• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Principles of Pro Style Offenses

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Game is totally broken for us unless this is fixed. What bullshit.

Which ace formations have you used? I tried going UC singleback offense and the running game was a disaster!!!

I tried running inside and outside zone from Ace slot, ace trips etc... The RB seem like he lost acceleration and speed! He could never get going... My opponent even noticed. My RB has 97 acceleration with 92 speed my opponent said it looked more like 86 acceleration and speed.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Ace Slot is an excellent running formation IF you know what fronts specific runs work against. I highly suggest researching the rules for when to call blast & stretch. It's taken my game to a new level.

If your running back is stuck in the mud, it's either sliders or lag.

guardman23

If they would put a bootleg in the pro sets it'd be nice every time I've tried to go to it people crash defensive ends to the strong side an the passing game is a lot harder undercenter

LEGEND

Ace Slot is an excellent running formation IF you know what fronts specific runs work against. I highly suggest researching the rules for when to call blast & stretch. It's taken my game to a new level.

If your running back is stuck in the mud, it's either sliders or lag.
Must be sliders... I'm in a dynasty that they claim is elite sliders. Basically, it's cpu with everything set at 100 and users nearly 0.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Must be sliders... I'm in a dynasty that they claim is elite sliders. Basically, it's cpu with everything set at 100 and users nearly 0.

"Elite" sounds pretty silly to me based on your description. That's a broken game.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
@JSU Zack.

Not trying to sidetrack this thread.... But didn't you try running an Erickson one back style scheme at one point?

I got some new Ideas and want to go back to my Erickson style scheme... But wanted to hear what problems you encountered. I'm actually working on a Dennis Erickson- Noel Mazzone style scheme. I like the concepts and packaging... Just not sure how much can be pulled off in game.

Meta: Moved my response to the appropriate thread.

You can definitely pull off a one-back offense in this game, but your playcalling has to be perfect.

I'm going back to a Harbaugh/Kiffin hybrid offense that combines a ton of one back and two back formations. Lots of West Coast passing concepts and zone runs. The scheme can work in the game, but you have to center it around the passing game. If a user loads the box on you, you need to at least break even in the blocker:defender ratio. Often, you'll need a +1 advantage to account for the user defender running around like a dick.

If you're running the Erickson offense, you'll want to stretch the field more than he and Mazzone do. Yes, dink and dunk, but take deep shots. I noticed @TXHusker05
mentioned you don't do that much. Against users, you HAVE to take deep shots early and often.

Go back and look at the film of National Championship this season. The Alabama offense struggled in the first half because they never took a deep shot. In the 2nd half, Saban told Kiffin to push the envelope, and the entire offense opened up because the defense was forced to respect the deep ball.

How you implement the deep ball into your gameplan is up to you. Personally, I use bootlegs and a few special plays to put a safety in conflict. If you're using the N-Zone as a base, Mazzone uses Y Cross and Four Verticals. Learn how to read those plays against various coverages and call them in the first drive of the game and as often as you can get away with it without getting a 3 & out. And yes, you will have a few 3 & outs using that strategy. These are high-risk, high-reward plays, but they're necessary to unload the box and run the ball.

At the end of the game, you want the stat line to be an even split between passing and rushing yardage (~150+ each). Early in the game, you're numbers will look skewed towards the pass (probably a 75%/25% split). That's what you want. Throw to score, run to win. Build a lead and then grind it out in the 2nd half. Once the D sells out to stop the run, go for another deep ball and make the killshot.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Meta: Moved my response to the appropriate thread.

You can definitely pull off a one-back offense in this game, but your playcalling has to be perfect.

I'm going back to a Harbaugh/Kiffin hybrid offense that combines a ton of one back and two back formations. Lots of West Coast passing concepts and zone runs. The scheme can work in the game, but you have to center it around the passing game. If a user loads the box on you, you need to at least break even in the blocker:defender ratio. Often, you'll need a +1 advantage to account for the user defender running around like a dick.

If you're running the Erickson offense, you'll want to stretch the field more than he and Mazzone do. Yes, dink and dunk, but take deep shots. I noticed @TXHusker05
mentioned you don't do that much. Against users, you HAVE to take deep shots early and often.

Go back and look at the film of National Championship this season. The Alabama offense struggled in the first half because they never took a deep shot. In the 2nd half, Saban told Kiffin to push the envelope, and the entire offense opened up because the defense was forced to respect the deep ball.

