• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Option Offense

Atmore

At this point I'm just so tired of spread I wanna be different and I feel like this makes users do uncomfortable things because they never see it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm a flexbone til I die person and it's not as easy to pick up like spread but if you know they are playing AGG or CON that's 70% of the battle. Then everything else is formation to give yourself the numbers and the right plays to take advantage of it. I'm on PS3 so I'll try to make some videos explain what I do because I can lab with y'all

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

CoachTuck

I'm a flexbone til I die person and it's not as easy to pick up like spread but if you know they are playing AGG or CON that's 70% of the battle. Then everything else is formation to give yourself the numbers and the right plays to take advantage of it. I'm on PS3 so I'll try to make some videos explain what I do because I can lab with y'all

I've used it for a whole OD season but I feel like I'm not using it to its potential as far the game allows as some looks and user reactions stall me

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
The bear and the 4-4 but I'll throw on the 4-4 because there's LBs on slot backs but the bear can be from anything as soon as guys show blitz

The answer is nasty. It gets the receivers in the crack block the OLB/SS types.

8c915b3d663cbda734e995b15dd60636.jpg

CoachTuck

After a while I get into the mentality that when guys force a give read every time into these stacked up fronts your screwed

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
After a while I get into the mentality that when guys force a give read every time into these stacked up fronts your screwed

If they force a give read, start using WB dive and misdirection. Or just take the easy three yards in the dive.

CoachTuck

Lol at this rate I'm seeing like a dumb ass and I'll need an if then sheet NCAA 14 version

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Lol at this rate I'm seeing like a dumb ass and I'll need an if then sheet NCAA 14 version

Not at all.

Yes, the if-then sheets are what I use. I've got most of PJ's memorized now and have some of my own special things I like to do.

CoachTuck

The video game concessions sorta break the if then sheet for me because rocket toss is broken but that nugget from you about just cutting up load option gets me right into that bubble over the tackle, there's like Ken and PJs if then sheets then NCAA 14s

CoachTuck

Not at all.

Yes, the if-then sheets are what I use. I've got most of PJ's memorized now and have some of my own special things I like to do.
I see that Wing trips in the game translates to what you call trips, is the first formation you showed split wing ?

fanoftgame

I might have to look into it if I go with an option offense because I really like the balanced look a Wishbone backfield provides. I think the Wishbone set with 2 split WRs could be especially useful.

I keep going back and forth on what I want to do. Part of me wants to go really heavy power offense out of the Pistol with a little option here and there. Part of me wants to go Remember the Titans on people and just run Split/Wishbone/Wingbone Veer.

My little shoutout to wishbone

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Well shitfire! That's a downer. I know I've read of wishbone working at the goal line at least. Is that one ineffective otherwise?

With the Wishbone, it all depends on what you use. Be warned the run audible is almost always broken and will have your QB keep the ball.

I use the Wishbone to attack certain fronts I see when running the Flexbone, but other than that, I don't use it much.

Moved to option thread from pro style thread.

nofx94

With the Wishbone, it all depends on what you use. Be warned the run audible is almost always broken and will have your QB keep the ball.

I use the Wishbone to attack certain fronts I see when running the Flexbone, but other than that, I don't use it much.

Moved to option thread from pro style thread.
I wish multiple motions were possible. I used to really enjoy, for some reason, those occasions on fourth down wherein PJ would motion both backs into the wishbone trying to force offsides

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I wish multiple motions were possible. I used to really enjoy, for some reason, those occasions on fourth down wherein PJ would motion both backs into the wishbone trying to force offsides

Last week, I went into practice mode and tested every motion from the option formations imaginable. Yes, I was bored.

I found you can make a lot of interesting looks and plays from the flex. Not so much with the wishbone.

CoachTuck

Well just got called a cheesier in my OD for my lack of variety called out for every play being mid line and triple in a series based offense at that

Atmore

Well just got called a cheesier in my OD for my lack of variety called out for every play being mid line and triple

I get those messages too in lobby ball. Or Flex is a glitch offense smh. It's the hardest offense to run consistently and easiest to stop. Anyways let them cry

CoachTuck

I get those messages too in lobby ball. Or Flex is a glitch offense smh. It's the hardest offense to run consistently and easiest to stop. Anyways let them cry

Lol the problem is its in my OD so I'm taking shit tonight about basically running the same plays especially since we outlawed run committing and now they wanna bring it back after my last game against the Commish tonight I won 28-7 ran the ball 60 times

Atmore

Lol the problem is its in my OD so I'm taking shit tonight about basically running the same plays especially since we outlawed run committing and now they wanna bring it back after my last game against the Commish tonight I won 28-7 ran the ball 60 times

That's pretty lame! It's realistic I mean that's basically what Flex is do it until you have to change

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
These people don't know the difference between a concept and a play I might just quit the OD

Was this a Nutopian OD or another group? I know no one here would scoff at the flex. You're more than welcome to join us.

