• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Spread Offense

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I actually prefer the PA screens. I feel like the animation makes the timing a bit better. Occasionally I'll override the animation and just snap and sling it out there quick, but more often than not I'll let the full fake, turn, throw animation play out. The receiver gets more width that way and it's less likely the slot defender can adjust and make the play. Usually helps the outside receivers engage their blocks as well.

The times where I override the animation and just snap and get the ball out immediately are usually when I see an overload blitz to that side or if the outside CB is especially far off the line of scrimmage.

I have kind of gotten away from PA WR Screens though, I face press coverage pretty much all the time against users so the PA WR Screens are mostly useless. When I want to get the ball out wide quickly I'll just run a quick hitch or slant or something.

Atmore

Since this is about the Spread how do you all incorporate screens? I have been trying to figure out what screens work and how to throw them.... I have had bubbles intercepted because the QB throws the ball forward pass the line of scrimmage instead of behind, WR Screens were they step back with 2 blockers are very hit or miss because blocking.... I really want to add them to my game.... also do you pass lead on certain screens, bullet or just press the throw button and let go

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Since this is about the Spread how do you all incorporate screens? I have been trying to figure out what screens work and how to throw them.... I have had bubbles intercepted because the QB throws the ball forward pass the line of scrimmage instead of behind, WR Screens were they step back with 2 blockers are very hit or miss because blocking.... I really want to add them to my game.... also do you pass lead on certain screens, bullet or just press the throw button and let go

The biggest challenge with screens is knowing when to throw them. Only throw WR and bubble screens when the defense is playing loose coverage (4-8 yards off the LOS) or you have a man advantage. This usually means the defense is playing zone. Only throw HB screens against cover 2. Hope this helps.

Atmore

The biggest challenge with screens is knowing when to throw them. Only throw WR and bubble screens when the defense is playing loose coverage (4-8 yards off the LOS) or you have a man advantage. This usually means the defense is playing zone. Only throw HB screens against cover 2. Hope this helps.

I appreciate it but even with all of that said how do you throw them? For instance some bubble screens have a playaction in the backfield. Do you hike and fire it? Do you hike wait and pass lead up,down,left or right? I have had such a mix of success and failure but more failure throwing screens.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I appreciate it but even with all of that said how do you throw them? For instance some bubble screens have a playaction in the backfield. Do you hike and fire it? Do you hike wait and pass lead up,down,left or right? I have had such a mix of success and failure but more failure throwing screens.

PA screens are hike and fire. Others are wait and lead to the direction of the sideline.

Atmore

Found an awesome breakdown of how to exploit defenses with a solo receiver in trips. Absolutely incredible stuff from this guy.

http://coachgrabowski.wordpress.com...-x-factor-utilizing-your-singled-up-receiver/

I try to do some of this when the CB is backed off and hot routing to say a slant, In or shallow. Then CB has super speed to react and swat the ball away or get an INT.... Now what I haven't done is put my best WR one on one to see if his route running would greatly improve the chance of him being open

fanoftgame

I try to do some of this when the CB is backed off and hot routing to say a slant, In or shallow. Then CB has super speed to react and swat the ball away or get an INT.... Now what I haven't done is put my best WR one on one to see if his route running would greatly improve the chance of him being open
Yea I pretty much always isolate my number 1wr to the single reciever side. A lot of times I put the strength into the boundary to give him more room to work

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
That was '06, '04 was Meyer's undefeated year at Utah

I remember watching that game as a kid. I used to be a huge Gator fan

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
That was '06, '04 was Meyer's undefeated year at Utah

I remember watching that game as a kid. I used to be a huge Gator fan

Thanks for the correction. I thought it sounded off, but I must have misheard the announcers.

