Flex, Trio 4WR, Trio 4WR Strong, 5WR Trio so the H-Back situation won't be an issue, but I'll mix in a few H-Back packages as well as some but special packages where I can put 7 OL on the field and run some QB Power/Blast. The idea of running Gun Twin TE Slot/Slot Wk with 7 OL on the field ala Stanford sounds like a lot of fun.

I went back and forth on a few different schemes for UNC from full on spread triple option to air raid to hybrid type of offenses like A&M or Missouri but ultimately I'll just stick with what I know and run my offense with a few tweaks to make use out of fairly athletic QBs, 3 great HB and 4 great WR. A very, VERY diverse screen game and a lot of inside zone. A lot more developed downfield passing game as well to get the ball to the two 6'4" book end receivers. I really wanted to run some more traditional gun stuff like Spread and Trips but the run game was trash and have to be able to run the ball because QBA 5 is going to cause havoc with this group of QBs.

UCF is a different beast entirely. In that case, I have multiple talented QBs, all of which are pass first, low 70s speed. I have three good Senior HBs, 1 great WR, 1 great TE and literally nothing else. A few speedy athlete types at receiver but as I learned after game #1, they can't catch making them receivers in name only. Good for throwing screens to. Since I want to feature the TE rather than relegate him to blocking, I can't run my Spread-I here unless I wanted to put him at the Y/slot receiver position, which I do not. No skill position depth is a disaster for me. In this case, I think I'm going to run a hybrid power offense. Essentially what Stanford and the 49ers run. I don't have a FB or TE depth but I can make it work. A lot of Ace, a lot of I, some Pistol and Gun. Still able to spread it out a bit but for the most part under center, often with 6 or 7 OL. I might run some tempo with this though, I think I can package the formations in such a way that I can get in and out of a variety of formations in no-huddle.

Should be interesting to see what I can come up with for UCF. Multiple pro-style offenses are not even remotely close to anything I know how to do offensively. I"m thinking more formations, less plays in each. Whereas my Spread-I is the same concepts out of essentially the same 5 formations 2x1 Split, 2x1 Wing, 2x2, 3x1, Empty. Still a little dash of option though because I love me some option.

Atmore

Earlier you guys were talking about OL.... Have any of you played with blocking on CONSERVATIVE for the whole game? I run flexbone and it seems as if they block better or atleast get off blocks to other defenders better.... I wanted to know if anybody else has tried it out....

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Seems like agressive blocking would be better, holding is rarely called and if it is, your offense should be able to overcome it most times anyway.

Atmore

Seems like agressive blocking would be better, holding is rarely called and if it is, your offense should be able to overcome it most times anyway.

I have always uswd Aggressive and then one day just tried Conservative and it seems to work better.... I have been busting Sweeps for long gains.... I even tried switching back and forth Conservative:Option, traps, sweeps and finesse runs then Aggressive: Dives, FB Sting and power runs.... Of course these were both lobby games and I was glitched out of my wins, because they froze the game I couldn't go back and look at the stats

In my Dynasties Irecruited high ACC, RBK, Impact blocking and Agi last if other stats were similar between recruits....I also never pick up the 300++ lbs OL just always figured that's not what I needed but I could be wrong

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I've never really put much effort into aggressive/conservative blocking. Occasionally when I feel like my offensive line is just getting destroyed I'll try aggressive but that's pretty rare. The only coach adjustments I really use on offense are conservative pass catch and if I'm leading late, conservative carry to counter the inevitable aggressive strip attempts. I kind of like the idea of switching between aggressive and conservative depending on the type of play being run, but I get the feeling I would just forget to switch it more often than not.

JAR201166

After playing madden on ps4 for a while and fumbling a lot :angry: I use conservative ball carry every game.

Atmore

....like I said I run flexbone and I'm not sure how the blocking aggressive or conservative works in other offensive styles.... regardless let me know what y'all think about conservative

JAR201166

I would love to see somebody run the flexbone an it work in this game...ive messed with it an the only run plays I could get goin was the misdirection play and fb dive.

Atmore

I would love to see somebody run the flexbone an it work in this game...ive messed with it an the only run plays I could get goin was the misdirection play and fb dive.

I been running flexbone for years and it is hands down the hardest offense to run but you HAVE TO learn the blocking. For example there are 5 kinds of triple option out of Flex Normal but each one actually has different blocking

Trple Option: The linemen block inside

Triple Option Str: The linemen block outside (Lg-C) double team backside and can create hole for B-Back

Triple Option Cntr Wk: The linemen block inside (fb has more momentum and moves faster through hole and also quit hitting taking opposite side pursuit out of play)

Triple Option Cntr Str: Linemen block outside( see above amd also creates a diagonal lane if given to B-Back on the dive

Midline Trple Option: ONLY USE IF THE USE 4 man front always run to side with DT on outside shoulder of Guard.... reason being the DT is the dive read after the fake you have to cut up quickly do not try to run a regular option outside because the blocking is not set up for that

The A-Backs also block different players on each play also but that's just the option plays from normal.... running the flex you basically have to read th defense pre and post snap just like a passing offense.... figure out what they are doing and attack steadily.... some games it's 80 rushing and 300+ passing then some it's 200+ rushing and 80 passing.... you have to take what they give you

Atmore

FB trap from Flex Normal (playing CPU offline Dynasty)

Another FB Trap this time from Flexbone Twins (online ranked game)

FB Trap play

1. Whatever direction the FB designed to run hold diagonal and up to the opposite directikn(if play goes right hold up and left)

2. On 4 man fronts run play opposite the 1 technique
(Have play diagram to this side(R) but hold up and left after hiking
.............................lllll
.............................lllll
.............................VV
................E......D......D...E
................T...G...C...G...T

3. If done correctly you should go straight up the middle and right past over pursuing MLB

Against 3 man front so the same but you might be able to bounce it outside

fonzilla

Nice write up... I bet that technique with the fb trap probably works with hb traps from shotgun too....

