• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Spread-I Offense 2.0

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
SPREAD-I OFFENSE 2.0

PoundTheRock4_zps998e35e9.jpg

Reintroduction

Like last year, the purpose of this write-up is two-fold. First, it is a study of a real life offensive scheme. Not enough attention is given to the historical background of how a lot of these offenses came to be and what makes them tick, so I like using this space to examine that. Last year, it was the mid-90s era Nebraska offense under Tom Osborne. This year, I will be examining offense through the lens of Gus Malzahn's hurry-up, no-huddle system. Second, this write-up is a way to apply those real life components into video game football. Most of the joy I get from NCAA Football is the challenge of trying to apply real life concepts into a very poorly designed video game. I take pride in creating an offense that a real life team could competently install and practice within the constraints of college football time limits.

My offenses traditionally attempt to tie together the spread-to-run offenses of Chip Kelly, Urban Meyer and Gus Malzahn with the punishing power run offense of the Tom Osborne era Nebraska teams. It doesn't look like it on the surface, but my offense has far more in common with those Nebraska teams than it does with the stereotypical "spread" offenses of modern football. This year's offense will be more of the same, blending the old school bruising power run game into spread gun formations to utilize my quarterback as a primary runner.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Background

Last year, this section consisted mostly of historical information about the 1995/1996 Nebraska offense. It was a large post and I won't copy and paste all that information here. It contains some good background stuff though so I would highly recommend people give it another read. The post is here (for as long as the other Utopia Archive is up). This year, I will be focusing on Gus Malzahn's offenses at Tulsa and Auburn. I may draw a few comparisons between Malzahn's offense and Osborne's, but for the most part, I'll be focusing entirely on Gus Malzahn.

Malzahn's offense doesn't need a lot of statistical or historical introduction, his background has been well covered on sports media and his successes are very recent. Anyone who watched college football this season saw just how successful it is. Rather than focus on stats and history, this write-up is going to cover the basic concepts of Malzahn's offense from terminology to tempo to formations to individual plays and installation. In fact, quite a bit of the terminology I will use in this write-up is taken straight from Malzahn's offense. All of this information has been compiled from a number of resources including Malzahn's book, The Hurry-Up, No-Huddle: An Offensive Philosophy and the actual installation material for all eight days of Malzahn's offensive installation.

Over the course of this write-up, I will attempt to explain how I applied some of Malzahn's basic concepts into my own offense as well as how the Spread-I has transitioned from '13 to '14. The historical and background information from last year is vital to understanding my philosophy, but the offense itself is much more refined.

My offense for NCAA 13 was very limited, the final playbook was 16 formations and 198 plays. While I appreciated the simplicity, I was limited by the plays and formations available. I want to be far more diverse than that, I always have, but until NCAA 14 it wasn't possible. NCAA 14 is far from perfect, hell, it is far from good... but the new additions in formations and concepts has helped strengthen some of the weaknesses of my original offense.

Before I start examining Malzahn's offense and explaining my own, it is important that I note one thing. At this time, I do not have a set playbook. I'm still playing around with drafts, mostly because the playbook is just plain huge that it takes some tweaking to get everything to fit. I have to be a lot more strict in what gets put in and what doesn't. Once a final playbook is in place, I will post it, but the key pieces are the basic philosophy, concepts, formations and personnel involved.

Last edited:

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Basic Philosophy
  1. MULTIPLE FORMATIONS AND MOTION
  2. STRONG RUNNING GAME
    a. Power football
    b. Option football
  3. PHYSICAL FOOTBALL
    a. Everyone blocks; recruit receivers, backs and ends who block
    b. Everyone runs to contact; recruit runners who can take hits
  4. EMPHASIZE EXECUTION
    a. Minimize turnovers
    b. Minimize mistakes
  5. EFFICIENT PASSING GAME
    a. Complete 65% of passes
    b. No interceptions
    c. Don’t take sacks
    d. Utilize play action passing
  6. CONTROL THE FOOTBALL
    a. Dictate tempo
    b. Dominate time of possession
    c. Don’t turn it over
Nothing about this offense is innovative or new, just my own little spin on already established offenses. Like the older Nebraska teams, this is not a balanced offense. It is two back power run football. Nebraska averaged a fairly consistent 75-25 run-pass ratio in the mid-90s, I'm consistently sitting between 65 and 70% running the ball this year. That is a product of far more shots down the field this year as opposed to last year.

The biggest change in this offense is that it has become more series based, very much like Malzahn's offense. A base play with a counter off of it, a counter off of the counter and so on. A lot of motion, a lot of misdirection and a lot of up-tempo. Despite the window dressing, this is still an I-Formation, two back power run offense with option and play action to hit home runs.

The weakness of the NCAA 13 version of this offense was the inability to take the top off the defense. I faced a lot of loaded boxes, user defenders shooting gaps in manual run support and constant press coverage. Part of my in ability to attack vertically was the prevalence of route mirroring but frankly, I was too worried about making a mistake through the air. I'm not as proficient of a passer as others and I felt like I was better off playing ball control and letting the other team make the mistakes. I have a better grasp of what I'm seeing pre-snap this year which is giving me more confidence to attack vertically when the opportunity presents itself.

This offense has become a very aggressive, up-tempo attacking system. Nothing complicated, very basic run and pass concepts that all build on each other into a series of plays.

Last edited:

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Personnel and Recruiting

The personnel listing below is more of a recruiting and organizational guide, detailing the ideal personnel and how to arrange them on the depth chart to get the most out of them. This offense makes extensive use out of hybrid players so it can be adapted to just about any set of personnel; however, this is what the ideal situation would look like.

I am using different terminology for the offense this year, each position will have both a name and number assigned to it. The number system is identical to that of Gus Malzahn's offense, I will use names and numbers interchangeably. When I get to the formation section, I'll be utilizing slides straight from Malzahn's install material that uses the numbering system so I want to establish that system now.

Quarterback (1) – This position is probably the biggest change from NCAA 13 to NCAA 14. The QB was more of a point guard in my '13 offense, distributing the ball to the backs and making very easy throws. The '14 version of this offense is very reliant on the quarterback. He must be able to carry a significant burden, both running the ball and throwing it down the field.

The key ratings for a quarterback are a solid carry rating and arm strength. He is going to take a lot of hits so he has to be able to lock up the rock. I've found that THP is the key to a successful passer in NCAA, especially with the Accuracy slider at 5 like most ODs have it. That sounds backwards but that's EA for you. True QBs and Athlete QBs work equally well, but without a strong throwing arm, you will be at a disadvantage. The QB doesn't have to be fast, but it helps tremendously if he is. 78 SPD is about as low as I'll go when recruiting a quarterback, that isn't to say a slower pocket passer wouldn't work, but much slower than 78 SPD and you're losing the numbers advantage you gain from running a spread gun offense.

I-Back (4) – Must be a good all around runner, you can adjust the play calling to your back's strength but he must be a good all around ball carrier. If you have power backs, you'll run more Inside Zone, Traps and Power. If you have speed backs, you'll be able to run more Buck Sweep, Counter Sweep and Jet Sweep. The best situation you can have is a thunder and lighting pairing with one power back and a speed back.

You need depth here, a significant amount of your yearly scouting and recruiting needs to be spent on backs and you should expect to have a rotation of 2 or 3 that will see consistent playing time. Don't discount Athletes for this position, some of my best I-Backs in NCAA 14 have been recruited as Athletes. You will need one I-Back per recruiting class.

On your depth chart, your top 3 I-Backs will be listed at HB1, HB2 and FB1. That will allow you to use in-formation packages to get one of the three main backs on the field (HB Sub/Spell and Fullback). There is no "Pivotback" in the offense this year, the Pivotback's roles have been reassigned to the I-Back and Flanker.

