• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

IFA Circle Jerk Thread

What is to be done?

• Keep the current system

• Go back to the old system

• Abolish IFA

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Is this the US election? We already voted on this. YOU LOST.

It's also interesting that the RED STATES in this case are the top traditional power houses. Give it up, we get at least a full term of IFA-less bliss. USA USA

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member

It's also interesting that the RED STATES in this case are the top traditional power houses. Give it up, we get at least a full term of IFA-less bliss. USA USA

Is that to me? I always wanted to get rid of IFA. Never had a doubt about it. Do scouting discoveries stay?

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi

I'm in California so I have 55 Electoral Votes. You are Virginia so you have 13? lulz

Wolfman21

200.gif

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Buffalo has a population of Billions, and my stadium encompasses the solar system, giving me the most electoral votes by far.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
What about scouting discoveries?

I am skeptical about how well this is going to turn out. It's been forever since I played offline, but those drafts always had the same problems we do now- everyone after the third round is garbage. Late-bloomers almost never happen. How many of those have we had, 10 all time?

NML

My (and I believe @NML's) argument was in the old system with major penalties I am off one year/on the next. Also a cut of my budget is just dead every other year with penalties.

That means I can't spend $30+m/year on Nuh or it'll significantly cut into my IFA budget. You could also be a tanker and put together a team with a $15m payroll and spend $60-70m on IFA.

If we get rid of IFA, I think you have to do new league or the talent will be just totally screwed (ESPECIALLY if we keep feeders).
What about scouting discoveries?

I am skeptical about how well this is going to turn out. It's been forever since I played offline, but those drafts always had the same problems we do now- everyone after the third round is garbage. Late-bloomers almost never happen. How many of those have we had, 10 all time?

I'm not totally sure where things are now, but based on what I know, the current system is bad because 1) you can get elite level (if high risk) talent for a small cost (compare $5m to when JD paid like $75m for Bug) and 2) the tie-breaker for prospects signing was whichever team is "best", which is an obvious advantage to better teams

The old system was better, but it had issues too. It got to the point where you basically had half the league competing for IFAs on alternate years - of course you had people like Wooly taking it too far with fuckshit like signing major leaguers to contracts with alternating heavy years, like $3m, $25m, $3m, $25m, etc. This was better than current because 1) to get the high level talent, you had to pay a huge premium and 2) if you wanted a prospect bad enough, you could get him.

The biggest problem with abolishing it altogether is balancing talent levels. I remember I had to do A TON of different sims with different feeder league levels to find the right amount coming through, and I don't see how you can do it without spending a lot of time doing that testing. There's some incentive to tank more, but I don't really think any more than with the old system - if anything, you could basically plan to spend every cent you had for one given year on prospects, fill your major leagues with min contract guys, and get 1-1 and the top prospect in IFA.

Abolishing it also creates one clean path of talent generation (possibly with discoveries) which means version control of OOTP is less important and talent levels overall remain more consistent throughout seasons (but again this is only accomplished through significant testing). Drafts become more interesting since the talent level is higher - this is a while ago but I believe you tend to see 0-2 GOATs, then a batch of All-Star level talent, then a huge group of starting level talent that pushes multiple rounds, then you get ur lottery picks in slightly later rounds followed by the junk.

Obviously I'm not involved anymore so my opinion should be treated as meaningless, but I did have a strong opinion here and figured it was worth sharing. No IFA can be a hassle, but if monitored and tested correctly is the smoothest long-term solution to variable talent levels. Some people really love IFA and building through multiple avenues, so the old system accomplished that better than the current.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
I'm not totally sure where things are now, but based on what I know, the current system is bad because 1) you can get elite level (if high risk) talent for a small cost (compare $5m to when JD paid like $75m for Bug) and 2) the tie-breaker for prospects signing was whichever team is "best", which is an obvious advantage to better teams

The old system was better, but it had issues too. It got to the point where you basically had half the league competing for IFAs on alternate years - of course you had people like Wooly taking it too far with fuckshit like signing major leaguers to contracts with alternating heavy years, like $3m, $25m, $3m, $25m, etc. This was better than current because 1) to get the high level talent, you had to pay a huge premium and 2) if you wanted a prospect bad enough, you could get him.