I've watched the whole game, and Meyer's offense that year was:
Trips (with and without a TE) with lots of HB motion
Empty with HB motioning "in"
Unbalanced Strong I (21 and 20 personnel) with a handful of fly sweeps
Wildcat (Tebow and Harvin)
Bunch (Shotgun and under center)

That was it. About 10 formations and only three or four plays in each. They dropped 41 points with something that simple. The only 2x2 formation they used was Strong I 3 WR, and that often had fly motion involved.

LEGEND

Anyone experiment with using smaller more athletic offensive linemen for their spread?

I noticed my linemen don't seem to make it to the next lvl or get off blocks quickly on my tripleoption runs. Thought using more agile guys like GT does my help....

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Anyone experiment with using smaller more athletic offensive linemen for their spread?

I noticed my linemen don't seem to make it to the next lvl or get off blocks quickly on my tripleoption runs. Thought using more agile guys like GT does my help....

Keep in mind size doesn't matter :laughing: in NCAA 14. I've seen big guys play safety in created teams without an issue. They basically add pixels without weight.

In my current dynasty, my LT got hurt early on, and a blocking TE came in off the bench. I'm really thin on OL. The results have been... lackluster. He's great when I option off his DE, but he can't block DLs on zone, power, or counter. He consistently whiffs the blocks like the FB does when running from the I.

My suggestion: Use "quicker" linemen at your own peril. Your best bet is to find what Madden calls "maulers" that can pancake block quickly and move on to the linebackers.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Just finished up a season in my spread offline dynasty. My O-Line was:

6'7" 308 (LT)
6'6" 302 (LG)
6'1" 299 (C)
6'2" 321 (RG)
6'5" 306 (RT)

Like Zack said, I would use bigger guys. I didn't really have any problems with run blocking, outside of my RT occasionally missing since he's a true freshman. I don't think trying to recruit smaller guys a la Oregon would help you any.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator

As others said, size doesn't matter in NCAA land, 5' might as well be 7' and 270 might as well be 320 but athleticism is important. Acceleration specifically. Quick acceleration at the two guard spots will go a long ways in a spread to run offense. I always run a lot of pull plays (counter, power, buck, trap) so the quicker those guards can get moving the better. It is noticeable on pull plays.

However, if you're only running zone/option, athleticism honestly doesn't matter. They'll get up the field on their zone rotations just as quickly regardless of their ratings. In the open field the more athletic linemen might be able to help you out some, but by then you're talking differences of a couple yards and your ball carrier will be running up their back pretty quickly. For zone runs, I would say awareness and individual block ratings have a far greater impact than any athleticism ratings would.

I'm getting ready to dive back into '14 after taking the spring/summer off so we'll see how all of this comes back to me but experimenting with OL types is something I have an absurd amount of experience with. And like most things involving NCAA, it only concludes with sadness.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
I hate how garbage the lead blocking is. If someone is playing Conservative on Read Option stuff, then Y Lead Read Option should take care of their defender but instead he runs right by them and heads for the safety.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
What is the point of the Buck Sweep Read? Seems like I might as well just run Buck Sweep if I get the give read, and if I get a keep read, I usually get nothing on the play.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I hate how garbage the lead blocking is. If someone is playing Conservative on Read Option stuff, then Y Lead Read Option should take care of their defender but instead he runs right by them and heads for the safety.

In a perfect world, the Y Lead would adjust his assignment on the fly and log block that guy to turn him inside but that would require much too in depth programming.

Actually, in a really perfect world, there would be a Y Lead Wrap/Trap play where it is designed QB keep all the way and the Y would just log or kick that guy who thinks he is being read. Nebraska used to beat teams to death with an I-Formation version of that. That end man would be left alone and the playside guard would trap and kick so the QB could duck under as a designed keeper. Florida did the same with Tebow except trapped an interior lineman as a complimentary play to midline read. Oregon has done it here and there with Mariota as well.

One can dream.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
What is the point of the Buck Sweep Read? Seems like I might as well just run Buck Sweep if I get the give read, and if I get a keep read, I usually get nothing on the play.

