• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Rutgers MikeLeachFU.gif talks Rutgers

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Darius Hamilton announced that he will return to Rutgers next season no matter who the coach is. Previously he had said he would only play for Coach Flood

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
A lot of rumors swirling around Rutgers and the future of the HC and the AD, and I have no clue what to make of it.

In good news, Rutgers' women's soccer team advanced to the Final 4, by beating #1 Virginia on penalty kicks.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Flood probably gets another year unless a new AD is hired quickly.

I agree it's not a good situation, but keeping Flood is untenable. I don't like the idea of an interim AD or a committee making the HC hire, but I don't want Flood here any longer, and you can't wait until February when a new AD is in place to make a change. This isn't even an Illinois situation where you can give Norries Wilson a short deal either.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Interim AD is Patrick Hobbs, Ombudsman for the Governor's office of NJ. He is a former Dean of the Seton Hall Law school, and also served as an interim AD for Seton Hall from 2009-2011.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
david-cohen.jpg

Coming home....I'm coming home....let the world know I'm coming home. :trollface::laughing:

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
They won't go this route, but I'd love to see Todd Monken come to Piscataway. I'd put Dino Babers on a shortlist. Doug Meacham. Your guy Bob Diaco would be on there. Matt Rhule, but he seems like he will cost too much. I don't really want to go the retread route and those are the names I hear a lot. Golden, Christobal, Schiano.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
OLB Steve Longa declares for the draft. Very good athlete, needs better coaching. Would have liked to see him play in Ash's system for a year.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
My Prediction: 6-6

Rutgers has a tough schedule with the usual Big Ten East teams, plus Iowa as a crossover game and Washington out of conference, but I think they can find 6 wins on this schedule

9/3: @ Washington
9/10: vs Howard
9/17: vs New Mexico
9/24: vs Iowa
10/1: @ Ohio State
10/8: vs Michigan
10/15: vs Illinois
10/22: @ Minnesota
11/5: vs Indiana
11/12: @ MSU
11/19: vs PSU
11.26: @ Maryland

Gotta beat New Mexico and Howard. I like our chances against Illinois, Indiana and Maryland. Try and split Minnesota and Penn State, or maybe steal one somewhere.

Rutgers is switching it's offense to the Tom Herman power spread. A lof of tempo type stuff. Laviano is back at QB, but I'm more confident in him doing the job based on limited training camp coverage then I was last year with the way stuff with him getting the job over Rettig and all the Flood nonsense. Fact is, Flood wasn't committed to being a high major college coach. He didn't want to put in the 16+ hour days. Mini rant over.

I like what Rutgers has at RB. Rob Martin and Josh Hicks combined for 1437 yards on 271 carries and 10 TDs last year. Justin Goodwin beat both out to be named opening day starter.

Receivers isn't what it used to be. We don't have a Sanu or Carroo or Britt out there, but we have some depth. If Janarion Grant can make the catches, he can have a big year, as he's an explosive return man. Have 2 other senior starters in Andre Patton and Carlton Agudosi, but somebody needs to step up. Rutgers doesn't have any great TEs on the roster, but they have a couple guys who can help.

I like Rutgers' OLine. We've got 4 starters back, with 3 of them 5th year seniors. Tariq Cole is the new starter at LT and he's gotten some praise on BTN. How's the depth? Unproven.

DLine is the strength of the defense. We've got 3 5th year seniors starting, with Darius Hamilton coming back from injury, and Julian Pinnix-Odrick moving back to DE. I'm glad Rutgers is going back to a more traditional 4-3, instead of the hybrid 4-3/3-4 bullshit they had done the last few years.

Linebacker is a weak spot. We've got 1 career start among 15 LBs on the roster. Trial by fire.

Defensive Backs are less of a concern than in previous years. I don't want to go on another rant, but Defensive Backs have been a trainwreck at Rutgers since the 2012 season when you had guys like Ryan and Harmon and Cooper back there. A lot of bad influences in the room, lead to a lot of problems with the team. This year we at least have 4 guys who started last year back, and hopefully better schemes with Ash mostly working with the defense in training camp.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Not sure if you saw this: http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...rutgers-football-2016-preview-schedule-roster

I think there are 3 for sure wins (Howard, New Mexico, Illinois) and 4 for sure losses (UDub, OSU, Michigan, MSU). The rest are toss ups. Minnesota, Maryland, and Iowa are games I think they have a better chance in. I think they lose to Indiana, partially because I want IU to be good and also because Ash struggled with their offense with way more talent at Ohio State, so at least this year their D will have trouble. But there's always the chance the IU goes full Hoosier and implodes, as you saw last year. I think they could spring an upset on Iowa. Yeah, they won 12 games last year but they're pretty much the same team every year. I'll have to make a judgement on Minny later on; they could either be 5-7 or 9-3. Maryland will be tough, I think they have more talent that Rutgers. But their QB situation is dog shit and if Rutgers gets together at the end of the year, they could easily win. I say 5-7 or 6-6, depending on whether they beat IU or upset somebody.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
But seriously, I see only 2 for sure wins on that schedule (Howard and New Mexico). Definitely a lot of toss ups, i.e., everybody but Michigan, OSU, MSU, and Washington (although I wouldn't be surprised to put Penn State here by the time they play), but those are at best 50/50 for Rutgers. I think 6-6 is more or less the best case scenario for Rutgers. They'll probably be underdogs in 8 games, maybe 10 depending on how the season goes. 6-6 would be a hell of a year.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
That's a good link. Good insight.

