• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Pistol Offense

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
Going to run with a Pistol based offense with a couple short yardage U/C packages. Looking to incorporate some misdirection/read offense. Probably going to base it on the default Pistol offense and add/delete formations as I see fit. I like the switch read option series where the play goes to the weak side of the formation along with most of the play action.

LEGEND

I'm running a pistol based offense myself currently in one OD. It's basically a pro-style offense from pistol. I do have three SG split back formations, but everything else is pistol.

I prefer dive over slam currently but as I get acustomed to the pistol that may change. While my offense is mainly pro-style... there will be quite a bit of option and misdirection sprinkled in.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
I'm running a pistol based offense myself currently in one OD. It's basically a pro-style offense from pistol. I do have three SG split back formations, but everything else is pistol.

I prefer dive over slam currently but as I get acustomed to the pistol that may change. While my offense is mainly pro-style... there will be quite a bit of option and misdirection sprinkled in.

I kept SG Split Offset and SG Split Big along with a few other SG looks. A formation I stumbled upon that is really versatile is SG Heavy. Some really nice passing concepts and the QB inside zone is very nice. No false steps and the blocking is good.

LEGEND

I have split big and offset along with split close. I just added ace twins along with trips over and twins te offset. It's my Uzi offense now... LoL!

There are several of the 2TE pistol formations that I really like.

Stretch, zone read, strong power, dive, counter in each of them...

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
@NavyHog I know you are probably going back to your old version of the spread, but I was thinking there are a few changes you could make to your Pistol offense to help a bit.

Pistol Full House would help you out a lot. A lot of your run game is hurt because Pistol doesn't have very much variety and even though your back isn't offset one way or the other, most people can hedge towards the strength of your formation. Whenever you went two HB or a HB and H-Back, I was able to hedge to the side of the 2nd back. Occasionally you brought out a weak side run, but there are just so few weak side runs in those two back Pistol formations that I knew you weren't going to have much to attack me with that direction. Full House provides a true balanced formation that you can flip to either side at the line easily.

The other thing is that you might benefit from my Weak Slot -> Full House audible package that I used in my previous offense. It takes up some audible space, but I'm not sure how many audibles you're using right now. I believe you have a true fullback on your roster that you use, so it'll work perfectly.

Base out of Pistol Weak Slot with the Fullback package (this is necessary) so your base formation is this:

-----WR----------OOOOO-----------WR-----
------------------------------WR-----------
-------------------F-Q---------------------
---------------------T----------------------

You want your quickest speed threat in that slot position. It may be a WR, it may be a HB, whoever you want carrying the ball most often should be formation subbed into that spot. Then you're basically running a play based on the alignment. If the defense is tight, throw bubble to that slot guy. If they are spread out, you can audible. I usually did 3 audibles for this series:

Full House Off Tackle
Full House Read Option
Full House Triple Option Wk

Audibling from that base formation to Full House will bring that slot player into the right up-back spot. You can snap it right when he gets there and create a small series of plays with it. It takes up some audible space, but you can do as few or as many as you want. It's really good against users because they can't possibly cover everything and you have a play or audible that can attack every part of the defense.

Pistol is damn hard to make work if you want to be run first. I've been through that struggle a few times. If you're going to be pass first, it is pretty good but otherwise you can get in trouble pretty quickly.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator
I think what I'm going to do is run the Flex with Navy and run a version of what your talking about with UTEP. My biggest problem, and I do this everytime, is I am always tinkering and trying new formations. I keep adding and adding until my CPB becomes unwieldy.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I think what I'm going to do is run the Flex with Navy and run a version of what your talking about with UTEP. My biggest problem, and I do this everytime, is I am always tinkering and trying new formations. I keep adding and adding until my CPB becomes unwieldy.

Yeah my Spread-I at NIU is huge, I'm going to redo it and iron some things out. My Wing-T playbook is working pretty well and it is under 300 plays at the moment. Too easy to bulk up a playbook.

LEGEND

Anyone running a strictly pistol offense? I mean in an online dynasty or ranked play? Been trying and it' s pretty tough to say the least. I'm going to mix my pb up because pistol seems limited.

Schauwn

Yeah, every time I've tried in offline dynasties I usually end up giving up after a couple of weeks. It's doable, but it just doesn't get my juices flowing.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
Been trying in OD's the last few wk's... it's doable, but a lot of work!

If you don't run option or pass first, you're going to get shut down pretty quick running Pistol only. The non-option run plays aren't going to get you very far and play action is a little dicey unless it is off of the read option action. I've been tempted to introduce some Pistol just to run some option, but like you said, it is a lot of work. If you don't master it or only run it part time, it is going to be a disaster.

Are you trying to be run first? Option first? Pass first? Any QB run game?

LEGEND

If you don't run option or pass first, you're going to get shut down pretty quick running Pistol only. The non-option run plays aren't going to get you very far and play action is a little dicey unless it is off of the read option action. I've been tempted to introduce some Pistol just to run some option, but like you said, it is a lot of work. If you don't master it or only run it part time, it is going to be a disaster.

Are you trying to be run first? Option first? Pass first? Any QB run game?

I was trying to be run first... didn't work well! Tried running more option but blocking seemed to be an issue.

TXHusker05

NCAA Moderator
I was trying to be run first... didn't work well! Tried running more option but blocking seemed to be an issue.

Non-option run first is useless in Pistol. Not much diversity in run calls and the ones that exist aren't that great. You can run option, but you have to really commit to it. Pistol is best if you're pass first.