• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Is NCAA 06 the G.O.A.T.?

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
When I visited my parents over the weekend, I took the opportunity to grab NCAA 06 from storage and bring it home with me. I opened it up last night, and I was a kid all over again.

And ironically, the game is better than current versions. The playbooks are incredibly good despite being limited. The old school formations and a working flexbone make it a dream to play.

Plus, all the FCS schools are in the game. I loaded all the non-HBCU conferences into a dynasty to replace G5 schools, and I'm rolling with Jax State. Before you ask, I wanted to put the HBCU schools in, but that would lead a pair of P5 conferences left, so they got cut because they don't qualify for playoffs.

Defense is actually a thing in this game, and there are some seriously good plays that were questionably removed in 3rd gen consoles. Remember Cover 1 plays that would double-team a receiver? What about double-spy plays with both OLBs?

I think someone mentioned after NCAA 06, the guy at Tiburon that did the playbooks left and his assistant took over. Compare NCAA 06 playbooks to now. Night and day difference. I can do more with the 9 formation/preset playbooks than I can with a 300 play custom book in the new game.

I'm running a veer type offense based out of splitbacks with the Wishbone mixed in. I've messed around with the other option formations, and see all these traditional plays is a breath of fresh air.

I've discovered I'm not the only one that's going vintage. There's a guy that created "NCAA 06 Revival". It's something of a throwback offline dynasty/homage to EA of old. He has some of the old playbooks posted and sliders posted. Here's my primary offense.

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I think my favorite were NCAA06 and NCAA07 on the PS2 gen consoles. I upgraded to Xbox360 for NCAA08 and NCAA09 and neither were as good, IMO. NCAA04 was good but the latter two have more features I enjoyed.

The only thing I recall not liking about NCAA06 was the impact player system that could get a bit out of control at times... but NCAA06 was also the last time I actually had to worry about a CPU team running the ball. I remember playing against CPU controlled Adrian Peterson and having him go on FIYA and running for like 200+ yards against me. The NCAA06 soundtrack was awesome.

When I visited my parents over the weekend, I took the opportunity to grab NCAA 06 from storage and bring it home with me. I opened it up last night, and I was a kid all over again.

And ironically, the game is better than current versions. The playbooks are incredibly good despite being limited. The old school formations and a working flexbone make it a dream to play.

Plus, all the FCS schools are in the game. I loaded all the non-HBCU conferences into a dynasty to replace G5 schools, and I'm rolling with Jax State. Before you ask, I wanted to put the HBCU schools in, but that would lead a pair of P5 conferences left, so they got cut because they don't qualify for playoffs.

Defense is actually a thing in this game, and there are some seriously good plays that were questionably removed in 3rd gen consoles. Remember Cover 1 plays that would double-team a receiver? What about double-spy plays with both OLBs?

I think someone mentioned after NCAA 06, the guy at Tiburon that did the playbooks left and his assistant took over. Compare NCAA 06 playbooks to now. Night and day difference. I can do more with the 9 formation/preset playbooks than I can with a 300 play custom book in the new game.

I'm running a veer type offense based out of splitbacks with the Wishbone mixed in. I've messed around with the other option formations, and see all these traditional plays is a breath of fresh air.

I have respectfully disagree with you, although 06 is a close second, 09 is my favorite. The expanded playbooks alone are enough for me and the the gameplay is good but with sliders it is near perfect! 06 def plays better out of the box, but I am ok with doing a little tweaking to get things the way I like.

Also, this there is a good site devoted to NCAA 06, check it out: www.ncaa06revival.com.

Zack, I see you already know about the site.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
The only glaring hole I can find that I would need to run a Houston Veer is triple option.

These is a nasty combo though.