I run flex in the Powerhouse OD and have never been called for cheese. Triple and midline account for about 65% of PJ and Niumatalolo's offenses. Everything else is a constraint.

CoachTuck

Was this a Nutopian OD or another group? I know no one here would scoff at the flex. You're more than welcome to join us.

I run flex in the Powerhouse OD and have never been called for cheese. Triple and midline account for about 65% of PJ and Niumatalolo's offenses. Everything else is a constraint.
It was in another group, then when I did whip out the speed sweep and load option those were 10 yard gains, guy said it was most boring time he had playing this game lol

Last edited:

CoachTuck

Just lull them to sleep and... BAM!
First time I went speed sweep it was a 60 yard gain in the second half, also went 6-6 145 yd 2 TD on PA, guess their voting on bringing run commit back into the league though, I deal with whiners

Atmore

I don't feel like looking back but I remember someone saying they use Wishbone on the goaline. How do y'all run Wishbone? I can never get it right maybe I'm running towards the wrong front or reading blocks wrong. Or versus goaline defense what are you looking for

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I don't feel like looking back but I remember someone saying they use Wishbone on the goaline. How do y'all run Wishbone? I can never get it right maybe I'm running towards the wrong front or reading blocks wrong. Or versus goaline defense what are you looking for

FB Blast, toss, and lead are solid.

fanoftgame

I have a poor quality video of me running it online, on the previous page.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Finished season one with my flexbone offense in the Powerhouse OD. The results are below.

Stats for 2015:
34.9 PPG (7th ACC)
5891 Yards Total Offense (4th)
3394 Rushing Yards (1st) - #1 in the nation!
1553 Passing Yards (Last)
17 Pass TDs (4th)
33 Rush TDs (3rd)
12 Sacks Allowed (2nd)
187 1st Downs (11th)

65% 3rd Down (3rd)
92% 4th Down (1st)
66% 2-Point Conversions (6th)
88% Offensive Red Zone (3rd)
105 Penalty Yards (1st)
17 Giveaways (8th)

I finished the season 5-7, but every loss was due to defense.

My playcalling follows PJ's if-then rules with some exceptions. I NEVER use rocket due to blocking issues. Speed option was maybe used three times all year.

My base plays are:
  • Triple
  • Midline
  • Load (AKA Double) Option
These three plays accounted for roughly 85% of my offense. I use triple against even fronts, midline against odd fronts, and load against both. Against conservative option defense, I'll pull out the speed sweep, dive, and misdirection to get playmakers the ball. The only thing really missing from the offense is a designed QB keeper, something PJ has only recently started using.

The passing game consists of mostly two-man pass concepts: slants, curl/flat, smash, switch, etc. The deep ball game is mostly post/dig and four verts with some tweaks here and there.

My screen game is almost exclusively the now screen. I have found audibling to a pass and hot routing a flanker to a screen is better than a designed screen 9/10 times. It looks something like this without the A back blocking. I call it a "naked now" screen.

8-43.jpg

Atmore

Finished season one with my flexbone offense in the Powerhouse OD. The results are below.

Stats for 2015:
34.9 PPG (7th ACC)
17 Pass TDs (4th)
33 Rush TDs (3rd)
12 Sacks Allowed (2nd)
187 1st Downs (11th)

65% 3rd Down (3rd)
92% 4th Down (1st)
105 Penalty Yards (1st)
17 Giveaways (8th)

My playcalling follows PJ's if-then rules with some exceptions. I NEVER use rocket due to blocking issues. Speed option was maybe used three times all year.

My base plays are:
  • Triple
  • Midline
These three plays accounted for roughly 85% of my offense. I use triple against even fronts, midline against odd fronts, and load against both. Against conservative option defense, I'll pull out the speed sweep, dive, and misdirection to get playmakers the ball. The only thing really missing from the offense is a designed QB keeper, something PJ has only recently started using.

The passing game consists of mostly two-man pass concepts: slants, curl/flat, smash, switch, etc. The deep ball game is mostly post/dig and four verts with some tweaks here and there.

