• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Principles of Pro Style Offenses

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Learned a lot from my first few games with my "pure" West Coast playbook. Basically, fullbacks are worthless 75% of the time. I was originally going for a Jim Harbaugh feel, but I've swapped more of a Lane Kiffin/Josh McDaniels feel with 11/12 personnel with the occasional fullback in the game.

I saw a huge boost in numbers in both the run game and passing game by taking out the fullback. Even with an 85 OVR FB, he was missing blocks consistently, so I'll block with a TE or space (slot receiver) instead. My run game is similar to Kiffin's last year at Bama: stretch, inside zone, power, counter, toss. The passing game consists of maybe 15 concepts + screens.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
Any of y'all know how to contact One Back? His site is down, but I want to host the images on my site.

If you're talking about the site that had all the playbook stuff on it, it's been down for a few months. I'm assuming he just stopping paying for the domain.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
If you're talking about the site that had all the playbook stuff on it, it's been down for a few months. I'm assuming he just stopping paying for the domain.

Yep, that's the one. I found his profile on OperationSports, but his Twitter is gone as well. The guy went totally black.

fanoftgame

@JSU Zack

Trust me, that concept I've described is basically impossible to defend in NCAA. You've got two umbumpable press man beaters (the stem post and stem dig), receivers attacking every level of the field, and a built in hot if you're confused (flat). I run it from at least ten different formations.

It's the biggest reason I'm still 50% under center: as much as the gun run game is more effective, I find that play action along with quick game like Stick are easier/better from under.

Ask @bruin228: a lot of times he knows when that play is coming and still can't stop it.

In ncaa correct. I have found the best way to defend it is manually play linebackers and force the drag throw and rally.

PSUEagle

@JSU Zack

You could try thegamingtailgate, but I haven't been there in years so I'm not even sure if he's active anymore.

We had a lot of great communication a few years ago (he was able to get a couple of my ideas into the game which was pretty cool) but I think he grew frustrated at the whole process and how things work over in EA land. @Travis7401 will tell you: the guy who handles the playbooks for both series is a total fucking dolt who doesn't know what he doesn't know, if you get what I'm saying.

fanoftgame

I did and I do.

TBH my biggest issue so far is learning the controls: I'm used to using the xbox ones for 8+ years. Early thoughts are that Bunch/Snug sets will be even more annoying to defend than usual.

BTW, the custom playbook feature is really pissing me off: how do you not have a menu to order plays like NCAA? And how do you even order plays in the sets consistently: a lot of times it seems like they go wherever they want. Just absolute laziness and incompetence from EA. Good thing we have GAME CHANGERS to help QA that for free. Oh wait, I forgot that they're more interested in having authentic gloves and cleats.

No, the Pink towels during breast cancer awareness month are way more important. ;)

But in all seriousness does the movement not feel totally different to you? Again I'm not sure if dislike it I just have a hard time consitantly attacking cover3 with shallow because my ability catch the ball and get up field is limited. Do you have this issue?

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I've been watching old games this offseason (not enough football!), and I've been studying Dennis Erickson's one back film. This game, he puts on a clinic of the offense: motion from trips, zone runs, and quick passes.

Craig7835

@JSU Zack

You could try thegamingtailgate, but I haven't been there in years so I'm not even sure if he's active anymore.

We had a lot of great communication a few years ago (he was able to get a couple of my ideas into the game which was pretty cool) but I think he grew frustrated at the whole process and how things work over in EA land. @Travis7401 will tell you: the guy who handles the playbooks for both series is a total fucking dolt who doesn't know what he doesn't know, if you get what I'm sayin
@JSU Zack

We had a lot of great communication a few years ago (he was able to get a couple of my ideas into the game which was pretty cool) but I think he grew frustrated at the whole process and how things work over in EA land. @Travis7401 will tell you: the guy who handles the playbooks for both series is a total fucking dolt who doesn't know what he doesn't know, if you get what I'm saying.