How you implement the deep ball into your gameplan is up to you. Personally, I use bootlegs and a few special plays to put a safety in conflict. If you're using the N-Zone as a base, Mazzone uses Y Cross and Four Verticals. Learn how to read those plays against various coverages and call them in the first drive of the game and as often as you can get away with it without getting a 3 & out. And yes, you will have a few 3 & outs using that strategy. These are high-risk, high-reward plays, but they're necessary to unload the box and run the ball.

At the end of the game, you want the stat line to be an even split between passing and rushing yardage (~150+ each). Early in the game, you're numbers will look skewed towards the pass (probably a 75%/25% split). That's what you want. Throw to score, run to win. Build a lead and then grind it out in the 2nd half. Once the D sells out to stop the run, go for another deep ball and make the killshot.

Yeah, if you're going to commit to being a balanced offense (from any formations/groupings), you have to take shots. People are just so ultra aggressive defensively in these leagues trying to take away the run and quick game, you have to be able to threaten deep. It doesn't have to be four verts 10 times a game, just planting the seed that you can and will take a shot if it is there is usually enough for most users to be a little less aggressive on defense.

That lesson was hard as hell for me to learn because in previous iterations of my offense, I would NEVER take shots. I would go out of my way to not take shots because I just wanted to control the ball and the clock. I'd run the ball on 3rd & 5+ sometimes just to not make a mistake. Once I realized that I could take a few high risk/high reward shots and take the pressure off the rest of my offense, I really opened things up.

My pass game is essentially a mash up of Mazzone's drop back game and Malzahn's screen and sprint out game. I'm running mostly shallow/drive, spot/snag, Y corner/cross and Smash and I've started running Mesh now as well. Plus my screen game and the ability to create most of those concepts off of PA Read action using hot routes and that's a pretty good core. I'm really taking to running Y Cross with a hot route shallow underneath it because you kind of get a Y Cross/Mesh mash up and two alert fades outside (I can also run it off of PA Read).

My primary "home run" play is creating an NCAA route (Post-dig) off of PA Read (or PA Counter in Pistol) and then Post/Wheel which I have out of a few formations. Both plays are relatively easy reads and relatively safe calls against any coverage.

@LEGEND one thing I noticed and didn't mention in your scouting report was that you tend to send 5 receivers out into patterns every pass play. I was able to sack you quite a few times while you waited for routes to develop because you had fewer guys in to block than I had rushing. If you're taking shots, don't be afraid to have a 2 or 3 man route concept with backs or TEs left in to block. If you want to keep sending 5 receivers out into patterns, know who your hot receiver is pre-snap in the event there is pressure and your primary play breaks down.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
@LEGEND one thing I noticed and didn't mention in your scouting report was that you tend to send 5 receivers out into patterns every pass play. I was able to sack you quite a few times while you waited for routes to develop because you had fewer guys in to block than I had rushing. If you're taking shots, don't be afraid to have a 2 or 3 man route concept with backs or TEs left in to block. If you want to keep sending 5 receivers out into patterns, know who your hot receiver is pre-snap in the event there is pressure and your primary play breaks down.

My rule of thumb is LOS defenders + 1. If you're running a 3-4 and calling a fire zone (2 blitzers), my blockers should be able to hand the blitz unless there's double pressure in one gap. Then, you can have the RB run a check route to pickup the trash.

If you want to run 5 receivers every play, you have to read quickly and be prepared to hit the checkdown 50% of the time. You may lose a yard, but it's better than losing 8 or 9.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
My rule of thumb is LOS defenders + 1. If you're running a 3-4 and calling a fire zone (2 blitzers), my blockers should be able to hand the blitz unless there's double pressure in one gap. Then, you can have the RB run a check route to pickup the trash.

If you want to run 5 receivers every play, you have to read quickly and be prepared to hit the checkdown 50% of the time. You may lose a yard, but it's better than losing 8 or 9.

If I'm running a deep pass home run concept, I typically hot route the tailback running a swing to a wheel which is a page right out of @bruin228's playbook. It times up nicely because right as you're aware you need to get the ball out, he's typically just getting up field. I also really like the default delay route on Shallow Cross in Spread Flex. That's a nice little check down and times up nicely if your first two reads aren't there.

