• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

IFA Circle Jerk Thread

What is to be done?

• Keep the current system

• Go back to the old system

• Abolish IFA

Results are only viewable after voting.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Is it time to change the IFA system? Either back to what we had before, to something new, or getting away with it entirely?

The current system doesn't seem fair to me. There is definitely a hidden prestige/reputation that is used as a tie-breaker by the AI when the bonus offers are the same. It certainly seems that this is keeping lower-tier teams from being able to sign top IFA players.

So what are our options? We can:

Go back to how it was before, with unlimited spending in a single season followed by a penalty year.

Keep it as is.

Abolish IFA and bring in players through scouting discoveries & the draft only.

Thoughts?

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Scouting discoveries is just totally random... I think IFA is better.

I say old system with harsher penalties (if possible). Maybe 2 years off or increase the tax.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
I voted for the old system but would definitely be open to increasing the penalties for going over the limit.

doh

Is it possible? I thought before it wasn't. But I'd be fine with 200% tax. I think 2 years off is the most fair way.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Wow, abolish is intriguing. But I would do it with discoveries turned off as well.

Warning: Tank will increase

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
I don't mind keeping the current system as I manage to do quite well out of it, but I would also go with the old system and high penalties. What would be pointless would be to just raise the cap a bit.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
I'll have to look at increasing the penalties. I thought it was the IFA hard caps that couldn't be edited.

jdlikewhoa

Old IFA system. Abolish feeder leagues if the reasons we implemented them (of which I cannot recall) have been addressed in 21

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
GAUNTLET CLAIM = You can claim any player with 5+ years of PRO SERVICE on any minor league team as long as you are willing to put him on your 26 man roster for the rest of the season (barring injury).

GAUNTLET CLAIMS are transacted as a trade and self policed by the claimer and VICTIM, with the VICTIM given one sim to respond by promoting the player to their active roster. If the VICTIM catches the CLAIMER removing the player from the active roster during that season, the VICTIM can DEMAND the 1st round pick from the CLAIMER for breach of TROGTRACT. All CLAIMS and VICTIMS AND BREACHES OF TROGTRACT to be proven with screenshots.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Abolishing keeper league would be awesome.

I'm convinced that injuries at a young age + other factors have totally screwed the player pool.

I agree with feeder league injuries 100%.

The thing that really screws the player pool is fielding ratings. Way too many of these guys are complete trog bats at age 18, haha. I've played with the league settings for player generation and I don't think it made much of a difference.

doh

GAUNTLET CLAIM = You can claim any player with 5+ years of PRO SERVICE on any minor league team as long as you are willing to put him on your 26 man roster for the rest of the season (barring injury).
I think you can lower it from 7 to 5 years of pro service to make guys MLFA's if they aren't on your WBL roster. I'm 100% for this too. It'd help out smaller budget teams.

Totally agree @Karl Hungus. The game is based off reel life and if you get an injury before playing pro ball, your chances of 'making it' go down significantly. I also think the development/potential during the youth time can be screwed up by little things. Most of all-- I think pitchers are getting screwed by injuries/miles on their arms.

doh

I'll look into it, but like Rad said keeping track of this sounds like a nightmare.
Wouldn't it be similar to comp picks coming in from a draft? Like the game will automatically support it?

The only downside is qualifying offer guys rejecting it then just sitting in FA until they shed the pick loss.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Discoveries are FUN. Why would we get rid of feeder leagues?

Because Feeder Leagues might be causing injury history and hurting the player pool. Also, the new features in 21 (scoutable player pools for 4 years in advance) make feeder leagues obsolete. I really think all this needs to be tested, though, and not rushed into. But we’ll probably make a call and never miss a sim

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Because Feeder Leagues might be causing injury history and hurting the player pool. Also, the new features in 21 (scoutable player pools for 4 years in advance) make feeder leagues obsolete. I really think all this needs to be tested, though, and not rushed into. But we’ll probably make a call and never miss a sim

Well we've already signed this years IFA guys, so it's something to look at going forward. It's not going to affect this season.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
My vote would be to get rid of feeder leagues if it can be tested right. It makes draft players completely out of balance with discoveries and IFAs. I would always prefer an international player with less miles on the clock.

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
If we abolish IFA, I would like to see qualifying offers and comp picks.
giphy.gif

Haven't been a fan of the IFA system since it was implemented in 16 or 17? Maybe it was even earlier.

Much rather have a penalty system in place and use the extra 5M in dev and scouting budgets. Or a few more mid-level role players get picked up for those competing vs. opting to tank.

doh

Here is what I don't get: If we abolish IFA and the draft is the only way to get talent, how in the hell are teams supposed to rebuild?

If we had an active trade market in the old system, I'd sell off everything and spend every penny I could in IFA next year. In the current system, it makes no sense for me to do that because I can only spend $5.5m and I'll get 4th for GOATs. I mean I offered the guy 2nd in WAR/OPS to @TonyGin&Juice for a AA player and he countered with my adding in 2 more pieces.

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
Not being funny or anything, but isn't having a huge budget and the ability to buy up all the IFA talent one of the problems?

And @Mr. Radpants - If we add talent to the draft, we'll actually alleviate tanking a little bit, as the draft will be deeper.

doh

You rebuild through the draft.

The problem that this creates, btw, is that we will have tankathons. But that's better than what we have now.
The draft is almost even really in terms of how talent is dispersed.

Also if we turn off IFA, won't it be 10-12 seasons where the talent is all out of whack?

doh

Not being funny or anything, but isn't having a huge budget and the ability to buy up all the IFA talent one of the problems?
My (and I believe @NML's) argument was in the old system with major penalties I am off one year/on the next. Also a cut of my budget is just dead every other year with penalties.

That means I can't spend $30+m/year on Nuh or it'll significantly cut into my IFA budget. You could also be a tanker and put together a team with a $15m payroll and spend $60-70m on IFA.

If we get rid of IFA, I think you have to do new league or the talent will be just totally screwed (ESPECIALLY if we keep feeders).

Wolfman21

theres still some IFA left right now that would be first/2nd round picks in the draft and only like 4 or 5 teams have spent all their money in IFA. damn