• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Official BYU 2015 Thread

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
Big news, so time to start a new thread, methinks.

BYU and LSU will meet in their 2017 football season-opener at the AdvoCare Kickoff at NRG Stadium in Houston on Sept. 2, the two schools announced Thursday.
It will mark the first meeting between the Cougars and Tigers of the Southeastern Conference.

This is the second team from the SEC to announce a game with the Cougars in the past two months. It seems that while the SEC saying BYU isn't a big-time opponent may hurt the Cougars, they're still getting quality teams to play them. Given BYU's standing in college football right now, this is a pretty good get.

Wooly

When will LSU come to Provo for a game? When will major schools come to Provo?

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
BYU and Michigan State have announced a series.

The teams will meet for the first time with BYU traveling to East Lansing, Michigan, Oct. 8, 2016. The two schools will meet again in Provo on Sept. 12, 2020.

Cue Wooly's speculation that the Spartans will never come to Provo. It's a thought that has merit. But for all we know BYU will be in the PAC-16 at that point, too. It doesn't bode well for fans who want good home games to have things so far out, but I'll bet that at least a few of these will stick. Only time will tell.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
ESPN now reporting that the ACC has changed and they will now accept BYU as counting as a power team along with P5 and Notre Dame.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
Two years ago, BYU and Arizona announced a three-game series for 9/3/2016 in Glendale, 9/1/2018 in Tucson and 2020. The first two games remain, but the third has changed. It will move to 9/4/2021 in Las Vegas (it had been set for Provo in 2020).

Today, two more games were added to this as well. 9/12/2026 the teams will meet in Provo and they will play in Tucson 9/11/2027.

Personally, I don't understand the Vegas thing. It's a small stadium unless there's going to be a new stadium built to try and lure the NFL or something. Otherwise, I really don't get that one.

I also don't get why BYU made an agreement of this kind where they play Arizona three times away from home before they come to Provo. I could see it with Alabama or Florida or something like that. But Arizona? I'm guessing that the Glendale game and maybe the Vegas game will potentially be more money because of the venue?

Wooly

I don't understand why BYU can't get better deals with Teir 2 programs. They have a lot of national draw, and ESPN helping broker deals for TV, why don't they have more leverage?

Bdub

I don't understand why BYU can't get better deals with Teir 2 programs. They have a lot of national draw, and ESPN helping broker deals for TV, why don't they have more leverage?
I think it's clear, they don't have the national draw outside of Utah that many in this area think they do. By 2020 will BYU even have any home games against FBS opponents?

Wooly

They do though. They sell out stadiums on the road, and they have some great ratings for ESPN. IIRC, those numbers have been posted here before, and BYU draws great. I am guessing that a big part of this is that BYU needs games desperately, and other teams know that when it comes time to negotiate.

Bdub

They do though. They sell out stadiums on the road, and they have some great ratings for ESPN. IIRC, those numbers have been posted here before, and BYU draws great. I am guessing that a big part of this is that BYU needs games desperately, and other teams know that when it comes time to negotiate.
I agree with you when it comes to the middle tier teams. The problem is, how does BYU draw better against the big time teams? They don't, and you just can't expect to draw top teams to provo. The only reason Utah can is their PAC 12 affiliation.

This is why I think BYU needs to exit independence as soon as humanly possible. If they don't, they will continue to fade into the abyss as both football and basketball continue to slide.

I can't stand BYU but they are good for Utah and I would hate to see them turn into the third best team in the state.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
ESPN is reporting that the SEC will now count BYU, Army and Notre Dame in the Power 5 requirement for non-con games.

On the heels of this, there are reports that BYU and Mississippi State have a home-and-home for 2016 and 2017. I also saw a rumor that Ole Miss is in the works for BYU, too. Although I wonder if it is really Mississippi State and the person was confused. Either way, BYU getting some SEC game. And the MSU game isn't too far away. Probably play in Mississippi first, but we'll get a quick check to see if the game in Provo actually happens.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
I just noticed that the 2016 game with MSU will be in Provo. So BYU got a home game first, and it's an SEC team.

Errybody better keep an eye on @Wooly since this is exactly what he's been saying BYU needs to do.

Last edited:

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
Official announcement today of the MSU series, with the games being in October. The first game will be in Provo.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
BYU will play at San Jose State on Friday, November 6, 2015 at 8:30pm PT on CBS Sports Network.

I was already worried that the schedule was too loaded and BYU's defense wasn't good enough to have a winning record. And then they go and do this. smh

ZeekLTK

BYU and Michigan State have announced a series.

The teams will meet for the first time with BYU traveling to East Lansing, Michigan, Oct. 8, 2016. The two schools will meet again in Provo on Sept. 12, 2020.

Cue Wooly's speculation that the Spartans will never come to Provo. It's a thought that has merit. But for all we know BYU will be in the PAC-16 at that point, too. It doesn't bode well for fans who want good home games to have things so far out, but I'll bet that at least a few of these will stick. Only time will tell.

I'm sure we'll be there. We also have an away game against Boise State set for 2022. I'll be disappointed if these games get cancelled, but I don't think they will.

We just played at Oregon and have away games against Miami FL and Arizona State coming up too. Plus we played at Central and will be playing at Western soon, so I see no reason we'd back out.

I mean, we aren't like an SEC team who is afraid to go play away games (or even leave their own state). :trollface:

ZeekLTK

Official announcement today of the MSU series, with the games being in October. The first game will be in Provo.

Where do you see this? All the schedules I've looked at have the first game being in East Lansing, and the 2020 game being in Provo.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
My apologies. That MSU comment was for the my post just before that about the Mississippi State series that recently got signed as well. That post was not about the Michigan State series.

Wooly

Where do you see this? All the schedules I've looked at have the first game being in East Lansing, and the 2020 game being in Provo.

That sounds about right. Some of these far off return trips might happen, but I bet at least 2/3 get cancelled. BYU is in trouble if they stay independent and can't get good home games. It's hard to be relevant when no one wants to play you and you are not in a conference to force them to play you.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
BYU and the University of Toledo have agreed to a two-game football series in 2016 and 2019.

The teams will meet at LaVell Edwards Stadium on Sept. 30, 2016, with the second game being played at the Glass Bowl in Toledo, Ohio on Sept. 28, 2019.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
The home game against Wisconsin in 2019 has been rescheduled to September 16, 2017 at LaVell Edwards Stadium.

Looks like some teams who scheduled the game in Provo in the future plan to actually make it happen.

The 2017 season currently looks like this:

[xtable]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Saturday
Sep. 2{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}LSU Tigers
NRG Stadium, Houston, TX{/td}
{td}TBA{/td}
{td}---{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Saturday
Sep. 9{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}Utah Utes
LaVell Edwards Stadium, Provo, UT{/td}
{td}TBA{/td}
{td}---{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Saturday
Sep. 16{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}Wisconsin Badgers
{td}TBA{/td}
{td}---{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Saturday
Sep. 23{/td}
{td}---{/td}
{td}TBA{/td}
{td}---{/td}
{td}---{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Friday
Sep. 29{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}at Utah State Aggies
Romney Stadium, Logan, UT{/td}
{td}TBA{/td}
{td}---{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Saturday
Oct. 7{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}Boise State Broncos
{td}TBA{/td}
{td}---{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Saturday
Oct. 14{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}at Mississippi State Bulldogs
Davis Wade Stadium, Starkville, MS{/td}
{td}TBA{/td}
{td}---{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Saturday
Oct. 21{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}at East Carolina Pirates
Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium, Greenville, NC{/td}
{td}TBA{/td}
{td}---{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Saturday
Oct. 28{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}San Jose State Spartans
{td}TBA{/td}
{td}---{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Saturday
Nov. 4{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}at Fresno State Bulldogs
Bulldog Stadium, Fresno, CA{/td}
{td}TBA{/td}
{td}---{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Saturday
Nov. 11{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}at UNLV Rebels
Sam Boyd Stadium, Las Vegas, NV{/td}
{td}TBA{/td}
{td}---{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Saturday
Nov. 18{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}UMass Minutemen
{td}TBA{/td}
{td}---{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Saturday
Nov. 25{/td}
{td} {/td}
{td}at Hawaii Rainbow Warriors {/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
1984 from Nebraska's perspective

None of this matters because the Cougars have the crystal football, but I found this article very interesting.

I've often been amused by people who say BYU didn't deserve the 1984 championship because most of those people who I hear say it weren't even alive to know the whole story. They just base it on their perception of BYU.

But this article explains why this guy (and probably many) voted BYU #1 at the end of the season.

I was too young to care, but I remember watching the game. I remember thinking it was really cool that BYU won that championship, but I also thought it was something that happened often. So I didn't know the situation with all the other teams in the country and what was going on. So this is the best article I've read explaining the whole thing.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
I accidentally put this in the BYU @ Nebraska thread. I meant to put it here. So here it is again:

The schools announced Wednesday that the Cougars and Utes will clash the opening week of the 2019 season in Provo and the opening week of the 2020 season in Salt Lake City.

It appears that BYU helped make the 2019 game happen by moving a season opener against Wisconsin originally set for 2019 to 2017.

We'll find out soon enough if the fears talked about here that big-name teams would cancel the return trips to Provo will come true or not. Some big names coming to Provo in the next couple of years.

Wanted to point out that it was also said when BYU went independent that they'd end up playing a lot of non-Saturday games. They do have three Friday night games this year (just for comparison, Utah has two). But one of those is a road game on CBS Sports Network, so not an ESPN decision. Lots of late-night games (5, but three of those are on Fridays), but that's becoming the norm for teams in the West now (Utah's about to have their third late-night game in as many weeks with one each on Thursday and Friday). So not as bad as what was thought at first.

jamesnathan

Resident Mormon
I'm in the middle of a bunch of meetings this week, so I haven't taken time to read. But for now, at least, it looks like just that one game.

Bdub

This thread is dead so I will just post this.
1ceedabd0fac9e3067df5c09a80b3aa9.jpg