PN5-600x130.png

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
How many of them split back forms and plays are there? There are only about two or three split back forms in the last version. Would be perfect for astronaut dynasty. Gonna start over and win collinsworth a shampship this time.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
How many of them split back forms and plays are there? There are only about two or three split back forms in the last version. Would be perfect for astronaut dynasty. Gonna start over and win collinsworth a shampship this time.

Here's the full book: http://ncaa06revival.com/pro/.

There are only three (Pro, Twins, & Slot), but each one is loaded with plays. No power or triple option, but there are blasts, counters, sweeps, and double options.

In newer versions, the gun sets best mimic the old formations. I built an offense once based on Gun Split Normal, Twins, Slot, & F Twins Over. It's pretty balanced, but the 21 personnel sets don't have a counter trey play and some other nice plays that are in NCAA 06.

fanoftgame

I love the nastalgia but, the ps2 ncaa while fun had a lot of issues.

Start throwing deep to wide recievers and you'll see. One on one coverage deep was basically automatic. Double coverage was prolly 60-70% if not higher. Impact players randomlly getting hot where they auto break the first tackle no matter what. The hb direct play Bump and run where wr stuck on the line 3 secs.Broken zones run plays.

It was fun as a kid but it was pretty arcarde like at least vs human.

Ncaa 14 is by far the goat.

JSU Zack

How do I IT?
I love the nastalgia but, the ps2 ncaa while fun had a lot of issues.

Start throwing deep to wide recievers and you'll see. One on one coverage deep was basically automatic. Double coverage was prolly 60-70% if not higher. Impact players randomlly getting hot where they auto break the first tackle no matter what. The hb direct play Bump and run where wr stuck on the line 3 secs.Broken zones run plays.

It was fun as a kid but it was pretty arcarde like at least vs human.

Ncaa 14 is by far the goat.

I'm starting to see that now. Also, holy cow are hot routes a million times better now compared to back then. And formation audibles may go down as one of the best subtle improvements they've made.

The nostalgia is great, but I may have to retitle the thread because they there are some things missing we now take for granted.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I think my favorite were NCAA06 and NCAA07 on the PS2 gen consoles. I upgraded to Xbox360 for NCAA08 and NCAA09 and neither were as good, IMO. NCAA04 was good but the latter two have more features I enjoyed.

The only thing I recall not liking about NCAA06 was the impact player system that could get a bit out of control at times... but NCAA06 was also the last time I actually had to worry about a CPU team running the ball. I remember playing against CPU controlled Adrian Peterson and having him go on FIYA and running for like 200+ yards against me. The NCAA06 soundtrack was awesome.

BUMP. I just played NCAA08-NCAA12 on Xbox360.
NCAA08 was horrible

NCAA09 was Goatse gameplay (zig zag and defenders couldn't tackle you). Horrible.

NCAA10 had the best balanced gameplay against the CPU, but the camera angles were wonky. My favorite play call screen, CPU could run the ball, run blocking actually feels more realistic than their next iteration of line interaction. If this had online dynasty, it would have been the best

NCAA11 had Online Dynasty which nearly saved the series for me. Addition of blocking play art. I think this year had the pump fake glitch? lol. High point of the Next Gen series for me, still worse than PS2 versions.

NCAA12 almost zero improvements from NCAA11 from a gameplay perspective, and regressions in several areas. It seemed a little broke-dick with defensive players skating away at the snap of the ball to allow the running game to work. Spread running HB dives go for 10 yards a pop because the defense runs away. This is the game that broke me because it kept crashing so often. Sure enough, crashed halfway through my first game, probably because Custom Playbooks were dicked up, FUUUUU

I'm going to obtain a PS2 at some point and I'm going to run a CSU dynasty, playing each season on the correct version of the game (2010 season on NCAA11 for example). Because NCAA 08 and 09 were so bad on Xbox360 I might play the PS2 versions of those instead (08 for sure)

GatorTD

Male
Mod Alumni
Home sick today and I just played a game of 06 because I lost my 07 disk in the move.

Preferred 07 to 06 personally.