• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

New League Discussion

NML

The best things are stuff that people don’t have to participate in that they don’t want to. A rookie league with optional participation is a good example. A live sim a couple times a week where people can watch if they are around.

Things that require a lot of (all?) people to be involved probably won’t work

NML

I’m actually pro Rule 5, but just like other things it’s about implementing in a way that works for people who don’t care

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Here are some great gimmicks that could start the cookies baking!

In order to replace IFA, with something that will help HAVE NOTS more, we should make a system similar to a beefed up RULE 5 DRAFT where you can place CLAIMS on people's minor league players if they are being abused (do simulation players have rights?) The abusing manager must either move the player to the proper team or relinquish them. All claims would be handled in a CLAIM thread that is sort of like the TRADES thread.

-Any player 24 or older on A roster may be claimed (Manager must move them to AA or AAA to keep them).
-Any player 25 or older on AA roster may be claimed (Manager must move them to AAA to keep them).
-Any player 26 or older or with 6 or more years of pro service may be claimed from any level of the minors (Manager must move them to 25 man to keep them). The team claiming them places them directly on their 25 man roster for the rest of the season or they must send them back. This might seem controversial, but it would keep teams from stockpiling DEPTH players that could be on the 25 man roster for a HAVE NOT.

We could also have an ENHANCED HUNGER GAMES DRAFT where Playoff teams can choose to donate prospects to the HUNGER GAMES DRAFT for non playoff teams. In order to encourage quality donations, performance based compensatory draft picks (4th-2nd round) may be rewarded to the playoff teams if a player they donated exceeds certain performance thresholds. So that this isn't a pain on the Os, the person who donates the player will have to track the performance (put player on short list) and make a claim for their compensatory pick.

I'll even highlight them for you if you're having trouble reading!

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Si hay un jugador en nivel "A" y lo tiene mas de 24 años, un otro GM puede "lanzar gauntlet" y el GM del jugador necesita pone el jugador en nivel "AA". Si no ponelo, el jugador se va al equipo del otro GM.

Last edited:

jdlikewhoa

So then why am I even bothering scouring FA or making trades to build depth in my system, or spending 15% of my budget in player development when I'm just going to have to give those players away to some HAVE NOT

giphy.gif

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Look I actually don't care and just want to nickname some things to make everything sound cooler but:

24 year olds shouldn't be in A ball anyways, if they are either the GM is bad or the GM is Wooly gaining an advantage. I probably have a couple on my A roster, but they aren't starters because that'd be a waste of everyone's time, I just have them as captains or whatever.

jdlikewhoa

Look I actually don't care and just want to nickname some things to make everything sound cooler but:

24 year olds shouldn't be in A ball anyways, if they are either the GM is bad or the GM is Wooly gaining an advantage. I probably have a couple on my A roster, but they aren't starters because that'd be a waste of everyone's time, I just have them as captains or whatever.
TBH I don't actually care. An age cap in Rookie, A, or AA is fine but AAA is a bridge too far

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Age cap in AA makes no sense. Some AA teams are closer to WBL cities, stashing AAA players in AA means shorter flights when promoted and reduced fatigue on that first call up day

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
That's not the way the relationships with minor league teams work. WBL teams don't own the minor league teams, they sign a contract with the orgs. Besides, WBL Designs (Orlando) have gotten stricter about rebranding.

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Wait in yalls league there’s actually people who intentionally keep numbers off the 40 man roster?

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
That's not the way the relationships with minor league teams work. WBL teams don't own the minor league teams, they sign a contract with the orgs. Besides, WBL Designs (Orlando) have gotten stricter about rebranding.
I stole/revived two of Orlando's old designs then used the standard OOTP forum design for my third team. Though that's more because no team aesthetic will ever top Casablanca Time + Madrid Goldblums

I would hate (and by hate I mean love) to just relocate AGAIN but if we're really jumping 20 years into the viewers I suppose I should move Fortaleza to Casablanca and reclaim my destiny

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I think the CLAIM system is the best way to alleviate WOOLY type fuckshit with the minors and also to force inattentive owners to pay attention to their minor league teams. If someone claims ur guy you still have recourse to keep them. I'd even be fine if it was just forcing you to put them on ur 40 man. If the player is on ur 40 man roster, then the HAVE NOT can only take them away if they give you a 3rd round pick? You can always put them on ur active roster to keep them.

For example, some HAVE NOT team could see 28 year old PEDRO PEREZ who has 6 years of pro service, but is not on @jdlikewhoa's 40 man roster. I could THREWN THE GAUNTLET at Perez and force JD to at least put him on the 40 man roster.

Or I could be like "Hey JD, move this 29 year old Donald Anderson who is playing in A up to AAA or I'm taking him!" (he's odd because he only has 2 years of service time)

And just to show wat's good for the goose is good for the trogger, someone could THREWN GAUNTLET at me for Jose Augiuano

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Age cap in AA makes no sense. Some AA teams are closer to WBL cities, stashing AAA players in AA means shorter flights when promoted and reduced fatigue on that first call up day

Shorter flights? Now you're really fucking with my immersion. You have players flying across the universe divide on off days!

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I don't think we'd need ROOKIE ball if we got rid of IFA and instituted the GAUNTLET CLAIM system! I'd go around claiming all ur fucking 32 year old pitchers who are hurting the feelings of my 18 year old players who are just out of HS.

jdlikewhoa

I think the CLAIM system is the best way to alleviate WOOLY type fuckshit with the minors and also to force inattentive owners to pay attention to their minor league teams. If someone claims ur guy you still have recourse to keep them. I'd even be fine if it was just forcing you to put them on ur 40 man. If the player is on ur 40 man roster, then the HAVE NOT can only take them away if they give you a 3rd round pick? You can always put them on ur active roster to keep them.

