• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Major League Soccer Thread

Snorky's Shame

I was at the Galaxy-LAFC game. I was somewhat apprehensive that the crowd would be similar to the Raiders-Broncos game I attended many years ago when the Raiduhs were still in L.A.

Imagine my relief when I realized the fans of BOTH sides were all like Raider fans!

Srs though - crowd energy was awesome compared to many other Galaxy games I've been to, except for maybe when San Jose was actually still good, and their ultras came in force.

Zlatan >>>>> Vela

What’s it like having a full stadium for a game? Asking for a friend.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
San Jose has been on an insane tear. Last two matches set the record for most shots in back to back road matches in MLS history. Have no clue what's going on.

Snorky's Shame

Very cool. I'd say most Galaxy games I've been to have been at least 75% or more of stadium capacity, so I've never experienced the crickets it must be like attending Fire games.

USC basketball, OTOH......

Even the crickets and raccoons (Fire inside joke) have deserted this team.

Snorky's Shame

San Jose has been on an insane tear. Last two matches set the record for most shots in back to back road matches in MLS history. Have no clue what's going on.

You have a competent manager, a big prerequisite to success in MLS.

Also see: New England Revolution

Snorky's Shame

USC still has basketball? I thought they shut down the program after Cheryl Miller left.

Don’t hate on “baby Jordan” aka Harold Miner.

Unless you’re winning, there isn’t a school in the PAC-12 that gives a shit about college basketball anymore IMO. Arizona and maybe Utah are the only exceptions.

BasinBictory

OUT with the GOUT
USC still has basketball? I thought they shut down the program after Cheryl Miller left.

They might as well have. Heck, I remember back when they played in the old Sports Arena, a stadium which held like 15,000 - but unless UCLA was playing them, they'd be lucky to get 3,000 people in there.

One season, they hung these huge black curtains from the rafters, apparently to disguise the vast numbers of fans dressed up like empty seats, and it had the effect of making it seem like you were in a cave watching a game.

So yeah, playing in an mostly-empty stadium (of any size) really sucks.

One of the coolest experiences I recall with USC basketball was after the 1994 Northridge earthquake. The Sports Arena was yellow-tagged, and USC basketball had to play a game in the Lyon Center, an on-campus gymnasium with a capacity of maybe 2000, broight up to perhaps 3000 with temporary bleachers.

We hosted ASU and Headake Smith, who poured in something like 40 points in whipping us, but the close-in atmosphere of the venue made it one of the most intense and enjoyable sporting events I've ever attended.

Snorky's Shame

Paging @Snorky's Shame ... New owner? Will Chicago actually care about competing now?

Mansueto didn't spend all that money buying out the lease and Hauptmann's 51% of the team to suck. At least I hope not. He has much deeper pockets than Hauptmann and is local. Hauptmann is an LA guy.

Going to be interesting talking to people at the game tomorrow. Not everyone will be happy with the move back to Soldier Field.

Snorky's Shame

Chicago Fire are moving into Soldier Field? Nothing looks better than 50,000 empty seats!

When the Fire were there last time (2003-2005), only the lower deck was opened and the north stands were closed. IMO we'll get at least 15,000 per game because of proximity. That doesn't look too bad. Bridgeview is an absolute pain to get to.

Snorky's Shame

I can’t believe I went to the last game of a SSS that was built in 2006. Seems surreal. Only made it through 14 years of a 30 year lease. I could see the stadium being demolished within the next 16 years.

Snorky's Shame

Sacramento gets a team. That’s 29 for anyone counting.

Charlotte (will be called Carolina) looks to be team 30.

Yeah, the games were good this week but let’s wait until after the playoffs to see if the new format works. Games tend to be more defensive as you get closer to the final.

Snorky's Shame

a99ab7b2d7d272c5eddb5029ee072e7e.jpg

What is this?