• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Sperg about Motor Racing thread

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I figured even the Martinsville dogs wouldn't make it through inflation. If they did that's commendable

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Or they make them $2.50 and nobody says anything like what happened with nearly everything else

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Yo, I got some tickets to the Friday practice sessions at Wilkesboro on May 19. I won’t be able to go. Anyone interested? Includes on-site parking (off site parking is several miles away).

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I just can't handle F1 anymore. It's the most fundamentally broken sport I have ever seen. The racing is terrible and has been every year of the last decade but maybe one. When 90% of fans are watching for the drama and soap opera of the sport then you have a serious problem. IndyCar is so much better, it's a shame no one watches it.

It's always ɓeen that way. I've always drifted in and out of being able to watch it for sustained periods. It does feel like we've reached a new nadir though when even the current champion and biggest beneficiary of the new regulations is slagging them off and saying that they've made racing and overtaking even more horrible than it was before.

It's pretty much like the corruption in FIFA except that with F1 they can interfere so much more due to its nature. I'm not talking about Lewis btw, just the whole direction amd history. There's probably a dozen different corruptions behind the regulation changes.

That being said, I do find it hilarious, all the fans (particularly Lewis Hamilton fans) talking about F1 as if its been spoiled and used to be great. This is absolutely the biggest load of nonsense ever.

All being said though, I reckon that it should get pretty interesting again soon as the FIA and F1 try to unpick the problems that they've created for themselves. Either that or they carry on a trajectory that sees them lose all of their new found fans in the space of the next few years. Either way will be amusing. But as you say it's all off track drama, when the racing should be the star.

Last edited:

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
F1 really hasn't been great since 2005-2009. Schumacher vs. Alonso, Alonso vs. Hamilton vs. Raikkonen. Brawn GP winning everything in sight and then running out of money and limping to the championship. Right after that we got the dynasty period. Red Bull was untouchable, then it was Mercedes, now it's Red Bull again. Yawn. It's almost as bad as 2001-2004 when you knew Schumacher was going to win if he showed up to the track.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
For the most part, I only watch F1 qualifying because after about five race laps, you can predict the finishing order about 95% of the time.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
They just need to make the cars smaller, it seems like that’s an easy solution to what’s going on. It will be a rough transition but in the long run the racing should be a lot better just from having more room

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
They just need to make the cars smaller, it seems like that’s an easy solution to what’s going on. It will be a rough transition but in the long run the racing should be a lot better just from having more room
That and getting rid of aerodynamic downforce. Let the drivers wrestle the cars. Higher speeds and the need for aero downforce kills racing.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
It's the hybrid engines that make them massive apparently. Hopefully they can make them smaller over time. The most annoying thing is how these cars are bigger than the last generation which makes no sense at all.

Less mechanical grip would help too.

I don't know about this. Verstappen was basically saying in the presser that the best racing comes from the best handling and that the old active suspension systems were much better because the drivers could use more of the curbs. What's amazing is that he benefited the most from it being banned. One thing about the guy is that he really loves racing and F1 should probably stop and listen to him.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
You need mechanical grip. Otherwise it's like driving on ice. I like the 80s F1 and NASCAR cars that made like 20% of the downforce they do today, but had decent mechanical grip that allowed the drivers to shine.

I was watching a re-run of the 1992 Winston at Charlotte Motor Speedway. During the last segment, the entire pack is running 2 and 3 wide through the turns, some with the back end sliding around. There's no way in hell they could do that now. As soon as you get behind someone, all of your front grip is gone. With those old 1992 cars, it didn't matter because they made very little front downforce at speed anyway. No front splitter, front air dam like 4-5 inches off the ground...NASCAR needs to watch some of these old races and make the cars try to drive like that.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
F1 could stand to make the tires slightly less wide though. Or maybe re-introduce the grooved tires from the early-mid 2000s. So yeah, you might be right about that. I have no idea why F1 thought that faster cars would be better for racing. Makes no sense.

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
because they got that digital overlay that shows them going 200mph!

Wolfman21

Truck series race should be bonkers.

those are always bonkers because its a mix of 19-20 year old silver spoons with either no talent or half talent who dont give a shit about anything and people that just have zero talent at all and they just run over each other, lol

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
cup series heats were shit, as expected. Coming back to wilkesboro is great. Bringing this car....ugh
Truck race was awesome yesterday except for Larson being in it. Guys were all over the place. Cutting hard left in between 1 & 2 and using the apron was chefs kiss

Wolfman21

Truck race was awesome yesterday except for Larson being in it. Guys were all over the place. Cutting hard left in between 1 & 2 and using the apron was chefs kiss

yeah, i mean, we know good racing can be had here. I wish Xfinity raced here this weekend. That would have been a good show. The fear all along was that the excitement of being back at NW was going to be wasted with this car thats shit on short tracks and it feels like those fears have been realized. Car just sucks on short tracks. Its good on 1.5's, and thats really it.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Nobody cares about the race anyway, the only thing worth watching is qualifying. I watched the highlights and Max's third sector was crazy.

Wolfman21

im just tired of seeing him get absolutely run over by everyone on the track and just going "ho hum, we'll see em next week". Bout damn time he starts giving it back. If that costs him a week, well then it costs him a week.

Yeah, i did see the Hamlin tweets with pictures of data and everything. And he muted his replys so nobody can reply to it :laughing::laughing:

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
The same Denny that walled Chastain at Phoenix and then bragged about it on his podcast? The same one who put Larson into the wall on the final lap for the win?

lol