EA couldn't get chicken salad out of chicken shit if they were paid to do so. I wish 2KSports had the NCAA license because their developers put together WAAAAY better playbooks.ESPN 2K5 football had better PB's than what Madden has put out over the years

LEGEND

I've been watching old games this offseason (not enough football!), and I've been studying Dennis Erickson's one back film. This game, he puts on a clinic of the offense: motion from trips, zone runs, and quick passes.

This is what I'm running in all my OD's... It's been a lot of fun! I actually named my coach Dennis Erickson in a couple OD's.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

LEGEND

This offense is really coming around for me! The use of motion opens up the passing lanes stretching the defense.

I'm also able to create some running room... I've added a little Pistol read & triple option to spice things up. Having speed at the skill positions increases its effectiveness.

It fits my average Joe concept... I want offense & defense that works with any talent... But really excels with elite talent!

Last edited:

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I've hit my stride as well. Played with the saints last night, and Brees went 15-15 for 300 yards. Spiller had 20 rushes for 120 yards.

LEGEND

I've hit my stride as well. Played with the saints last night, and Brees went 15-15 for 300 yards. Spiller had 20 rushes for 120 yards.
Went 14-24 for 314 and my RB was 18-123 yds against a user... in the Powerhouse OD last night. Of course if qba wasn't set at 5 I could have faired better. I had an 18-18 400 yds 250 performance against the cpu.

LEGEND

Tried some stuff in a user game last night that I never run... It was a disaster! There was no rhythm and I really had no feel for the plays. On top of that... a porous offensive line didn't help!

I gotta put something together that is fun for me as well as effective for this particular dynasty. I hate having to change my scheme for one dyn... but the settings don't allow me to do what I like. Although I don't like running 4 wr sets... Going to have to add some. Will probably get away from under center stuff except for maybe a formation or two.

Got an idea of what I'm gonna do.. Will be scrapping most of my 11 and 21 personnel stuff! Will probably be a lot more multiple than pro style going forward.

fanoftgame

Can someone explain why this is true

When either of the Safeties shows up in the “square”, the best percentage area to throw the ball in is the side that he came from! If NEITHER of the Safeties show up in the “square” – throwing the ball into the “square” is a high percentage throw

I understand what its saying. IE strong safety goes to flat you attack the weakside first in the progression.

However, I don't see how this makes an better percentage throw assuming its a normal cover 3 zone versus a normal quick 5 under passing game (4 defender vs 5 recievers underneath). To me working the strong side first is always the best because, you naturally have 3 receivers to one side and on 2 underneath defenders to that side. On the weakside side you have 2 underneath defenders to the side and two receivers to that side(which is better for the defense).

Why would it matter where safety rotation is coming from. I think this concept is called best located safety.

Link http://smartfootball.com/passing/de...ge-by-reading-the-square#sthash.xNWhZ7hi.dpbs

LEGEND

Hahaha

I don't know what my offense is now! I started out adding a few trips and 4 wr sets... But felt I was too much spread. So I went back removed some and added some twin TE sets... I then felt to tilted to that side.

So I trimmed a bit of each and tried going HUNH... I'm liking what it's turned in to. I feel kinda like the Patriots meets Dennis Erickson with a little Paul Johnson and Chip Kelly on the side.

Not sure how to explain that.... My first game with it (cpu game) I put up 700 yds of offense. I had over 400 on the ground and 300 plus through the air. I've tweaked it since and I'm avg 200+ both rushing and passing... More time consuming drives. I have my first test against a user today!

Will get to test my new 4-3 defensive scheme as well. I think the changes will help me with the 5qba issues.... But I have to stay disciplined! ( In my Al Golden voice) I threw several pics forcing deep throws.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
You can still be "pro-style" from spread formations, if you're more comfortable from trips and 4 WR sets. Just run what you're comfortable with. If you have a good TE or two, don't be afraid to insert them into what would otherwise be 4WR formations. When I have good TEs, I love to put them to one side like this:

WR-------------------T-G-C-G-T---------TE---------------
-----------WR-------------------------------------TE------
----------------------------Q-R-----------------------------

Gives you some mismatches all over the place, especially if those TEs are big. You can get a 6'5" TE on a short corner and a quicker WR in the slot to the left. And if you happen to be someone who likes jet sweep, you can run it with that WR and have some good blockers to the right. Plus if you're someone who uses a lot of normal Twin TE sets with 12 personnel, you can go to this formation that is still 12 personnel (HB, 2 TE) but it is spread. Your opponent will see that and probably stay in a heavy base defense and you can exploit it.

