1. We have updated to a new version of XenForo. If you were using the "Kella" custom style, you need to switch to the Utopia or Alternate style. Do this in your user preferences.
    Dismiss Notice

Moscow Mules

Discussion in 'OOTP Discussion (Out of the Park Baseball)' started by Soonerfan09, Jul 19, 2016.

1. GatorTD

GatorTD Male Mod Alumni

6 PLAYOFFS AND 0 SHAMSHIPS? OK BARVES

2. TonyGin&Juice

TonyGin&Juice Magic City

Team:
    CHOKIES
    My nickname for @Travis7401 is Mike Rizzo Jr. and it fits.

3. Orlando

Orlando Well-Known Member Utopia Moderator

Are you talking about on the website or in-game?

4. Soonerfan09

Soonerfan09 Well-Known Member

I was specifically talking about in game, but I can't get it to work on the website either.

5. Orlando

They definitely don't work on the website. I can see what adding them does to the file size.

6. Soonerfan09

Sounds good. I didn't know if it was something on my end or how the league was set up. Not a big deal if it makes the file size too big.

7. osick87

osick87 Well-Known Member Community Liaison

I really need to change the save games directory off my small SSD.

Travis7401 likes this.
  8. OU11

OU11 Pleighboi Utopia Moderator

Team:
    Niners
    Just do them separately if it gets to be too big. I'll test it after I'm done with all the picture uploads and see how big it gets

9. Orlando

I meant in game. Website is easy.

10. OU11

OU11 Pleighboi Utopia Moderator

Team:
    Niners
    oh yeah, that should probably be increased anyway since it's only the past 7 days right now. I doubt it makes it noticeably bigger, the messages going from 7 to 60 didn't when I made that change a long time ago.

Orlando likes this.
  11. Travis7401

Travis7401 Douglass Tagg Community Liaison

PART 4 - POSITION PLAYERS

So this is where the other half of your WARS need to come from, and fortunately for you I've created a handy dandy WAR prediction spreadsheet where you can put in a player's bat ratings, their position, their defensive ability, and their base running ability. Now it is a bit confusing, because statistics for hitting, base running, and defense are usually based on the league average. There is a pretty significant difference between a "replacement" player and a league average player, so that needs to be accounted for in the stats as well. On the right hand side of the spreadsheet I've got WARS WON broken down by category. "Rep WAR" is the adjustment between a replacement level player and an "average" level player (which most of the other stats are based on). Players also get more WARS for playing hard positions than they do for playing easy positions and this is listed as POS WAR. An average CF is worth 1 WAR whereas an average 1B is worth -0.2 WAR, for instance. Now Bat, Run, and Def are all "weighted runs above average" (again, I included an adjustment for this as REP WAR). BTT WAR is then the sum of those statistics and is based on an average season of 140 games started (typical starter, assuming about 1 day of rest a week). If you play them more or less than that, you adjust the amount in the "GS" column. In your case, I kept it pretty simple so BTT WAR = PRED WAR for most of your starters.

Now the cool part about this tool is that you can take a look at different substitute, backup, and platoon options as well. There are a total of 9 positions and 162 games =1458 total games. You go down your roster and distribute all 1458 games between your starters, backups and platoon players and when you get all 1458 accounted for (hopefully within the limits of physics, ie you can't have 1 player playing multiple positions in the same games or playing more than 162 games).

Generally speaking, since there are 9 positions and you need 20-25 WARS from these players to make the playoffs, you want each position to account for at 2.2 - 2.7 WARS on average. Now "Elite" players can generate 3+ WARS by themselves (remember the wage scale) while SOLID STARTERS should generate 2+ WARS in 140 games (so the position as a whole generates 2.2-2.7 counting sub games). Then Serviceable/Platoon starters are going to be above 1 predicted WAR. The filler players, backups, subts, Talismans, etc can generate <1 predicted WAR but they should hopefully have a positive prediction at least.

So for your team I went through and highlighted the guys I really like at their pay scale in green. I left the guys who will be ok Stop-Gaps in white and I highlighted the guys I'd get rid of ASAP. Unfortunately, you don't have any ELITE starters at all. You have a borderline SOLID STARTER in Julio Montoya (He'll be SOLID based on potential ratings hen he's fully developed) and he meets the wage scale as well since he's currently on league minimum! Of the "serviceable" starters you've got Michael Blanc, but he's making too much money for the serviceable portion of the wage scale (3.6 M whereas serviceable starters should make <2M). It's a bummer he's making that much, but ratings wise he's still one of your best players so... might as well keep him until the contract is up. You've got Steven Culley who should be a serviceable starter at 2B and he's making the league minimum, so he fits the wage scale as well. Gustavo Munoz, Mujahid Azim, and Javier Hernandez all fit into the "backup" category, IMO, but they are all making less than 1M/year so they fit the wage scale. Your injured player Jorge Lucero is right on the cusp of being a serviceable/platoon starter and he makes the right wage scale. Ur predicted WARS, taking into account the lack of a 4th OF (assuming you leave Rio brown in CF) you'd win 3.3 WARS with this roster. WOOF.