Yeah, things could definitely go either way with Indiana, but they lost a lot from last year. New QB, new RB, Lost all 4 starters on the DLine. Wilson got outcoached by Elmer Flood twice. Rob Martin hates Indiana, etc. You may be right about it being a bad matchup, but it's not like Indiana could stop Rutgers offense the last 2 years either. Rutgers averaged 207 yards passing per game last year, and got 386 vs Indiana, was also a yard per carry higher vs Indiana. Year before, same thing with the rush ypc. Also our defense played completely awful against them last year, and our best player got hurt, and we still beat them.

I would feel a lot better about Rutgers offense, if they had that one sure thing at wide receiver.

Either way, I grew up with the shittiest era of Rutgers football. 11-33 when I was in High school, 7-38 when I was in college. I can deal with it.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
But seriously, I see only 2 for sure wins on that schedule (Howard and New Mexico). Definitely a lot of toss ups, i.e., everybody but Michigan, OSU, MSU, and Washington (although I wouldn't be surprised to put Penn State here by the time they play), but those are at best 50/50 for Rutgers. I think 6-6 is more or less the best case scenario for Rutgers. They'll probably be underdogs in 8 games, maybe 10 depending on how the season goes. 6-6 would be a hell of a year.

If you say so.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
The Michigan Alumni club in Albany is doing an away tailgate at Rutgers. The only way to participate in the tailgate (because the club is run by morons) was to purchase a three-game pack which included Michigan which cost $177 and then the price for tailgate was another $25. $202 to see Michigan play Rutgers and then hold tickets to two games that I can't dump on the open market for close to face value. I'll watch the game on ESPN2 with Pam Ward or BTN with Matt Millen, thank you.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
The Michigan Alumni club in Albany is doing an away tailgate at Rutgers. The only way to participate in the tailgate (because the club is run by morons) was to purchase a three-game pack which included Michigan which cost $177 and then the price for tailgate was another $25. $202 to see Michigan play Rutgers and then hold tickets to two games that I can't dump on the open market for close to face value. I'll watch the game on ESPN2 with Pam Ward or BTN with Matt Millen, thank you.

You can by single game tickets through Rutgers. You might not like the price though.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
If you say so.

Exactly which teams on that schedule does Rutgers have more talent than? Definitely Howard and New Mexico. Besides that, maybe Illinois or Indiana, but that's it. Everything other team is even at best. Hell, Colorado's 4 year recruiting rankings are higher than Rutgers. Ash doesn't have some miracle system on either side of the ball that's going to make up for that. He could be a major upgrade on Flood and still only win 4 games.

They definitely aren't Purdue, but they have a big hole to dig out of. Thinking you'll go 6-6 in the first year of doing that against that schedule is wishful.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
Exactly which teams on that schedule does Rutgers have more talent than? Definitely Howard and New Mexico. Besides that, maybe Illinois or Indiana, but that's it. Everything other team is even at best. Hell, Colorado's 4 year recruiting rankings are higher than Rutgers. Ash doesn't have some miracle system on either side of the ball that's going to make up for that. He could be a major upgrade on Flood and still only win 4 games.

They definitely aren't Purdue, but they have a big hole to dig out of. Thinking you'll go 6-6 in the first year of doing that against that schedule is wishful.

Flood was a clown and he was able to win 8 games 2 years ago. Rutgers should have won 7 last year if he wasn't a clown. The defense was dirt worst in division 1-a last year. It's not gonna be better? The offense is going to be worse?

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
No, I'm saying that they don't get to play Kansas, Norfolk State, and Army again. They could be better but still be 4-8 or even 3-9. If you assume 6 of their games are toss ups right now, so if you just assume 3-3 in those games, that's 5-7. In reality, those games are probably actually more 40-60 for Rutgers to lose, because they have a slight talent disadvantage against everybody but Indiana and Illinois, and those are pretty still pretty even. Plus, installing a quarters defense with the 118th ranked pass efficiency defense is not a recipe for success. All of that reads like a 3-9 or 4-8 type season.

I'm really not saying they'll be dogshit next year. They'll probably show signs of being on the uptick, because it would be hard not to. But the schedule doesn't set up well to go 6-6. They're battling Maryland and Indiana for the worst team in the Big Ten east. They're not battling Penn State for being middle of the pack.

Rutgers Mike

Dr. Sad
I don't agree that Rutgers has a talent disadvantage against Minnesota or Maryland or Illinois or Indiana. Penn State, maybe. Iowa, yeah. But not Maryland and their 29 interception throwing QBs and not Minnesota and their HC who's biggest accompishment is eating a dilly bar in a snow storm. And I sure as hell think Chris Ash can out coach Tracy Claeys and DJ Durkin. We'll just have to agree to disagree though, and you can see your way out of this thread please.