• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Rules Infractions/Gameplay complaints

SandS2910

Yeah, the original rule was for incomplete passes and or plays resulting in negative yardage. I played the way I did against @TXHusker05 cuz I thought he had broken that rule on his first drive against me.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Yeah, the original rule was for incomplete passes and or plays resulting in negative yardage. I played the way I did against @TXHusker05 cuz I thought he had broken that rule on his first drive against me.

I don't remember any time where we had a negative play aspect to the no huddle rule in Utopia ODs, only clock stoppages inside of two minutes and incomplete passes.

From what I can tell, @Walter323 copy and pasted my original Powerhouse rules and made a few tweaks when he re-posted them, but the current no huddle rule is exactly the same as my original rule. That original no huddle rule was copied from @NavyHog's BSCFL and CUSA rules when I started up Powerhouse. The wording is different but the rule itself is the same. As far as I can remember that's been the only no huddle rule we've had in any Utopia ODs.

Regardless, I think the clock stoppage part of the rule should be removed as well with only incomplete passes forcing a huddle. I had multiple games this season where people seemed to think I was no huddling illegally when I wasn't at any point.

SandS2910

I don't remember any time where we had a negative play aspect to the no huddle rule in Utopia ODs, only clock stoppages inside of two minutes and incomplete passes.

From what I can tell, @Walter323 copy and pasted my original Powerhouse rules and made a few tweaks when he re-posted them, but the current no huddle rule is exactly the same as my original rule. That original no huddle rule was copied from @NavyHog's BSCFL and CUSA rules when I started up Powerhouse. The wording is different but the rule itself is the same. As far as I can remember that's been the only no huddle rule we've had in any Utopia ODs.

Regardless, I think the clock stoppage part of the rule should be removed as well with only incomplete passes forcing a huddle. I had multiple games this season where people seemed to think I was no huddling illegally when I wasn't at any point.
No worries

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

bluejay13

Why was the new rule regarding not allowing defensive lineman to be manually controlled while dropping back into pass coverage enacted? I usually play a 4-3 with a defensive lineman so this is concerning regarding zone blitzes. Users call slide protection to the defensive lineman I am controlling so I have countered by running a zone blitz where the defensive lineman drops into pass coverage that I user control. I do this because I can blitz away from the protection that's centered on me. We are all legit players on this board and you guys know I am so I was just scratching my head to why this rule is put into play.

Akecheta

Question that isn't covered in the rules thread. Do you warnings/punishments carry over year to year or say You're playing the CPU and take a 35 point lead before half and sim the rest of the game and the CPU breaks 70. You get a warning. If you finish he year good to go, but the following season get caught up in a game and break 70 is that now your 2nd violation?

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Why was the new rule regarding not allowing defensive lineman to be manually controlled while dropping back into pass coverage enacted? I usually play a 4-3 with a defensive lineman so this is concerning regarding zone blitzes. Users call slide protection to the defensive lineman I am controlling so I have countered by running a zone blitz where the defensive lineman drops into pass coverage that I user control. I do this because I can blitz away from the protection that's centered on me. We are all legit players on this board and you guys know I am so I was just scratching my head to why this rule is put into play.

I think there's a clause in the rule that you must hot route the DL before taking control. I'd say it's fair game as long as you're rushing two.

bluejay13

I think there's a clause in the rule that you must hot route the DL before taking control. I'd say it's fair game as long as you're rushing two.
I'm talking like a standard zone blitz with no hot routes at all. Say the DE is assigned to the flat on the blitz and I would user control him to his assignment. I do this because the opposing user would slide protect to the DE I am usering so I drop back to take the flat while the blitz comes from the other side.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
I've always had heartburn with manual DL drops from all the lobby ball game I've played.

I would be willing to allow it if the manual DL didn't drop any further than a MAX of 8 yds from the LOS. I don't want to see some DL chasing WR down the field. It also shouldn't be a staple of ones pass coverage. I don't see a lot of this in the college FB I watch.

bluejay13

I've always had heartburn with manual DL drops from all the lobby ball game I've played.

I would be willing to allow it if the manual DL didn't drop any further than a MAX of 8 yds from the LOS. I don't want to see some DL chasing WR down the field. It also shouldn't be a staple of ones pass coverage. I don't see a lot of this in the college FB I watch.

