1. We have updated to a new version of XenForo. If you were using the "Kella" custom style, you need to switch to the Utopia or Alternate style. Do this in your user preferences.
    Dismiss Notice

Major League Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Pro Sports Discussion' started by Snorky's Shame, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Yankee151

Yankee151 TWINK Stadium

Team:
    Yankees
    MLS is probably just trying to snag America, Tijuana, and a couple others and leave the rest of the middling Liga MX teams to rot.

One nice thing would be that new league getting Libertadores spots, I guess. Of course, that would be even more absurd travel

2. goblue96

goblue96 Disney and Curling Expert

Team:
    Michigan
    Seattle in a Liberatdores match against Defensor Sporting down in Uruguay would be an interesting road trip.

3. Yankee151

Yankee151 TWINK Stadium

Team:
    Yankees
    Inb4 they implement it but teams still can't charter flights

4. doh

doh THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi

Team:
    Las Vegas Pac Men
    I mean for some teams, the travel would be easier and some about the same. If they made geographical divisions, I don't think there'd be a huge change in travel.

If you guarantee that second division teams are making as much as current MLS teams in TV money, they'll be fine with it. TV money wise I think Liga MX is looking at how they can make the most in the US English wise and I'm guessing this is their idea.

They've been trying to make CONCACAF Champions League a priority for years and it still hasn't worked. There are tons of B/C-sides in it.

5. NML

NML Well-Known Member

There’s never been money in the CCL. That’s all it takes. Only incentive financially is the club World Cup, which is why you see starters in the later rounds. Find $8m for the winner and I bet you no longer see those second teams.

Libertadores spots would be nice, but they could probably get those without combining with Liga MX.

There’s no chance you can get tv money for a second division - they can’t even get money for MLS, which is why it’s packaged with the national team.

There’s value to be added for MLS by trying new things, but combining with Mexico isn’t it

6. Snorky's Shame

Snorky's Shame Well-Known Member

I think Liga MX will get rid of relegation before it merges with MLS.

Liga MX relegation is a joke anyway. Got relegated? No problem, just buy the license of the promoted team and move them to your city.

Only 6 out of the 16 teams were eligible for promotion last season. The promotion playoff ended up between two teams not eligible for promotion. Instead they got prize money from the team that was supposed to be relegated, Lobos BUAP.

Only 60% of the Ascenso is eligible for promotion this year.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    adchester likes this.
  7. Yankee151

Yankee151 TWINK Stadium

Team:
    Yankees
    Well they have suspended it in order to expand the league to 20, or so I heard. If anything I think a merger makes much more sense for Liga MX, they want in on the MLS roster rules and lack of Pro/Rel. I could see their proposal being something like a 48 team league, 6 divisions of 8 and two conferences or something like that, Liga MX gets 18 or 20 teams, MLS gets the rest (Vegas, PHX, Sacramento, San Diego (-1 +Detroit?) probably the obvious expansion candidates to get to 30 MLS teams) It would definitely be messy though. There's also the matter of Mexico needing to switch to Spring-Fall in order to do so.

That large of a league all under MLS rules is probably unsustainable talent-pool wise, so roster rules would need to change if there's no pro/rel. Seems like too big of a hurdle to me to me.

8. Snorky's Shame

Do they want in on the salary cap though?

Just looking at the all-time Liga MX table from 1943, there is a sharp drop off from 17 to 18. Just eliminate Tecos (now in the third division) and you would have a 16 team league as such:

Monterrey
    UANL
    Santos
    Atlas
    Guadalajara
    Atlas
    Veracruz
    Leon
    Atlante
    Necaxa
    Cruz Azul
    America
    UNAM
    Toluca
    Pachuca
    Morelia

Yeah Tijuana gets kind of screwed but I guess an MLS team in San Diego might soften the blow.

9. Yankee151

Yankee151 TWINK Stadium

Team:
    Yankees
    The one suggestion on reddit I did find interesting would be a split season (but somehow split Spring-Fall) with the Clasura/second half being a 16(or whatever) team group of US, Mexico, and Canadian teams, which would provide the mixing desired without the travel being all year round. That said, I think that would still be weird, because there are plenty of Mexican cities that are closer than US to US anyways. Vancouver to Veracruz is shorter than Vancouver to Orlando, for example. It would defeat the point to have a potential San Diego team in a different league than Tijuana, so a split season probably defeats the purpose without drawing division/conference lines without regard to national borders.

10. Yankee151

Yankee151 TWINK Stadium

Team:
    Yankees
    If mixing the leagues, you could always add Tijuana, since that group + the Canadian trio makes 20, then the remaining teams can be US-based. Tijuana is by itself geographically, so it could easily fit in a "Southwest" Division of some kind, even with a SD, Vegas, and Phoenix expansion. really depends on how things are split up though, since minimizing travel and time zone changes for the Cascades teams is key. The rest of Liga MX is in the Central Zone, so if anything a 3 conference league may work out better?

