• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Rose Bowl - Southern Cal vs Penn State - Jan 2, 2017

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong

giphy.gif

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Random thoughts from last night:
  • Well, that certainly was a fun one.
  • Sucks to not hold onto the 4th quarter lead, especially with being such a stellar 4th quarter team all year, but them's the breaks.
  • Sam Darnold was incredible, and those receivers were awesome. Honest question: is Tee Martin getting any buzz for an HC job?
  • Man, it's so much fun watching Saquon Barkley play. I know it's probably an understatement, but it's just the best way to describe it.
  • McSorely is such a roller coaster. So many "WHAT ARE YOU DOING MY GOD WHAT TEAM ARE YOU PLAYING FOR WHAT AN INCREDIBLE THROW!" plays.
  • I know the defense got lit up last night, but it was truly just getting beaten for the most part. Several great catches by USC players where they just made plays. Same can be said for several big plays for PSU's offense. Sometimes it just happens, and it lead to a great shootout.
  • Loved the decision to be aggressive with the ball back and 1:09 to go, but I was confused with the running play on 1st down and the time wasted.
  • Really, really, really glad that Adoree Jackson seems to be okay. That one looked gross.
  • What was up with the field last night? Guys were slipping all over the place in a Winston like fashion.
  • Pass rush was decent for PSU, but Darnold was awesome in using his feet to set up throws. Really impressed.
  • I honestly have no idea what the officials were doing last night. So many calls that just didn't make a ton of sense, but I guess they need their shine too. Ron Cherry has taught them well.
  • I've never had as much fun rooting for a team in any sport as I did for PSU football this year. I'm sure it's due to several reasons. Most notably that I removed the people out of my life who are JoeBots. I don't spend nearly as much time on PSU message boards, and I'm better for it. I spent far less time watching College Gameday and other shows where they kept trying to play up some kind of redemption angle. You don't "redeem" a program after the atrocities that were committed by it. No amount of winning will take away what Jerry Sandusky did, and Paterno, et al were complicit in covering up.
  • There is a 0.0% chance that the 2017 season will be as entertaining. Expectations will be far too high to actually enjoy the season.
  • However, I'd love nothing more than to see a rematch in next year's Rose Bowl as a CFP semifinal.
-YTC

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
I am whitey, on all those points. Well said.

Well, other than the one at about "never having more fun rooting for a team than this Penn State team." Doesn't really apply to me. :Winking:

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Pretty much what @whiteyc_77 said, but I'll add the part about Tee Martin.

In haven't heard that he's been getting buzz about a possible HC jerb, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he will be getting calls in the next few months. Ditto for Helton at some NFL jerbs.

Quite a turnaround from the beginning of the year when many felt that they would be homeless (or at least unemployed) at year's end as the Trojan offense looked like total dogshit. Amazing what finding the best USC quarterback since Palmer can do for you. Regarding Darnold - hard to imagine just how much he means to the team. With the same exact players, Max Browne (a former #1 QB prospect in the country as a high schooler) couldn't complete a pass to anything that didn't have grass on it.

That really was a fun one. I haven't yelled and screamed so much since the election on November 8th the 2005 Notre Dame game.