1. We have updated to a new version of XenForo. If you were using the "Kella" custom style, you need to switch to the Utopia or Alternate style. Do this in your user preferences.
    Dismiss Notice

MSU and Larry Nassar

Discussion in 'Other College Sports Discussion' started by DeadMan, Jan 18, 2018.

1. MSUFanatic

MSUFanatic Well-Known Member

Team:
    Michigan State
  2. adchester

adchester Dog for life

Team:
    Minnesota-Duluth
    Oh yeah, hat makes it so much better! Wait, no it doesn’t :loser:

3. MSUFanatic

Team:
    Michigan State
    It doesn't, don't think I said that anywhere. Good reading comp. When media has been trying to twist Larry Nassar and his crimes to intertwine with athletic programs (sans gymnastics) and claiming there is a systemic culture of rape among MSU versus sticking to facts, it's good to make sure correct facts are actually stated.

If anything this is another step in MSU showing they are serious about turning over every stone to hold those responsible for allowing something like this to happen. Good clean house, like every sensible individual has been saying.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  4. DeadMan

DeadMan aka spiker or DeadMong

Team:
    Michigan
    https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2018/04/13/michigan-state-title-ix-lawsuit-2015-final-four

Also: https://sports.yahoo.com/ridiculous...chigan-state-needs-clean-house-222116940.html

To summarize what's been happening:
    • MSU gets sued by a student who was allegedly raped by basketball players. MSU violates federal law and releases personal information about the student, including that she saw a university counselor multiple times after the rape. Counselors also allegedly told her that she shouldn't pursue anything against the players. And they also said other MSU athletes had raped women at MSU... I mean, just what the fuck?
    • Meanwhile, the MSU President met with a victim and asked her for a number to settle her case (not that matters, but it was absurdly low). The victim just wanted to talk to him about his hurtful comments. In that meeting, he also lied and said the first victim to come over had given him a number. He's never met with her. He then said that the other arrest of the Dean in the post above wasn't a big deal because it was just a slap on the butt. Side note: he's a lawyer and came a little close to an ethics violation by meeting with the victim in the first place.
    • The MSU President also said that taxpayers and students would be on the hook for any settlements here and proposed a 3% tuition increase.

I mean, I don't even know anymore. The entire board of trustees at MSU and the President has to be replaced at this point. They don't get it at all, and they're destroying the MSU's reputation pretty fast.

Travis7401 likes this.
  5. goblue96

goblue96 Disney and Curling Expert

Team:
    Michigan
    My understanding of Michigan and/or federal law (I’m just a simple a hyper chicken) is that the settlement money can not come from tuition increases. It has to come from a separate pool of money even if that pool is an insurance policy.

Irishman likes this.
  6. MSUFanatic

Team:
    Michigan State
    Lot to digest, but let's look at both parts of this. MSU did release a statement after J Doe released to the public her own lawsuit. It isn't violating any federal law (at least what I have read?), but MSU did back track and "regret" what they released. This is what they ended up in the release.

So I guess take it for what it is? The release from her attorney was strong, I thought the statement MSU needed to make to defend itself needed to strong as well. I suppose it may have been poor, but the fact that J Doe still has yet to file a Title XI complaint nor did she follow up with PD (non MSU affiliated) are pretty important factors. The suit is about whether or not MSUCC followed correct procedures. That's pretty unknown at this point. She could have absolutely been raped. Not disputing that, but they need to determine whether or not correct procedures were followed by MSUCC and that's really unknown right now.

As far as the payment and the raise in tuition. Both of those things occurred in whatever this meeting is. That's now been refuted by 3 separate individuals. Another he said she said, but needs something needs to be figured out. There needs to be more clean up as it goes, but let's not mince words and just report all these headlines. I'm all for cleaning house, I also want answers to very important questions to make sure this never happens again at MSU or anywhere else.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  7. Mr. Radpants

Mr. Radpants Friendship Drive Charging

Team:
    Dublin
    I think burning it to the ground is what it takes

8. Mr. Radpants

Team:
    Dublin
    Editing out "if that's what it takes" after I post, lmao

9. MSUFanatic

Team:
    Michigan State
    Figure of speech that I poorly used, I'm agreeing with you.

Bit difficult to tread on a fine line of discussion and defense. Sorry I'm not good at first passes and try and fix things that may be in error. You pointed out something I said, and you are right.

Burning down those responsible for allowing things like this to happen is 100% the correct thing to do.

10. DeadMan

Team:
    Michigan
    Yeah, that is a violation of FERPA (and apparently another law I've never heard of before): https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...rivacy-laws-statement-rape-lawsuit/509906002/ MSU's

But, that's not the real problem here. The real problem is that MSU just told every sexual assault victim that goes to MSU for help that their dirty laundry might be aired in public in the future. It makes her decision not to follow up with MSU's title IX office entirely correct! Plus, they're even telling the public what she said to a counselor. That is a huge problem! If you're a going to a counseling session, you generally don't want people to even know you're going. And MSU went beyond that in the statement.

The point being is that MSU is still making it harder for sexual assault victims to get the help they need.

Really? This is pathetic. He said, she said. One side of this is John Engler, who is a piece of shit and only interested in limiting MSU's liability. He doesn't even deny what happened in the meeting:

The other side are victims of Nasser and MSU, who have been constantly proven right. But, yeah, it's "he said, she said." Good lord.

11. DeadMan

Team:
    Michigan
    https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...michigan-state-larry-nassar-engler/527681002/

MSU's special counsel to Engler is now saying that the victims are trying to set up MSU. These people have no shame.

goblue96 and kella like this.
  12. Dr. Shats Basoon

Dr. Shats Basoon Your friend a dog

13. Skeeter

Skeeter Well-Known Member

I'd get diddled for 1.5 mil

14. sayo

sayo Well-Known Member

Team:
    RipCity
    Fuck off

15. Skeeter

Skeeter Well-Known Member

16. Irishman

Irishman Administrative Fäggot

I'd probably laugh if 332 people's damaged lives and views on trust and healthy sexuality were something that could be fixed by a million and a half.

17. GatorTD

GatorTD Male Mod Alumni

Fuckin Ohio State.

18. bruin

bruin Well-Known Member

OH

silverwheels and Irishman like this.
  19. whiteyc_77

whiteyc_77 The Skeleton Debator Mod Alumni

Never change, anOSU fans.

-YTC

Irishman likes this.
  20. Mr. Radpants

Team:
    Dublin
    I'm just a pretend star pilot that writes simulation space baseball fan fiction and haikus, but that might be one of the worst posts in the history of this site.