One thing I really would like to do is integrate a PA boot type of concept in my offense. I typically boot off of PA Read and I have sprintouts, but a really good PA boot would be nice and offset doesn't allow for that. I've thought about plugging Pistol Slot Flex Wing into the offense to run a PA Boot with a H-Back wheel/post concept backside and a pivot/comeback to the boot side. I ran the hell out of that play in my Pistol offense.

LEGEND

Yeah, if you're going to commit to being a balanced offense (from any formations/groupings), you have to take shots. People are just so ultra aggressive defensively in these leagues trying to take away the run and quick game, you have to be able to threaten deep. It doesn't have to be four verts 10 times a game, just planting the seed that you can and will take a shot if it is there is usually enough for most users to be a little less aggressive on defense.

That lesson was hard as hell for me to learn because in previous iterations of my offense, I would NEVER take shots. I would go out of my way to not take shots because I just wanted to control the ball and the clock. I'd run the ball on 3rd & 5+ sometimes just to not make a mistake. Once I realized that I could take a few high risk/high reward shots and take the pressure off the rest of my offense, I really opened things up.

My pass game is essentially a mash up of Mazzone's drop back game and Malzahn's screen and sprint out game. I'm running mostly shallow/drive, spot/snag, Y corner/cross and Smash and I've started running Mesh now as well. Plus my screen game and the ability to create most of those concepts off of PA Read action using hot routes and that's a pretty good core. I'm really taking to running Y Cross with a hot route shallow underneath it because you kind of get a Y Cross/Mesh mash up and two alert fades outside (I can also run it off of PA Read).

My primary "home run" play is creating an NCAA route (Post-dig) off of PA Read (or PA Counter in Pistol) and then Post/Wheel which I have out of a few formations. Both plays are relatively easy reads and relatively safe calls against any coverage.

Last night's game was just a wash! I really let that scoop and score affect me too much! It wasn't till later that it hit me...

That was a wr subbed in on a formation package. That explains the speed burst. It said TE on the commentary... So I thought your TE did a cpu hyper warp glitch.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Last night's game was just a wash! I really let that scoop and score affect me too much! It wasn't till later that it hit me...

That was a wr subbed in on a formation package. That explains the speed burst. It said TE on the commentary... So I thought your TE did a cpu hyper warp glitch.

I don't have commentary on but I think the game was confused, even in the stats it says the TD was a 60 something yard TD pass to the original receiver (Leggett, my TE) but it was Artavis Scott who was the backside receiver trailing the play who came across to scoop it on the run, which is why he was going so fast.

The same thing happened for @JSU Zack in my game against him, he got stripped in the middle of the field and a trailing receiver crossing underneath grabbed it at full speed and carried it the rest of the way into the end zone. He was only 10 or 15 yards from the end zone though, a lot less dramatic than 60+.

LEGEND

Created an old school Erickson inspired playbook.... Pre Mazzone. For the better part of two user games it worked to perfection! I have some layered concepts that did exactly what they were suppose to do.

I also added a screen game that was deadly off those concepts. I basically did what I should have against @TXHusker05. I came out passing... Hitting mid-deep routes off the rip! I then mixed in some shallows and crossing routes while still taking shots.

Two perfectly timed screens blew it wide open. I then started gashing him with runs inside. I was able to get both my QB & RB over the century mark.

The book and play calling was about as good as can be. On a side note... I had a problem in the second user game. It wasn't the playbook or play calling. I was firing along on all cylinders and then threw a rod. The OC glitch caused my offense to sputter and eventually crash and burn!

I won the National championship in this dynasty Two seasons ago. During off-season my OC took a head coaching position. Kevin Summerlin was fired at A&M and became my OC. He instantly maxed out my OC xp. Well... That lasted all of two games. Without warning on the third week my OC xp dropped to 0 and has been there ever since!

At the start of games it's not an issue... But usually by 2nd qtr it begins to show up! All the sudden wr's aren't getting any separation. When facing man coverage every route becomes mirrored. The line isn't picking up blocks or holding them anymore.

Does anyone have a solution? It's impossible to play against users... While their xp is kicking in. Their avg players become elite while my entire offense becomes avg. It's so noticeable that every user I face plays strictly man against me once it kicks in. It's so bad that LB's with 78 spd mirror WR's with 98 spd.