For example, some HAVE NOT team could see 28 year old PEDRO PEREZ who has 6 years of pro service, but is not on @jdlikewhoa's 40 man roster. I could THREWN THE GAUNTLET at Perez and force JD to at least put him on the 40 man roster.

Or I could be like "Hey JD, move this 29 year old Donald Anderson who is playing in A up to AAA or I'm taking him!" (he's odd because he only has 2 years of service time)

And just to show wat's good for the goose is good for the trogger, someone could THREWN GAUNTLET at me for Jose Augiuano

Don’t fuck with my Douglas Tagg School of VETERAN LEADERSHIP graduates.

Reel

Off dem Milds and dat Yak
Community Liaison
Potential new member here

But, has anyone answered @worst2first question?

He said he was interested but wanted to know which version was being used and I didn't see anyone quote his post to answer him. If you did behind the scenes then this post is moot.

As another new potential member, I would've probably stopped coming in here. His post was #190. At the time of my post, we're at #275.

Engage the prospects y'all

NML

There’s a ton of posts to get through so it’s easy to miss, but this is from the first page

Also, forgot to mention but this would be a good time/excuse to switch to OOTP 20!

@worst2first

Reel brings up a good point, we get engaged in this circle jerk of stuff but should address the points that new players actually bring up

Reel

Community Liaison
I understand that too but it just appeared that through the mud flinging, his post just got lost

I'm reading the posts trying to follow what's going on though. I'm trying to articulate my thoughts before I add what I would like to see as a potential new member

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Sorry Reel and other new members, but if I don't post at least 3 fanfic references in every OOTP thread my immersion goes down

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reel

Community Liaison
@Reel address my concern that you’ll quit within 2 seasons, lowering my immersion
The only thing about this game that takes 5 min is trying to like all the posts that kill me from laughing

But I'm going to share what I told NML in the convo that he and I had because I think it's time I spoke on why my immersion declined

Reel

Community Liaison
So, here it is

Baseball is not my first sport of interest. I keep trying to get into it and hockey but that's another thread for another day.

But to the uniniated, baseball sounds overwhelming af lol. My reverse development of players stemmed from my frustrations from not seeing immediate returns from my players. I get basketball or rather my understanding of it has gotten better throughout the years so the fact that I couldn't play my newly drafted no 1 pick in the majors was confusing af to me, then I thought, why tf not lol. This was probably the most fun I had if I'm being honest. Seeing y'all perplexed that I was having some success was kinda gratifying.

I would also get discouraged with the trolling that came as a result. I'm all for a good joke but one of the things that has run rampant on this site is the overkill that comes with someone being made fun of. Like after the 5th time or so, I'm like, let's move on.

Also, once my guard is up, I'm super suspicious of "advice" after that and start to question the sincerity of it.

I admitted to NML that I could've possibly mitigated a lot of things by googling but I wanted to take the "bar" approach and ask because I felt that was the best way to get advice broken down to a level where I could understand it and even that was hit or miss.

Add all this shit up with a ton of real life personal issues I was going through, trying to find 5 min felt like a chore and caused me to just fall back completely.

While I'm still very much busy these days, I'm willing to commit to this for the long term

Let's go

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Ok, I'm home.

Christ, you guys argued for six pages about this already? TL;DR

My main issues:

1. Starting over seems drastic. There's no guarantee that we won't start shedding owners within a few months, and my immersion would go down the tubes if that happened in a new league that I'm not invested in.

2. Look at the OOTP forums. As far as longevity goes and some of the frankly ridiculous setups other use, the WBL is miles ahead of most online leagues. Curt rues the day he decided to spend five minutes a day reading the Turner Diaries and shitposting instead of steering the Boston Barnacles (or whatever that accursed franchise was) to glory.

3. We all love to argue about rules and end up doing nothing, but I think we could agree on some changes to keep this monorail on the track.

4. @jdlikewhoa doesn't yet seem to have made a deal to send Torkel home.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
So, here it is

Baseball is not my first sport of interest. I keep trying to get into it and hockey but that's another thread for another day.

But to the uniniated, baseball sounds overwhelming af lol. My reverse development of players stemmed from my frustrations from not seeing immediate returns from my players. I get basketball or rather my understanding of it has gotten better throughout the years so the fact that I couldn't play my newly drafted no 1 pick in the majors was confusing af to me, then I thought, why tf not lol. This was probably the most fun I had if I'm being honest. Seeing y'all perplexed that I was having some success was kinda gratifying.

I would also get discouraged with the trolling that came as a result. I'm all for a good joke but one of the things that has run rampant on this site is the overkill that comes with someone being made fun of. Like after the 5th time or so, I'm like, let's move on.

Also, once my guard is up, I'm super suspicious of "advice" after that and start to question the sincerity of it.

I admitted to NML that I could've possibly mitigated a lot of things by googling but I wanted to take the "bar" approach and ask because I felt that was the best way to get advice broken down to a level where I could understand it and even that was hit or miss.

Add all this shit up with a ton of real life personal issues I was going through, trying to find 5 min felt like a chore and caused me to just fall back completely.

While I'm still very much busy these days, I'm willing to commit to this for the long term

Let's go
Sincerity of advice being shaky is definitely understandable given the average post from Travis and I

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
There’s a ton of posts to get through so it’s easy to miss, but this is from the first page

@worst2first

Reel brings up a good point, we get engaged in this circle jerk of stuff but should address the points that new players actually bring up

There's no way those Indy Dev pigs are getting the full 40 from me when we just passed on the ASB sale because no one wanted to upgrade, lol.