• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Major League Soccer Thread

Snorky's Shame

As an aside, I'm starting to get a bit annoyed whenever people praise Columbus and Orlando for using "SC" while conveniently forgetting that Chicago has been using "SC" since 1997.

I know the Fire are horrible and irrelevant in today's MLS but give us some credit.

Snorky's Shame

Calvinball.

I don't begrudge them for doing it though. I'm envious of them since Chicago has decided to become a small market team with Hauptman.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
UnDZ1kU.jpg

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
lame. they didn't unite anything. this whole thing of "we have to name MLS franchises like european clubs" is the worst. should have been the silverbacks. THIS IS AMERICA, GODDAMMIT.

Real Salt Lake, DC United, Sporting KC, etc. So ghey. Didn't realize that Salt Lake had the backing of the Spanish Royal Family like Real Madrid, and DC was originally two clubs that united into one due to financial hardship like Newcastle United. Also didn't realize KC fielded numerous teams in multiple sports like Barcelona.

Oh well, at least the majority of MLS follows the typical North American format of [Place Represented] [Nicknames].

Saw the Galaxy-Toronto game on 4th of July. Awesome showing of an American team, led by an Irish striker, in front of a mostly Latino fanbase, beating a Canadian team, led by an Italian player. Forget the illegal fireworks going off all over Carson and Compton, there were plenty of fireworks on the field as Keane had a hat trick and Lletget added one more in stoppage time to win 4-0.

Best part about our "Fuck you England" celebration was introducing Englishman Steven Gerrard after the game as the newest member of the Galaxy. :laughing:

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
It's not like those European style names are any worse than Dallas Burn or Kansas City Wizards, lol.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Also, some of the names kind of fit. The "United" moniker makes plenty of sense for a team like D.C., a city full of transplants, or even Atlanta, a massive metro area (also with a lot of transplants).

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
"United" mainly refers to clubs merging. "International" would be more apt for a diverse metro area population.

Yup. Just like high schools in Podunk, USA sometimes merge due to dwindling populations and become Podunk-Bumfuck Union HS.

I think I mentioned once that "Inter L.A." would have been a very apt alternative name for the Galaxy.

Still, as bad as Kansas City Wizards, or San Jose Clash or Miami Heat are, nothing beats team-name hilarity like Philippine Basketball Association names. :laughing:

http://pba.inquirer.net/standings

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
I love the PBA names. Didn't they have the Burger Kings for a while?

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
I love the PBA names. Didn't they have the Burger Kings for a while?

There used to be a Burger City team in the PBL (semipro/2nd division league to the PBA), but I can't remember what their nicknames were. The Burger King Whoppers (not sure how many Italian imports they have) currently play in the PBL.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Gerrard and Lampard named commissioners picks to the All Star Game.

MLS games played: 0

Who wants more Calvinball!!!!!!!

Snorky's Shame

Looks like Beckham is going to build his stadium next to Marlins Park.

No mention of the University of Miami sharing the stadium.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
They should just be like, Gerrard is now an American citizen.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
This is the best

payne: I told them, “I don’t get this [Tampa Bay] ‘Mutiny’. What’s with the symbol?” They said, “Oh, it’s a mutant bat.” “Okay, what does that have to do with Mutiny?” “You know—Mutiny, mutant.” I said, “Those are two different words with completely different meanings. They just share some letters. What are you doing?”

Stupid motherfuckers are EVERYWHERE.