• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Schauwn's Relegation Football Dynasty

Schauwn

And so it begins...

I've decided to play as Miami of Ohio for a couple of reasons. One, I've never played a dynasty with them, and two because they're one of the lower rated teams that's not in the bottom tier.

I'll have house rules in place to make it a little more challenging for me (hopefully).

If anyone is interested in the conference layout I can post it up, but what I essentially did was break it down by region. I took the top ten teams from each region to for the top tier, then the next 14 best teams, into tier two. That left one or two teams for each region to be in the Independent conference.

I think I'm using 2013 rosters, so I'll have Marcus Marriota at Oregon, Derek Carr at Fresno, etc. just to be clear when I start posting things about the Heisman race.

Next post will be about our recruiting board, schedule, and depth chart to start the year.

Schauwn

My first recruiting board of this dynasty looks as follows (I have 11 Sr's graduating this year, so I wont recruit more than 13 players this year. Also, I'm limiting myself, as a 1-star school, to recruiting just one 2-star player this year):

:star::star: - FB - Bobby Dickens (OH)
:star: - QB - Garrett Clark (OH)
:star: - P - Adam Hicks (OH)
:star: - DE - D.J. Gaither (OH)
:star: - FB - Brian Valentine (OH)
:star: - DE - Howard Wallace - (OH)
:star: - TE - Talib Cunningham - (MI)

I have zero FB on my roster at the moment, which doesn't bode well for the style of offense I'm looking to run. We'll have to make it work with our 3rd string TE, and possibly a bigger backup HB.

The 3 best players on offense are:
QB - Austin Boucher - 76 OVR
WR - Dawan Scott - 80 OVR
TE - Steve Marck - 81 OVR

The 3 best players on defense are:
LE - Wes Williams - 83 OVR
MLB - Chris Wade - 84 OVR
CB - Dayonne Nunley - 88 OVR

Our 2014 schedule is:
BYE
@ Kentucky (conf)
@ ECU
@ Cincinnati (conf) - RIVALRY
V Illinois (conf)
@ #24 Duke
@ #4 Michigan State
@ Purdue (conf)
V UAB
BYE
@ Memphis (conf)
V MTSU (conf)
V Western Kentucky (conf)
V Indiana (conf)

Schauwn

The Red Hawks are able to go into Kentucky and walk out with a 6-point victory, 19-13. My kicker was player of the game, if that tells you how that one went. I was able to move the ball between the 20's pretty easily, but Kentucky's defense would tighten up after that and I had to settle for 4 FGs. The lone TD was to my 2nd string TE, Dustin White.

Boucher went 14/24 with the 1 TD. 186 yds, and sacked twice, though I definitely felt hurried a handful of times and either had to throw it earlier than I wanted to or throw it away.

115 yards rushing on 32 attempts. I think I only had 1 or 2 runs go for more than 8 yards, and those were at the end of the game.

4 trips to the RedZone, only 1 TD. Goes to what I was saying about Kentucky's defense tightening up when I got down there.

A slider note, I probably should check the coaches aggressiveness before I go into the game. I thought Kentucky threw the ball a little too much and should have kept with the run game, which absolutely gashed me. Their starting RB had 80 yards on 9 attempts, including a 54 yard TD run late in the first half to put them up 10-9.

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
What offense are you running? Using your lone 2* this year on a full back seems like a gamble, unless you're running the flexbone or something. Even then I'd question it.

Schauwn

What offense are you running? Using your lone 2* this year on a full back seems like a gamble, unless you're running the flexbone or something. Even then I'd question it.
I am running a flexbone, that's why I want a decent FB back there.

Schauwn

Just got smacked by ECU, 34-13. I threw 4 picks, 2 of those were in the 4th quarter when I was trying to get back in the game.

Schauwn

After getting thumped by ECU, I'm able to turn it around and beat Cincy on the road, 24-17. I was able to run the ball effectively enough to play keep away and keep their offense off the field.

