1. We have updated to a new version of XenForo. If you were using the "Kella" custom style, you need to switch to the Utopia or Alternate style. Do this in your user preferences.
    Dismiss Notice

Option Offense

Discussion in 'NCAA Football Discussion' started by Hachiko, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Atmore

Atmore Active Member

I don't feel like looking back but I remember someone saying they use Wishbone on the goaline. How do y'all run Wishbone? I can never get it right maybe I'm running towards the wrong front or reading blocks wrong. Or versus goaline defense what are you looking for

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

2. JSU Zack

JSU Zack How do I IT?

Team:
    Alabama
    FB Blast, toss, and lead are solid.

Atmore likes this.
  3. fanoftgame

fanoftgame Active Member

I have a poor quality video of me running it online, on the previous page.

4. JSU Zack

JSU Zack How do I IT?

Team:
    Alabama
    Finished season one with my flexbone offense in the Powerhouse OD. The results are below.

Stats for 2015:
    34.9 PPG (7th ACC)
    5891 Yards Total Offense (4th)
    3394 Rushing Yards (1st) - #1 in the nation!
    1553 Passing Yards (Last)
    17 Pass TDs (4th)
    33 Rush TDs (3rd)
    12 Sacks Allowed (2nd)
    187 1st Downs (11th)

65% 3rd Down (3rd)
    92% 4th Down (1st)
    66% 2-Point Conversions (6th)
    88% Offensive Red Zone (3rd)
    105 Penalty Yards (1st)
    17 Giveaways (8th)

I finished the season 5-7, but every loss was due to defense.

My playcalling follows PJ's if-then rules with some exceptions. I NEVER use rocket due to blocking issues. Speed option was maybe used three times all year.

My base plays are:
    • Triple
    • Midline
    • Load (AKA Double) Option
    These three plays accounted for roughly 85% of my offense. I use triple against even fronts, midline against odd fronts, and load against both. Against conservative option defense, I'll pull out the speed sweep, dive, and misdirection to get playmakers the ball. The only thing really missing from the offense is a designed QB keeper, something PJ has only recently started using.

The passing game consists of mostly two-man pass concepts: slants, curl/flat, smash, switch, etc. The deep ball game is mostly post/dig and four verts with some tweaks here and there.

My screen game is almost exclusively the now screen. I have found audibling to a pass and hot routing a flanker to a screen is better than a designed screen 9/10 times. It looks something like this without the A back blocking. I call it a "naked now" screen.

[​IMG]

NavyHog likes this.
  5. Atmore

Atmore Active Member

So with backed off CBs you would "now screen" and do what with your A-Backs?

6. CoachTuck

CoachTuck Member

Team:
    The Ohio State University
    Running the Load option at the 1 tech and just cutting inside the bubble ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. JSU Zack

JSU Zack How do I IT?

Team:
    Alabama
    I read the 4i or 5 tech, which typically is paired with a 1 tech. Most of the big runs have been those that Thomas has cut upfield inside the EMLOS.

8. CoachTuck

CoachTuck Member

Team:
    I myself haven't really been getting big gains with it although it is 7 or so yards here and there

9. JSU Zack

JSU Zack How do I IT?

Team:
    Alabama
    The key is to have a quick QB. He doesn't necessarily have to be the fastest guy, but his acceleration rating should be in the 80's.

10. CoachTuck

CoachTuck Member

Team:
    Even though the game gives the offense some quirks it's actually fun to run and is a bitch to stop I love seeing bear fronts now because it's either load option or triple and if I get a hand off read I go right off tackle virtually untouched

11. Atmore

Atmore Active Member

What do you look for besides CB's backed off to call your The "Naked Now Screen?" I rarely ever throw screens besides the bubble from the Flexbone Pistol formation. Just thinking I could hot route the backside Wr in the Flex Normal Flood play. With the tail motion and other routes no need to do alot of hot routing. Then if for whatever reason the Cb closes in after the snap, I still have the flood on the other side

12. JSU Zack

JSU Zack How do I IT?

Team:
    Alabama
    Soft coverage is the key.

13. Atmore

Atmore Active Member

Some of my favorite
    Goaline plays

I ONLY run this to the right because flipping the run may cause the play to mess up and no hand off
    uploadfromtaptalk1451592478995.jpg

Once they adjust/over commit right you call this but flip the play(the right A-Back doesn't move) and it compliments the first play.

uploadfromtaptalk1451592681350.jpg

fanoftgame likes this.
  14. JSU Zack

JSU Zack How do I IT?

Team:
    Alabama
    Those two plays are topped off with the load option pass. It's easily the best rollout pass out of the playbook.

Atmore likes this.
  15. Atmore

Atmore Active Member

I like to use that play against user who play MLB and in the middle of the field. They over pursue and the A Back is usually open right behind them. The other 2 are perfect for goaline. I have WB Dive as my run audible in normal and close (joystick down). It works perfect for people stacking the box or goaline when they pinch the Dline. Just take the hand off and cut outside

16. Atmore

Atmore Active Member

My favorite pass play versus zone. I hot route the B-Back to go towards sideline(joystick right not controller) and it becomes a high/low flood towards the sideline with a corner and post route high. I passed to the wrong man but it still worked lol
    uploadfromtaptalk1451600646190.jpg

17. Atmore

Atmore Active Member

How does recruting Wrs go for y'all? I get Wrs that want to play for me but they are always slow. Even if he's a 4-5 star high ranked guy after I scout him he's slow and can barely catch. I'm wondering if I change my philosophy to spread could I get better WRs.

18. bruin228

bruin228 Madden Mobile Addict NCAA Moderator

Team:
    LEACH
    Depends what you mean by changing philosophy. If you just change your offense type to "spread" but are still running the triple option stuff and running 80% of the time, WRs are still going to be less interested in you if they're concerned about play style. If you change to an actual spread offense and throw the ball more, you'll get more interest because you'll be averaging 250 YPG passing or whatever.

19. NavyHog

NavyHog Well-Known Member Utopia Moderator NCAA Moderator

Belated shoutout to @JSU Zack for this write-up. I'm going to give this a shot in the Ivy League.

JSU Zack likes this.
  20. JSU Zack

JSU Zack How do I IT?

Team:
    Alabama
    Whenever I come back, I'm reimplementing this. I consistently had better chances by playing this style and keeping the other offense off the field.