There are ways to mix and match personnel and keep a pro identity regardless of your formations. I consider my own offense a pro-style spread. I run far less option than I used to, the majority of my offense is inside zone, outside zone (stretch or jet) and counter plus some power concepts here and there. Really basic pro passing game as well.

Really, what is the difference between this:

--------WR--------T-G-C-G-T-Y-----------------
-------------------------Q------------------WR----
-----------------------------------------------------
-------------------------F--------------------------
-------------------------T--------------------------

And this:

--------WR--------T-G-C-G-T-------Y-------------
-----------------------------H---------------WR----
-----------------------------------------------------
-------------------------Q--------------------------
----------------------T-----------------------------

It's basically the same formation, same personnel but one is a true pro-style I formation and the other is a Gun Wing formation.

There are ways to be pro and spread at the same time just like there are ways to be air raid from under center/compressed sets.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
These days, it really boils down to your run game. Every passing game is pro style IMO, though West Coast is the TRUE pro style if you look at coaching trees.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
These days, it really boils down to your run game. Every passing game is pro style IMO, though West Coast is the TRUE pro style if you look at coaching trees.

Yep. My run game has pretty much turned into an exact duplicate of Tom Osborne's old run game, just from the Pistol. Inside zone, outside zone stretch, counter plus some pin and pull which can kind of be duplicated via strong power. That is the same core run game that just about every team on earth runs but with the addition of option concepts, each of which uses the existing blocking scheme. The simplicity is what made it so deadly, perfect the three core run blocking schemes and then run whatever you want behind it. That can give you a limitless number of run actions and plays within just three basic blocking schemes.

For me in the Pistol, it is:

Inside zone = Slam
Outside zone = Stretch/Off Tackle/Jet
Counter = Counter (from both Pistol and Gun)
Pin & Pull Zone = Strong Power
Read Option = Dive Option (QB/FB)
Sprint Option = Speed Option
32/38 Option = Load Option (G lead)

I dress it all up with a bunch of motion and formations but I'm pretty much just running that stuff. We'll see if I still run it next season with the different set of personnel but that's the core. Fairly pro-style run game.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Dang. I'm glad I know that now. I've left it out of my playbooks because I always thought it was Iso.

It is blocked as inside zone in the game, you get the double teams and the guys working to the second level, but the blocking can go haywire vs certain fronts. Against a 4 man front, I prefer running it to the 3-tech side. The double teams rotate way better and you usually get a really nice cutback lane backside B gap. It also sets up Counter a little bit better because the QB opens the same way giving you the same look off the snap.

Against a 3 man front, you have to be VERY careful. Depending on where the LBs are aligned, there will be times the game just double teams the 3 DL and lets the LBs come through unblocked. If I'm facing someone who runs a 3 man front, I'll typically ditch Slam in favor of a straight Dive play A gap to A gap or Stretch if I have it in the formation. The double team rotations and cutback lanes develop really nicely with Stretch vs Odd fronts.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Pro style is and has always been my bread and butter, but I got killed last year due to errant throws on first down. My pro style offense last year looked a lot like Alabama looked this weekend: bad throws put me behind schedule and a limited running game made it hard to move the chains. I labbed against @LEGEND last night with a new book that used a 1,2,3 formula for formations: 11, 12, 22 (thinking along the lines of New England using an H-Back rather than a true TE). I racked up some big gains on the ground out of 22 personnel, but I can rely on those formations throughout a game as a "scheme" because people will eventually get smart and load the box. Although I have always loved high school offenses that use only one WR. I harkens back to the old days of three yards and a cloud of dust football that really throws NCAA/Madden cheesers for a loop.