Not even shake routes or zigs get any separation. When watching the replays you can see every route mirrored. To make matters worst 3 & 4 man pass rushes become impossible to block! It affects my entire offense... It's the only dyn where I have Miami so I don't want to retire or switch teams.

Any suggestions?

LEGEND

@LEGEND What sort of running game are you using? Erickson ran a little bit of everything but mainly relied on IZ, Power, and draws.
I ran IZ mainly... That with read option, counter read option and 45 base from 2x2. That with the HB screens seemed to really catch them by surprise. I know for a fact the early passing opened them up! My opponent in 2nd game said my passing was frustrating him... He said he was trying everything but nothing worked!

Of course that changed once his XP kicked in! He basically ran 2 man under and shut everything down remainder of the game.

I'm going to work on adding draws now... Any draws you know of that actually work?

LEGEND

@JSU Zack

I added Empty Quads trying to duplicate one of Erickson's empty sets.. I ran the QB power and slot option from it with success.

Also... I forgot to mention. I ran QB wrap and QB power from Normal Y Slot (2×2) along with IZ from Trips TE flex. Trips TE flex did a lot of damage. With IZ I could hit any hole or bounce to backside.. which I did with great success. But I was able to do the same with wide zone? I think that's what it's called.

Last edited:

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
@JSU Zack

I added Empty Quads trying to duplicate one of Erickson's empty sets.. I ran the QB power and slot option from it with success.

Also... I forgot to mention. I ran QB wrap and QB power from Normal Y Slot (2×2) along with IZ from Trips TE flex. Trips TE flex did a lot of damage. With IZ I could but any hole or bounce to backside which I did with great success. But I was able to do the same with wide zone? I think that's what it's called.

I just discovered Trips Y Flex a few weeks ago. It's my new baby along with Flip Trips.

If your opponent runs Cover 5 (aka Cover 2 Man), run the ball or attack the middle of the field with the Shallow Cross, Drive, or Dragon (slant/flat with a settle in the middle of the field - see Y Trips Slant Flat).

Ideally, you should be able to run against MOFO defenses. Just read the front and run to numbers.

LEGEND

I just discovered Trips Y Flex a few weeks ago. It's my new baby along with Flip Trips.

If your opponent runs Cover 5 (aka Cover 2 Man), run the ball or attack the middle of the field with the Shallow Cross, Drive, or Dragon (slant/flat with a settle in the middle of the field - see Y Trips Slant Flat).

Ideally, you should be able to run against MOFO defenses. Just read the front and run to numbers.
Yeah I tried but xp glitch made that impossible! Guards basically blocked no one once his xp kicked in. It's as if the defenders were invisible to them. They literally went right by the guards without the guards acknowledging them. On counters the play side tackle got pushed into the runner every time! Any pulling lineman play... The lineman just ran to empty space turned up field and ran towards end zone while not acknowledging any defenders.

Sounds far fetched but that's exactly how it happened! Normally they would at least seek out a DB... Not with glitch! They just run towards the end zone looking straight ahead. Smh!

LEGEND

I love Trips Y flex! One of my favorite formations... If not my favorite. Normal Y slot has really become a favorite as well!

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I ran IZ mainly... That with read option, counter read option and 45 base from 2x2. That with the HB screens seemed to really catch them by surprise. I know for a fact the early passing opened them up! My opponent in 2nd game said my passing was frustrating him... He said he was trying everything but nothing worked!

Of course that changed once his XP kicked in! He basically ran 2 man under and shut everything down remainder of the game.

I'm going to work on adding draws now... Any draws you know of that actually work?

One back draws from Pistol (and under center) work really well. I wouldn't use any draws from gun since they are very inconsistent but I actually really like those Pistol draw plays and when I run my Osborne offense I call Lead Draws from the I all the time.

Looking at your offense and what you're trying to do, I would highly recommend you look at Pistol Weak Slot. You already use 20 personnel quite a bit in Split Offset/Slot, Pistol Weak Slot lets you do that but has some really nice little pass concepts including some HB automotion out of the backfield. There is Shallow and Y Cross and Z Under and those type of routes. Plus PA SE and PA Bubble screens.

Any time I have Pistol Weak Slot in my offense, I typically organize it like:

HB Draw - HB Dive - HB Lead Read
The 3 automotion pass plays
Slants - Y Cross - Shallow Cross
PA Bubble

In a perfect world, I would have PA SE Screen instead of Slants as my quick, but this is EA world and you need slants to have a quick pass audible and to make bubble the PA. Shallow Cross should be your deep audible. That gets you 5 concepts you already run, out of a personnel grouping you already use (I personally like putting a TE as the offset HB) and you add both a draw and a lead read option play.

When you use Split Offset as much as you do, you have no way to attack an overhang player with bubble or a quick throw and so people are able to keep the box relatively packed and don't need to put a defender on top of that slot receiver because they know you can't throw bubble out to him.

If you really want to keep using Split Gun type formations to do what you're doing, look into adding the series of plays with the HB orbit auto-motion. I personally separate Split Offset and Slot Offset in my offense, Split Offset containing my core runs and Slot Offset made up solely of the 5 auto-motion plays (FB Belly, PA Swing, Cross Screen, Stick, Z Spot). Most users won't notice when the slot is on/off the LOS so it all looks the same and in Slot Offset, you can call one of the two drop back pass plays in the huddle and have all 4 of the other plays available to you via quick audible at the line. Again, all core Mazzone type concepts. You can even create concepts off of that if you wanted, I create Y Corner using Z Spot all the time as well as Mazzone's "Basic" adjustment to Z Spot where Y receiver runs a 10 yard dig instead of a corner (make sure to hot route the backside receiver to a vertical or something so he doesn't cross paths).

LEGEND

One back draws from Pistol (and under center) work really well. I wouldn't use any draws from gun since they are very inconsistent but I actually really like those Pistol draw plays and when I run my Osborne offense I call Lead Draws from the I all the time.

Looking at your offense and what you're trying to do, I would highly recommend you look at Pistol Weak Slot. You already use 20 personnel quite a bit in Split Offset/Slot, Pistol Weak Slot lets you do that but has some really nice little pass concepts including some HB automotion out of the backfield. There is Shallow and Y Cross and Z Under and those type of routes. Plus PA SE and PA Bubble screens.

Any time I have Pistol Weak Slot in my offense, I typically organize it like:

HB Draw - HB Dive - HB Lead Read
The 3 automotion pass plays
Slants - Y Cross - Shallow Cross
PA Bubble

In a perfect world, I would have PA SE Screen instead of Slants as my quick, but this is EA world and you need slants to have a quick pass audible and to make bubble the PA. Shallow Cross should be your deep audible. That gets you 5 concepts you already run, out of a personnel grouping you already use (I personally like putting a TE as the offset HB) and you add both a draw and a lead read option play.

When you use Split Offset as much as you do, you have no way to attack an overhang player with bubble or a quick throw and so people are able to keep the box relatively packed and don't need to put a defender on top of that slot receiver because they know you can't throw bubble out to him.

If you really want to keep using Split Gun type formations to do what you're doing, look into adding the series of plays with the HB orbit auto-motion. I personally separate Split Offset and Slot Offset in my offense, Split Offset containing my core runs and Slot Offset made up solely of the 5 auto-motion plays (FB Belly, PA Swing, Cross Screen, Stick, Z Spot). Most users won't notice when the slot is on/off the LOS so it all looks the same and in Slot Offset, you can call one of the two drop back pass plays in the huddle and have all 4 of the other plays available to you via quick audible at the line. Again, all core Mazzone type concepts. You can even create concepts off of that if you wanted, I create Y Corner using Z Spot all the time as well as Mazzone's "Basic" adjustment to Z Spot where Y receiver runs a 10 yard dig instead of a corner (make sure to hot route the backside receiver to a vertical or something so he doesn't cross paths).
I actually had the auto motion stuff and didn't use it in our game. I was basically trying to see what passes worked and didn't once I lost interest in our game. That's why I used the split backs so much! I didn't use them at all in three games yesterday... Two of which were user games.

In the game before I played you... I used the auto motion quite a few times with success... Especially the screens. I have to look at maybe adding some UC One back for draws. Everything I have is pretty much from gun with one pistol one back set.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I might as well go ahead & get it then. Plus how were you able to create the Erickson playbook on there? I know it's pretty easy in the NCAA games but creating one in Madden is PURE hell

16 is better than 15 but still mind-numbingly dumb compared to NCAA.

On the one hand, almost every formation now contains your basic runs: IZ, stretch, power, & counter. There are also a lot of new formations. Playbooks are capped at 500 plays compared to NCAA's 380.