Fullback (3) – The Fullback is the key position in the offense. It puts the I in the Spread-I. The Fullback position will be filled from the Tight End section of the depth chart and align everywhere from the backfield, to a wing position, to a traditional inline TE spot to flexed out into the slot. The Fullback must be able to block otherwise he is pointless. His role is to regain a numbers advantage in the box, as long as he can block, he'll have a place on the field. 70 RBK and 70 IBL will get the job done, much less than that and you'll see quite a bit of run through off the edge when you run sweeps. I've had a couple devastating blockers at Fullback with RBK and IBL ratings in the mid to upper 80s and they have routinely led my team in pancake blocks.

Similar to the I-Back position, I really like a thunder (blocker) and lightning (receiver) pairing at Fullback in this offense. In that situation, the receiver belongs at TE1 and the blocker belongs at TE2. Even when you have a true Fullback on your roster, that player should be listed at Tight End. Very few of the formations in the game this year have a FB Wing/TE package. By organizing all the Fullbacks on the TE depth chart, you can use a variety of in-formation packages to get both players on the field in different roles.

Tight End/Y Receiver (5) – The Tight End is a hybrid player, part slot receiver, part fullback and part traditional tight end. Who fills the position will depend on what you have on the team. The majority of the time, this position will be a larger possession wide receiver with decent run block/impact block ratings. In a thunder/lighting Fullback situation like mentioned above, the receiving Fullback would play the 5 and the blocking Fullback would play the 3 but this is rare. Despite the tight end name, this player is a true receiver and will spend 99% of his snaps split in the slot.

The key attributes here are size and run/impact block. There are a number of athletes generated in ODs each season who are around 6'4" ~230lbs who are primarily wide receivers with blocking ratings in the 60s and good catch ratings. These guys are absolutely perfect for the system. Those athletes tend to fly under the radar due to their slower speeds but for this role, they are a perfect fit. Same goes for true tight ends who might have low 80s speed and great pass catching skills but a low overall rating because of mediocre block ratings. Again, those guys fly under the radar but in position changes, tend to get an overall ratings boost so keep an eye out for these guys.

The better blocker this player is, the more you can get cute with personnel groupings and use him as a traditional inline tight end or even a fullback. This guy will generally be WR3 on your depth chart and align in the slot. In Malzahn's offense, the 5 moves down to a traditional tight end in his Ace, Deuce, Trey and Trio formations while the 3 splits into the slot. I don't find myself doing that often, but it provides another option if you have a talented enough player.

Flanker/Z Receiver (2) – The Flanker is another hybrid player, part receiver and part runner. He takes over much of the responsibilities of the Pivotback from last year. He is the guy that is going to go in motion on most plays, accept Jet handoffs, serve as the primary screen receiver, etc. He must be fast enough to be a run threat on Jet Sweep and agile enough to get upfield and make people miss on screens. There is an abundance of this type of player generated each year in recruiting, both at the WR position and as Athletes. Obviously the better the receiver the more you can do with the guy, but this player's primary responsibility is motioning to block, running the ball and catching screens so an elite catch rating isn't necessary. I've made players with a 60 catch rating work just fine here. Ideally, this player will also have decent run block ratings because he will be used to motion and crack block but blocking ability should not supersede athleticism.

Generally, this player is going to align to the passing strength of the offense. He'll align outside of the tight end (5) side of Twins formations and to the outside of Trips in 3x1 formations. This player will usually be listed at WR2 and moved around via various packages like WR Flip and X/Z/Strong Slots to get him the ball via screens and motion.

Split End/X Receiver (9) – This is the best pure receiver of the offense. He is your home run hitter. He doesn't have to be a burner, but he must have a high release rating and must be a possession receiver. This guy will align as the solo side receiver in most formations so he must be able to break the press and get down the field. He is the best all around pass catcher and primary vertical threat in the offense. The bigger and faster the Split End, the better off you'll be but as long as he has high release and catch ratings, he'll do just fine. Place him at WR1 on the depth chart.

When it comes to the 2, 5 and 9 positions, I generally try to have 2 players for each spot and then mix and match. Unfortunately because of the way the depth chart works in game, there will be times when you have a guy out of position due to injury or fatigue of the player ahead of him. If you're vigilant about it, it shouldn't cause too much trouble. Your WR Depth Chart will not always be in order of overall rating, order them based on position in the offense.

Offensive Line – Run blockers with high impact blocking are important here. You do not need instant contributors on the OL. I like to recruit anywhere from 2-4 low to mid 70's overall linemen with relatively even blocking ratings across the board. I don't want a guy with one blocking rating way above the other because he won't progress evenly. Look for players with a solid ~70 across the board, after 2-3 seasons in the system, they'll develop into very good OL. For guards, keep an eye on acceleration. There is a lot of pulling and double teaming in this offense so you need that guy to be able to get out in front.

Unfortunately, NCAA 14 seems to have increased the awareness hit offensive linemen take when they are played out of position or moved to a different position in the off-season. You used to be able to play an OL everywhere and not see much drop off, this year, you will see a drop off if you play a center at guard or tackle or vice versa. If at all possible, try to maintain 2-3 deep at all 5 positions, especially at left and right guard who will generally fatigue quicker than most of your other OL. Once you establish depth, you have a lot more freedom to use formation subs to rotate in different OL and keep everyone fresh for the full game.

Last edited:

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Formations

One of the best things about Malzahn's system is the economy of language when communicating formations and plays. Plays and formations are described using single code words (or numbers). A simple Malzahn play call would be Stack Right Indy. Stack Right is the formation and Indy is the play, a simple inside zone. Additional information like motion or protection is also communicated using just a single code word. I will not get into any of the non-verbal communications. The hand signals and board system Malzahn uses is fascinating, but not applicable here. That said, if anyone has any interest in how the non-verbal communication system works, just ask and I can shed some light on it.

Malzahn's formation system is unique in that he does not waste extra verbiage to adjust the alignments of backs and receivers. Rather than tag a formation with words like "tight", "close" or "flex" to adjust the alignment of a receiver, Malzahn builds all of that information into the play itself. Every play in Malzahn's offense has specific coaching points for things like QB depth, HB depth, WR depth and splits as well as detailing when certain players should swap positions. On a run play like Buck Sweep (Saint), the 5 (Y) knows to align 5 yards from the tackle. On a pass play like Slants, the 5 (Y) knows to align 1 yard inside the hash. Same formation, different play, different alignment without any extra verbiage required. It is all about efficiency.

There are roughly 20 base formations; however, all 20 can be flipped left and right and with the built in adjustments, the amount of possible formations is limitless. In this section, I am going to use only Malzahn's terminology for formations. It is simple and to the point, especially with the included visuals. When I get to the playbook section, I will use both Malzahn's names for formations as well as EA's to help keep things straight.

Malzahn Offensive Formations
  • Twins
  • Slant/Slant Opp
  • Stack/Stack Opp
  • Spread
  • Trips
  • Doubles
  • Triple
  • Ace
  • Deuce
  • Trey
  • Trio
  • Open
  • Empty
  • Quads
  • Strong
  • Wildcat
In addition to the base formations, there are a handful of "special" formations. There are two under center formations (Pro I and Trips Bunch) and two "trick" formations, (Fight Song and Woody). Malzahn usually goes into a game with a handful of trick plays at his disposal. Since those formations are only used for one or two specific trick plays, I won't spend a lot of time on them. I might mention these in passing later on, but they aren't part of the base offense so I left them out in this post. This is not an all-encompassing list. Every year Malzahn seems to have a handful of unique unbalanced formations similar to Strong to take advantage of the skills of a certain player, this list is simply the base formations.