Buck Sweep Read is kind of nice against people who run aggressive option D to stop the QB because you're getting a give read anyway and you're eliminating that guy with a read so the backside tackle can release to the second level. But it's rare he gets a block that matters. I always had Buck Read in my books and think I maybe ran it once.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
In a perfect world, the Y Lead would adjust his assignment on the fly and log block that guy to turn him inside but that would require much too in depth programming.

Actually, in a really perfect world, there would be a Y Lead Wrap/Trap play where it is designed QB keep all the way and the Y would just log or kick that guy who thinks he is being read. Nebraska used to beat teams to death with an I-Formation version of that. That end man would be left alone and the playside guard would trap and kick so the QB could duck under as a designed keeper. Florida did the same with Tebow except trapped an interior lineman as a complimentary play to midline read. Oregon has done it here and there with Mariota as well.

One can dream.

After reading this post, I'm adding QB Wrap to my playbook. I never thought about using it this way.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Updating my Gulf Coast Offense to what I'm seeing at the FCS level (formation and personnel). Almost every major team runs pistol and shotgun with 11/10 personnel 90% of the time. I still have the West Coast staples, but the spread option part of the book is really going now with the faster players on the field.

I averaged around 300 YPG passing and 150 YPG rushing in my offline dynasty. Finished the season 10-2 as a 85 overall team in a conference with a lot of 90+ teams. Finished 3rd in the conference with my only two losses against conference foes.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
The West Coast rollout game is deadly with a spread QB. You can use it to counter aggressive alley defenders trying to stop the lead/shovel/speed option. Just make sure you run it to the QB's throwing side.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
QB Wrap is one of those plays you kind of have to stop yourself from overusing because it can be incredibly powerful. I generally don't have an issue running it to death against users because it stops them from being too aggressive in manual run support but you can abuse the CPU in a hurry with Wrap.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
I think Wrap was more overpowered in 13 for whatever reason.

Wooly

One can dream.
After reading this post, I'm adding QB Wrap to my playbook. I never thought about using it this way.
Had you not used it before? It's a great play.

I have not played the PS3 version of NCAA, but I believe you are talking about a G trap blocking play (playside guard trap) with a QB designed keep in the hole with FB lead blocking.

Nebraska did indeed use this for a lot of devastating QB keepers, as TxHusker mentioned. The threat of the regular option with the I back pitch man made the DE and OLB have to be reading flow to the outside, and cheating just a step or two. The DE assumed he was going to be the read man for the pitch...and then all of the sudden he is getting kick-out blocked and the play is inside of him, making him woefully out of position as multiple blockers run up the B gap area and clear a lane. Usually the QB just runs at a 45 degree angle through the B gap, basically right over the top of where the DE was, and can get a good 5 yards without being touched if the down blocking is halfway decent you run the play fast enough. If you run an ample number of regular option plays to set this up, this kind of option is just so hard to stop.

Here is a picture of one type of G block against a 4-3 front.

ProR32trap.gif

fanoftgame

For the wrap.
I was kinda think opposite i think its sets up too well to be run vs human. I never run it either way.

Its also one of reason i play option conservative, because if you play someone who uses it frequently its you constantly have to be ready to user defend it.

I played a guy in top 15 on ps3 in a "st8" game. His whole offense consisted of qb wrap out of multiple formations. Was ridiculouse. I won though but i had user heavily to contain it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Putting my new pistol/option on SimSports tonight. Will cross-post here and the option thread with a full write-up.

Last edited:

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I have not played the PS3 version of NCAA, but I believe you are talking about a G trap blocking play (playside guard trap) with a QB designed keep in the hole with FB lead blocking.

Nebraska did indeed use this for a lot of devastating QB keepers, as TxHusker mentioned. The threat of the regular option with the I back pitch man made the DE and OLB have to be reading flow to the outside, and cheating just a step or two. The DE assumed he was going to be the read man for the pitch...and then all of the sudden he is getting kick-out blocked and the play is inside of him, making him woefully out of position as multiple blockers run up the B gap area and clear a lane. Usually the QB just runs at a 45 degree angle through the B gap, basically right over the top of where the DE was, and can get a good 5 yards without being touched if the down blocking is halfway decent you run the play fast enough. If you run an ample number of regular option plays to set this up, this kind of option is just so hard to stop.