On the other hand, the "gameplan" mechanic is still in the game, including the hidden scenarios (Conserve Time). That means some playbooks make better templates than others depending on what plays you can live with being forced into your playbook. The hail mary plays still break your playbook if the formation isn't already in your book (SG Spread, 4 WR Trio, and Trio). The good news is there are multiple replacement formations that have most of the same plays in them. You still have to leave at least one shotgun set from the default book to keep all the gun formations from displaying under the "Hail Mary" formation section during the game.

The EA did feedback groups and user panels, I would sign up to be a part of it immediately. Oh, wait. That's the "game changers".

If I designed the playbook creation screen, it would be a lot more intuitive. The current "all plays" option would be the advanced menu for adding specific plays. The standard UX would be a series of forms that ask things like what types of personnel do you want, what concepts, run/pass split, etc. It would load the playbook with all the plays from that concept and then let you weed out what you want.

In reality, we're only in a 2nd generation playbook editor. It's been mostly unchanged since they brought it back in NCAA 09. Prior to that, the early 00's Maddens had a fully functioning "Create A Play" game mode where you set player movement in a grid to create routes, blocking schemes, etc. EA still uses this tool privately to build the plays.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I actually had the auto motion stuff and didn't use it in our game. I was basically trying to see what passes worked and didn't once I lost interest in our game. That's why I used the split backs so much! I didn't use them at all in three games yesterday... Two of which were user games.

In the game before I played you... I used the auto motion quite a few times with success... Especially the screens. I have to look at maybe adding some UC One back for draws. Everything I have is pretty much from gun with one pistol one back set.

Automotion is tricky. Most users still playing NCAA have seen everything this game has to offer a few hundred times so they can pick out tendencies and they know what concepts are tied to certain automotions so unless you disguise it (use base automotion plays to create other concepts) or run it in a series of similar looking plays, you are going to give things away pre-snap and have passes get jumped. Especially so on the automotion screens, which are doubly frustrating because every one of them has an alignment tell as well.

Unfortunately, not all automotion plays in the game have complimentary automotion plays. Some of them are just stand alone and most users will know it, once you run it once, they are going to catch on fast. Split Offset is one of the few formations that has a whole series of automotion plays made to look the same, that helps a lot but even then I'd be very careful with them.

In my case, I shy away from nearly all automotion except for the orbit motion stuff out of Slot Offset as described above and Jet motion, which I mostly use as deception rather than actually run Jet. I can cover up a lot automotion tendencies by going full speed hurry-up, no-huddle because people just can't react fast enough and get their defense set up. Were I huddling, I doubt I'd ever run automotion.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I use the zin motion pass plays, such as Flanker Drive and Z Spot. I tag the plays once folks shut down the base play.

Tags are your friends.

LEGEND

I use the zin motion pass plays, such as Flanker Drive and Z Spot. I tag the plays once folks shut down the base play.

Tags are your friends.
Tag?

What you talking bout Willis?

8e2790703b968bc90e663b01e1ab059d.jpg

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Tag?

What you talking bout Willis?

http://smartfootball.com/passing/ho...ield-in-the-passing-game#sthash.O18Fjl2d.dpbs

For example, I add a lot of tags off the Y Stick concept for the solo receiver in a trips formation. The concept of tags was developed by Tiger Ellison and Mouse Davis, the innovators of the RnS.

An example of a tag I use is Trey Y Stick X Bench. This tells the X receiver to run a bench route (12-yard out). It's effective against soft Cover 1, which I see often.

Another good example is the popular Shallow Cross HB Wheel combination that so many of us run. In many offenses, it's nicknamed a "Shark" call, but the official nomenclature would look like this:
Spread Y Shallow F Wheel

What made Peyton Manning so great? He would build plays at the line of scrimmage with tags. NFL and RnS quarterbacks use codewords, signals, etc. to designate routes to their receivers at the line of scrimmage.

LEGEND

http://smartfootball.com/passing/ho...ield-in-the-passing-game#sthash.O18Fjl2d.dpbs

For example, I add a lot of tags off the Y Stick concept for the solo receiver in a trips formation. The concept of tags was developed by Tiger Ellison and Mouse Davis, the innovators of the RnS.

An example of a tag I use is Trey Y Stick X Bench. This tells the X receiver to run a bench route (12-yard out). It's effective against soft Cover 1, which I see often.