Over the years, my most productive offense has been the Air Raid. I tend to average 300+ yards in the air and 150 yards on the ground, which is a many rushing yards as I typically average in run-first offenses. The problem is turnovers. I'll have 40 pass attempts and 3 INTs, making it a 21 point spread rather than giving me a chance late to win. My only user victory last year occurred when I used the gun portion of my pro book that is basically all raid concepts with pro style runs/personnel.
as
The next year in the Powerhouse OD, I'm looking at a balanced QB, decent backfield, but a mixed bag of tight ends and fullbacks. Ideally, I would run 22 as base and mix in 12 & 11 personnel as needed. Has anyone else tried this?

LEGEND

Ideally, I would run 22 as base and mix in 12 & 11 personnel as needed. Has anyone else tried this?

I've tried it and it can be very successful! In fact, my offense was really potent when I ran it. I Was undefeated in all my OD's running it.

The problem was my play calling that killed it! I'm noticing now... that's my problem with all my offensive schemes. I try to run too many different plays! I don't like to call a play more than twice a game... If that. I don't know why I do that either...

It can really be effective... The only limits are the ones you put on yourself!

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I've tried it and it can be very successful! In fact, my offense was really potent when I ran it. I Was undefeated in all my OD's running it.

The problem was my play calling that killed it! I'm noticing now... that's my problem with all my offensive schemes. I try to run too many different plays! I don't like to call a play more than twice a game... If that. I don't know why I do that either...

It can really be effective... The only limits are the ones you put on yourself!

It seemed to work against you. It KILLED the CPU. A ran power out of what I call Weak Wing, and it went for 94 yards.

After looking over my roster for next year, that's going to be my best bet. The two best players on offense are TEs. Gonna be an interesting year.

LEGEND

It seemed to work against you. It KILLED the CPU. A ran power out of what I call Weak Wing, and it went for 94 yards.

After looking over my roster for next year, that's going to be my best bet. The two best players on offense are TEs. Gonna be an interesting year.
Don't judge based off my defense... LoL

My defense is very poor! I'm learning to play with the 4-3 after 2-3 yrs. I was basically trying out man blitzes... Didn't really play to your formations or tendencies. I'm headed home from work now... If you want?

We can lab and I'll use my old defense.

LEGEND

Problem I've had with dual TE's formations is... They never block as well as I expect. They tend to whiff or run right by defenders.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Pro style is and has always been my bread and butter, but I got killed last year due to errant throws on first down. My pro style offense last year looked a lot like Alabama looked this weekend: bad throws put me behind schedule and a limited running game made it hard to move the chains. I labbed against @LEGEND last night with a new book that used a 1,2,3 formula for formations: 11, 12, 22 (thinking along the lines of New England using an H-Back rather than a true TE). I racked up some big gains on the ground out of 22 personnel, but I can rely on those formations throughout a game as a "scheme" because people will eventually get smart and load the box. Although I have always loved high school offenses that use only one WR. I harkens back to the old days of three yards and a cloud of dust football that really throws NCAA/Madden cheesers for a loop.

Over the years, my most productive offense has been the Air Raid. I tend to average 300+ yards in the air and 150 yards on the ground, which is a many rushing yards as I typically average in run-first offenses. The problem is turnovers. I'll have 40 pass attempts and 3 INTs, making it a 21 point spread rather than giving me a chance late to win. My only user victory last year occurred when I used the gun portion of my pro book that is basically all raid concepts with pro style runs/personnel.
as
The next year in the Powerhouse OD, I'm looking at a balanced QB, decent backfield, but a mixed bag of tight ends and fullbacks. Ideally, I would run 22 as base and mix in 12 & 11 personnel as needed. Has anyone else tried this?

Prior to realizing I could move my athletic QB to HB without a penalty, I was starting to think about a 1 WR Single Wing/Wildcat based offense. I was dreading running an offense through my mediocre tailbacks and lack of WR depth and was thinking about a 12/22 personnel heavy offense using Gun Twin TE Slot and Wildcat Wing as a base. I think I could pass enough to my 6'6" monster WR and awesome TE to get people off the LOS enough to run QB Power and Counter.