Here is a picture of one type of G block against a 4-3 front.

ProR32trap.gif

That's precisely what I'm talking about. A whole series of plays based off that one look. FB Trap, QB/IB Double Option, a QB Keep just ducking in behind the FB and then there was a pass off of the look as well. It all looks identical. That end would fall asleep assuming he was getting optioned off of and get smashed on a trap while the FB or the QB with the FB leading him through bust off a huge run.

Nebraska ran 32/38 Trap 35 times in 1996 and averaged 9.49 yards per carry on it. Absolutely devastating play in the scheme of the whole offense. Everything would be going outside on options and stretch plays and pitch plays and counter trap and counter sweep and then all of a sudden the FB gets the ball and is motoring 10 yards down the field before anyone knew what happened.

A nice trap play has never hurt anyone.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Turned on NCAA for the first time in a while last night just to get familiar with it again before playing in BSCFL. Just like riding a bike, although I can't say I had a lot of fun running my spread offense. Maybe it is just because the CPU is so dumb but man it is easy to hang 60 on the CPU running spread option.

Depending on the team/roster I take over in BSCFL, I'll probably redesign a new offense. I'm about as run-first as it gets but I feel like slinging it around a little bit this time through NCAA. Guess we'll see what I take over since I'll probably be doing it blind.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
JSU Zack's Pistol Option
Online playbook link: TBA

Overview
Born out of my love for option football and the modern passing game from the pistol, I created the Pistol Option. This is a true triple option offense with additional concepts from Wing T and West Coast offenses. Major influences include Paul Johnson from Georgia Tech, Gus Malzahn from Auburn, Bill Walsh from the 49ers, and Paul Anthony Markowski from West Point's Army Sprint Football team.

Thirteen formations and series of plays keep things simple, so the offense can be ran at a no-huddle pace. The base formation is Pistol Slot with Pistol Trips and Pistol Wing Trips added to face different fronts. There is also a spread package with 10 personnel, using Pistol Spread and Pistol Trips 4 WR. The short-yardage/Wing T package uses Pistol Twin TE Slot, Pistol Wing Over, and Pistol Train.

The option portion of the offense uses the following concepts: motion triple option, dive/zone/stretch, lead option, and read option. The Wing T portion of the offense uses: dive/zone, power, counter, buck sweep, and playaction waggle. The West Coast concepts included in the playbook are: shallow/drive series, snag, smash, stick, slants, curls, flood, and verticals. The screen game includes bubble, middle, and slip screens.

Positions and Ideal Players
Offensive Line (T, G, C): Footwork and quick thinking for blocking; leadership from the Center
Quarterback (Q): Nimble, scrappy, and smart
Halfback (HB): Big bruiser
Slotback (H): Speed and good hands for receiving with decent ball carrying skills
Wide Receiver (X, Z): Size and soft hands
Tight End (Y, U): Blocking and route running
Fullback (B): Blocking and acceleration

Formations
Base Package (11 personnel):
  • Slot (Pistol Slot)
  • Trips (Pistol Trips)
  • Wing Trips (Pistol Wing Trips)
  • Bunch (Pistol Bunch)
Spread Package (10 personnel):
  • Spread (Pistol Spread Flex)
  • Spread Trips (Pistol Trips 4 WR)
  • Spread Bunch (Pistol Bunch 4 WR package)
Big Package (12/22 personnel):
  • Twins (Pistol Twin TE Slot)
  • Twins Over (Pistol Wing Over)
  • Heavy Weak
  • Heavy Weak Over (Pistol Train)