FormationGraphic1_zps54aa2b70.png
FormationGraphic2_zps50a897e2.png
FormationGraphic3_zps3e608713.png
FormationGraphic4_zpsac5fbfc9.png
FormationGraphic5_zps1f6f9d50.png
FormationGraphic6_zps5ee981bd.png
FormationGraphic7_zpsd8d4395c.png
FormationGraphic8_zps8fe8fa3b.png
FormationGraphic9_zps0d8dc911.png
FormationGraphic10_zps10838d27.png

These graphics did not come directly from the Malzahn installation slides. I could not format the slides to fit the post so I used a version I found elsewhere. The differences are only superficial, the formations are identical. As noted, these are the RIGHT versions of each formation. When formations are flipped to the LEFT, the personnel switch as well. Unlike some offenses that keep receivers on one side of the field to limit the number of routes they need to learn, Malzahn will flip the personnel with the formation. When Spread RT becomes Spread LT, the 9 and 3 swap to the right and the 5 and 2 swap to the left.

Unfortunately, flipping the personnel does not come easily in NCAA, in-formation packages only get you so far. Generally speaking, I will not flip formations. It keeps things simple, especially when it comes to audibles which I use extensively. The only formations I tend to flip are Spread, Trips and Empty formations. Don't be afraid to line up with Trips or even Quads to the boundary, it can cause fits for the defense.

My playbook may have some additional formations, but the core formations are identical to the list above.

Last edited:

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Plays and Concepts
(Part 1)

The concepts section will be a little different from last year. I'm going to break everything into 2 posts and 6 sections; Runs, Play Action and Sprint Out Passes in the first section, Drop Back Passes, Screen Passes and Specials in the second section.

All of these concepts are straight out of Gus Malzahn's installation material. However, I am not going to include runs or pass concepts that don't exist in NCAA 14. Trick plays are such a regular part of Malzahn's offense that they aren't even really "tricks"; unfortunately, EA has never put much effort into including things like reverses and HB passes so I won't include any of that information here. The "trick" plays that do exist in the game will be added at the bottom.

Like I mentioned before, Malzahn's offense is entirely code word based. Every formation, motion and play has a single code word to describe it. It is all about efficiency and maintaining the hurry-up tempo. To avoid confusion, I am going to list plays by the base concept itself, separate additional variations with a slash and then add Malzahn's terminology in parentheses. I'll add visuals when applicable.

======================================================​

Runs

Despite being a power run offense, Malzahn only uses five base run schemes. Inside Zone, Outside Zone, Power/Counter, Buck and Trap; each with different variations off of it. Jet and Speed Option both use Outside Zone blocking and Draw uses pass blocking rules. The fewer blocking schemes your OL has to learn, the more practice time you can dedicate to perfecting them.
  • Inside Zone Give/IZ Read/IZ Split/IZ Pitch (Indy/Indy Read/Indy Back/Indy Dash)
  • Power O/Power Option/QB Power/Shovel (Patriot/Patriot "O"/Pink Patriot/Patriot "3")
  • Counter/Counter Trey (Cowboy/Apache)
  • Buck Sweep (Saint)
  • Outside Zone (Omaha)
  • Trap/Wrap (Titan)
  • Jet Sweep (OZ) (Steeler)
  • Speed Option (OZ) (Bear)
  • Draw/QB Draw (Dolphin/Pink Dolphin)
There are a couple runs I did not include because they don't exist in NCAA 14. One is a Malzahn staple, the Sprint Draw (Ram) and the other is a Lead Draw (Bronco). Additionally, Malzahn can tag a Reverse to any of the above runs by adding "Special" to the end of the call (Saint Special is a Reverse off of Buck Sweep). If anyone would like visuals for these run plays, I can post them but most are fairly common.

Play Action Passes

Every Malzahn run play has at least one complimentary play action pass off of it. It is series football, every play builds off the play before it. Each play action pass has a code word which corresponds to the run action it is based on. Play action off of Indy is called Pacer or Hoosier, play action off of Patriot is called Soldier or Celtic, play action off of Cowboy is called Bandit, etc.

Unfortunately for NCAA purposes, EA never gave us play action with pulling linemen to mimic Power or Counter. Because of that, the only applicable play action passes in Malzahn's offense are the Indy series and Steeler (Jet) series. Luckily, you can use hot routes to create most PA concepts Malzahn uses.
  • Pacer/Pacer Back (Flat-Comeback concept off of Indy/Indy Back)
  • Hoosier/Hoosier Back (Flood concept off of Indy/Indy Back)
  • Pirate (Same concept as Pacer but off of Steeler/Jet)
  • Xerox (Three man Flat/Vert/Hitch concept off of Indy)
  • Soldier "3" (Pop pass to the FB)
Pacer
7c16cacb-68fb-46a9-bd58-d97468a29c13_zpsbc5ff553.png

Pacer Back
1eed8081-e08e-4c03-9df4-41fb4d40e9a6_zpsee3b53c4.png

Hoosier
41b4e8d9-1a87-4f14-ae99-ea93dd564cda_zpsa68f7fbe.png

Hoosier Back
85e80124-f9f0-45c6-9c68-250f424b7d43_zpsd43c6f77.png

Pirate
a0672ae7-4bd5-4274-bbe6-2d9a405e9ef1_zps88955947.png

Xerox
7c3d8637-11be-4a52-8e39-c798dae05c4d_zps9cbc4712.png

Soldier "3"
7b667fd7-34fd-4da1-a80a-7fd923ae2e24_zps9e3b155b.png

Those play action pass concepts should look familiar to anyone who has played NCAA over the years. They are identical to the typical PA F Slide/PA Read/PA Jet plays found in just about every Shotgun formation in the game. Xerox is a three man triangle concept off of inside zone attacking the flat defender. Although it doesn't exist in the game with a bubble as illustrated, it is easily recreated with a Pivot/Vertical/Comeback, Flat/Vertical/Curl or FB Swing/Vertical/Curl combination. The base PA Read play in most 3x1 Gun formations already has a version of this.

I included Soldier "3" on this list because it is an easily created concept off of Inside Zone or PA Jet Inverted Veer in game. It is a quick Pop pass to the FB out of the backfield. Unfortunately, the remainder of the PA pass concepts do not exist in the game or have routes that cannot be recreated using hot routes so they are not included. The majority of my play action passing game uses the above concepts.

In addition to the basic play action concepts, Malzahn often ties a quick play fake to a back or motion man on many of his drop back pass concepts. It is just a flash fake to hold the safeties for a beat, the QB keeps his eyes down field taking a three step gather rather than hard selling run.

Sprint Out Passes

Sprint Outs are commonly used short yardage and red zone plays for Gus Malzahn. Not only do sprint outs negate the typical interior blitzes an offense routinely faces in those situations but they set up one of Malzahn's favorite run plays, the Sprint Draw (Ram), which is unfortunately not in the game.
  • 81 Rip/Liz
  • 83 Rip/Liz
  • 85 Rip/Liz
  • 89 Rip/Liz
81 Rip
Sprint81Rip_zpscea6ac8f.png

83 Rip
Sprint83Rip_zps1784037d.png

85 Rip
Sprint85Rip_zpsd9ee270f.png

89 Rip
Sprint89Rip_zpsf617e0d5.png

The diagrams are for sprint right (Rip) but each of them can be flipped left (Liz). Malzahn will will run sprint towards and away from the QB's throwing arm but I wouldn't recommend it in NCAA. The play is looking to isolate and attack a single defender. The QB needs to throw or run by the fifth step.

The only designed Sprint Out plays in NCAA 14 are Sprintout Smash (81 Rip) and Z Spot (85 Rip), luckily that is more than enough as the other two sprint out plays can be easily created via hot routes. Sprint Outs are available in any 3x1 formation including Stack, Trips, Trey and Triple. You could theoretically turn any traditional drop back play into a sprint, but I would not recommend it because that end will come up field unblocked (plus it is borderline lobby ball).