Not a problem now, can run my normal offense with this guy at HB and my backup QB is a really good passer. Back to a Pistol Pro base.

LEGEND

Got a new scheme I feel will help me out a bit. I call it my Tebow scheme!

I'm not good passing... So the more I pass the less success I have. Most people will stack the box against run heavy. So to offset that... I have to force them outside the box. I'm using more screens and designed rollout passing.

It's more of a dink and dunk game management approach... but the potential for the big plays are there. Definitely more yac potential. Right now it's 12, 21 and 22 personnel.

I'm not really passing less... just more high percentage throws. It comes at a time where most of my Qb's aren't strong armed or very accurate. I'm also in two OD's with QBA set at 5.

When I first saw the original scheme that gave me this Idea... I though it was a bit cheesy. But the more I watched and added my own little twist. The more it really made sense. I still can add my motion and create new routes as well!

We'll see how it goes...

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Still debating the best way to go in the Powerhouse OD with my personnel. Air Raid leads to too many picks. I don't have a running QB, so option offenses are out. I'm leaning back towards a pro style, Erhardt-Perkins spread similar to what New England runs. The question is if I can get a consistent running game out of under center sets?

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Still debating the best way to go in the Powerhouse OD with my personnel. Air Raid leads to too many picks. I don't have a running QB, so option offenses are out. I'm leaning back towards a pro style, Erhardt-Perkins spread similar to what New England runs. The question is if I can get a consistent running game out of under center sets?

Fringe-S3x12-Outlook-not-so-good.jpg

It isn't impossible but running from under center is brutal against human opponents. Everyone loads the box and it is just hard to get any sort of momentum. You have to pass to set up the run under center, which normally would be fine, but pass protection under center is tough. I do love PA under center though. Could try Pistol maybe. Or split gun type stuff depending on your personnel, like old BYU.

LEGEND

Fringe-S3x12-Outlook-not-so-good.jpg

It isn't impossible but running from under center is brutal against human opponents. Everyone loads the box and it is just hard to get any sort of momentum. You have to pass to set up the run under center, which normally would be fine, but pass protection under center is tough. I do love PA under center though. Could try Pistol maybe. Or split gun type stuff depending on your personnel, like old BYU.
This!

It's just too tough!

The TE's & FB's miss way too many blocks!

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
This!

It's just too tough!

The TE's & FB's miss way too many blocks!

Yep, TE and FB play is the biggest issue. FB in particular. Awareness has a huge impact at that position and if your FB is just decent, he won't block anyone. If you go single back that obviously doesn't matter, but you still have plenty of other problems to contend with.

I also think under center formations lead to a bulky playbook, it is just tough to get enough complimentary plays in each formation without ending up with dozens of huge formations.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Welp, the Erhadt-Perkins project is done. Used it in the powerhouse OD tonight & got killed 45-13. QB threw three picks. Running game was non-existent.

I love how this game completely panders to spread offenses. Almost all of my yards were out of gun sets. Under center is worthless.

My opponent was able to run in the A gap from the gun despite blitzes and stunts on my part. The spread is unstoppable. I bow down to its greatness.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Welp, the Erhadt-Perkins project is done. Used it in the powerhouse OD tonight & got killed 45-13. QB threw three picks. Running game was non-existent.

I love how this game completely panders to spread offenses. Almost all of my yards were out of gun sets. Under center is worthless.

My opponent was able to run in the A gap from the gun despite blitzes and stunts on my part. The spread is unstoppable. I bow down to its greatness.

It is just hard to throw from under center. Pass protection isn't great, run blocking isn't always the best, footwork for the QB tends to make QBA 5's problems worse. I would just take the concepts and go Pistol.

My offense is pretty much a typical 21/12 pro-style offense, just out of the Pistol with the ability to run some option and jet type of concepts. Really not a whole lot different from some NFL offenses out there these days.

PSUEagle

It's worth keeping for play action (even more OP than the spread) and quick game. Also find that IZ and Dive are useful, with the former as my potential bounce play while the latter is what I use to go directly up the gut.