It is too hard to say without knowing what the limit for league size would be, and thus what teams would expand. To me adding 16 Mexican teams means a no brainer for more Southwest U.S. teams, of which Phoenix or Vegas are probably most prepared. The only teams in Mexico that could slot into a good local group would be Tijuana with the Southwest teams, and then Santos, Tigres, and Monterrey with Dallas, Houston, and a potential Austin, San Antonio, or add KC there. The remaining ~13 teams are pretty far though, and there's no obvious configuration beyond just giving them their own division or two.

11. Snorky's Shame

Got some time on my hands so here goes:

48 team MLS/Liga MX merger

Western Conference

Pacific Division: Los Angeles, LA Galaxy, Portland, Sacramento, San Jose, Seattle, Tijuana, Vancouver
    Midwest Division: Austin, Colorado, Dallas, Houston, Kansas City, Phoenix, Saint Louis, Salt Lake

Eastern Conference

Central Division: Atlanta, Charlotte, Chicago, Cincinnati, Miami, Minnesota, Nashville, Orlando
    Atlantic Division: Detroit, DC United, Montreal, New England, New York, New York City, Philadelphia, Toronto

Conference MX

Division Oeste: Atlas, Guadalajara, Leon, Monterrey, Morelia, Necaxa, Santos, UANL
    Division Este: America, Atlante, Cruz Azul, Pachuca, Puebla, Toluca, UNAM, Veracruz

Schedule: Division x2 (14), Conference x1 (8), Non Conference 2 games from each division (8), 30 games
    Playoffs: 24 teams, Division winners plus two best non division winners get byes. H/A throughout

64 team CPL/MLS/Liga MX merger (this should be fun)

Western Conference

Pacific Division: Las Vegas, Los Angeles, LA Galaxy, Phoenix, Sacramento, San Diego, San Jose, Tijuana
    Mountain Division: Calvary (Calgary), Colorado, Edmonton, Pacific (Victoria, BC), Portland, Salt Lake, Seattle, Vancouver

Conference MX

Division Oeste: Atlas, Guadalajara, Leon, Morelia, Necaxa, Queretaro, San Luis, Santos
    Division Este: America, Atlante, Cruz Azul, Pachuca, Puebla, Toluca, UNAM, Veracruz

Central Conference

Southwest Division: Austin, Dallas, Houston, Juarez, Kansas City, Monterrey, Saint Louis, UANL
    Midwest Division: Atlanta, Chicago, Cincinnati, Columbus, Indy Eleven, Minnesota, Nashville, Valour (Winnipeg)

Eastern Conference

Northeast Division: Detroit, Forge (Hamilton), Halifax, Montreal, New England, Ottawa, Toronto, York
    Atlantic Division: Charlotte, DC United, Miami, New York, New York City, Orlando, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay

Schedule: Division x2 (14), Conference x1 (8), Non Conference 2 games from each division (12), 34 games
    Playoffs: 32 teams, top 4 in each division advance, World Cup style tournament, higher seed host until the final which will be at a neutral venue. Sample Group would be 1st SW, 4th MW, 2nd NE, 3rd AT

After doing all that, I'm not sure I like this merger idea.

Yankee151 likes this.
  12. Yankee151

Yankee151 TWINK Stadium

Team:
    Yankees
    That 48 team setup is probably as good as we could hope for if they chose to keep it as one division. Maybe swap St. Louis and Minnesota for travel purposes

13. Snorky's Shame

So this is interesting.

Precourt to move to Austin but Browns owner Jimmy Haslam to buy an “expansion” franchise in Columbus. Name and players possibly to stay past this year.

I still have significant reservations about a team in Cincinnati and Columbus. I don’t think they both survive.

14. wolverine318

wolverine318 Well-Known Member Mod Alumni

Team:
    Michigan
    Interesting. Columbus would keep the Cleveland and Akron fans I'd guess, but lose cincy of course. Who knows about other sort of close cities. I tend to agree though.

I wonder if it would help if they played some games at browns stadium.

15. kella

kella Smug know-it-all Administrator Operations

Lol, Hamid jumping over the shot like a fifa keeper

16. kella

kella Smug know-it-all Administrator Operations

Holy shit

17. wolverine318

wolverine318 Well-Known Member Mod Alumni

Team:
    Michigan
    Pretty good game there

18. doh

Team:
    Las Vegas Pac Men
    Where's the money coming from for CCL? The TV rights were on something this year that folded after it ended. It's been around a long time and still the money sucks.

19. NML

NML Well-Known Member

It’s a catch 22 - they won’t play their big players unless there’s a prize pool, but sponsorship and TV money doesn’t come in because they aren’t sure people are going to watch if they play their back ups.

20. doh

Team:
    Las Vegas Pac Men
    I don't think teams were keen to play their best players in CCL because of roster size and quality of back ups. MLS Travel is another factor where lots of teams don't even travel their best players.

This year TFC going from arguably best MLS team ever to 14 points out of the playoffs probably killed teams going for it in CCL too. They went all in on it and were a huge flop. The (lack of) depth in MLS rosters + the moronic travel rules will keep teams from trying in CCL even if you significantly raised the prize money.

I think SuperLiga was ahead of it's time though. It'd be good to bring back and allow the best non-CCL teams go against Liga MX teams.