• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

General OOTP Observations Thread

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Keep my name outcha mouth, i didnt juice them. Like 3 years i reloaded due to getting a crop of one stars which would immediately bring upon an acid rain of tears from the league about how it's not fun and there is nothing to do because ifa is so bad.

Woah Nas Ether, I was just stating facts as I knew them in hindsight since everyone is bitching about the drafts. The league seemed juiced compared to other leagues I have seen when I became active again and you mentioned you upped the IFA numbers. IFA for a couple years seemed OP but has kinda calmed down lately IMO.

So, the ratings seemed high 10 years ago and it seemed like a boom to me. The IFA might be a periphery reason as it fed some pretty serious talent for a while too. A downturn in talent fed into the league isn't a bad thing at all, OOTP has a way of compensating for booms and busts.

That's not bad, and I wasn't blaming you or anything, we have been talking about cycles here so I was offering my take. And I don't view cycles as a bad thing at all.

TonyGin&Juice

Sucking off Lawn Guy Land hobos.
Dipshit owner says to extend guy that's over the hill and overpaid. Is it safe to assume that a vesting option would satisfy this requirement?

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
As someone who used to complain about the economy constantly... I think the economy is as good as it's ever been. It makes sense. The pre-FA extensions are out of whack but whatever minor detail when the rest of the puzzle makes sense.

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
[BCOLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0)]
Ok, who is running this motherfucker now? [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0)][/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0)]I am ready to play now, changed roles at work, more free time now. I can start a team when I get back in town on Thursday the 21st. Any teams open?
[/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0)]I'll answer here so we don't clutter the thread. [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0)]I think we are full at the moment, but we will throw you on the interest list. [/BCOLOR]

Gooksta

went full GM mode.. hired a manager that had full control of lineups and pitching staff and stuff

sucks.. guy bunts way too much, and leaves pitchers in too long..

i have a sabremetric guy in rookie league.. see how his strategy does.. I want to try and stay in full GM mode if i can

CPU owners do suck though.. 21 out of 24 teams lost money last year and the triple crown winner is a free agent a month into the new year...

TonyGin&Juice

CPU owners do suck though.. 21 out of 24 teams lost money last year and the triple crown winner is a free agent a month into the new year...

I tried playing OOTP with MLB teams and it was a bore. It didn't help I picked the Padres and everyone wanted to send me AAAA bums for Trea Turner, but it wasn't as fun as this league.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Yep. My ideas for making it better are GM only and letting managers manage and trying out experimental roster building strategies.

But it's still boring and I'd rather fly a space ship.

Gooksta

Yep. My ideas for making it better are GM only and letting managers manage and trying out experimental roster building strategies.

But it's still boring and I'd rather fly a space ship.
This is what I am trying to do..it's a fictional league.. Gonna setup a college and high school feeder.. and might include a Mexican and Japanese league too..

Wolfman21

The problem with letting managers manage is that they are TERRRRRRRIBLE at it. I let my managers set my farm system lineups for a season in my offline braves league and it had half my good prospects on the bench.

Wolfman21

Have you thought maybe you are terrible at judging who your top prospects are?

No, I actually got really good at knowing the type of prospects my scout thought too highly of and the type of prospect my scout slow played. But thanks for the advice.

Gooksta

been playing around with independent leagues on a test league.. did an old timers league for 31 yrs old+ (typically overpriced vets play in it - which I wanted) and another one for college kids that dont get drafted 23 yrs old+
run the young league after the draft until the end of the season of my fictional league
then run the old timers from after the world series till about february

dont allow multi year contracts - and keep the financials to under the main fictional league's league minimum - gonna see how that works out
also do a cheap posting system. to see how that works out

Wooly

I have a few questions, I was told this is the place.

1) Generally speaking, is it harder or more expensive to try and develop players as opposed to buying FA or trading for players.
What this really gets at is how hard is it to have your prospects develop all the way from draft to good MLB players, the kind of quality players that you can get to the playoffs with? Considering all the years of sunk costs and opportunity costs to get a player from draft to All-Star, the risks (percentage of failure, whatever it is), is it actually more effective to buy/acquire players who are MLB ready, and just sprinkle in a few cheap home-made guys to keep costs down? Sure you would balloon your budget, but if you win will you be able to cover it? Why do I see so many high draft picks being traded in the league? Or is that more just a function of whomever is making the playoff push vs who is rebuilding?

