• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

Help me with my pass defense philosophy

fanoftgame

Here is my thoughts. My adjective is to play defense like smartfootball.com article on nick saban. Stop the run on run downs with zone blitzes. On pass downs play man coverage to get off the field.

I want to force lower ranked wr to beat me !!

How I thought about doing this based on ncaa video games is using bracket or double teams since pressure isnt feasable now.

My idea is to double any star player and put my best cover cbs on the lesser wr like the slots.

So i have their stud doubled and make their medium level wrs beat my best cbs consistantly.

I banking on the fact that their lesser wr cant beat my best cb play after play and entually my best cbs will make a turnover or a play for turnover on downs. :cool:

Now there are obviously a few issues with this.

1. Multiple studs on a team.
With a 4 man rush I have 2 payers i could double. 3man rush and could double 3(tho thats asking for qb runs for big yardage).

2 What if they pass majority of the time?

Im not sure on this for couple reasons. Staying in the same coverage over and over people will eventually start to figure it out better. But mainly runing same play over and over is boring and no fun:p

I would have to mix in some maybe cover 2 tampa with a dl in a spay to cover hook in front of mlb.
Also thought if have to play zone would be to man there star and everybody esle play zone. This would bracket their star even though d would be technically unsound.
Need help here.

3. what if you have bad cbs that cant handle anyone 1on1.

This may be said about ever cb in ncaa it seems like. However I look at my defense as a more bend but dont break d instead of sabans more agressive approach. The weaker wides may beat my cbs on the fist few sets of downs or even possesions but eventually the cbs should make a play. And in a game where its more like arena football in terms of scoring turnovers and one possion extra for the offense is now what i call good defense

I dont run defense with everyone in coverage. I will always rush at least 3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Bmack

IRREGULAR HUMAN USER
Mod Alumni
My safeties are collinsworth and herring. That's my secret to success.

You can do some of the things that you talk about like stop the run and force your opponent to make the toughest possible thows to beat you deep, but you need to be flexible in how you think about doing that because of the game's shortcomings.

The results aren't going to be "realistic" per se, but if you go about it the right way, you'll see improvement.

Against the CPU, you can get incredible results. Against average human players, you can get satisfactory results. Against above average to very good human players, you are going to become very frustrated.

fanoftgame

You can do some of the things that you talk about like stop the run and force your opponent to make the toughest possible thows to beat you deep, but you need to be flexible in how you think about doing that because of the game's shortcomings.

The results aren't going to be "realistic" per se, but if you go about it the right way, you'll see improvement.

Against the CPU, you can get incredible results. Against average human players, you can get satisfactory results. Against above average to very good human players, you are going to become very frustrated.

I understand. Against human I look at the game like arena or indoor football. Im not looking stop or shutdown people. Just get 1 or 2 turnovers that will swing the game in my favor.

What do think if the concept as a whole and wut would change?

I understand. Against human I look at the game like arena or indoor football. Im not looking stop or shutdown people. Just get 1 or 2 turnovers that will swing the game in my favor.

What do think if the concept as a whole and wut would change?

Philosophically, I think it is fine. Tactically, I don't think I would go that route.

I use a mix of Cover-3, Cover-4 and Man with two deep safety help. I mix in zone blitzes and cover zero blitzes. I'd like to use a lot of Cover-1, but it's vulnerability to corner routes is just too great to use regularly.

Rather than doubling anybody, I tend to call a Cover 3 or Cover 4 and hot route a single player to man cover an inside receiver/TE that is likely to be an easy quick read/throw. This can slow down my opponent's diagnosis of the coverage. And sometimes, he will see that inside receiver has man coverage and make a very hasty decision that results in a pick.