Run game wise I find that traditional shotgun works best for me: most of my rushing yards come from there. The offset gun stuff hits too hard for me and doesn't allow my blocks to develop, while pistol is something I just don't find very useful.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
It's worth keeping for play action (even more OP than the spread) and quick game. Also find that IZ and Dive are useful, with the former as my potential bounce play while the latter is what I use to go directly up the gut.

Run game wise I find that traditional shotgun works best for me: most of my rushing yards come from there. The offset gun stuff hits too hard for me and doesn't allow my blocks to develop, while pistol is something I just don't find very useful.

I've taken all my schemes and moved them to the pistol as @TXHusker05 suggested. I tend to lean to the Raid anyways, so it works out well.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator

I seem to have the opposite problem in the gun. I never seem to get blocks to develop at all in traditional gun. Perimeter blocking is garbage as ODs go on because CPU WRs don't have block ratings and it seems like stuff like OZ and Buck get blown up from the outside leaving you hoping for cut back lanes and the way users tend to load the box that gets ugly quick.

With Offset Gun, I prefer it to hit hard because I think of it similar to the quick hitter to the FB in Nebraska's old offenses. It is typically one cut and go A gap to A gap. That can cause some problems with blocks not getting to the second level by the time the back is there, but at that point not sure it matters.

I wish I could run out of the traditional gun because the pass concepts are far more advanced and the PA off of OZ is great but I just find it hard to use the east-west run game traditional gun features. Field is too skinny, perimeter blocking is too poor. It is easier for me to attack hard between the tackles from offset and/or pistol and attack the perimeter with screens and options. I do like that traditional gun has a lot more jet concepts available though. Jet in offset is lacking and Jet in Pistol just doesn't work.

Craig7835

I run my Pro Style based off of the Erhardt/Perkins system with a little bit of Air Coryell mixed in.I normally use the Counter Lead & HB Smash to get the run game going from the I-Form sets. Zone Read & Options from the Shotgun sets so yes you can get a consistent running game from that EP system.It all depends on your RB's attributes

LEGEND

I run my Pro Style based off of the Erhardt/Perkins system with a little bit of Air Coryell mixed in.I normally use the Counter Lead & HB Smash to get the run game going from the I-Form sets. Zone Read & Options from the Shotgun sets so yes you can get a consistent running game from that EP system.It all depends on your RB's attributes
Is this against users or the cpu? Because users stack the box and too many blocks are whiffed by the FB/TE!

Craig7835

Is this against users or the cpu? Because users stack the box and too many blocks are whiffed by the FB/TE!

Against the CPU but sometimes the FB/TE will whiff blocks against the CPU also.

fanoftgame

I dont know what it is but I rarely have an issue running undercenter. Granted I only play ranked matches so maybe its the dynasty sliders. However, I'm mostly in in 12 personel and mix in 21. Basically I'm looking at the defense and using my te's to create mismatches. If the stay in base and run a cover 3 i spead the in 12 personel and run cv3 beaters all game until they go two high or sub more db's in. If the go 2 high I run some form of iz to my best matchup on the oline. If the sub extra db's same two high principals apply however no I don't care if if they go single high.

With extra dbs and single high I go oz to put the unblocked defender as far away from point of attack as possible. Now they have a db who has to set the edge vs a te. Usually thats a matchup the offense should win. They won't be able to set the edge on te and you now run outside/ off tackle on them all day.

I usually run online against anyone with iowa.

Now dont get me wrong if they are physically better than you and live in base cover 3 it will be hard to run at times. But, you can't be mad at that because that is a limitation of the prostyle system. Unlike spread where they gain numbers by option/reads on single high. Prostyle attacks single high largerly by passing.

Hope this helps

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I dont know what it is but I rarely have an issue running undercenter. Granted I only play ranked matches so maybe its the dynasty sliders. However, I'm mostly in in 12 personel and mix in 21. Basically I'm looking at the defense and using my te's to create mismatches. If the stay in base and run a cover 3 i spead the in 12 personel and run cv3 beaters all game until they go two high or sub more db's in. If the go 2 high I run some form of iz to my best matchup on the oline. If the sub extra db's same two high principals apply however no I don't care if if they go single high.