I usually just look to scare the opponent from throwing the short routes like slants and drags. Plus none of us really play lobby ball here any way so why do it just pop up now?

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
I usually just look to scare the opponent from throwing the short routes like slants and drags. Plus none of us really play lobby ball here any way so why do it just pop up now?

It's been a long standing rule and at some point it disappeared. No one really does it but you, And you probably only do it a handful of times per game.

I will leave it up to the commish to rule @Walter323

bluejay13

http://www.nutopiasports.com/forum/index.php?threads/bscfl-rules.200/

In the BSCFL rules(I know they aren't the same league) under rule 11 it says:

11) All shifts are allowed when dealing with the defense. You can crash the line, bump in run, shift the LB's left or right. You can also hot route your defense whenever you want as well. You are not allowed to move any DL-man, either laterally or vertically, manually before the snap. After the snap feel free to move him back into coverage.

Just conflicts with it being long-standing

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
http://www.nutopiasports.com/forum/index.php?threads/bscfl-rules.200/

In the BSCFL rules(I know they aren't the same league) under rule 11 it says:

11) All shifts are allowed when dealing with the defense. You can crash the line, bump in run, shift the LB's left or right. You can also hot route your defense whenever you want as well. You are not allowed to move any DL-man, either laterally or vertically, manually before the snap. After the snap feel free to move him back into coverage.

Just conflicts with it being long-standing

I will change the rule, but for now feel free to do it if:

1) Drop no more than 8 yards back
2) Don't make it an every down concept

Akecheta

http://www.nutopiasports.com/forum/index.php?threads/qb-play…-to-scramble-or-not-to-scramble.1619/

Relevant quote from @NavyHog

I agree that there is a fine line between what is SIM and UNSIM. It is subjective and everyone has a different interpretation. While not specifically spelled out in the rules – it is frowned upon if one continually rolls one way or another to pass or run. It’s going to happen, I do it from time to time if everyone is covered (or maybe I’m not seeing the field well), but it shouldn’t be hike, sprint right or left and then throw or run. In real football the zone is going to adjust to the QB closing down half the field of play, in “our version” the zone doesn’t change no matter what.

In summary: It’s okay from time to time, it’s always okay to run if everyone is covered. It’s not okay to drop back to pass with the intention of running. Also I appreciate you guys coming on here and discussing the matter with a degree of civility and respect.. It's a game, and while we do play to win, it should be for fun and not "super serious".

Not sure if we play by this or not in powerhouse[/Quote]

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Yeah, the problem is that it's definitely premeditated. The only way you can stop it is if you set your DE to contain and even then, I'm not sure if that works with how dumb this game can be. He immediately scrambles right and throws the wheel. I never saw him scramble on any other play.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Playing Devils Advocate - there are designed sprint outs in "real football" and in this game. I think its okay 2-3 times a game. Its one of those gray areas. It shouldn't be a core part if ones offense.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Playing Devils Advocate - there are designed sprint outs in "real football" and in this game. I think its okay 2-3 times a game. Its one of those gray areas. It shouldn't be a core part if ones offense.

He's only run it once. I'm ok right now.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator

Yeah, but you can also edge pressure or contain to combat that in real life. That doesn't work in the game.

Akecheta

Yeah, but you can also edge pressure or contain to combat that in real life. That doesn't work in the game.

Well against Rando I had success blitzing LB's inside and DL hot route to contain on the side he rushes to most commonly.

TNBassMan10

I'm in chat with him... He said he called engage 8
No lie after you had run the ball 8 straight plays I said in party chat, "I'm about to do something I never do. Engage 8."

It worked. You ran play action against an engage eight! I don't know how to nano blitz.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator

The thread @Akecheta linked above has my thoughts on the subject but I'll summarize them here.

I think any scramble in the tackle box is fair game. If someone is dropping 8 into coverage and there is a hole, step up and run as much as you want. If you're scrambling/sprinting out beyond the tackle box, you need to commit to either running or passing.

The most infuriating thing someone can do is sprint straight to the boundary, act as if they are going to run and then throw it when you take control of a defender to step up and make a tackle. That's trash. It is impossible to defend in game, contain is not effective and CPU defenders just don't "think" and adjust accordingly as the pocket shifts and the quarterback leaves the zone.

