1. We have updated to a new version of XenForo. If you were using the "Kella" custom style, you need to switch to the Utopia or Alternate style. Do this in your user preferences.
    Dismiss Notice

Principles of Pro Style Offenses

Discussion in 'NCAA Football Discussion' started by JSU Zack, Mar 14, 2014.

1. LEGEND

LEGEND Well-Known Member

Team:
    Miami
    What I'm noticing is.. Changing the throwing hand of my QB has opened up more passing options for me. What I mean by that is... I had to run certain pass plays always to the boundary or to a particular side of the field.
    Because of the way I passed... it made certain throws very difficult. Not understanding what I was doing wrong caused me to use the wrong type of touch on passes.

Again, I was over compensating... The seam tip is very helpful to me. I've always fired that pass with either a flick up on the stick or at an angle. I couldn't understand why I wasn't having more success with that pass.:emo:

2. LEGEND

LEGEND Well-Known Member

Team:
    Miami
    Fixed some of the issues with the Tom Moore scheme... added some gun formations and set up my audibles. Trying to keep it as close to real life as possible.. I can now do like Peyton did and audible to shotgun or from gun to under center. Also realized that I could use some hot routes to get desired looks.

I'm wondering if I should add any pistol to it? :thinking:

3. LEGEND

LEGEND Well-Known Member

Team:
    Miami
    Damn... Can't believe it's taken me so many yrs to figure out... not every pass requires you to pass lead.:oops:

I've been using lead on every pass I attempted since it's been in the game... I now see why I had so many issues with passes up the seams and deep balls. Also explains why I've had drags and sideline pass problems as well. I've really gotten accustomed to the left hand Qb's... do I dare change them back?

Hmmm... :thinking:

4. FSS

FSS Member

What are your rules for this? Foe example what makes you think yea this a good time to get into shot gun or vice versa?

5. LEGEND

LEGEND Well-Known Member

Team:
    Miami
    Well...

There are certain looks I'm looking for... If I see two high safeties... I'll audible from under center to shotgun to run some of my HB dives. Or If I see single high... I'd audible from shotgun to under center to go play action. Also... going from shotgun to under center allows me to attack tendencies of the defense. A lot of players will attack or stack their defense to the RB side if I'm in shotgun. When I go under center they have to change their looks... So I'm dictating to them what defense I want to see.

6. LEGEND

LEGEND Well-Known Member

Team:
    Miami
    The biggest problem for my scheme was to get out of my comfort zone. I had formations that I was way too loyal to! I stuck to those formations and plays no matter how many times they failed. I was convinced I was doing something wrong. Some formations might be great for passing but weak for running.. or vice versa. I struggled with the run and figured I was still doing something wrong. I was also too loyal to 11 personnel... I had every 11 personnel formation in my PB. Although... many attacked the exact same areas. So I was showing tendencies of my own and not knowing it. I feel now it's more difficult to pick up on my tendencies and I'm more multiple on offense. I'm going to give a lot of different looks and I'm looking to make my opponent defend the entire field.

FSS likes this.
  7. FSS

FSS Member

Idk i go back and forth with tendencies, especially in video game world or any football where you dont have a great scouting report. I mean if you have a great play or attack a certain area do you not keep attacking it just because your opponent knows its coming(thinking out loud here). I mean does navy stop running triple because people know its coming? I try not to get in this mindset where football is a rock-paper-scissors guessing game. To me it shouldn't matter if they know its coming because your running your best plays with your best players. If the plays and players are good enough it shouldn't matter if they know its coming imo. They should have to do something unsound to stop then you attack their unsound play.

To me thats part of what the colts were about. You knew marvin was going to on the same side every play of every game all season. Still can't stop it.

8. LEGEND

LEGEND Well-Known Member

Team:
    Miami
    I myself don't like running the same play over and over... I see people that will run hitch or curl all game without hesitation if you let them. That's cheesy to me because the cpu will never adjust... and to stop it yourself opens up other areas. I can see coming back to a play a couple of times over the course of a game... but not just keep running it rinse and repeat.

But that's just my opinion.:shh:

9. FSS

FSS Member

Yea that can be a problem in video games. To me the way I found a balance is not running the same play but running similar concepts, and attacking the same area until they adjust. That way you can mix up playcalling but still make your opponent pay for not adjusting his defense.

In my previous post I was referring to the tendency of trying to out guess an opponent vs doing what you do best.

10. LEGEND

LEGEND Well-Known Member

Team:
    Miami
    I don't really try to out guess my opponents... I tend to do what you described. I try to run similar concepts attacking the same areas and mixing in the run. Once they get a bit antsy and cheat one way or another... I usually go overtop. With singleback it's kinda easy to see when someone is coming after you. I try to do what I do best... but I get myself in trouble sometimes... I look for the big play too often.

FSS likes this.
  11. FSS

FSS Member

off the topic do u play madden btw?

12. LEGEND

LEGEND Well-Known Member

Team:
    Miami

No! I haven't played Madden since 2007 o_O

13. FSS

FSS Member

Oh the reason I asked is because the run blocking is way different in that game and was looking for some ideas dealing with it.

LEGEND likes this.
  14. LEGEND

LEGEND Well-Known Member

Team:
    Miami

I've been thinking of buying it... whenever I purchase a Xbox One I'll buy Madden. I'm very close to buying one now... I hadn't bought one because I really only play NCAA and COD MW3. Both are not backward compatible for the one.

15. FSS

FSS Member

I'm still on M17 but the run blocking is night and day compared to ncaa. It might be different for m18 but M17 can drive u crazy especially coming from ncaa14

16. FSS

FSS Member

Did Bill Walsh have a base play if so what was it?

17. Craig7835

Craig7835 Active Member

Team:
    Alabama
    That Tight End Sneak play the Ravens ran vs. the Steelers