With extra dbs and single high I go oz to put the unblocked defender as far away from point of attack as possible. Now they have a db who has to set the edge vs a te. Usually thats a matchup the offense should win. They won't be able to set the edge on te and you now run outside/ off tackle on them all day.

I usually run online against anyone with iowa.

Now dont get me wrong if they are physically better than you and live in base cover 3 it will be hard to run at times. But, you can't be mad at that because that is a limitation of the prostyle system. Unlike spread where they gain numbers by option/reads on single high. Prostyle attacks single high largerly by passing.

Hope this helps

Yep. Sliders make this strategy impossible, particularly because most of the one back sets feature mostly downfield passing.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Yeah in ODs with QBA at 5 and the pass blocking adjusted, I'm not sure that is a viable strategy. Pass protection is ugly and if you try to rush it in between steps on the drop back the ball will fly a mile wide. I know I'm a "spread" guy and have long advocated that style of offense, but I would LOVE to be under center. I think runs hit harder, I think blocks set up nicer, I think the available pass concepts are far more diverse than Gun or Pistol... but it just doesn't work.

One of two things happens:

1) You're run first/run heavy: People load the box and bring blitzes which you can't counter because a) your FB/TE don't or can't block and b) when you go play action/drop back passing, the loaded box run blitzes you were facing end up drilling your QB before your receivers run their routes.

2) You're pass first/pass heavy: People know you can't run your quarterback and are free to drop 7-8 into coverage or play press man across the board, knowing your QB isn't a threat via option and they can typically shut down your core run game simply through user run defense and defensive line play.

The only way you can get away with #1 is if you run option and the only way you can get away with #2 is if you have an absurdly talented team that simply goes up and over defenders to make plays. QBA 5 already has a minuscule timing window, that only gets smaller when you're worrying about a 5-7 step drop because if you throw without setting your feet the ball won't be within 10 yards of the receiver and that is IF you even get a pass off, which is unlikely the way pass blocking is.

That isn't to say it is impossible, but you're putting yourself at an extreme disadvantage. Most dynasty users will just mercilessly blitz you to make you one dimensional and force you to make plays through the air. Good luck.

fanoftgame

Yep. Sliders make this strategy impossible, particularly because most of the one back sets feature mostly downfield passing.
Yeah in ODs with QBA at 5 and the pass blocking adjusted, I'm not sure that is a viable strategy. Pass protection is ugly and if you try to rush it in between steps on the drop back the ball will fly a mile wide. I know I'm a "spread" guy and have long advocated that style of offense, but I would LOVE to be under center. I think runs hit harder, I think blocks set up nicer, I think the available pass concepts are far more diverse than Gun or Pistol... but it just doesn't work.

One of two things happens:

1) You're run first/run heavy: People load the box and bring blitzes which you can't counter because a) your FB/TE don't or can't block and b) when you go play action/drop back passing, the loaded box run blitzes you were facing end up drilling your QB before your receivers run their routes.

2) You're pass first/pass heavy: People know you can't run your quarterback and are free to drop 7-8 into coverage or play press man across the board, knowing your QB isn't a threat via option and they can typically shut down your core run game simply through user run defense and defensive line play.

The only way you can get away with #1 is if you run option and the only way you can get away with #2 is if you have an absurdly talented team that simply goes up and over defenders to make plays. QBA 5 already has a minuscule timing window, that only gets smaller when you're worrying about a 5-7 step drop because if you throw without setting your feet the ball won't be within 10 yards of the receiver and that is IF you even get a pass off, which is unlikely the way pass blocking is.

That isn't to say it is impossible, but you're putting yourself at an extreme disadvantage. Most dynasty users will just mercilessly blitz you to make you one dimensional and force you to make plays through the air. Good luck.

To me it sounds like the sliders are the problem not the strategy. Why would you play on sliders that makes pasiing impossible? Forget undercenter, what if some wants to run air raid, or run and shoot, are they s.o.l?

I mean yeah your going to have problem with any type of prostyle offense if you can't pass. The numbers dont add up.