Last edited:

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Plays and Concepts
(Part 2)

Drop Back Passes

Gus Malzahn's drop back passing game has been criticized for its simplicity in the past. I certainly would not see that as a negative, Malzahn comes from a pass-heavy background and his current day run heavy offense does not require a complex "pro style" passing attack. Malzahn runs the same passing concepts as any other offense, but he uses tempo and built-in sight adjustments to simplify the read and communication to take the burden off the quarterback. In Malzahn's own words:

"Even though we technically have 33 pass plays total,we only use eight base combination routes that can run to either side of the field on a regular basis. We want to be able to execute these eight plays to perfection regardless of the defensive coverage on the field."

Malzahn uses tempo to simplify the coverages his offense will face on a play to play basis. By getting to the line of scrimmage quickly, you force the defense to show their coverage pre-snap allowing the offense to easily recognize the coverage and check to a concept that is effective against it. The ultimate goal is to perfect the base combination routes and give the quarterback a single defender to read. That sounds overly simple, but Malzahn believes that the no huddle offense allows him to get the perfect play call in for every coverage, eliminating the need for complex reads and route combinations.

Base Pass Concepts
  • All Hitch
  • Slant/Curl Flat
  • Mesh (Crossers)
  • Pivots
  • Shallow/Drive
  • Smash
  • Wheels
  • Four Verticals
Each of the base drop back pass concepts has a built-in sight adjustment to counter any coverages the offense will encounter. That means these base pass plays can be safely called against any coverage. I will discuss the sight adjustments later in the Putting It All Together section. By default, the above pass concepts are mirrored on both sides of the field; however, Malzahn does run split field concepts with a concept to one side and a different concept to the other.

In addition to a standard 3 or 5 step drop, each of the above concepts can be tied to a play action. Thanks to a fairly robust hot route system in NCAA 14, most of the above pass concepts can be created using PA Read as a base in game. All of Malzahn's pass concepts can be called via both code word/number as well as a sign board using a standard route tree. I'll assume the pass concepts are self-explanatory so I won't include any additional visual aids. If anyone needs a visual, let me know and I will provide it.

Screen Passes

Screens are the third and final aspect of the Gus Malzahn passing game and perhaps the most often used. Screens are vital to any offense but especially a run heavy offense such as this. Malzahn uses packaged plays for the majority of his screens, either pairing a screen with a run play or pairing two screens together. Unfortunately, there are no packaged plays in NCAA 14 so all of the screens will have to be called plays.
  • Arc (Bubble Screen)
  • Iowa (Slip Screen)
  • Laser (Mid Screen)
  • Ohio (Double Screen)
  • Orange (SE Screen)
  • Money 4 (Swing Screen)
Arc
ScreenArc_zps8bb367ae.png

Iowa
ScreenIowa_zpsa737ab9b.png

Laser
ScreenLaser_zpsb120ff69.png

Ohio
ScreenOhio_zps3a63a301.png

Orange
ScreenOrange_zpsc4d99478.png

Money 4
ScreenMoney4_zpsb7b5e786.png

All 6 of these screens are in NCAA 14 and all 6 work well, although some require a little customization to get the most out of them. I will discuss that in the Putting It All Together section. Like Malzahn, a significant amount of my passing game is screens to take advantage of the aggressive run defenses an offense like this faces.

======================================================

Specials

Like I mentioned before, Gus Malzahn uses trick plays in his offense so much that they really aren't even tricks but rather base plays. Malzahn typically goes into a game with a handful of special plays, formations or fire alarms (quick huddle and snap) at his disposal. Some trick plays are installed in the fall and carried all season, others are installed for a specific opponent.

Since EA doesn't have any significant trick plays installed, I'm going to show the specials that could theoretically be created in game with a little bit of effort.
  • Rosie
  • Rosie Go
  • Money 1
  • Money 6
  • Army Throwback
  • Fight Song
  • Woody
Rosie
SprintRosie_zpscbd343d6.png

Rosie Go
SprintRosieGo_zps39c4d43e.png

Money 1
Money1_zps687e440b.png

Money 6
SprintMoney6_zpsa8a74683.png

Army Throwback
BlackArmyThrowback_zps8e4484c4.png

Fight Song
FightSong_zpsb3482298.png

Woody
Woody_zps68dfb314.png

Rosie is the code word for the freeze play, with the ball snapped only if the defense jumps. The offense lines up to get the defense to jump offsides. On Rosie, the OL freezes in place the duration of the play. On Rosie Go, the OL freezes a full second before everyone releases for a screen pass. My version of Rosie Go in game is the "Cross Screen" in F Twins Over. I'll give a half roll away from the screen and throw it back. You don't get the freeze action, but the effect is about the same.

Money 1 is a Fire Alarm play, using a quick huddle/snap to run toss crack. Money 6 is another Fire Alarm play, using a quick huddle/snap to run a sprint out, looking to the FB in the flat first and then a throwback screen to the tight end. Although that exact play does not exist, I will often pair a Slip Screen one way with a quick FB flat the other way in a similar manner.

Army Throwback is a special play off of the Patriot series. The QB executes a half roll, throwing hot to the slot receiver if necessary or waiting and looking back for the Wheel route. It is listed as a special play in the installation material, but frankly this is just the typical wheel concept with a half roll included and a play I use often.

Fight Song is familiar to everyone since it is actually in NCAA. Just like the NCAA version, it is a trick Empty formation with the tight end and left tackle swapping places, making the TE an eligible receiver. I'll usually run Fight Song as a Fire Alarm play off of up-tempo once a game, usually on a first down just across the 50 or just into the red zone.

Woody is not a play that can be created in NCAA, but I wanted to show it since it is awesome. Some people will this play "Hide The Midget" because that is pretty much what you're doing. A tiny quick guy sneaks in and hides behind the big offensive line and while the speed sweep motion takes the defense one way, the little guy takes the ball and runs the other way.

Last edited:

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Tempo

In last year's write up, I put tempo in the Putting It All Together section because frankly, it wasn't that important. As much as I talked about wanting to vary tempo, I was fairly slow and deliberate last year. Part of that was a lack of confidence in my abilities on the defensive side of the ball and my unwillingness to make mistakes through the air. I wanted to control the football, own time of possession and hopefully keep the opposing offense off the field. This year, I use up-tempo often and felt it needed its own section.

Gus Malzahn literally wrote the book on the hurry-up, no-huddle offensive attack. He wasn't the first to do it, but he was really the first to perfect it as a total system. When Malzahn first started running his shotgun hurry-up, no-huddle attack in high school, it was a rarity. Other teams at every level ran tempo, other teams at every level were exclusively from the gun but it was exotic and rare. These days, you can't go 5 minutes on a college football Saturday without seeing a team running some form of the hurry-up, no-huddle offense. It has even found its way (back) to the NFL level. NFL teams like the Bengals and Bills were running no huddle decades before it became a sensation.

The benefits of the hurry-up, no-huddle offense are limitless. So much so that some misguided coaches at the FBS level are looking to slow it down with rule changes. First, it allows the offense to be the aggressor. The lone advantage the offense has in football is the snap of the ball, nothing can happen until they snap the football. Malzahn sought to keep pressure on defenses with a fast paced two minute offense for all sixty minutes of the game. Malzahn lists three specific game-related goals for his up-tempo offense:

Game-Related Goals
  • Speed up the game
  • Lengthen the game
  • Mentally and physically wear down your opponent
Each of the goals complement the other. Malzahn equates his offense to a constant fast-break in basketball. Consistently pressuring the defense with aggression. Malzahn also recognized that a typical 48 minute high school football game really only had 7-8 minutes of actual game play. The goal is to lengthen the actual playing time of the game. By adding more possessions, you're encouraged to take more chances. This is why you'll see Gus Malzahn led teams attempt surprise onside kicks, attempt multiple 4th downs even in their own territory and play aggressive defense. The more possessions your offense has to get points on the board, the more risks you can take. Very few defenses are able to maintain the conditioning to hang with a HUNH team for four quarters, even the great Alabama defenses started to come unglued after four quarters of the relentless Auburn Tiger D.