The following recruits have committed to Miami after the win over Cincy:
:star: - P - Adam Hicks (OH)
:star: - FB - Brian Valentine (OH)
:star: - DE - D.J. Gaither (OH)

First home game of the season is coming up as Illinois comes to town. Illinois is coming off a huge road win over Clemson who was ranked #9 in the country. (Clemson gon' Clemson).

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
What are your commits overall ratings? I think 1* guys are usually low 50s, but maybe you found some gems? Gonna be hard to build a program that way.

Schauwn

What are your commits overall ratings? I think 1* guys are usually low 50s, but maybe you found some gems? Gonna be hard to build a program that way.
I'm still scouting them, they're 50% complete and they're low 60s. I think 61 is the lowest (DE) and 64 is highest (FB). Not scouting until they're committed is one of the house rules I'm using to make it a little harder to build them up.

Schauwn

Barely walk away with a win at Duke, 28-24. I was able to score with 25 seconds left to take the lead. Duke immediately got to midfield on a play and a facemask penalty. One more play took them to the 30 with 12 seconds left. I was able to get a sack on the next play, leaving 5 seconds left, and the Duke hail mary fell incomplete in the endzone with no time left.

Schauwn

Still trying to settle on an offense that keeps me engaged, but isn't OP. I was able to beat Duke with a spread option playbook, so I changed it up after that game back to a old-school TO and got some more realistic results. I'm not in front of my xbox right now so I'll update this to be more accurate later.

UAB - W
Michigan State - L
???? - L

Schauwn

To update, my 3 games, after Duke have been:

@Michigan State - L - 7-23
@Purdue - L - 28-42 (I couldn't stop their passing game)
UAB - W - 37-20 (I scored first, and then went pick-6 on their first play on offense, it wasn't ever close after that).

My final 4 games of the season are:

@ Memphis (0-7)
MTSU (4-2)
#12 Western Kentucky (6-0)
Indiana (3-3)

I'm currently 4th in the division and 5th in the conference.

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
So how does your promo/rele work? How many move up/down? Any shot at the division still, or are you out of the running?

Schauwn

So how does your promo/rele work? How many move up/down? Any shot at the division still, or are you out of the running?
I'm all but eliminated from the division, if I somehow managed to win the rest of my games, the team in first place would have to lose 3 of their last 4 and that's not to mention the other teams between us.

I haven't settled on promo/rele yet...there were a few different options I saw on OS. To me it makes the most sense to do it every other season so the same teams aren't bouncing up and down. Any ideas?

joshuahuskers

Utopia Football League
Every other year is tough, because then you're not rewarded/punished for one really good or really bad year, unless you do it on some sort of average of two years or something. I would personally take the top 2 from the lower tier and move them up, but that's just me. It'd be cool if you could take the conference champ up, then have a "playoff" between #2 and #3 to determine the 2nd promotion spot, but that would entail modifying the bowl games, which would be extra work.

Schauwn

Every other year is tough, because then you're not rewarded/punished for one really good or really bad year, unless you do it on some sort of average of two years or something. I would personally take the top 2 from the lower tier and move them up, but that's just me. It'd be cool if you could take the conference champ up, then have a "playoff" between #2 and #3 to determine the 2nd promotion spot, but that would entail modifying the bowl games, which would be extra work.
Yeah, I'm not really wanting to go into the modding aspect. I was wanting to avoid the issue of the top team from a lower division going up, and then getting beat up their first season and being relegated the next season, and going back and forth. I might promote/relegate every year, but give teams that are promoted, a one year pass to avoid that problem?

Schauwn

Despite throwing 4! INTs and being mostly picked apart by Paxton Lynch all game, I was able to pick him off twice and win @Memphis 21-16.

We traded field goals on our first two possessions, only to be followed by the first of 4 INTs from me. This let Memphis go down and score a TD, making it 10-3. However, I was able to add a FG and a TD before the half to make it 13-10. The third quarter was scoreless and neither one of us scored again until late in the 4th when I was able to score a TD and convert the 2-point conversion to take a 21-10 lead. Memphis did score again, but failed on their 2-point conversion, and then failed to recover the onside kick, effectively ending the game.