Plays
Option:
  • Motion triple option
  • Midline
  • Dive
  • Zone
  • Stretch
  • Lead option
  • Power option
  • Read option
Wing T:
  • Dive
  • Zone
  • Power
  • Counter
  • Buck sweep
  • Jet sweep
  • Playaction waggle
West Coast:
  • Shallow cross
  • Drive
  • Snag
  • Smash
  • Stick
  • Slants
  • Curls
  • Flood
  • Verticals
Screens:
  • Bubble screen
  • Middle screen
  • Slip screen

Run Rules
Two high safeties & even front:
  • Triple option
  • Dive
  • Zone
  • Stretch
  • Read option
  • Jet sweep
Two high safeties & odd front:
  • Midline
  • Read option
  • Power
  • Counter
  • Buck sweep
One high safety & even front:
  • Lead option
  • Power
  • Counter
  • Buck sweep
One high safety & odd front:
  • Lead option
  • Power
  • Counter
  • Buck sweep

Pass Rules
Two high safeties & press coverage:
  • Shallow cross
  • Drive
  • Slants
  • 3x1 Verticals
Two high safeties & loose coverage:
  • Drive
  • 3x1 Verticals
  • Middle screen
  • Slip screen
One high safety & press coverage:
  • Stick
  • Flood
  • 2x2 Verticals
  • Playaction waggle
One high safety & loose coverage:
  • Snag
  • Smash
  • Stick
  • Curls
  • Flood
  • 2x2 Verticals
  • Playaction waggle
  • Bubble screen

Formation Rules
Zone-based coverage:
  • 2x2 with motion to 3x1/3x2
  • 3x1 base package or spread package
  • Unbalanced big package
Man-based coverage:
  • 2x2
  • 3x1 with motion to 2x2
  • Unbalanced big package with motion to 1x2/2x2
3[sup]rd[/sup] & long:
  • Spread package
Short yardage:
  • Heavy package

Formation Tags
Trips: 3 WRs line up on same side and opposite of TE or solo WR
Wing: TE lines up 1 yard behind G/T and outside receiver lines up on line of scrimmage
Bunch: 3 WRs line up in bunch 3 yards outside T and opposite of TE or solo WR
Nasty: WRs line up in pairs 3 yards outside T or TE
Strong: FB lines up on TE or solo WR side
Weak: FB lines up on opposite side of TE or solo WR
Over: WRs line up on same side as TE to create unbalanced formation

Motion Tags
Jet: WR motions across formation in front of QB (Note: Jet sweep already has jet motion included)
Rocket: WR motions across formation behind HB (Note: Triple option already has rocket motion included)
Flip: WR/TE/FB motions to opposite side
Close: WR motions in to 3 yards from last man on line of scrimmage
Open: WR motions out to 3 yards from last receiver or sideline
Empty Solo: HB motions to slot next to solo WR
Empty Trips: HB motions to slot next to twins WRs (defaults to right twins if 2x2)

Route Tags
Call the receiver and the route based on the route tree below.
Note: The seam route is renamed to a fade. There isn't an option route or stick. There are flats and hitch routes not included in this. Full tree coming later.

cb401e7f06de4ead0e1e8bd8090c603b_original.png

Play Calls
Guide: Formation [Strong Side] [Formation Tag] [Motion Tag] Concept [Route Tag] Pass or Run on Snap Count
Example: Slot Right Wing Rocket Flood X Slant Pass on 1

Constraint Theory and Balanced Play Calling
The constraint theory is relatively simple:
Each play in the offense builds on top of each other similar to the game Rock, Paper, Scissors. The zone run sets up the triple option. The triple option sets up the pass. The pass sets up the zone run.

Different coaches use different concepts in what I call their "play stack" or "series". In this offense, we have an almost infinite number of play stacks and a handful of series. Primarily, you'll want to run the rocket series with the plays given to you by EA, but they didn't include a pass with rocket motion in the pistol. It's up to you to use your better judgement on adding concepts to the rocket series without actually having the ability to call rocket motion with the slot or "H" receiver. The jet series actually has a nice group of plays in Slot.