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
I been running flexbone for years and it is hands down the hardest offense to run but you HAVE TO learn the blocking. For example there are 5 kinds of triple option out of Flex Normal but each one actually has different blocking

Triple Option Str: The linemen block outside (Lg-C) double team backside and can create hole for B-Back

Triple Option Cntr Wk: The linemen block inside (fb has more momentum and moves faster through hole and also quit hitting taking opposite side pursuit out of play)

Triple Option Cntr Str: Linemen block outside( see above amd also creates a diagonal lane if given to B-Back on the dive

Midline Trple Option: ONLY USE IF THE USE 4 man front always run to side with DT on outside shoulder of Guard.... reason being the DT is the dive read after the fake you have to cut up quickly do not try to run a regular option outside because the blocking is not set up for that

The A-Backs also block different players on each play also but that's just the option plays from normal.... running the flex you basically have to read th defense pre and post snap just like a passing offense.... figure out what they are doing and attack steadily.... some games it's 80 rushing and 300+ passing then some it's 200+ rushing and 80 passing.... you have to take what they give you

Awesome post. I have fully committed to running the flex and I agree it is a challenge. Are you on XBox or PS3?

Schauwn

That flexbone is my favorite offense to run in offline because it is such a challenge, it keeps games close and interesting instead of running the spread option and going for 300+ on the ground every game.

Not sure if posting option here is appropriate but I too have switched from a spread to a flex type offense. The tips for trap have been extremely helpful as I follow the option thread on OS. I have had great success with Rocket Toss as well, but it only works with a tight end. Honestly, I try to make my offense as Wing Tish as possible which leads to a lot of jet and rocket sweeps and dive or trap for the fullback.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
My most successful play in the Flex series is Midline Option. Even when it's blown up I can usually get at least 2-3 yards.

JAR201166

Nice write up got anything on your passing game?

Atmore

Awesome post. I have fully committed to running the flex and I agree it is a challenge. Are you on XBox or PS3?

I'm on PS3

Not sure if posting option here is appropriate but I too have switched from a spread to a flex type offense. The tips for trap have been extremely helpful as I follow the option thread on OS. I have had great success with Rocket Toss as well, but it only works with a tight end. Honestly, I try to make my offense as Wing Tish as possible which leads to a lot of jet and rocket sweeps and dive or trap for the fullback.

On OS my name is AtmBoog and I'm all over that thread lol.... I barely use toss but when I do it works

Last edited:

Atmore

Nice write up got anything on your passing game?

Passing I would have to make a whole post lol.... A quick tip is find a play that has basic concepts from different passing formations and reproduce them with WR hot routes.... I do have some plays I use alot but can't remember the name right now.... the most important thing is to cancel fakes with B-Back and have the O-line slide block to opposite side of where he blocks.... I can post some later and my bad for high jacking the Spread Thread lol....

JAR201166

Passing I would have to make a whole post lol.... A quick tip is find a play that has basic concepts from different passing formations and reproduce them with WR hot routes.... I do have some plays I use alot but can't remember the name right now.... the most important thing is to cancel fakes with B-Back and have the O-line slide block to opposite side of where he blocks.... I can post some later and my bad for high jacking the Spread Thread lol....
I consider it a spread offense so im good with it lol.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I have run bits and pieces of Flexbone but I just can't get into it enough to run it as a full on offense.

I am about to start dabbling in some pro-style though so there is a first time for everything I suppose.

I have run bits and pieces of Flexbone but I just can't get into it enough to run it as a full on offense.

I am about to start dabbling in some pro-style though so there is a first time for everything I suppose.

My offense is more of a prostyle offense from bone formations. Honestly, I love to ground and pound so I probably only call options on 20% of my runs. I love me some power, but I like using multiple backs.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
My offense is more of a prostyle offense from bone formations. Honestly, I love to ground and pound so I probably only call options on 20% of my runs. I love me some power, but I like using multiple backs.

Sounds like a lot of what I do with my Osborne offense. Mostly traditional runs with option sprinkled in. Even my Spread-I is like that, power interior runs with a little option mixed in. It's tough to be full on option in OD play. Inevitably you face aggressive option defense and you're giving on the dive over and over and that isn't much fun.

Sounds like a lot of what I do with my Osborne offense. Mostly traditional runs with option sprinkled in. Even my Spread-I is like that, power interior runs with a little option mixed in. It's tough to be full on option in OD play. Inevitably you face aggressive option defense and you're giving on the dive over and over and that isn't much fun.
I have followed your posts since the OzBone days so it's safe to say I took some ideas from you. I like the option but not as much as I love the wing t. So most of my ideas are trying to replicate the wing t which is a chore in its self. I guess I try to run a high school offense in a college video game lol.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I have followed your posts since the OzBone days so it's safe to say I took some ideas from you. I like the option but not as much as I love the wing t. So most of my ideas are trying to replicate the wing t which is a chore in its self. I guess I try to run a high school offense in a college video game lol.

I would love to run a legit Wing-T but you're pretty much limited to Buck Sweep. None of the misdirection and interior stuff that typically comes with a Wing-T offense can really be replicated. I suppose you can get in the general vicinity with Buck and Jet but that's about it.

I'm not fully committed to it yet but right now I'm leaning on running a pro-style(ish) offense in one of these ODs. Something like Stanford or the 49ers run but maybe with a very, very slight dash of option mixed in. I may tire of it pretty quickly but I want to do something a little different that people don't see each week in an OD.

JAR201166

After messing around with the flexbone again I think I can make it work. Can't get the triple option goin in anything but pistol though.