In his book, Gus Malzahn lists 12 specific advantages of the hurry-up, no-huddle offense. Some are minor, others are significant.

Advantages of the Hurry-Up, No-Huddle
  • You will set the tempo of the game
  • The coach has the ability to change the play at the line of scrimmage
  • Fun for players and fans
  • You'll get more kids out to play for you
  • Score quickly
  • More offensive snaps
  • Defenses cannot simulate it in practice
  • Defenses have to spend more time than usual preparing for tempo, separately from the scheme itself
  • Defenses cannot regroup after big plays
  • Defenses cannot pick up on tendencies
  • Gets the defensive coordinator out of his comfort zone
  • Coordinators cannot communicate to their defense as they typically would
Obviously only a few of these apply to NCAA Football, but you can see the philosophy that goes into the HUNH offensive system. It isn't just a tactic to win a single battle, it is a strategy to win the war.

Gus Malzahn got into the hurry-up, no-huddle offense because he felt something was missing from his offense. Every game, Malzahn's staff would script and practice a hurry-up, no-huddle series of three plays to open the start of the game. He noticed it gave his offense momentum, but that momentum was quickly lost after the third play was completed and the team returned to the huddle. Not long after, they decided to fully commit to a game-long two minute drill.

The end result was staggering. Malzahn's Shiloh Christian went from a 6-6 team averaging 15.5 points per game and 3027 total yards on 491 plays to a 14-1 team that played in the state championship, averaging 30 points per game and totaling 6713 yards on 892 plays. After a 6-6 record in 1996, Shiloh Christian went 57-2-1 over the next 4 seasons, appearing in 4 consecutive state championships running the full time hurry-up, no-huddle system, averaging nearly 7000 yards per season over that time.

The hurry-up, no-huddle is not limited to just shotgun spread offenses. Any offense whether it be power, pro-style or option can benefit from using tempo to their advantage. I get tingly thinking about what a Tom Osborne I-Formation power run offense would look like paired with some hurry-up, no-huddle.

Unfortunately, NCAA Football has long struggled to implement the hurry-up, no-huddle offense correctly. You're unable to substitute and in the case of NCAA 14, you are limited to formations with the same personnel as your starting formation. I will discuss some of the tricks I use to apply tempo in the Putting It All Together section but the important information is found in this thread. A lot of us already run HUNH in NCAA so understanding the why is far more important than the how.

Last edited:

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Wheels (Bama in Malzahn terminology) is mirrored slot wheels with a 10 yard post that can be flattened out to a dig vs high corner. So instead of having a Wheel with the Post and a Wheel with the Dig, they sight adjust the outside routes to one or the other depending on coverage. Both outside receivers push to 10 yards, if the CB stays high, they flatten it to a dig. If he stays tight, they run the post.

Here is how it looks out of 20, but it can obviously be run out of pretty much any formation.

Bama_zps575362d8.png
Bama is the standard name for any Wheel in Malzahn's offense though. They can run a Wheel out of pretty much anything. One of the favorites is a Wheel to the FB out of the backfield similar to 20 above, except it isn't mirrored. They actually combine a Wheel with Shallow Cross. 9 will run the 10 yard dig and the opposing slot will run shallow. Progression would be Dig-Wheel-Checkdown.

Stack Zip LR Bama
BamaLR_zps541565e9.png

One of Malzahn's fire alarm plays is Trey Bunch Bama. The NCAA equivalent would be "Seattle" where you have a Wheel and Vertical combo attacking the play side safety.

Unfortunately in EA world, you don't have sight adjustments so it helps to have Wheel/Post on one side and Wheel/Dig to the other, that way you have a winner either way. I've messed around some with FB wheels in the various wing formations but haven't had a ton of success. The hot route wheel is very herky jerky, he goes way too far horizontal and it takes forever to get vertical. I'm likely going to re-add Split Slot to my offense solely for the great PA Wheel concepts in that formation.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I run a Bama'ed shallow all the time. Thanks for the clarification.

I really like that adjustment to it, especially in EA land where Shallow can be so deadly. I need to run more of it. I've been caught up recently going through my playbook just trying to rip excessive pass concepts out. When it comes to it, I can create pretty much all 8 of the base pass concepts using hot routes out of a few basic play calls.

I need to run more FB Wheel routes out of the backfield. I do use quite a few little FB pop passes with him running up the seam, but not a ton of wheels.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Something I liked to do the few times I run under center for short yardage is to run a PA Waggle with the FB running a wheel behind the deep post instead of a flat as the primary read.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Something I liked to do the few times I run under center for short yardage is to run a PA Waggle with the FB running a wheel behind the deep post instead of a flat as the primary read.

Having at least one under center formation is something I've been trying to do for a while, but can't quite make it fit in the playbook. That's part of the reason I'm trying so hard to really slim down the playbook because under center is what I've had to sacrifice.

I really want Ace Bunch in there because I can get under center to run a Crack Toss as well as some of the End Around motion stuff and then a down field play action off Slash or something. We'll see how it ends up. The most recent draft of the playbook was still pretty big. I'm getting close to axing a few formations I like just to slim it down.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
The Tempo section has been updated. That ended up a bit longer than I anticipated but there is some great information in Malzahn's book I thought could be of some use.

Next up is the playbook and finally putting it all together

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Having at least one under center formation is something I've been trying to do for a while, but can't quite make it fit in the playbook. That's part of the reason I'm trying so hard to really slim down the playbook because under center is what I've had to sacrifice.

I really want Ace Bunch in there because I can get under center to run a Crack Toss as well as some of the End Around motion stuff and then a down field play action off Slash or something. We'll see how it ends up. The most recent draft of the playbook was still pretty big. I'm getting close to axing a few formations I like just to slim it down.

I've been planning a write-up on my "Bunch Series" for a while. I've ran entire games out of that one formation with excellent numbers.

If I could recommend an under center formation, I would go with I Tight or Strong Twin TE. The I has the automotion passes and runs as a series along with the QB sneak. Strong has Drive with a Bama tag on it, and the toss is incredible.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I've always been partial to I-Formations so I had been thinking about one of those, either I-Tight so I could pair it with Pistol Train and one of my Wildcat formations going up-tempo or I Y Trips which I could pair with Slot F Wing. I love the Lead Toss out of I Y Trips, would run it a dozen times a game in my Osborne offense.

I just finished a game against Bruin that was pretty much my perfect game of offense. Won 55-0 New Mexico vs Ball State in the Bottom Feeder OD. Defense aside, I played a truly perfect game on O. That was the first game I had really installed my Jump Motion stuff on offense using audibles and I think I had Bruin on the ropes with it. Bruin especially is someone who likes to hedge to the side of my I-Back and often times tries to quickly switch to the guy being read to attack the mesh. I started using my jump motion to get my back quickly from one side to the other in the same WR/TE alignment to keep him off balance. I hit a few big plays off of that.

I really attacked hard with tempo in that game as well. I had been getting away from my up-tempo recently because I didn't have a full playbook with audibles at my disposal, but that was the first game I played with a full playbook ready and it showed. It also helps that I've got a 99 OVR 3 time Heisman winner at QB and depth on offense out the ass.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Not really sure where to put this but figured I'd see if there were people who wanted to provide input. Been talking with @bruin228 about this some but felt like it would be a good discussion for everyone interested. I'm kind of getting worn down with pretty much everyone running some brand of spread w/tempo these days. Obviously I'm probably the king of spread w/tempo but it's starting to get frustrating seeing the same thing on O and D week after week in ODs. Everyone runs "spread stopper" defenses 335/425 and everyone runs some form of spread. Ramesu is the only person I've played recently that ran something different and he kicked my ass on O because I hadn't defended an under center power/PA offense in forever.