I've drawn this playbook up on my iPad using the Paper app (a great app that's well worth the money). In the offline book, I have rocket motion called on every play: from zone to power to mesh to verticals. Any play can call rocket because the slot can run a swing, quick hitch, or fade from the backfield just like a running back.

Each coach has a different definition of "balance". One coach will say it's 50/50 play calling. Another will say it's an even split of yardage. Even others will say it's simply calling enough run or pass plays to keep defenses honest. I'm in the final group. I will run the triple option into the ground. Then, I'll call verticals or the waggle pass and score a TD. Other times, I'll find a rhythm in the quick passing game, and then I'll call zone out of nowhere. It varies from week to week and drive to drive.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
What did Brian Kelly do at Cincy outside of 4 Verts? I know a lot of it was vertical passing, but were there particular concepts he ran outside of vertical stems?

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I have absolutely no idea, although I would be interested since I'm going to try to run something similar at UNC next year. That team is weird, all youth, no one graduates except the great TE. I won't have a FB or TE, I'll have great HBs and WRs. Spread and sling it around is probably the best plan of action, although both QBs are more runners than throwers.

Could always run flexbone with receivers at the slot backs but I think that would end up being more work than I want to do.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I have absolutely no idea, although I would be interested since I'm going to try to run something similar at UNC next year. That team is weird, all youth, no one graduates except the great TE. I won't have a FB or TE, I'll have great HBs and WRs. Spread and sling it around is probably the best plan of action, although both QBs are more runners than throwers.

Could always run flexbone with receivers at the slot backs but I think that would end up being more work than I want to do.

If you want to run option, check out the post above. I would honestly stick with your offense though because it's pretty nasty.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
If you want to run option, check out the post above. I would honestly stick with your offense though because it's pretty nasty.

My offense is filthy but I'm worried about the TE position. Had I taken over before this year, I would have been all set because the existing TE at UNC is a beast. But he graduates, as does my #3 TE leaving me with my #2 TE (69 OVR) and a true freshman offensive lineman who looks like he was an ATH that got put on the OL rather than at TE (70 OL/68 TE). The #2 TE is quick and a very good pass catcher, can't block. The OL obviously can block but is 70 speed. I'll probably move the OL to TE either way just to fill the position but without a competent TE, it's tough to run my offense.

What I do have is two fairly good all around QBs, good passers and runners. Two very good scatback type HBs. Four very good WR, 2 of them 6'4" monsters and 2 more slot guys. If I really wanted to, I could probably get away with putting either one of the big WRs at an H-Back type role or putting one of the two TE on the field and just suck it up but I don't want to take any of those 4 WR off the field.

Was thinking of taking the 2 back and 4/5 WR stuff from my offense and add 2-3 back Pistol and run option or just spread it and sling it.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
That's probably what I'll do. I feel like I should run the ball a bunch because of my QB and HBs but then I look at these receivers and feel like eh let's sling it around. I'll probably run something like Texas A&M's offense but a little bit of a QB run game added in there plus some option.

It's tough because I love tight ends and love what they do for an offense but TE is just barren at UNC.

Wooly

That's precisely what I'm talking about. A whole series of plays based off that one look. FB Trap, QB/IB Double Option, a QB Keep just ducking in behind the FB and then there was a pass off of the look as well. It all looks identical. That end would fall asleep assuming he was getting optioned off of and get smashed on a trap while the FB or the QB with the FB leading him through bust off a huge run.

Nebraska ran 32/38 Trap 35 times in 1996 and averaged 9.49 yards per carry on it. Absolutely devastating play in the scheme of the whole offense. Everything would be going outside on options and stretch plays and pitch plays and counter trap and counter sweep and then all of a sudden the FB gets the ball and is motoring 10 yards down the field before anyone knew what happened.

A nice trap play has never hurt anyone.

