• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Sperg about Motor Racing thread

Wolfman21

well apparently they put brand new tires on Leclerc's car in Q3 even though he was out there for the most part to give Sainz a tow. Leclerc asked why and they said it was a mistake. So...LOL ferarri

Wolfman21

Verstappen line 7 tenths faster than P2....but with all the penalties taken by drivers in the top 10....it'll be Sainz, Perez, Alonso, Hamilton, Russell, ALbon in the first 3 rows

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
W13 is officially shit and they should change direction completely. I don't see what use it is keeping on with this flawed design concept anymore

Wolfman21

Hamilton crashes out, Ferrari already has a strategy change with the leader and verstappen is already p3 on lap 8 lol

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
The biggest disappointment this year is that the new rules and regs categorically haven't worked, however much anyone tries to spin it.

If Merc hadn't shat the bed, the running order is almost exactly the same as last year, with Ferrari making a bit of an improvement which has nothing to do with the new regs and simply to do with their long term dev strategy. We have less overtakes too than previous seasons. I just can't see the positives.

As I say the only difference is that Mercs dev team got too big for their boots and too used to using computer simulations and shat their bed on a concept that should never have existed.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
The biggest disappointment this year is that the new rules and regs categorically haven't worked, however much anyone tries to spin it.

If Merc hadn't shat the bed, the running order is almost exactly the same as last year, with Ferrari making a bit of an improvement which has nothing to do with the new regs and simply to do with their long term dev strategy. We have less overtakes too than previous seasons. I just can't see the positives.

As I say the only difference is that Mercs dev team got too big for their boots and too used to using computer simulations and shat their bed on a concept that should never have existed.
All they had to do is look at the cars from earlier years. Narrower front and rear wings, narrower tires. Throw in ground effects on a smaller car and you can get more overtakes. A huge fucking car with huge fucking wings and huge fucking tires doesn’t make a good car for passing, and I wonder about the people that run F1 that can’t grasp that. Nobody gives a fuck how fast you’re lapping the track. The faster your lap times, the harder it is to pass anyway.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
Is it safety regs that demand a bigger heavier car? Why else would they make them so damn big?

Wolfman21

Apparently someone won a million bucks on a 4 way parlay for Landon Cassil, bj mcloud, Cody ware and David Ragan top 10s today

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Is it safety regs that demand a bigger heavier car? Why else would they make them so damn big?

Never thought of it from this angle, but it could be. None of the ex-drivers seem to think so whenever they've talked about it. They always seem as bemused as Hollywood about how they have to keep making them bigger. I suppose in terms of lap time, unless they stop them with regs, the teams are always going to make them bigger to get more performance. I expect that's what's happened.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I mean it makes no sense. We have great tracks like spa and overtaking is literally being made more and more difficult by these stupidly big cars. If you made them smaller you could even get some entertainment out of Monaco.

Wolfman21

i assume the size is for energy dissipation in collisions, but I've done no research into that so shrug. But yeah...the enormity of these damn things now definitely hinders actual racing.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
First on-track pass they show is on lap 10. Ugh. Great track, but not for this car. You need a smaller car with less speed to make for a good race here.

Wolfman21

Verstappen in the middle of possibly one of the most dominant seasons in f1 history. 10 wins with 7 races to go. He could easily pass Schumacher and Vettels record 13 win seasons with his current form

Wolfman21

southern 500 was pretty crazy tonight. Almost all of the top teams in the playoffs had issues. Elliott wrecked out early, harvicks car caught on fire, chastain had issues, larson had engine issues and self spun once, kyle busch blew an engine....can't remember if there were more

Erik jones took the petty 43 back to victory lane

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Want some comedy? Go to any fæcesbook post from nascar or Fox about Bubba Wallace’s win yesterday. Fucking amazing

noel-smile.gif

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
That race was bad. Had a fever of 102 and the race just made it less tolerable. Mind you, the bits where I was hallucinating weren't so bad.

Wolfman21

what a dogwater day for racing. Between Japan being a fucking mess and the racing at Charlotte being fucking horrible and then the last few laps maimed by idiots just driving all over each other as they normally do....just horrible racing

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
F1 is definitely becoming WWE. You can't let a team pretend it broke the cost cap because it spent too much on sandwiches and expect your sport to be taken seriously. Do you think they know this or just have their heads so far up their own asses they can't see it?

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
I think it's painfully clear they do not care given everything that's happened in the past year. As a newer fan I can't tell if this is new or if it's always been this way.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I think it's painfully clear they do not care given everything that's happened in the past year. As a newer fan I can't tell if this is new or if it's always been this way.

It was always a stiff sport before the last few years. A few dubious characters in F1 basically panicked a couple of years ago about popularity after Bernie and his antics, hence drive to survive etc, and rule changes which is a good thing. The bad thing is they panicked about there not being a new champion and Merc dominance and so began the endless leniency toward Red Bull.

They never needed to do it. Max was always good enough to win, and they've now swung it so they're unbeatable this season.

adchester

A-1 From Day 1
F1 is definitely becoming WWE. You can't let a team pretend it broke the cost cap because it spent too much on sandwiches and expect your sport to be taken seriously. Do you think they know this or just have their heads so far up their own asses they can't see it?
Also the penalty for going over the cost cap is a fine lol like that makes a difference. The penalty for going over needs to be less development time/point penalties/something that the team would actually care about

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Also the penalty for going over the cost cap is a fine lol like that makes a difference. The penalty for going over needs to be less development time/point penalties/something that the team would actually care about

There's a range of options even for a minor breach icluding points deductions.

My guess is that they'll pretend to come down hard by deducting Red Bull points but not MV.

Wolfman21

what was the penalty for going over cost cap in previous years? Is this something where the FIA is showing leniency, or was the penalty always just a slap on the wrist and Red Bull/AM took advantage?

Wolfman21

Close racing between larson and Bubba, bubba tags the outside wall a bit after getting a bit squeezed coming off of 4.......slices down the track on the front stretch and right rears larson, they both get into the outside wall and Christopher Bell gets caught up in it. Then Bubba starts throwing punches on larson in the grass after they get out of the cars. Yikes

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
I'm glad he took Larson out. I bet Larson thinks twice next time they're together on the track.

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Car has to stay on top. Look at Vettel. Ferrari squandered his skill and now he's lucky to finish P8 on any given weekend.

Really wish F1 would open up the engine format. They make fun of Indycar for almost being a spec series, but they've never looked in a mirror.

Wolfman21

gotta think thats gonna change final corner battles for the remaining amount of time that this car is as sturdy as it is. If you're running 2nd, or hell, even 1st, next spring with someone close to you going into turn 3.......are you gonna just run the normal corner or are you gonna do that? I mean, his lap was almost 3 seconds faster than the leaders that lap...he gained 5 spots in one set of corners. I feel like you'd be a fool not to do it moving forward

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
That was the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever seen, and I’ve been watching racing for over 35 years, lol

Hollywood

Sun Drop Junkie
Mod Alumni
Nobody gives a fuck that Christopher Bell won, lol. Just keep Chastain on replay in the post-race.

Wolfman21

its been tried before...just never at a short track and never in a car as sturdy as this one. If nascar doesn't make a rule on it this offseason, gotta think someone(someones?) are gonna try it next year