1. We have updated to a new version of XenForo. If you were using the "Kella" custom style, you need to switch to the Utopia or Alternate style. Do this in your user preferences.
    Dismiss Notice

Major League Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'Pro Sports Discussion' started by Snorky's Shame, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Snorky's Shame

Snorky's Shame Well-Known Member

What’s the major hang up/complaint? I couldn’t watch the video.

2. Snorky's Shame

Sure you can (looks out the window of a downtown Chicago office).

Hachiko likes this.
  3. Southpaw

Southpaw Fuckface Utopia Moderator

They are planning to put the stadium at the State Fairgrounds. They are leasing 10 acres to the billionaire owner for 200k per year for 30 years.

The people who like to go to the shitty flea markets held there are mad lol. They don't want it turned into more of the same in new Nashville...mixed use development. Retail and residential and hipsters. Taxpayers are also footing like 250 million for the stadium.

I no longer live in Davidson county, but I do work there. I could give two shits about soccer, so I am truly neutral on this, but why doesn't the billionaire just buy the land from the city and pay for his own stadium?

There is also the issue that the nutjob brought up in his statement. That land was conveyed to the state on condition that certain agricultural events are held there per yer and if they are not, the land reverts back to the original owner's heirs.

4. kella

kella Smug know-it-all Administrator Operations

Just put a farmer's market in the concourse.

[​IMG]

5. Snorky's Shame

Welcome Club Internacional de Futbol Miami to MLS.

[​IMG]

Nashville stadium gets final approval from the Metro Council.

Wow, going from 10 teams in 2004 to 26 in 2020 that quickly. That’s one team per year.

6. Southpaw

The vote passed last night. Odds I ever go to an MLS game: Low, extremely low.

7. Snorky's Shame

30,000 seems a bit ambitious. I’d imagine Tennessee State will probably be using that stadium as well.

EDIT: Tennessee State doesn’t play all it’s games at Nissan Stadium anymore, didn’t know they moved some games back to campus.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  8. Southpaw

The initial talks were that Vandy would lol. I haven't heard TSU or Vandy mentioned since the final plans came out. The old Nashville Speedway is staying put. That is the only thing I cared about. Glad that is staying. That place has some history behind it.

9. Snorky's Shame

Yeah, that was the problem with Miami earlier. The Hurricanes wanted to share the new stadium with Beckham’s team but capacity would have been too small for the Hurricanes and too big for the MLS team.

There is something similar going on right now in San Diego with the San Diego State West proposal going up against the Soccer City proposal for use of the land Jack Murphy Stadium sits on. I got my money on San Diego State winning that.

10. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Utopia

Team:
    Mitakihara
  11. Yankee151

Yankee151 TWINK Stadium

Team:
    Yankees
    Thats the first Inter and the first CF in MLS, right? Still need a Lokomotiv, AC, and heck, throw in a Borussia in there.

12. goblue96

goblue96 Disney and Curling Expert

Team:
    Michigan
    Borussia Smashville

13. kella

kella Smug know-it-all Administrator Operations

Nashville Young Boys

Yankee151 and goblue96 like this.
  14. Snorky's Shame

Does the Chicago Fire count as CF? CF97 is very common in social media. We’re going to be Legia Chicago soon though.

We have a IMFC (Montreal) and a IMCF (Miami) now. Can’t see any possible confusion there.

15. silverwheels

silverwheels more like Turd Crapley

Team:
    RUSS
  16. doh

doh THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi

Team:
    Las Vegas Pac Men
    Zlatan shitting on Michael Bradley :laughing:

silverwheels likes this.
  17. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Utopia

Team:
    Mitakihara
    DOWN GOES TORONTO! AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAH! *roars like a Yanxian Tiger*

18. Yankee151

Yankee151 TWINK Stadium

Team:
    Yankees
  19. doh

doh THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi

Team:
    Las Vegas Pac Men
    IF they went full pro/rel, took off salary cap handcuffs, etc.... I actually think it'd be an incredible league and idea. But I doubt any of that is close to happening.

I wonder if this is being pushed by a TV partner (Univision or ESPN or FOX) because that's the only way I see it happening. A giant, we can't possibly refuse US TV rights deal.

20. NML

NML Well-Known Member

The travel is already horrendous, this just makes it worst.

There’d be too much backlash from people like the Krafts if you tried to consolidate some clubs, and you can’t combine because you are talking 50ish teams.

I have no idea how this would work. They should just focus on getting prize/TV money for the CONCACAF Champions League

adchester likes this.