I personally run some designed sprintouts in my offense off of Z Spot and Sprintout Smash, both have the red designed QB rollout animations, but the ball is typically out before I even get beyond the tackle.

Long story short, if you sprint out of the tackle box, either set up to pass and throw to a receiver (or throw it away) or just keep running the ball.

TNBassMan10

The thread @Akecheta linked above has my thoughts on the subject but I'll summarize them here.

I think any scramble in the tackle box is fair game. If someone is dropping 8 into coverage and there is a hole, step up and run as much as you want. If you're scrambling/sprinting out beyond the tackle box, you need to commit to either running or passing.

The most infuriating thing someone can do is sprint straight to the boundary, act as if they are going to run and then throw it when you take control of a defender to step up and make a tackle. That's trash. It is impossible to defend in game, contain is not effective and CPU defenders just don't "think" and adjust accordingly as the pocket shifts and the quarterback leaves the zone.

I personally run some designed sprintouts in my offense off of Z Spot and Sprintout Smash, both have the red designed QB rollout animations, but the ball is typically out before I even get beyond the tackle.

Long story short, if you sprint out of the tackle box, either set up to pass and throw to a receiver (or throw it away) or just keep running the ball.
I did set up to pass. No way on QBA on 5 w my QB he can even throw that pass deep if he's on the run.

I ran right, stopped, took a step or two (not running) and chucked it deep.

GG JSU. Had fun.

TNBassMan10

This is NOT what I did but IMO this is what football, especially college, is today.

Tennessee Auburn Oregon (even the Titans) Ark State Baylor Ohio State etc etc etc all do this from time to time.

Once again, this is not what I did as I ran straight right, still 5 yards or so behind the line, took a step or two (not running--just setting my feet) and threw it.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
This is NOT what I did but IMO this is what football, especially college, is today.

Tennessee Auburn Oregon (even the Titans) Ark State Baylor Ohio State etc etc etc all do this from time to time.

Once again, this is not what I did as I ran straight right, still 5 yards or so behind the line, took a step or two (not running--just setting my feet) and threw it.

I still get nightmares from this. *shudder*

You're fine. The league has said its ok in moderation.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator

You can't go five minutes on a Saturday during the season without seeing quarterbacks moving all over the place and launching stuff, but the game doesn't know how to properly defend that. Contain doesn't work and CPU controlled defensive players don't move with the QB as he leaves the pocket.

Even just in that Nick Marshall play, you can see all the defenders closing on the play but one of them got caught peeking and it led to a big play. In game, no one on the defense will widen with the quarterback so it is just way too easy to exploit it.

Like I said though, as long as you're setting up to throw, I don't see anything wrong with it. Just make sure you aren't then running the ball after you set up to throw. Either keep running or set and throw. If the receiver isn't there, throw it away. I should probably use sprint outs more myself, I half roll off of PA some but that's usually it.

guardman23

Then you get the power run put on you I would sign one or Two every year for the few pro style teams that are left

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I suggest we tweak sliders to turn down run blocking. @Walter323 was able to run at will against 9 man boxes. Husker was able to do the same.

I think a lot of the defensive fronts we're using is due to the run game being OP for the shotgun.

Flanntastic

NCAA Moderator
I suggest we tweak sliders to turn down run blocking. @Walter323 was able to run at will against 9 man boxes. Husker was able to do the same.

I think a lot of the defensive fronts we're using is due to the run game being OP for the shotgun.
I have said this for two seasons, tackling needs increased. I hit the cpu qb in the backfield and he breaks tackles

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk 2

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I have said this for two seasons, tackling needs increased. I hit the cpu qb in the backfield and he breaks tackles

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk 2

In my case, that wasn't an issue. It was 2nd level defenders not attacking the line of scrimmage and literally taking themselves out of the play by turning the opposite direction. Or they would get completely killed by a blocker with no chance. Often, one blocker would take two guys out of the play.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Run blocking is an issue, stone hand defenders dropping INTs is an issue, a lot of issues.

My biggest gripe the last 3 yrs is the inability of the DE to set the edge. It just rarely happens.

We will take a look at some of this in the off season.