My screen game is almost exclusively the now screen. I have found audibling to a pass and hot routing a flanker to a screen is better than a designed screen 9/10 times. It looks something like this without the A back blocking. I call it a "naked now" screen.

8-43.jpg
So with backed off CBs you would "now screen" and do what with your A-Backs?

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Running the Load option at the 1 tech and just cutting inside the bubble ?

I read the 4i or 5 tech, which typically is paired with a 1 tech. Most of the big runs have been those that Thomas has cut upfield inside the EMLOS.

CoachTuck

I read the 4i or 5 tech, which typically is paired with a 1 tech. Most of the big runs have been those that Thomas has cut upfield inside the EMLOS.
I myself haven't really been getting big gains with it although it is 7 or so yards here and there

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I myself haven't really been getting big gains with it although it is 7 or so yards here and there

The key is to have a quick QB. He doesn't necessarily have to be the fastest guy, but his acceleration rating should be in the 80's.

CoachTuck

The key is to have a quick QB. He doesn't necessarily have to be the fastest guy, but his acceleration rating should be in the 80's.
Even though the game gives the offense some quirks it's actually fun to run and is a bitch to stop I love seeing bear fronts now because it's either load option or triple and if I get a hand off read I go right off tackle virtually untouched

Atmore

8-43.jpg

What do you look for besides CB's backed off to call your The "Naked Now Screen?" I rarely ever throw screens besides the bubble from the Flexbone Pistol formation. Just thinking I could hot route the backside Wr in the Flex Normal Flood play. With the tail motion and other routes no need to do alot of hot routing. Then if for whatever reason the Cb closes in after the snap, I still have the flood on the other side

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
What do you look for besides CB's backed off to call your The "Naked Now Screen?" I rarely ever throw screens besides the bubble from the Flexbone Pistol formation. Just thinking I could hot route the backside Wr in the Flex Normal Flood play. With the tail motion and other routes no need to do alot of hot routing. Then if for whatever reason the Cb closes in after the snap, I still have the flood on the other side

Soft coverage is the key.

Atmore

Some of my favorite
Goaline plays

I ONLY run this to the right because flipping the run may cause the play to mess up and no hand off
uploadfromtaptalk1451592478995.jpg

Once they adjust/over commit right you call this but flip the play(the right A-Back doesn't move) and it compliments the first play.

uploadfromtaptalk1451592681350.jpg

Atmore

Those two plays are topped off with the load option pass. It's easily the best rollout pass out of the playbook.
I like to use that play against user who play MLB and in the middle of the field. They over pursue and the A Back is usually open right behind them. The other 2 are perfect for goaline. I have WB Dive as my run audible in normal and close (joystick down). It works perfect for people stacking the box or goaline when they pinch the Dline. Just take the hand off and cut outside

Atmore

My favorite pass play versus zone. I hot route the B-Back to go towards sideline(joystick right not controller) and it becomes a high/low flood towards the sideline with a corner and post route high. I passed to the wrong man but it still worked lol
uploadfromtaptalk1451600646190.jpg

Atmore

How does recruting Wrs go for y'all? I get Wrs that want to play for me but they are always slow. Even if he's a 4-5 star high ranked guy after I scout him he's slow and can barely catch. I'm wondering if I change my philosophy to spread could I get better WRs.

bruin228

NCAA Moderator
How does recruting Wrs go for y'all? I get Wrs that want to play for me but they are always slow. Even if he's a 4-5 star high ranked guy after I scout him he's slow and can barely catch. I'm wondering if I change my philosophy to spread could I get better WRs.

Depends what you mean by changing philosophy. If you just change your offense type to "spread" but are still running the triple option stuff and running 80% of the time, WRs are still going to be less interested in you if they're concerned about play style. If you change to an actual spread offense and throw the ball more, you'll get more interest because you'll be averaging 250 YPG passing or whatever.

NavyHog

Utopia Moderator
NCAA Moderator

Stats for 2015:
34.9 PPG (7th ACC)
17 Pass TDs (4th)
33 Rush TDs (3rd)
12 Sacks Allowed (2nd)
187 1st Downs (11th)

65% 3rd Down (3rd)
92% 4th Down (1st)
105 Penalty Yards (1st)
17 Giveaways (8th)

My base plays are:
  • Triple
  • Midline

8-43.jpg

Belated shoutout to @JSU Zack for this write-up. I'm going to give this a shot in the Ivy League.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
Whenever I come back, I'm reimplementing this. I consistently had better chances by playing this style and keeping the other offense off the field.