- It's become painfully obvious how not having any difference makers on offense is really hurting me. Maybe once a game I'm able to bust a run for more than 10 yards, I was able to get 2 such runs in this game. However, with these sliders, it's usually 1-3 yards per carry, and versus elite teams (Mich St) I was lucky to get back to the LOS.
- My QB is a left as well, which throws me off. At least once a game, I'll call a roll-out play to the right which seems to really keep him from making an accurate throw.
- My best player is my WR, who showed off for a few big catches in this game, ending up with an average of 15 yards per catch, and 1 TD.

Schauwn

Can you explain the relegation / promotion thing? I'm a noob.
I've set up the conferences in such a way that I have 3 tiers for 4 regions. At the end of each season, I'll swap the lowest team in tier 1, with the highest team in tier 2. I'll also swap the lowest team in tier 2 with the highest team in tier 3, that is in the same region.

Schauwn

Overall record, with conference Conference record, with overall record being the tie-breaker.

EDIT: After looking at things at the end of the season, I want conference record to hold more weight than overall.

Last edited:

Schauwn

Season 1 is over.

- We finished the season 8-4 (6-2), good enough for second in our division.
- Trey Mason won the Heisman.
- We're playing in the Cotton Bowl vs #23 South Carolina.
- My starting QB, Austin Boucher, finished the season 156-241, 1850yds, 12TD, 11INT
- My starting RB, Spencer Treadwell, finished the season with 685 yards on 115 attempts for 5.9 ypc average and 6 TDs.

Now, for the promotion/demotion part of this:

- West Virginia will be demoted (2-7 in conference), and taking their place will be Army. Army finished 8-1 in conference play and won the conference championship.
- Vanderbilt will be demoted (0-9 in conference), and taking their place will be Western Kentucky. WKU finished 8-1 in conference play (their only loss was to us) and they won the conference championship as well.
- Arkansas will be demoted (0-9 in conference), and taking their place will be Iowa State. Iowa State finished 7-2 in conference play, and won their conference championship.
- Interesting result in the SEC, where both Georgia and Mississippi State both finished with 1-8 conference records, and 3-9 overall records. Luckily, for Miss St, they won the head-to-head, 30-27. So Georgia will be demoted. Taking their place will be Ole Miss, who finished with a 8-1 conference record, and won the conference championship.
- California will be demoted (0-9 in conference), and taking their place will be Utah State. Utah State finished with a 8-1 record in conference play, and won the conference championship.
- Western Michigan (1-7, 1-11 overall) will be demoted and replaced with Eastern Michigan. Western Michigan will now be in Tier 3.
- UTSA (1-7, 2-10 overall) will be demoted and replaced with Texas State. UTSA will now be in Tier 3.

Schauwn

Welp. Lost our bowl game on a last-second FG by South Carolina, 34-33.

It was a tough game. I got down 14-0 early, but was able to work my way back and take the lead, but I left too much time on the clock. South Carolina was able to get past midfield pretty quickly, and with just a couple seconds left they were able to kick the game winning field goal.

Schauwn

Starting our second season. We are now a 2* prestige school and ranked #65 in the preseason rankings. We're picked to finish second in our division, behind a strong Cincinnati team.

Preseason awards include:
1st team All-conference, Josh Dooley (MLB)
1st team All-conference, Jay Mastin (SS)
1st team All-conference, Kaleb Patterson (K)
2nd team All-conference, Mwanza Wamalumba (DT)
2nd team All-conference, Brison Burris (CB)

Our schedule for the year is as follows:
@ #1 Florida State
Iowa State
@ #15 Michigan
Cincinnati
Ball State
@ San Jose State
@ Illinois
BYE
@ Vanderbilt
BYE
@ Mid Tenn State