Because of that, I'm thinking about switching up my offense at Nebraska in Powerhouse OD. Especially after the game I just played vs Best. 52-32 at halftime and that was a recreation of a disconnected game that was 7-17, so in reality the score was 59-49. Ended 66-40 (73-57). It's just getting kind of old running one offense in three ODs.

So what I'm thinking is going back to some version of my Osborne offense. Either the full on authentic version with 4 Ace, 8 I, Power I, Maryland I, Flex Normal and a Gun or two. Or a bastardized version combining Spread-I and Osborne.

The rule I have always tried to live by when creating offenses for NCAA is "could a real college program install and practice this within the time constraints of a typical CFB practice?" I never wanted to run bits and pieces of everything because footwork and blocking schemes would be so different that no team could realistically run that offense. Plus I always felt that was lobby ball, going Maryland I two plays and Spread two more, etc.

The Osborne offense I broke down last year and the Malzahn offense I broke down this year are very similar. Same plays, same concepts, same blocking schemes. They succeed up front because every single play they run uses one of the four base blocking schemes; IZ, OZ, Power/Counter, Trap. I want to continue to live by that rule, but I'd really love to be more "multiple" and show some looks people aren't used to seeing. I may take some L's along the way but I think it would be more fun.

I know @JSU Zack runs a "pro spread" so I'd be interested in hearing some different ideas on how to implement it. In my mind, I'm imagining a combination of I Formation and Stack Gun (Gun I), I just don't want to get too wild or fall into formation tendencies (only run under center, only throw and run read from the gun).

Ideas? Thoughts? Any CFB teams I should look at that might be doing something similar? Air Force has always kind of run bits and pieces of this but more option than I want to be.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Are you interested in the one back offense? That was something that was pretty interesting to me and I may pick it back up eventually.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Are you interested in the one back offense? That was something that was pretty interesting to me and I may pick it back up eventually.

Not really, I love two back football too much, whether it be from the I or Gun. There was a time in NCAA when I ran a lot of one back stuff from under center and I did have success with it, but I'm just not that comfortable consistently throwing from the drop back.

In my Osborne offense that I used against you a few times in random games, I would go one back Ace here and there (Big, Big Twins, Slot, Y Trips) but that was usually just to run Stretch and PA Stretch. I still want to be power run/power option based. I suppose that alone limits what I'm doing to either the I/Flexbone/Pistol/Gun or some combination of the 4.

There was a time when I would run Air Raid in NCAA but obviously a bunch of people do that now so that doesn't solve the "something different" plan.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
You could put some I and 2 back Gun in with one back stuff but I'm not sure how well that would work.

Pistol could be interesting, I've only seen one person run that.

I haven't seen anyone run Raid outside of myself in ODs, the closest would be Best and I'm 100 attempts ahead of him in Powerhouse. Did you run the new-era Raid stuff that involves more running?

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Yes I did. I actually ran an almost entirely Pistol Air Raid. I would only go Gun to get into Empty or Split. Best threw a shit ton against me in both the DC'ed game and this one just now. I think I get more passing out of people than most because of the style of defense I run. Even Ramesu threw almost 20 times against me (Very successfully). I like Pistol in real life, but hate how it is implemented in game these days, especially option stuff. Very slow developing.

I've been thinking about what a half I, half Gun I offense would look like. The best year to do this would have been this current season at Nebraska where I had a 91 OVR FB. But now that it's the end of the season, too late. He graduates. My FB next year is either a low 70s OVR FR or one of my HBs. That 5* ATH from Nebraska I recruited last year could slide down to FB. He could have played HB/FB/WR but I put him at HB since, at the time, I didn't use a true FB. He has 65 RBK and 73 IBL which is solid enough and it a very powerful runner.

The other idea I had was to move the 5 (Y) in my current offense to FB. He's a 6'6" 232 WR with 63 RBK and 72 IBL and more importantly, he can carry the football, 81 CAR, 89 SPD, 79 AGI, 93 ACC. That would serve a dual purpose, not only could he fill the I-Formation FB role competently but when I wanted to go up-tempo from the I to Gun I, the FB would move to the slot and be able to catch passes.

So if I based out of the I it would look like this:

----X---------OOOOOY------------
-----------------Q-------------Z--
-----------------------------------
-----------------F----------------
-----------------T----------------

Then in the Gun I it would look like this:

----X---------OOOOO------F------
-------------------Y-----------Z--
-----------------Q-----------------
-------------------T---------------

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
@TXHusker05 It looks like we've flipped the script on one another over the past few days. I change my O almost every year, and the result is I run a multiple offense these days. I labbed my interpretation of your Spread I 2.0 yesterday, and I've had some killer games. Then, I've had others that were too close for comfort.

If you're looking for a good team to watch, take a look at what the Saints are doing on offense since Payton has come back. There's an article somewhere where Payton discusses how he lost to the same little league team twice in his year off when he coached his son. A single wing team beat him during the regular season and again in the championship. He came back with a stronger commitment to the run. I haven't seen the black & gold line up in the I so much since McCallister left.

Study up on the Saints changes and what Pete Carroll is doing with the Seahawks. Both are West Coast teams with different flavors. Add in option from the I and a few spread sets. You can't lose.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I decided to at least install the full under center package I use in the Osborne offense minus I Open (I Slot). The total number of plays for the following formations is 211:

Ace Big, Big Twins, Slot, Y Trips
I Normal, Twins, Twins Flex, Y Trips, Tight, Twin TE
Maryland I Wide, Heavy
Power I Strong, Tight
Flexbone Normal
Goal Line Normal

That leaves me quite a bit of room to put in some Gun. Originally, I only put in Gun Spread into this offense. In this version, I'm thinking Split Offset, Slot F Wing, Normal Flex Wing, Normal Flex Wing Wk, Wing Offset, Wing Offset Wk, Spread Flex or Offset, Trio 4WR Str/Wk, Empty Spread. Others I have considered are Twin TE Slot and Twin TE Slot Wk which would mesh up great with 21 personnel.

In my mind (a very dangerous place), I am imagining a really sweet package of plays between I Twins, I Y Trips, Slot F Wing, Twin TE Slot, Twin TE Slot Wk.

That would get me a solid chunk of my Spread-I with the full under center install. Not sure how it would mesh together but it could be nice.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I tried a multiple option for the heck of it tonight. All under center with a wishbone base. It wasn't too bad considering how inferior my line is compared to the opponents I'm facing.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
When I was testing all my formation audibles for this bastardized version of the Osborne offense and Spread-I Offense, I was in Flexbone Normal quite a bit. I'm kind of tempted to try a multiple option attack as well. Some I-Formation, some Bone (Flex and Wish), some Gun and Pistol stuff.

Would be kind of new and different. I know Best is running Flexbone in the Bottom Feeder OD but I think he's the only one running it or attempting to run it anyway.

I actually like how the Multiple I playbook ended up. Not sure if I'll like it as much in practice as I do in theory, but it's pretty solid. I could stay in the I for most of the game pretty easily. Just not sure it's the best use of my personnel at Nebraska, where I would be running this new offense. I can't run anything but Spread-I at New Mexico or Texas Tech, my personnel is pretty much tailored to the Spread-I there.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Played a few more games and proceeded to scrap the multiple option playbook. The bone formations are just too neutered, particularly in pass protection and perimeter blocking.

Craig7835

TXHusker-this is some GREAT stuff. I'll apply these concepts in my Multiple West Coast Offense. The Rip\Liz plays-when used correctly- are deadly

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
TXHusker-this is some GREAT stuff. I'll apply these concepts in my Multiple West Coast Offense. The Rip\Liz plays-when used correctly- are deadly

Thanks for the kind words!