Traps are the best play in football, the best reason to watch the game IMO. And if you make it a counter trap with lead blocking ala Wiscy a few years back, MAN that is fun to watch. Tons of big bodies with precise timing, smashing defenders out of the way with better leverage, creating huge holes to run through. A good trap game is like an offensive symphony with everyone playing their intricate parts together perfectly.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Decided to take a change of pace last night and built another pro style book to use with Alabama. The running game from the I and Ace is :turrible:. Yeldon, one of the best backs in the game, was averaging 2.3 YPC. I swapped to the Gun in the 2nd half, and he racked up over 100 yards.

EA, what gives? How does it work in Madden but not NCAA?

Schauwn

I-Form in the game is a cluster. More times than should ever happen the FB goes "full retard" in the backfield and stops in the way of my RB or tries blocking someone coming from the edge instead of going in the gap he's supposed to.

Wooly

FB not blocking correctly is the single biggest problem in this game (at least for me) since it was first made for PS back in 199? whatever. After all these years you have thought someone would have fixed lead blocking to actually lead block. It's kind of important for running between the tackles you retards at EA. Of course EA are the ones laughing and saying retard, since people buy their crappy game even when they don't fix things.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I had a ton of success running my Osborne offense mostly out of I-Formations but I think it is because of the type of plays I run. I don't run a ton of "lead" plays. The worst thing you can do is run Power O from the I. You might as well just quick punt. Same goes for Iso. OZ/Stretch and IZ/Blast work well as does Counter because the FB gets locked into blocking that end rather than being forced to seek someone out. It also helps that I run a lot of option.

Running a legit under center, pro style run game ala Alabama is probably next to impossible. At least with two backs. If you want to run a one back pro style, you probably could. I've never really experimented to see if the Ace automotion plays with the H-Back/TE motioning into the backfield are any better or worse than regular two back sets.

There was a time in NCAA that I ran a pro-style offense because it was just so unique that people really didn't know how to defend it. The same reason I was running my spread option before anyone else was. It was unique and people couldn't defend it. Unfortunately now, a typical pro style is unique but impossible to run because of programming and everyone runs a version of spread but it is still next to impossible to defend because of programming. Tough when the game's programming hamstrings what people can do.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I had a ton of success running my Osborne offense mostly out of I-Formations but I think it is because of the type of plays I run. I don't run a ton of "lead" plays. The worst thing you can do is run Power O from the I. You might as well just quick punt. Same goes for Iso. OZ/Stretch and IZ/Blast work well as does Counter because the FB gets locked into blocking that end rather than being forced to seek someone out. It also helps that I run a lot of option.

Running a legit under center, pro style run game ala Alabama is probably next to impossible. At least with two backs. If you want to run a one back pro style, you probably could. I've never really experimented to see if the Ace automotion plays with the H-Back/TE motioning into the backfield are any better or worse than regular two back sets.

There was a time in NCAA that I ran a pro-style offense because it was just so unique that people really didn't know how to defend it. The same reason I was running my spread option before anyone else was. It was unique and people couldn't defend it. Unfortunately now, a typical pro style is unique but impossible to run because of programming and everyone runs a version of spread but it is still next to impossible to defend because of programming. Tough when the game's programming hamstrings what people can do.

Erhardt-Perkins works pretty well. Ace Big is one of the best formations in the game. There isn't much time in the pocket though if you have the game speed turned up.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I'm still on the fence with what I want to do at UNC. Everything I've ever done on offense involves a TE from my Spread-I to my Osborne offense so trying to come up with something that doesn't involve a TE is a bit weird. Even when I'm not throwing to him, I love that extra blocker. It would be silly to bench a very good 2nd HB/4th WR for a garbage TE just to have him block though so I'll have to figure something out.

I pretty much only have two options. The first is a full on spread triple with offset gun and pistol. Basically my Spread-I with all the H-Back stuff removed. Not really sure I want to be only zone though and Pistol/Offset Gun without a TE means I'd be 100% zone. The second is a more balanced spread using only traditional gun. Again, no TE but would have a few more traditional run plays in addition to option and obviously a more developed pass game.