2) What the correlation between ratings and actual production? Is it pretty solid, or is there a lot of variability, such that either 1) you should rely more on results on the field than ratings, or 2) it doesn't matter which way you lean (ratings or results), because it is more of a roll of the dice either way? Basically, if you see a player produce stats better than their ratings for two years, do you tend to lean more toward just playing him/promoting him/aquiring him, or do you expect a regression and trust the ratings to play out in the end?

3) Do you put much stock into the recommendations of your scouts when they mark a players as ready or not ready for the level they are at int he minors? I have noticed they say a lot of guys "may not be ready for this level" with very few marked as ready for advancement?

4) How do you use your AAA squad in OOTP? Is it like real life when top prospects tend to jump from AA to MLB with limited time at AAA, or do you advance through the levels too AAA and then MLB usually? Speaking of that, where do you tend to start top prospects, like 1-5 draftees? Rookie, A, AA?

Wolfman21

1. I like to have a good farm system and sprinkle in Free agents and trades to round out my team. Drafts aren't great but you can get good players. Trading for prospects or buying IFAs is the best way to get good ones. You'll have international finds or guys you never expected to be anything that become really useful as well.

2. Some folks know more about babip, fip, etc etc than I do. High rating guys are gonna out perform lower rating guys. Now there are bad seasons, bad weeks, etc. Also, personality ratings seem to change the way they perform as well.

3. I pay no attention to what my scout says about guys being ready. I pay attention to their stats and their ratings. I won't move a guy out of A ball till they're atleast 20 unless they're killing it and their ratings are in the 45+ range.

4. Most 9f my AAA squad is guys that I could use in a pinch in the big leagues but I wouldn't care about cutting tomorrow. I will give a good prospect some time in AAA if they kill AA but I don't have a need for them in the WBL. If a player is ready, I'll bring them straight from AA but I do like for them to get a few games in AAA atleast

Schauwn

I have a few questions, I was told this is the place.

1) Generally speaking, is it harder or more expensive to try and develop players as opposed to buying FA or trading for players.
What this really gets at is how hard is it to have your prospects develop all the way from draft to good MLB players, the kind of quality players that you can get to the playoffs with? Considering all the years of sunk costs and opportunity costs to get a player from draft to All-Star, the risks (percentage of failure, whatever it is), is it actually more effective to buy/acquire players who are MLB ready, and just sprinkle in a few cheap home-made guys to keep costs down? Sure you would balloon your budget, but if you win will you be able to cover it? Why do I see so many high draft picks being traded in the league? Or is that more just a function of whomever is making the playoff push vs who is rebuilding?

2) What the correlation between ratings and actual production? Is it pretty solid, or is there a lot of variability, such that either 1) you should rely more on results on the field than ratings, or 2) it doesn't matter which way you lean (ratings or results), because it is more of a roll of the dice either way? Basically, if you see a player produce stats better than their ratings for two years, do you tend to lean more toward just playing him/promoting him/aquiring him, or do you expect a regression and trust the ratings to play out in the end?

3) Do you put much stock into the recommendations of your scouts when they mark a players as ready or not ready for the level they are at int he minors? I have noticed they say a lot of guys "may not be ready for this level" with very few marked as ready for advancement?

4) How do you use your AAA squad in OOTP? Is it like real life when top prospects tend to jump from AA to MLB with limited time at AAA, or do you advance through the levels too AAA and then MLB usually? Speaking of that, where do you tend to start top prospects, like 1-5 draftees? Rookie, A, AA?

If you're refering to an offline dynasty then I mostly agree with Wolfman on this, but I just want to add in regards to your second question, it depends on how accurate you setup your scouting when you started the game. Mostly, I'd pay attention to the stats when at the MLB level because you know they're facing quality competition, as opposed to the minor leagues where you might have someone excelling, but only because they're facing lesser competition.

Wooly

Thanks. This is for WBL. Someone quit already so I can take over your team. I am OUs understudy for one day and he has already had me get him five cups of coffee, three of which he subsequently dumped on my head. Save me from my Brickdom.

TonyGin&Juice

IFAs are the ultimate lottery tickets (most are really Powerball types) and, at least in our league, you can really only be in play for the guys that "look" close to being WBL ready in the next 2-5 seasons by going insane on the signing bonuses. Obviously there are penalties if you go over a certain amount each season in IFA but IFA is really, at least for our league, the best way to build a complete organization given the weak draft classes we have more often than not. In terms of "opportunity costs" you have to take into consideration how often prospects bust, especially pitching prospects. Position guys you can at least turn into utility infielders or defensive substitutes but with pitching prospects if one of the main characteristics don't develop you've got a guy that's of no use to you.