The great thing about Malzahn's offense is that the plays are universal. He didn't reinvent the wheel by any stretch. He took the base plays that pretty much everyone has in their offense and made them more efficient to fit his tempo. All of these concepts would be at home in a west coast offense, a traditional pro style offense, an air raid offense or even the old Wing T offense (where Malzahn first got a lot of his offense).

I'm partial to the Rip/Liz sprint out plays as well. I face so much interior pressure in my games that being able to quickly move the pocket and throw on the run outside the hash is very important. 85 Rip (Z Spot in game) is probably my go to short yardage/2 point conversion play. I run it out of Stack, Trips and Triple constantly and probably complete it 90% of the time.

Even in my under center run heavy offense I will use all the same concepts and use Rip/Liz constantly. If you're West Coast and use Ace formations, Ace Y Trips has three really great sprintout plays, Rollout Smash (81 Rip), Z Spot (85 Rip) and QB Sprintout which is similar to 83 Rip but it has a flat/vertical/curl combo.

drumkilla15

I'm a new member and don't mean to dig up such an old thread, but I got all the way through this read and didn't see your playbook listing (formations/plays) for the game. I was wondering if you have posted it somewhere or are willing to post it? I've tried matching the formations in the game with the ones you have depicted, but not getting great results. I really enjoyed your write up. Thank you.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I'm a new member and don't mean to dig up such an old thread, but I got all the way through this read and didn't see your playbook listing (formations/plays) for the game. I was wondering if you have posted it somewhere or are willing to post it? I've tried matching the formations in the game with the ones you have depicted, but not getting great results. I really enjoyed your write up. Thank you.

I usually don't have a standard playbook posted because the plays and formations change season to season based on personnel. The formations and base plays in the write-up are usually the constants that stay in year to year regardless of personnel though. At the end of last year, my final formation list was this (in order, as listed in the playbook):

Pistol Train

Gun F Twins Over
Gun Split Slot
Gun Split Offset
Gun Slot F Win
Gun Twin TE Slot
Gun Twin TE Slot Wk
Gun Normal Flex Wing
Gun Normal Flex Wing Wk
Gun Normal Offset
Gun Normal Offset Wk (Wing)
Gun Wing Offset
Gun Wing Offset Wk
Gun Wing Trio
Gun Y Trips Offset
Gun Trio HB Wk
Gun Trio Offset
Gun Trio Unbalanced Offset
Gun Trio 4WR
Gun Trio 4WR Str
Gun Spread Flex
Gun Spread Offset
Gun Empty Spread
Gun Empty Quads
Gun Empty Wing Trio

Obviously that's a lot, but generally speaking they are very slimmed down formations with very few plays in them. The formations change based on personnel, with a particularly fast quarterback I will have a bunch of Wildcat added in there. With a particularly slow quarterback, I'll remove some of the "traditional" gun formations and replace them with Pistol sets.

The plays are all identical to what I've written up. Inside Zone, Inside Zone Read, Counter/Power, Buck Sweep, Jet Sweep, Speed Option, Trap. Not all plays are available in every formation, I add the ones that are and nothing more. Same with the pass game, since this is primarily a run first offense, I have a very limited passing game. Generally just one play action pass per formation (usually PA Read) so that I can call it at the line of scrimmage. I'll add as much or as little pass game as I'm comfortable with. Generally what I recommend to most people is add the passes you're most comfortable with. What I'm comfortable with throwing may not be the same things you're comfortable with. The majority of the pass game in this offense is created at the line of scrimmage via quick audibles and/or hot routes. When the offense is going right, I will have very few pass plays called out of the huddle.

The big thing is run what you're comfortable with out of the formations that fit your personnel. Not all those formations I listed above will fit your team, they certainly don't fit the team I have now in either of our ODs. In one OD, I have no TE or FB so all the Wing formations are removed and I run exclusively out of 20/10 personnel formations. In the other, I have a 66 SPD quarterback and utilize more Pistol and less option. I'll even go under center if it fits my offensive personnel.

The one thing I would highly recommend is to organize the plays in the playbook in a consistent order. At tempo, you're going to want to be able to find and call plays quickly. I usually organize my plays like this:

Runs (occasionally takes 2 rows)
Options (occasionally takes 2 rows)
Play Action/Sprintouts
Quick Passes
Drop Back Passes
Screens/Specials

You won't always fill every row and some rows may be combined or extended but for the most part, that is how I order my formations. I've done it that way for years so it is what I'm comfortable with, you may have a different system. But I would highly recommend ordering your plays in a way you're familiar with. An example formation for me would be:

Wing Offset Wk (my favorite formation)

Counter - Inside Zone Split - Power O
Speed Option - Read Option - PA Boot
Jet Sweep - Motion Option - PA Jet Wheelies
Curls - Flood - Verts
HB Slip Screen (alone in its own row)

Note that complimentary plays are generally stacked on top of each other. IZS, then Read Optoin, then Motion Option.

I can post my whole playbook if you'd like, but generally speaking the run, pass and screen concepts that are posted in the write-up are identical to what I use in game and listed in the order I have them above. The big part of the offense is identifying the core concepts you are most comfortable with and get your best players the ball and then running them at tempo.

At some point, hopefully soon, I will be adding some things either to this thread or a new thread, specifically my screen game. I've started running a very customized screen game to counter the press man coverage I face almost every game. I am not ready to post it yet but I have some good stuff I want to add.

I should note that while I'm running a version of my Spread-I in both ODs, both playbooks are very different from each other and the one I listed above. One is a more balanced pro-style attack from Pistol and Gun, the other is almost an air raid offense using no TE sets. The base of the offense is the same; inside zone, inside zone read, power/counter, play action and the same core pass concepts. The only thing that changes is the formations, based on personnel.

Generally speaking, if I have a slower quarterback, I will run more Pistol to integrate a "traditional" run game and less option. If I have a faster quarterback, I will add Wildcat and some more traditional gun sets to run QB Power. If I have an elite TE, I will use less wing sets and more formations with the TE on the LOS so he can get down field. If I have quick receivers, I'll run more Jet and Screens. If I have quick backs, I'll run more Buck Sweeps. If I have power backs, I'll run more IZ/Trap. That is just very general guidelines, I like adapting the offense to the personnel on a yearly basis because no two groups of personnel are identical.

If you need any more help, let me know, I'm always happy to help. Where are you struggling?

Last edited:

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Thanks a lot man! I'm going to make this playbook and start labbing. I'm sure I'll have some questions soon. :thumbsup:

No problem at all, I'm sure I'll update some things in this thread as I go this year. I've changed up the formations quite a bit this year just because of the personnel in the two ODs. One is a HB/WR heavy team with absolutely zero FB or TEs so I scrapped all the wing formations that made this the Spread-"I" and it is entirely just 2 HB/3 WR, 1 HB/4WR or Empty formations. I've been pretty much 60-40 run-pass in that OD since I have unbelievably good receivers, going to start integrating more option as I go.

The other team has the 66 SPD QB which makes a lot of things different. That limits the amount of option I can run so I've actually moved more towards the Pistol because I have a few more "traditional" runs like Strong Power, Counter and Stretch that don't require my QB to be as much as a run threat. We are in the final week of that OD and I'm actually working on testing things for next season where my best back is going to be a fullback. Integrating a fullback into a spread offense is very difficult, at least in the game. I have some ideas but I also might integrate some under center stuff to get him the ball quickly.

My offense is always evolving, the best part about ODs to me is adapting the offense as I go. The core stays the same but the formations and how I call plays will vary not just season to season but game to game. I think I had a game recently where I ran and threw exactly 38 times a piece. Very rarely do I get that kind of balance but sometimes it works out that way.

drumkilla15

We are in the final week of that OD and I'm actually working on testing things for next season where my best back is going to be a fullback. Integrating a fullback into a spread offense is very difficult, at least in the game. I have some ideas but I also might integrate some under center stuff to get him the ball quickly.

