• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Rose Bowl - Southern Cal vs Penn State - Jan 2, 2017

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
Both of these teams are being touted as 2 of the hottest teams in the country. Both of these teams are on long winning streaks (17 straight between them). Both of these teams have faced 2 decent teams each during their respective streaks.

Interesting info:
  • Penn State faced 9 bowl teams in 13 games. USC faced 5 bowl teams in 12 games.
  • USC is really good in limiting plays of 10+ and 20+ yards (top 15 nationally in each), but are one of the worst in allowing plays of 30+ (74th nationally). PSU is top 7 nationally in plays of 20+, 30+ and 40+ yards.
  • Against FBS teams with winning records, both offenses are nearly identical in total yards. However, PSU averages scoring 12 PPG more against those teams.
  • PSU has faced 2 top 40 passing offenses this year (USC is #38). In those 2 games (Indiana and Purdue), PSU allowed 63% completion and allowed its 2 highest passing yardage totals for the season (average of 320 yards). If not for 9 turnovers by those two teams...
  • Tyler Davis is perfect for his career (over a season and a half) on kicks that have crossed the line of scrimmage. His only misses have been blocks.
  • Big discrepancy in time of possession: PSU is #101, USC is #30.
  • Big discrepancy in 3rd down conversions: PSU is #121, and USC is #16.
I'm sure I'll dig some more fun with stats, but it should be a great one.

-YTC

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
279.gif

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
Yeah, my fault in starting this thread. I forgot that the new schtick is to not provide any insightful analysis in the CFB section.

-YTC

Haven't watched much of Penn State this year, other than some of their Ohio State game, and then much of the Wisconsin CCG.

As far as SC, since Sam Darnold took over the QB reins, the transformation from how they looked early in the season has been night and day. They actually look, you know - good - now. I can't recall an SC player in recent memory whose inclusion (or exclusion) to the lineup has had such dramatic results, including Reggie Bush. Bush was just icing on the cake for an already ridiculously talented team. Darnold IS the damn cake. When Max Browne started the season, we looked like dog diarrhea. Couldn't run, could pass, couldn't defend. Or more precisely - our defense was okay, but because the offense continually went 3 and out, by the middle of the 3rd quarter, they were gassed, and then you get @JAR201166's favorite mindless mantra, as well as the (now excruciating) last minute loss against Utah when we had them beat. Browne, for a guy who was the #1 HS QB prospect in the country when he was recruited, looked absolutely horrible. Indecisive, slow as fuck, making bad throws, the whole nine yards (well, more like -3 yards, incomplete, and a punt). Darnold has turned the team around. His ability to make first downs with his feet (more in the manner of Russell Wilson than in the manner of Michael Vick) opens up the offense such that we now actually play power football with our big O-line. And of course, having the offense stay on the field longer has immensely helped the defense, who have been excellent in the last several games.

So - should be an entertaining game. I'm also glad it's a traditional Pac12-B1G matchup.

TrojanMan

Pink Panther
Mod Alumni
Haven't watched much of Penn State this year, other than some of their Ohio State game, and then much of the Wisconsin CCG.

As far as SC, since Sam Darnold took over the QB reins, the transformation from how they looked early in the season has been night and day. They actually look, you know - good - now. I can't recall an SC player in recent memory whose inclusion (or exclusion) to the lineup has had such dramatic results, including Reggie Bush. Bush was just icing on the cake for an already ridiculously talented team. Darnold IS the damn cake. When Max Browne started the season, we looked like dog diarrhea. Couldn't run, could pass, couldn't defend. Or more precisely - our defense was okay, but because the offense continually went 3 and out, by the middle of the 3rd quarter, they were gassed, and then you get @JAR201166's favorite mindless mantra, as well as the (now excruciating) last minute loss against Utah when we had them beat. Browne, for a guy who was the #1 HS QB prospect in the country when he was recruited, looked absolutely horrible. Indecisive, slow as fuck, making bad throws, the whole nine yards (well, more like -3 yards, incomplete, and a punt). Darnold has turned the team around. His ability to make first downs with his feet (more in the manner of Russell Wilson than in the manner of Michael Vick) opens up the offense such that we now actually play power football with our big O-line. And of course, having the offense stay on the field longer has immensely helped the defense, who have been excellent in the last several games.

So - should be an entertaining game. I'm also glad it's a traditional Pac12-B1G matchup.

Agree with your assessment of Darnold's impact. Jesus should take a year off and let us celebrate the 'birth' of the Darnold Era this Christmas.

I think it's obvious to anyone under 400 lbs that had Darnold started from day 1, that 52-6 scoreline against Bama would've been reversed. @JAR201166

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
I see Adoree Jackson having a big game against these white dudes

Yep, me too. Scariest player I think PSU will see this year. Still can't believe that Peppers got invited to the Heisman Ceremony over him.

-YTC

whiteyc_77

The Skeleton Debator
Mod Alumni
We gon lose, but cot dang I still can't believe that PSU made it to the Rose Bowl. What an incredible season.

Do think it will be a fun one doe. PSU will have the ball late in the 4th with a chance to win/tie, but not get the job done.

-YTC

Bdub

USC looking more like their early season selfs than the team that beat Washington. Only getting 7 points out of two ints could come back to haunt them.

Soonerfan09

I honestly don't think he secured it, but you can't prove it either. Just like Herbie (or maybe Fowler) said, if it was ruled incomplete on the field, there would be no way to overturn that either.