Another good example is the popular Shallow Cross HB Wheel combination that so many of us run. In many offenses, it's nicknamed a "Shark" call, but the official nomenclature would look like this:
Spread Y Shallow F Wheel

What made Peyton Manning so great? He would build plays at the line of scrimmage with tags. NFL and RnS quarterbacks use codewords, signals, etc. to designate routes to their receivers at the line of scrimmage.
That was some nice information... It's something I was already implementing into my offense. I've started working on my progression... That in it self has changed my offense. Basically, I didn't have a progression. I was one read and panic for the most part.

I've started to really critique my offense with great detail. Looking at the plays I run and what blends in nicely with them. I also look at what concepts they incorporate. What areas of the field they attack and how they time up!

These are all things I didn't do in the past. I just assumed everything would work itself out. My offense is already more explosive through a couple games. Just gotta keep at it until it becomes 2nd nature. Had a couple of hiccups in a game last night... But for the most part a noticeable difference!

LEGEND

I love Trips Y flex! One of my favorite formations... If not my favorite. Normal Y slot has really become a favorite as well!

The formation I was thinking of was actually Trio TE offset!

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
The formation I was thinking of was actually Trio TE offset!

The passes out of that formation are solid. Scat is my favorite. It's even better in Madden 16 with a PA Flood and Spot play.

The only thing missing is a weak side run play to keep the defense honest. They put outside zone in Madden 16, and it helps.

LEGEND

The passes out of that formation are solid. Scat is my favorite. It's even better in Madden 16 with a PA Flood and Spot play.

The only thing missing is a weak side run play to keep the defense honest. They put outside zone in Madden 16, and it helps.
It's tough but I've been able to bounce IZ to the weak side! Also weak trap can be deadly!

Craig7835

@JSU Zack

Whipped out the NCAA 10 & played Road To Glory as a coach, I'm coaching Cal & I've been running my offense like Cleveland coach Hue Jackson runs his WCO offense. I have to admit Hue's offense is out this world,that's why the Bengals when was the OC was putting up points & Dalton had improved MUCH better as a passer. Have you looked at his offense lately & if so what did you think of it?

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I prefer PEMDAS.

@JSU Zack

Whipped out the NCAA 10 & played Road To Glory as a coach, I'm coaching Cal & I've been running my offense like Cleveland coach Hue Jackson runs his WCO offense. I have to admit Hue's offense is out this world,that's why the Bengals when was the OC was putting up points & Dalton had improved MUCH better as a passer. Have you looked at his offense lately & if so what did you think of it?

I'll be honest, I'm not familiar with Jackson, since I don't watch much NFL. Do you have any film links?

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Currently watching the Foster Farms Bowl (UCLA vs. Nebraska). The Huskers do a lot of interesting things on offense. I can see where @TXHusker05 gets some of his schemes. Lots of fullback play out of the gun and a good dose of QB runs when the D loads the box.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Currently watching the Foster Farms Bowl (UCLA vs. Nebraska). The Huskers do a lot of interesting things on offense. I can see where @TXHusker05 gets some of his schemes. Lots of fullback play out of the gun and a good dose of QB runs when the D loads the box.

It wasn't pretty early on but as the season progressed, Riley really started to blend his offensive style with the run first mentality of Nebraska. The Foster Farms Bowl was it all coming together, smashmouth power run from any number of looks. So many of Nebraska's losses came this year because they just kept throwing and throwing. Once they came to terms with what the team could do, it was really effective.

A lot of FB Belly/Trap stuff from both under center and the Gun, a ton of split zone, a ton of jet/fly motion paired with that inside zone. End Arounds (including a TE end around to seal the win at the end of the game, something we did twice this year). QB Counter/Power/Sweep stuff that they finally started using late in the year.

They ran two really interesting QB concepts this year, one was an under center QB Sweep out of sort of a heavy Wing T-ish formation (which they motioned to from the I). Outside zone blocking, reverse out and follow (see below). The other was a Pistol QB Counter Play, which was almost like a Wing T Waggle play out of 12 personnel Pistol with a TE and a Wing. QB-HB executed an outside zone stretch fake from Pistol while the BSG/Wing blocked counter backside, then Armstrong reversed out and booted away from the fake to follow the BSG/H.

The staff really started to catch on to some things as the season went on and created some really interesting variations to concepts.

Here is the under center QB Stretch Sweep play:

Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 04.05.19.png Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 04.12.32.png Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 04.12.43.png Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 04.12.58.png Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 04.13.12.png

LEGEND

Went back and added some UC oneback formations to my offense. With me working on my progressions it's worked much better. My offense is definitely more multiple looks as a result.

It's a couple of Pistol formations to go along with the shotgun and UC stuff! My running game is basically IZ/OZ.

Last edited:

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Went back and added some UC oneback formations to my offense. With me working on my progressions it's worked much better. My offense is definitely more multiple looks as a result.

It's a couple of Pistol formations to go along with the shotgun and UC stuff! My running game is basically IZ/OZ.

I've actually been experimenting with a little one back under center to tie in with my HUNH spread stuff. I had mainly been looking for a way to quickly jump under center via tempo on a 3rd & Short and run a quick dive play to convert it off of my 11 and 10 personnel groupings, but then I started playing around with some of the play action and man there are some killer route combinations off of PA in Ace.

Specifically those PA plays off of stretch where the receiver runs essentially an angle route. Straight diagonal across the field and then a hard cut back to the corner. That route just roasts man coverage. My playbook is way too big to add more than a few Ace formations with a few plays a piece but I could see those formations being incredibly useful.

LEGEND

I've actually been experimenting with a little one back under center to tie in with my HUNH spread stuff. I had mainly been looking for a way to quickly jump under center via tempo on a 3rd & Short and run a quick dive play to convert it off of my 11 and 10 personnel groupings, but then I started playing around with some of the play action and man there are some killer route combinations off of PA in Ace.

Specifically those PA plays off of stretch where the receiver runs essentially an angle route. Straight diagonal across the field and then a hard cut back to the corner. That route just roasts man coverage. My playbook is way too big to add more than a few Ace formations with a few plays a piece but I could see those formations being incredibly useful.
I use to run them from Ace slot and Ace big... Very deadly! I recently added both formations back into my play book. I have a couple formations from UC One back and Shotgun where I go HUNH. It's a change up for me.... It's not something I want to do all game.. But pick my spots a couple times a game!

We'll see today how my offense works with 5 QBA!

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I use to run them from Ace slot and Ace big... Very deadly! I recently added both formations back into my play book. I have a couple formations from UC One back and Shotgun where I go HUNH. It's a change up for me.... It's not something I want to do all game.. But pick my spots a couple times a game!

We'll see today how my offense works with 5 QBA!

Maybe it is just small sample but I feel like QBA 5 has less of an impact under center. The QB's drop back seems to time up a lot better and you rarely throw off your back foot or anything that would cause major issues.

So far I've put in Ace F Pair Twins, Ace Slot Flex and Ace Spread (solely for the PA Wheels play). Ace F Pair is interesting because of the quick F auto motion play. The Power Toss in that formation is shockingly good because the toss hits your HB as he's already going down hill almost like rocket toss in flexbone. He gets that ball and just flies up the field.

Craig7835

@JSU Zack

I just finished playing my stepson's Madden 16 & it's pretty good like you said. As always the Saints have the best PB every year because of the Pistol Bunch TE & Tight Offset TE,but to me Carolina's PB--even though Mike Shula CONSERVATIVE AS HELL--is the best hands down.

fonzilla

How do you guys keep play counts down? I want to be able to have a lot of different formations that have the same personnel groupings but could be anything formation wise ((i.e 2RB/3WR could be I-Slot, Split back, Pistol, or Shotgun) but I'm struggling to keep the plays to a minimum
I would always limit myself to 20 formations only. That would always help me. Plus I found myself being more successful having less shit to think about. So I would have to decide which personnel my team was best at and mainly base out of those..
So I would mainly stick to 22 or 12 personnel to combat all the gay ass nickel based defense these fuckers run..

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
@JSU Zack

I just finished playing my stepson's Madden 16 & it's pretty good like you said. As always the Saints have the best PB every year because of the Pistol Bunch TE & Tight Offset TE,but to me Carolina's PB--even though Mike Shula CONSERVATIVE AS HELL--is the best hands down.

I haven't spent much time in default playbooks, but I'll take a look at both.

nofx94

What are the most spread-orientrd on Madden? I know Philly's is good, but I don't play that nearly as much as I play this.