I still have a long way to go but my goal is build a deep farm system so I can augment the WBL team through trades for pieces I need that I can't afford in FA. Yes, you have to be lucky and not draft guys that are busts in order for this to work (and hit on the few IFAs you sign) but in this league there are few options for you to improve your team outside of FA and IFA involving money. The lack of compensation picks for Type A FAs isn't necessarily a killer (since you can usually move those guys at the trade deadline) but if you don't have the budget it doesn't really matter since you're limited not only in FA but IFA and the draft.

I had four guys do really well in AA last season who are the first wave of "prospects" to graduate from the team since I took over and started the rebuild. All of those guys did really well because the key player (Gil "Blanks" MacDonald) was pretty much ready for WBL at the beginning of that season. He'll probably struggle out of the gate for the first half of this season but by the time he has it together the guys that were around him at AA (that are now at AAA) will be ready to join him. The ratings are a good guide but looking at how they actually perform and who they're performing against is more important than the ratings, unless there's a ratings dip (i.e. a guy died).

Again, those are good as a guide but sometimes you just have to burn an option and see how guys do. I have a player I feel is a potential 5+ WAR guy on my 40 man right now (Bugs Pineda) that I'm going to bring up for some games at the WBL level after June. If he can hang after an extended audition I'm going to keep him up for good, if he struggles I didn't really lose anything other than his arbitration and FA time moving up, which I can easily afford.

Most of my "first wave" prospects are in AAA to start the season (at least until June when the Super Two period pass) and then they're getting called up. Guys that are on the WBL roster that I don't see any future in outside of roles (defense and speed first guys, BP arms with no control) or injury replacements (SP that are mediocre with no room for improvement) go in AAA along with prospects I don't want to start the clock on.

Wooly

Thanks guys.

Defensive development, does it happen at a more rapid pace in the minors, or is it the same at the ML level? If a player has a great infield range, like 65-70, and I want to train him to be a SS (was a 2B with 80 defense), when should I bring him up to MLB? If he gets up to 45 in the minors and then I bring him up to ML, will he work up to 60+ or something, or do I need to leave him in the minors longer?

Is there any real difference in development rates for any category between different levels of the minors?

Orlando

Utopia Moderator
Most development is faster in the minors. Defense is mostly just experience and innings played. Eventually they will get there regardless of level.

Different levels of minors doesn't really matter, although if the player is overmatched for multiple years it could hurt them.

Gooksta

one of the more impressive prospect i have seen in the game.. just added college to my fictional league (just put in some power 5 college uni's because it was easy). but this guy was just as impressive as "bug" was

Last edited:

Wolfman21

22 and his current ratings are that low? Oh I see, his personality ratings suck. He'll never come close to that potential.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
@Mr. Radpants

- Recoded scouting algorithms, young players are more often overrated and veterans are more accurately scouted
- Redesigned defensive engine allowing more shift options and increasing realism of defensive stats
- Users may define team needs (league trade screens section) and the AI will react to those with trade offers
- Improved in-game, roster & trade AI
- Improved player creation & development routines
- Adjust in-game logic (pinch hitting for pitchers)
- Small edits to pages (salary report, game page lineups, arbitration page)
- AI adjustments (playoff pitching rotation, bullpen generation, 40-man roster)
- Added leverage index to pitching stats, and splits by leverage for players
- Added leverage options to bullpen roles
- Adjusted player chemistry calculations
- Added option to allow human managers to be fired in online leagues
- Added option to have the AI set the minor league roster based on player skill or the conventional way, filling teams from top to bottom until no players are left (only available when "incomplete minors / ghost players is enabled)
- Added multi-year player opt-outs in contracts
- Improved AI handling of minor league systems
- Fixed draft display for players with impossible demands
- Several bug fixes and tweaks

Some pretty promising features in that list.

@Orlando @osick87
- Added SQLite support to replace /news/txt files
- Added the ability to export & import the draft order in CSV format (in commish mode, draft screen or draft order screen in transactions screen)

This could end up helping a lot in creating better draft systems if someone over there works on it. Maybe it will help the ootpou guy make his utility better

osick87

Community Liaison
Things on that list I like
  • More Shift Options
  • Leverage options for bullpen allows me to build how I want it
  • Opt-outs