The biggest problem with abolishing it altogether is balancing talent levels. I remember I had to do A TON of different sims with different feeder league levels to find the right amount coming through, and I don't see how you can do it without spending a lot of time doing that testing. There's some incentive to tank more, but I don't really think any more than with the old system - if anything, you could basically plan to spend every cent you had for one given year on prospects, fill your major leagues with min contract guys, and get 1-1 and the top prospect in IFA.

Abolishing it also creates one clean path of talent generation (possibly with discoveries) which means version control of OOTP is less important and talent levels overall remain more consistent throughout seasons (but again this is only accomplished through significant testing). Drafts become more interesting since the talent level is higher - this is a while ago but I believe you tend to see 0-2 GOATs, then a batch of All-Star level talent, then a huge group of starting level talent that pushes multiple rounds, then you get ur lottery picks in slightly later rounds followed by the junk.

Obviously I'm not involved anymore so my opinion should be treated as meaningless, but I did have a strong opinion here and figured it was worth sharing. No IFA can be a hassle, but if monitored and tested correctly is the smoothest long-term solution to variable talent levels. Some people really love IFA and building through multiple avenues, so the old system accomplished that better than the current.

This is kind of what I'm wanting to hear- how recently have played? It's been like 2017 since I did something other than the wbl.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Good post @NML

The current IFA situation obviously has a lot of issues. I have no idea if the tie breaker is true, but having the max be a pretty small amount of money has led to a lot of players just sitting around in the IFA pool. The old system benefited large budget teams, but a rebuilding team could also just go all in and spend a lot for the top guy or spend $25m and pick up 10 IFA. At this point you are limited to just a few players really.

I also don’t think talent variation is a problem as long as it is in waves.

Reactions: NML

NML

This is kind of what I'm wanting to hear- how recently have played? It's been like 2017 since I did something other than the wbl.

This testing was OOTP 19 I believe, so unfortunately two versions ago. It wasn't terribly complicated - there were some really good posts in the forums about how to properly set up feeder leagues and IIRC there's like two sliders you mess with in the league set-up screen, it just takes FOREVER to sim out and I was checking each draft class and end-of-year "all players" tab to see how the STARZZZ were developing over time

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Testing is the worst. Just getting it set up to run without pausing is a pain in the ass.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
I have a ton stuff to get done outside this weekend. My plan is to just let this run & check in on it every hour or so.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
I'm looking at the league settings- I don't know that we really CAN get rid of the feeder leagues. I can delete them, but that dumps all the players into the free agent pool. Not great. Also now that I'm looking, it appears that injuries are global- I can't turn them off for lower leagues. Thoughts on what to do here?

@OU11 @Orlando @Yankee151 am I missing something about the injury settings?

jdlikewhoa

Bug was $116m. And I had to move a ton of players to get the CAP SPACE for him.

Imagine having to compete in IFA and having an active trade market.

IMMERSION 80/80

WIN-WIN-WIN

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
I'm looking at the league settings- I don't know that we really CAN get rid of the feeder leagues. I can delete them, but that dumps all the players into the free agent pool. Not great. Also now that I'm looking, it appears that injuries are global- I can't turn them off for lower leagues. Thoughts on what to do here?

I think there is a delete league and players option.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
To be honest, we may as well immediately go back to old IFA rules, as it seems to be an overwhelming preference. It's not like it would do any harm or be any worse.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
To be honest, we may as well immediately go back to old IFA rules, as it seems to be an overwhelming preference. It's not like it would do any harm or be any worse.

If it was the overwhelming preference, it would have gotten more than two votes. The overwhelming preference was NO IFAs

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable

This is all I am seeing. I can't find any option that will also get rid of the players.

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
No fielders. Nice bats with some speed.

Meh crop of pitchers that draft. Nice rotation pieces at the top end on first glance, tho. After that its dogshit.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
@fignuts - What has to be remembered is that this current draft is literally the best we've had since I've been playing. They are normally awful.