Players who are bad and make too much money for their services also include Brent McBride and Ken Coleman (Coleman is an asshole personality too, woof).

So according to my wage scale you need to shoot for the following number of players in each category. Also depends a little on how many of each category you have on pitching staff, but assuming 12 pitchers you'll need 13 positon players for the 25 man roster and then some additional depth players in AAA that might be on salary as well.
    Elite - 3 players
    Solid - 3-5 players
    Serviceable/Platoon - 4-5
    Backup/Talisman/etc - The rest of the 13 players on the 25 man + at least an additional backup for each position in AAA (remember players can back up multiple positions)

[​IMG]

For Comparison, here is a screen shot of one of my better built NDR teams where I set everything up to utilize multiple platoons and I had good role players and backups too. I had 3 true star players on this team and Julio Manuel was right on the cusp of star. I also had 3 "solid" starters and then several serviceable guys who platooned well together. In the end, the predicted WAR for all 162 games by position shows that I was only week at DH, SS, and RF. Everywhere else I met the 2.2-2.7 WAR goal and then I obviously exceeded it at several positions as well. This team was also really cheap because most of the ELITE players (other than Rafael Juarez) were on cheap contracts at the time. You can see how many platoons I utilized as well, utilizing some players like Dani Rodriguez, Mulia Kusuma, Pedro Chavez, and Jose Vigil who had much better splits against one side than they did overall. I was able to get as many starts as possible for those guys against that handedness (about 2/3 of starting pitchers are RHP and about 1/3 are LHP so assume that when analyzing platoons.

[​IMG]

I'll email you the spreadsheet tomorrow and you can also view this thread where I explain the BTT system more thoroughly and included vidyas on how to use it!

http://www.nutopiasports.com/forum/index.php?threads/travis7401s-newsletter-subscribe-today.1897/

Soonerfan09 likes this.
  12. Yankee151

Yankee151 TWINK Stadium

Team:
    Yankees
    Where's the column for TALISMAN WARS WON?

Travis7401 likes this.
  13. TonyGin&Juice

TonyGin&Juice Magic City

Team:
    CHOKIES
    Nobody is reading all of that shit.

Soonerfan09 and Travis7401 like this.
  14. Travis7401

Part 5

15. Mr. Radpants

Mr. Radpants Friendship Drive Charging

Team:
    Dublin
    PART 5 - PARAGRAPHS AND EXCEL WHILE AT WORK

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Aenean vitae urna enim. Praesent cursus ligula sed dictum accumsan. Nam varius vestibulum pretium. Integer odio erat, aliquam ut lobortis quis, aliquet eget magna. Aliquam a sapien eu turpis fringilla tristique. Nam consequat quam id arcu suscipit, ut finibus sem facilisis. Sed egestas, nunc eu scelerisque mollis, sapien urna ultrices magna, nec tristique nulla orci sit amet lectus. Fusce at felis sit amet augue imperdiet egestas. Sed ac mauris eget purus porttitor viverra.

Sed purus nibh, lacinia quis risus eget, faucibus porttitor mauris. Etiam lacinia pellentesque erat, sed aliquam sem semper id. Mauris a gravida metus. Donec elementum erat sit amet tellus pellentesque sodales. Quisque mattis elit id nunc efficitur, eget vulputate leo pretium. Quisque vulputate in velit ut tempor. Nulla sodales pellentesque nisi. Duis id molestie velit, non consectetur quam. Phasellus id leo euismod tellus mattis auctor sit amet at odio. Vivamus vitae hendrerit nulla. Sed gravida dictum rhoncus. Cras vestibulum ex diam, id accumsan libero laoreet eget. Fusce ornare vulputate volutpat. Proin scelerisque neque orci, ac volutpat purus tristique commodo. Nulla blandit ornare orci, ac dapibus augue vestibulum vel.

Vivamus fermentum sapien vel est fringilla ornare. Pellentesque ac cursus magna. Ut finibus eleifend nisi, at vehicula massa aliquet quis. Quisque at arcu in ante vulputate feugiat. Vivamus laoreet ligula id est elementum condimentum. Pellentesque habitant morbi tristique senectus et netus et malesuada fames ac turpis egestas. Suspendisse magna odio, congue vitae nulla sit amet, mattis congue arcu. Sed congue dapibus felis, laoreet lobortis massa mattis lacinia.

[​IMG]

In molestie diam vel tortor dignissim vulputate. Nam et blandit justo. Phasellus et dignissim quam, eu euismod diam. Ut imperdiet blandit vehicula. Donec eu elementum velit, quis eleifend neque. Nam faucibus diam ultricies erat ullamcorper accumsan. Sed sit amet metus ac elit lacinia tincidunt vestibulum non neque. Donec eget porttitor arcu. Pellentesque lacinia nibh sit amet euismod aliquet. Vivamus at lacinia nulla. Curabitur vel augue id dui scelerisque consectetur. Fusce libero quam, blandit quis leo vitae, ullamcorper blandit velit. Fusce non quam mattis metus luctus sodales. Nunc molestie tincidunt nunc, eu tristique lorem elementum blandit.

