• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Smeth's QB Breakdown Thread

smeth

So, I've been watching some Brandon Harris cut ups. And I had some clips from the Syracuse game this year that I wanted to show. Hopefully I have the time to breakdown some more of his throws and maybe some other QB's this off-season.

PLAY #1

2015-12-14.png

Here's Syracuse in a 2-high shell and all 3 LB's in the box. They're obviously afraid to empty the box because of Fournette but also afraid of only having 1 safety and playing cover 1/3 because of the speed of LSU's WR's and LSU's calling "4 VERTS" pretty often. The problem of course is that you can't do everything and in this instance, they leave a WR uncovered. A lot of offenses will have an automatic check to a bubble/tunnel screen or something like that. LSU doesn't really have that, but it's fine in this case because both WR's are running 6 yard hooks.

2015-12-14 (1).png

As you can see here, Dural is already making his break to come back to the football and you can see the yellow of Trey Quinn's helmet on the bottom of the screen. LSU also does a quick PA Fake to Fournette which freezes that Sam LB enough that he can't fly out in time and get underneath Dural's Hook. There is a safety over the top (not pictured) who ends up being in man coverage vs. Dural but because he starts at a very deep position and is afraid of Dural's speed, he is very far when Dural makes his break. So here we go: easy completion because defenses are so concerned with Leonard Fournette, right? LIKE LITERALLY I WOULD BLOW UP IF MY QB DIDN'T THROW TO DURAL RIGHT NOW

2015-12-14 (2).png

SO YA LEMME THROW TO TREY QUINN WHO WAS AGAINST PRESS MAN SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TIME.

He completes the throw, because of a really nice grab by Quinn but this is bad quarterbacking.

PLAY #2

Long yardage situation, so LSU lines up in a 2x2 set and runs 4 Verts. So, basically, all the WR's and the 1 TE is running down the field in a straight line.

2015-12-14 (3).png

'Cuse is playing off because of the long yardage situation. They end up in a cover 4 look, that you can't really see based on these pics BUT TRUSS MI DADDY.

2015-12-14 (4).png

You can see in the above pic that the Orange nickel/safetyman/wtv is starting to come down to play as the flat defender and the corner is bailing to get into deep quarters. And in the pic below, he's flat footed. If you're gonna throw to that seam WR, the ball has to be thrown now. Before the WR passes the defender. The seam is always a great place to throw the ball, when you throw the ball on time. Harris has trouble processing the reads/keys that the 2 safeties are giving him and this makes him late on his throw.

2015-12-14 (5).png

Here he is as he releases

2015-12-14 (6).png

And here he is getting Malachi Dupree murdered. This isn't the NFL, that seam window in college is open for a long ass time, especially on this play. I can show you clips of my QB (WHO IS NOT AN SEC STARTING QB) making that type of throw consistently.

2015-12-14 (7).png

smeth

The point I'm trying to make is that these aren't difficult throws. An SEC starting QB needs to be able to make them consistently.

Lightningwar

Administrator
What are the chances the SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEECCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC has two starting QBs with the last name of Harris sucking horribly?