I've messed with this a few times. Whenever I can find the fastest FB that can block, I like to have him as my Thunder back. I'll set it up up so that he's in as an extra blocker on passing plays. Then if I notice a blitz front, I audible him to the flat or hitch/curl. If I notice they keep running a man pass D, I'll audible to either a Dive or Draw play.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I've messed with this a few times. Whenever I can find the fastest FB that can block, I like to have him as my Thunder back. I'll set it up up so that he's in as an extra blocker on passing plays. Then if I notice a blitz front, I audible him to the flat or hitch/curl. If I notice they keep running a man pass D, I'll audible to either a Dive or Draw play.

I messed around with a few things in my final game of the season last night (vs the CPU) in preparation for next year. I moved my fullback around between H-Back, a "traditional" tight end and then lined up at Tailback. I ran with him 10 or 11 times and he scored 3 short yardage TDs all from the Gun. I alternated between Trap and then using him as the dive back on motion option with my HB lined up in the slot.

Next year will be weird because I'll have 3 solid but unspectacular HBs and 3-4 solid but unspectacular WRs, plus a few incoming recruits, but no one really stands out as a play maker. I think I might get cute with formation subs so I can get a variety of people the ball in different ways. In my mind I'm imagining doing some weird stuff with a formation like Spread Offset where I put HBs in each slot position and a FB in the backfield and then just run FB Dive/Trap/Option, Motion Option and then screens. Maybe do another one where my HBs are lined up way outside and my WRs are lined up inside.

BuckeyeNut

Is there any way to tell how much run block a wide receiver has before you sign them? I never seem to luck out with getting the good run blockers for WR and I don't know if there is some hint to getting this right.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Is there any way to tell how much run block a wide receiver has before you sign them? I never seem to luck out with getting the good run blockers for WR and I don't know if there is some hint to getting this right.

They all suck. Any WR you recruit is going to have 40 RBK and 40 IMP BLK unless you sign an ATH that is a WR. The ATHs that are high in strength (65-70) usually come in with 60's in run blocking.

LEGEND

They all suck. Any WR you recruit is going to have 40 RBK and 40 IMP BLK unless you sign an ATH that is a WR. The ATHs that are high in strength (65-70) usually come in with 60's in run blocking.

This!

I'm starting to recruit my wr's from the athlete pool unless it's a really good guy that I can't pass on.

tskillet

You can also find tight ends with solid receiving skills and accelerationbbut blocking in the 60s. I move them out to WR and you regularly see a +3 boost (or more) to their overall rating.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Yep, every true WR I've ever recruited is 40 Run Block. Occasionally you'll get lucky with an ATH/WR that has 50-60 RBK, but that is about it. It's unfortunate because perimeter blocking is a pretty big part of what I do and when you get 4 or 5 years into an OD, that's just about all gone.

Like tskillet said, if you can find an athletic tight end, it helps to move them out to receiver where they can cause havoc blocking but I struggle recruiting enough tight ends to actually play tight end. I've been doing a lot of motioning fullbacks out of the backfield to block on the perimeter lately in my offense to help set the edge. A lot of success with it so far.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
If y'all are interested, Georgia Southern put on a clinic for the Spread-I against Georgia Tech. I've also found the whole games for the OSU's playoff games. I'd study this film.

I just finished binge watching Georgia Tech's 2014 season to study the flexbone. Ohio State next.

BuckeyeNut

I know the major play that was run against Oregon in the Championship game was an offset counter out of 11 personel. They mostly ran it with a wham-blocking tight end (Nick Vannet or Jeff Heuermann) and a lot of zone runs up the middle out of the same formation. Also ran a few counters out of an offset trips formation with the tight end on the line.

Auburnoffense

have you TXHusker05 finished with the put it all together part yet.. i really need help with my tempo and setting my audibles up to go really fast!!!!! any help?????? ANYONE!!!!!!?????

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
have you TXHusker05 finished with the put it all together part yet.. i really need help with my tempo and setting my audibles up to go really fast!!!!! any help?????? ANYONE!!!!!!?????

I have not, I kind of got away from NCAA preparing for a cross-country move but am going to try picking it back up this fall. I can give you a quick run down on my audible strategy though.

The main thing is that I very, very rarely audible. Audibling is always going to slow things down. I generally prefer just to get in one personnel grouping and then go 3-5 plays at a time in that same grouping. For the most part, I get in 11 personnel (HB, TE, 3 WR) and go. The majority of my formations are 11 personnel so it works out.

The only times I really audible are when I want to take advantage of a formation that is technically a different personnel grouping but is a similar style. For example, Gun Wing Offset is 20 personnel and Gun Wing Offset Wk is 11 personnel. Why, I do not now but I stopped asking why with this game a long time ago. Typically my shoulder button audibles were one Wing Offset Wk play (L1/LB) and one Wing Offset play (R1/RB), that way I could easily get between them in up-tempo and I could counter people trying to play games with my read by just quickly audibling from one to another to switch the HB's side.

Ever since I decided to go 90% Pistol, I haven't had to worry about it as much. My advice for audibles is typically to find your favorite play in your 5 most used formations and assign those as audibles. Try to make sure those formations are different personnel groupings. You can always get to the same personnel grouping via the no huddle play call screen, but if you're someone who likes to go from say 11 personnel with an inline TE but also flex out a TE, make sure you have a 10 personnel or even Empty formation in your audibles.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Picked up my Spread-I (Pistol Edition) where I left it last, luckily nothing has been corrupted and the playbook still works. It's a bit fat though, I don't think I ever got around to streamlining it and it is sitting around 36 formations and 340 plays. Still nice, but needs streamlining and will need some tweaking for an odd set of personnel going into the next season of Powerhouse OD. Unfortunately, there are two things that really cause havoc with Pistol, slow tailbacks and no depth, which are the two issues I'll have going into next season.

I can make any other combination of players work but a slow tailback induces all sorts of awkward run animations in the Pistol. There are some workarounds, but it takes away a lot of core concepts (Strong Power and Counter especially). No depth takes away tempo as well.

Thinking about taking the core Pistol stuff, going back to some Offset Wing stuff for quick hitters/screens. I do have tons of speed at QB but I don't want to go back to running QB Power stuff. I did that when NCAA 14 first came out and hated it. It worked, but I hated it. I might do a little Wildcat to take advantage of QB speed otherwise I'm going to just run a shit ton of Load/Lead Option.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Picked up my Spread-I (Pistol Edition) where I left it last, luckily nothing has been corrupted and the playbook still works. It's a bit fat though, I don't think I ever got around to streamlining it and it is sitting around 36 formations and 340 plays. Still nice, but needs streamlining and will need some tweaking for an odd set of personnel going into the next season of Powerhouse OD. Unfortunately, there are two things that really cause havoc with Pistol, slow tailbacks and no depth, which are the two issues I'll have going into next season.

I can make any other combination of players work but a slow tailback induces all sorts of awkward run animations in the Pistol. There are some workarounds, but it takes away a lot of core concepts (Strong Power and Counter especially). No depth takes away tempo as well.

Thinking about taking the core Pistol stuff, going back to some Offset Wing stuff for quick hitters/screens. I do have tons of speed at QB but I don't want to go back to running QB Power stuff. I did that when NCAA 14 first came out and hated it. It worked, but I hated it. I might do a little Wildcat to take advantage of QB speed otherwise I'm going to just run a shit ton of Load/Lead Option.

I've been running something similar to yours for some time now, but it's old school I form with gun mixed in a la NDSU. I really like what they do on offense. It's just power, iso, & trap.