[​IMG]

Nam et ligula sagittis elit venenatis hendrerit. Praesent venenatis pulvinar semper. Praesent quis ante pharetra, ultricies lectus eu, feugiat eros. Vivamus condimentum nisi ut laoreet ultrices. Vestibulum luctus dapibus felis et malesuada. Nullam aliquam varius magna, sodales sagittis eros rutrum vel. Donec non leo scelerisque libero malesuada ullamcorper. Nulla dictum risus non lacus hendrerit tristique. Donec condimentum feugiat mauris, vitae malesuada tellus hendrerit vitae. Maecenas imperdiet purus elementum ante mattis mollis. Suspendisse sagittis tortor at lacus aliquet, sed dapibus libero fringilla. Curabitur sodales arcu ac nisl vehicula, quis laoreet felis feugiat. Etiam fermentum orci et quam hendrerit consequat.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit!

http://www.nutopiasports.com/forum/index.php?threads/travis7401s-newsletter-subscribe-today.1897/

16. Soonerfan09

What's an average Range Factor on this game per position? From what I can tell, they're all extremely high.

17. Travis7401

I set the following minimums based on position for my organization in descending order of defensive importance (My LF being more important than my RF and needing 55 range is a bit of an anomaly due to my park factors).

CF - 70
    SS - 65
    2B - 60
    3B - 55
    LF - 55
    RF - 50
    1B - 35

Most people in the league would use the following order and low end range for each position:
    CF - 60
    SS - 60
    2B - 55
    3B - 45
    RF - 45
    LF - 45
    1B - 30

Players can get by with less range if they have elite ratings in other defensive categories, but generally range is most important for defense.

Soonerfan09 likes this.
  18. Soonerfan09

I was actually talking about the RF statistic in fielding stats, although what you posted is useful information too.
    After doing a little more research, they aren't quite as high as I thought earlier, but they still seem to be pretty high. I think there are just too many variables for the RF statistic to really matter enough to use it in anything other than certain situations.

19. Travis7401

Oh gotcha, you are talking about the positional rating for RF? The position rating is a bit hard to understand in this game because it is more of a measure of their experience at the position (provided they have the minimum individual fielding ratings to play a position). If a player has suitable fielding ratings to play a position they WILL get to 65+ rating at that position with enough practice/game time, but the amount of time it takes to get that positional rating depends on the difficulty of the position (CF and SS take longer to learn) and the player's intangibles (intelligence, work ethic, etc). If the player doesn't meet the minimum individual fielding ratings for a position, it doesn't matter how much experience you give them, they will never become good at it (ie Playing a guy with 45 range at SS). What I've found is that the individual ratings for range/errors/etc are the best predictor for actual statistical success, but the position rating serves as a modifier. If a player has a 65+ positional rating, they will typically outperform their individual fielding ratings and you can get away with lower ratings for range/errors than you normally could for that position (typically this is older guys with experience who lose range through aging). If a player has 55-60 positional rating they will perform as expected. If a player has a 40-50 positional rating they will underperform their individual defensive ratings, but are still usually ok if they have high individual ratings. If a player has a position rating <40 they will typically under perform by a TON.

So this really highlights the importance of building player flexibility through experience in your minor league system. You will have certain players you draft or obtain through IFA who have the individual rating skillset to be good at a certain position, but no position rating. You'll need to give them experience at those positions in the minor leagues so that by the time they reach the WBL they are accomplished (hopefully at multiple positions). Here is a good example: I drafted this dude EARL PEOPLES as a middle infield player (2B/SS) but noticed he also had great OF ratings (75 range, 60 errors, 60 arm) but no OF ratings. I decided to get him experience at CF this season and he has already gone from 0 positional rating to 40. In the next few years I'll be getting Earl time at 2B, SS, and CF (players will lose positional rating if they haven't played that position in a long time) as well as adding time at LF/RF and maybe 3B. He doesn't have the bat to be a great WBL player, but he has the potential to be a + or ++ player at 2 key defensive positions (SS and CF) which could make him a valuable backup in case of injury. Players also learn really well if they are on your spring training roster. Spring training spent at a position can be worth a whole season of experience, so keep this in mind as you add flexibility to your roster. I typically want all of my WBL players, other than C/1B/DH, to be able to play 2-3 positions well at a minimum. That makes dealing with injury much easier.

So the reason you see a lot of LF/RF etc with 65+ position ratings is that it isn't a super hard skillset so a lot of players meet the minimum individual fielding requirements for the position and they are also fairly easy positions to learn so players learn them quickly.

Here is how I look at fielding ratings and how they relate to position:

Range = Most important see minimums
    Errors = 2nd most important for all positions, want a nice high value for this.
    Arm = Most important for 3B and RF
    TDP = Most important for SS and 2B

Soonerfan09 likes this.
  20. Orlando

No Travis. Range Factor. The stat. It's RNG on the website for some reason.

OU11 and Yankee151 like this.