Leaning towards option number two. The idea of doing a full on spread triple option offense is good in theory but then I get in user v user play and face aggressive option defense and get one dimensional real quick. I suppose in theory I could put in a few special packages with like 7 OL on the field and run QB Power to pound the rock a bit.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I'm still on the fence with what I want to do at UNC. Everything I've ever done on offense involves a TE from my Spread-I to my Osborne offense so trying to come up with something that doesn't involve a TE is a bit weird. Even when I'm not throwing to him, I love that extra blocker. It would be silly to bench a very good 2nd HB/4th WR for a garbage TE just to have him block though so I'll have to figure something out.

I pretty much only have two options. The first is a full on spread triple with offset gun and pistol. Basically my Spread-I with all the H-Back stuff removed. Not really sure I want to be only zone though and Pistol/Offset Gun without a TE means I'd be 100% zone. The second is a more balanced spread using only traditional gun. Again, no TE but would have a few more traditional run plays in addition to option and obviously a more developed pass game.

Leaning towards option number two. The idea of doing a full on spread triple option offense is good in theory but then I get in user v user play and face aggressive option defense and get one dimensional real quick. I suppose in theory I could put in a few special packages with like 7 OL on the field and run QB Power to pound the rock a bit.

What about an empty offense with jet sweep and QB runs? Pass, pass, pass.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Yeah, a TAMU, Mizzou, or Brian Kelly Cincy type playbook sounds best for your personnel.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
What about an empty offense with jet sweep and QB runs? Pass, pass, pass.

I think either way I would go empty a lot. I've got great personnel for that and want to sling it around and run Jet and Blast a bunch. What I'll probably end up with is like 10 formations, mostly based around Split Slot, Spread, Trips, Trips Wk (or the Offset versions of each) and a few Empty formations. A heavy dose of passing but with a decent QB run game and option sprinkled in. Use formations to cause havoc with overhang players and throw a ton of screens.

In my Spread-I, I have a good series of audibles where I put a HB in the slot. If no one covers him, I just throw bubble screen to him. If someone covers him, I will audible from 4WR Trio to Split Offset to sort of simulate orbit motion into the backfield and then run option to either him or the other guy. That would be an interesting concept to base an offense out of. I would love to have a ton of misdirection with Jet and shifts and motion.

Last edited:

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Georgia Southern's offense :love:
Updated the offense to pistol diamond/flex slot with some Malzahn spread and 4 wides.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
In a previous version of my offense, I had a really great series of plays/audibles where I would line up in Pistol Weak Slot (FB Package) and either throw PA Bubble or audible to Pistol Full House Off Tackle/Read/Read Wk. It was sort of a do-it-yourself Jet Sweep and a good way to take advantage of a great athlete at slot receiver because you could throw it to him in space or hand it to him with some friends out in front. I got away from it in my Spread-I because in order for it to be viable, you need to blow at least 2, sometimes 3 audibles on that series of plays and I needed the audibles.

-----------X----------------------OOOOO----------------------Z-----------
---------------------------------------------------Y-----------------------
-----------------------------------F-Q-------------------------------------
-------------------------------------H-------------------------------------

Call Pistol Weak Slot Lead Read Option in the huddle. If no one lined up right over the Y, I would just check to PA Bubble and fire it out there. If I got a two high man look, I would just run the Lead Read as called. If a defender dropped down into the alley between the RT and Slot WR, I jumped into the Full House audible series. Occasionally users would start trying to time the snap and hard rush the left side. When that happened, I would audible him into the backfield and just hard count.

It takes up a lot of audibles to have a complete package for it, but damn it is filthy. Honestly, I would run a full Pistol offense if Pistol was just a little bit more developed. Maybe a few more motion/slot options, some working Jet and a few more "traditional" runs. Have to augment it with the Gun if you want it to work in game.