• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Major League Soccer Thread

Snorky's Shame

Los Angeles FC is going to build a stadium on the site of the old Los Angeles Sports Arena. They'll enter the league in 2018.

Looks like Atlanta and Minnesota for 2017 and Los Angeles FC and Miami for 2018.

There are no must have markets after that.

Schauwn

Los Angeles FC is going to build a stadium on the site of the old Los Angeles Sports Arena. They'll enter the league in 2018.

Looks like Atlanta and Minnesota for 2017 and Los Angeles FC and Miami for 2018.

There are no must have markets after that.
San Antonio? Sacramento?

Snorky's Shame

Those are nice to have markets, not must have markets.

Those are also known as markets stupid MLS Facebook fans want. Those people should be mass murdered as quickly as possible.

Reactions: NML

kella

Low IQ fat ass with depression and anxiety
Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Are there major concerns with talent thinning out with so many teams? Or is the financial allure and "not living in Honduras" draw enough to pull decent players from central and south america?

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
In the limited amount of MLS that I've watched, I've already noticed that the goalies are less talented now. I really hope that 24 is as large as they go for a long time. It's already not a great league to watch, and with the salary cap it won't get better with more teams.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
There are some shitty goalies in the big leagues in Europe. I.e., Rob Green.

Snorky's Shame

Sorry, I just don't share the opinion that MLS needs those markets or even that they're can't miss. San Antonio and Sacramento do nothing in getting a better TV deal or raising the profile of the league worldwide. New York, Los Angeles, Atlanta and Miami do.

Snorky's Shame

Are there major concerns with talent thinning out with so many teams? Or is the financial allure and "not living in Honduras" draw enough to pull decent players from central and south america?

Don't forget not getting pepper sprayed on the field or risking family members getting kidnapped.

Reactions: NML

NML

Things are in place for the talent level to continue to rise, my only concern is that the expansion is happening so rapidly.

But the new teams are spending their salary on new players, so it's not like the nfl or NBA when the talent would just get spread around. Orlando City, for example, brought in Kaka, Shea, and Seb Hines in from outside of the league. The former two are definitely selling some jerseys and helping improve the quality of the league.

But the top talent has never been an issue for MLS - its roster spots 8 to 23.

Snorky's Shame

I'm assuming you mean San Diego. I think they're better than Sacramento but I haven't heard much interest in MLS out there and I think the Chargers situation needs to be sorted out first.

Surprised the NASL has not reached out to them yet as the NASL needs a west coast team to keep D2 sanctioning.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Put the other Los Angeles team in San Diego and you're fine. We don't need 3 Southern California teams right now.

I am curious how they're going to schedule everything with 24 teams. I think they need to find something more creative, and something that rewards the better teams more than the current playoff system.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
The San Diego Californans SC

Snorky's Shame

Put the other Los Angeles team in San Diego and you're fine. We don't need 3 Southern California teams right now.

I am curious how they're going to schedule everything with 24 teams. I think they need to find something more creative, and something that rewards the better teams more than the current playoff system.

Two twelve team conferences, play teams in your conference twice and the other conference once. Top six in each conference make it to the playoffs although I wouldn't be surprised if it went to top eight.

Wish MLS would go back to best-of-three, first-to-five rather than the two leg ties. The higher seeds benefited from that with two home games.

DeadMan

aka spiker or DeadMong
Would rather see something like top 3 in each conference, top seeds get a bye in the first round. Winners of the conference playoffs meet in the MLS shampship. Half of the teams making the playoffs is way too much.

I would also like to see them explore something like a split season. You get the round robin, home and away, in each conference. Then the top 3 in each conference move on to the second part of the season and play a round robin, home and away again. Champion of the second season is the MLS champion. Tons of problems with that idea, for sure, but it would be more interesting than half of the teams making the playoffs.

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert
Would rather see something like top 3 in each conference, top seeds get a bye in the first round. Winners of the conference playoffs meet in the MLS shampship. Half of the teams making the playoffs is way too much.

I would also like to see them explore something like a split season. You get the round robin, home and away, in each conference. Then the top 3 in each conference move on to the second part of the season and play a round robin, home and away again. Champion of the second season is the MLS champion. Tons of problems with that idea, for sure, but it would be more interesting than half of the teams making the playoffs.

Go with the Belgian model where every team in the "Championship Group" gets their point total cut in half for the Championship Round. Rewards the teams that were good in the "regular season" while tightening up the race for the Championship.

Snorky's Shame

Toronto Argonauts to BMO Field official. Bad day for Toronto FC and the CSA. I don't think moving to BMO is the "magic bullet" that saves the Argonauts. They have a lot of issues that can't be solved easily.

BearDownUofA

Festizio
I'm assuming you mean San Diego. I think they're better than Sacramento but I haven't heard much interest in MLS out there and I think the Chargers situation needs to be sorted out first.

Surprised the NASL has not reached out to them yet as the NASL needs a west coast team to keep D2 sanctioning.
When they build a new Chargers stadium, put a SSS on the old Qualcomm site. Problem solved.

Snorky's Shame

First question out of everyone's mouth will be why can't they just use the new Chargers Stadium. A stadium like that would have to be 100% privately financed.

BearDownUofA

Festizio
Nice to see the Fire on the giving end of someone choking away a 2-0 lead. Even better that it comes against the yellow fucking team.

Renegade

Charge on!
Couple of interesting transfer tidbits off one of the good Orlando City blogs...

- Drogba asked Orlando for $8m for a 6 month contract
- Orlando's offer for Dom Dwyer would have been the largest amount paid for an intra-MLS buy.

There's also a Podolski rumor that doesn't get as much play as the constant Chicharito rumors, and the Podolski rumor was around last year too. He'd be a nice get for MLS as a league, whether it's Orlando or someone else.

Snorky's Shame

18 months and 8 million would be reasonable for Drogba. Orlando can afford it though seeing as they just gave the middle finger to the state legislature.

According to AS (Madrid paper), Pirlo has just signed for New York City.

kella

Staff member
Administrator
Operations
Can't Dom Dwyer qualify for the USMNT at this point?

Renegade

Charge on!
Can't Dom Dwyer qualify for the USMNT at this point?

I don't think he has citizenship, and then when he gets that, there's some stupid FIFA waiting period unless that can get waived because he went to college here. I think the rule FIFA put in place to stop Qatar from buying Brazilians nixes the move we used to bring in David Regis.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
NYCFC pick up Iraola from Athletic at RB and take Angelino (17 year old Spanish LB prospect in City Academy) on loan, two big and needed defensive upgrades

Hachiko

The Akita on Utopia
whbdc3.gif

whbdc3.gif

whbdc3.gif

Snorky's Shame

^

That's Clint tearing up the red card after being sent off in a 3-1 USOC loss to Portland. Seattle finished with 7 men (3 reds and Martins injury with no subs left).

No upsets last night but Chicago and San Jose came close.

Snorky's Shame

Actually it was the ref's notebook, not a red card.

New England and New York City both upset in the Open Cup.

New York City gave up a 90th minute equalizer, missed a penalty in ET and then missed a PK that would have won the shootout. Ouch.

Snorky's Shame

It's finally happened.

The Fire are so bad, I don't even care anymore.

DC doesn't even need to field their best team to beat Chicago. They've done it twice already.

With Chivas gone, the Fire are the new laughingstock in MLS.

I just don't see any end in sight.

Last edited: