• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

General OOTP Observations Thread

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
Hey, whoever sims tonight....

I was making a salary offer to Carter Gibson and during the negotiations I didn't realize his counter offer was a 6 year contract until after I'd submitted and gotten a favorable reaction. Can you just trim the last year off if he signs (I think the contract is more than fair regardless, but I don't want to break the 5 year rule).

He's a free agent now, sorry.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I made like 5 offers this week after considering my 5 year plan and that's the only one I dicked up, lol. I'm glad Kusuma and Launay are both cheap AF because Gibson wanted a paycheck.

Wolfman21

Have now won the 2028 and 2030 World Series in my offline sim. Just won the 2030 world series with my Ace and my best position player lost for the season in July to injury.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Look at this two way player :drooling: Lefty. Horrible fielding ratings

8AIqEk1.png

Wolfman21

just saw an 18 month recovery time for "elbow ligament reconstruction surgery" for one of my young relief pitchers in my offline league. Holy cow...never seen one that long before. So long to that kids career

Wolfman21

shit me. In my offline sim, my starting 2nd baseman of 4 years(26 years old) was hitting .366/.427/.471 through 70 games in the 2033 season before straining his groin and goin out for 5 weeks. His time is up, so i send him on a rehab assignment. Dude gets beaned in the head on his rehab assignment for a career ending injury. lol. That same day, my backup 2nd baseman who was hitting .333 in my starters place went down for 4 weeks with a strained forearm.

Wolfman21

Heres where my offline Atlanta Braves sim stands.

Started with the Braves in 2015. I'm now in 2033, so its been 18 years. I made my first postseason appearance in 2020. I've been to the postseason 10 times in my 18 year career. Have won 2 world series titles in 2028 and 2030. Have now won 100+ games in 5 seasons. Have won the NL East 9 times. Have only made the world series twice out of my 10 postseason appearances but have won it both times. Have had a pitcher win a triple crown and had a batter win a triple crown.

There have only been 2 perfect games in the 18 years I have played this sim. Craig Kimbrel finished 57 saves shy of Mariano Rivera's saves record while pitching 200 less innings and playing 2 fewer seasons.

Wolfman21

I was wondering if I was doing something wrong and it being too easy. Then i went on the OOTP website and saw dudes that have won like 10 world series in a row, so i feel like i'm keeping it somewhat realistic. I am gonna have to tone down my IFA stuff though. Its wayyyyy too easy to beat the computer teams for stud IFA guys. I've toned it down and only gone after a couple dudes every other season. I mean, i got a SS 3 seasons ago that had like 70/60/65/55/60 potential with great defense for like 8 mil. Thats ridiculous. So i've gotta set some rules in place for myself.

Though Washington is giving me a run for my money in the NL East right now. They actually won it in 2032 and they pushed me til the end in 2033. Everyone, sans pitcher, in their lineup has double digit homers and I face them in the first round of the playoffs. They've only got one guy over the age of 28 as well.

We'll see what happens here

Wolfman21

That moment when your closer throws a wild pitch with a runner on 3rd and the game tied in the top of the 9th of game 7 of the NLCS:

TERRY-COLLINS-ducks-for-cover.gif

What made it worse was I had been no hit through 7 innings, tied it up in the bottom of the 8th, my closer comes in, walks a guy, gives up a single for first and 3rd...strikes out two and then throws the wild pitch.

Wolfman21

gotta be pretty stringent because its pretty damn difficult to trade. I don't think i've ever been offered what I would consider even a "fair" deal. I usually have to give up a pretty good chunk to get much of anything. I have traded a couple of my stud pitchers close to the ends of their 20's or at age 30/31 for a Top 50 prospect before. I've gotten pretty good at telling when my pitchers are beginning to hit the downside of their careers.

I will say though, the computer teams draft like assholes. I've seen numerous top 5 picks that were basically wasted on garbage.

just checked: Trading difficulty is on average. I would have figured it to be higher. hm

Wolfman21

Also, i'm letting the AI handle my minor leagues and goshdamn is it stupid. My top prospect is this catcher thats 19 years old. The AI started him in A ball for 14 games then proceeded to play him at all 3 of my rookie ball leagues for 30, 17 and 8 games respectively, lol.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
____ was injured while angrily throwing his controller after losing in a baseball video game. The Diagnosis: torn flexor tendon (elbow). He's expected to miss about 8-9 months.

Karl Hungus

Here to fix the cable
I've had owner goals (offline) to acquire a hometown player, any idea if having a star from the same country that your team is located gives more of a bump to fan interest/attendance/merch than just having a star from somewhere else?

My 1st rounder from this past draft (Hoss So) is from Seoul.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
If you are looking at someone on another team, their Local Popularity is local to where they are currently playing and not local to you, right? The National popularity would be a better barometer for how excited your fans would get?

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Last team I guess? There's nothing clear in the OOTP manual but given one of the main factors is performance I have to assume it's tied to his team

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Last team I guess? There's nothing clear in the OOTP manual but given one of the main factors is performance I have to assume it's tied to his team

Even with Free Agents? That's kinda weird.

OOTP needs inside edge defense added. :love:

Inside Edge Defense, 2012 – 2015
[xtable=border:1]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Player{/td}
{td}Remote{/td}
{td}Unlikely{/td}
{td}Even{/td}
{td}Likely{/td}
{td}Routine{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Simmons{/td}
{td}9.3%{/td}
{td}45.1%{/td}
{td}73.8%{/td}
{td}81.9%{/td}
{td}99.0%{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Aybar{/td}
{td}0.6%{/td}
{td}27.6%{/td}
{td}42.9%{/td}
{td}74.8%{/td}
{td}96.5%{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]

Gooksta

Even with Free Agents? That's kinda weird.

OOTP needs inside edge defense added. :love:

Inside Edge Defense, 2012 – 2015
[xtable=border:1]
{tbody}
{tr}
{td}Player{/td}
{td}Remote{/td}
{td}Unlikely{/td}
{td}Even{/td}
{td}Likely{/td}
{td}Routine{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Simmons{/td}
{td}9.3%{/td}
{td}45.1%{/td}
{td}73.8%{/td}
{td}81.9%{/td}
{td}99.0%{/td}
{/tr}
{tr}
{td}Aybar{/td}
{td}0.6%{/td}
{td}27.6%{/td}
{td}42.9%{/td}
{td}74.8%{/td}
{td}96.5%{/td}
{/tr}
{/tbody}
[/xtable]
Ootp needs catcher frame ratings, fly ball and groundball rates for hitters too

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Anyone with some thoughts on "lack" of aces/top pitching? Here are a few random points:

-- Seems like guys are just falling off cliffs very quickly and randomly. Cliff Jackson on my team was top 10 in ERA in each of his first seven full seasons (including 2nd last year) and now is just useless. He's only 29. I'm thinking maybe the fact he specifically threw more than 200 innings almost every season (plus made an extra 15 starts). He's not an "ace" but he went from consistently one of the best SP in Varsity to worthless. He didn't have any arm injuries either. The main point: are we running these guys into the ground and not paying enough attention to pitch counts, innings, etc.?

-- Are we not rehabbing guys enough? Maybe it matters more than we think in terms of guys getting a legit rehab assignment/lighter workload off the injury. I usually just throw the guy back into the thick of it. Maybe other teams do that too.

-- Is it just a cycle? I think @Orlando has posted this before. That the game just goes in cycles. It seems like we haven't been getting super arms in the draft or IFA of late.

-- Obviously we added two teams and have probably as many active owners as we've had so that means that there are less good arms per active team is one final point.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I did lol @doh using the decline of his 4th ACE pitcher as evidence of a lack of aces in the league. Cliff is "Only 29" but he's been pitching in the WBL since he was 21, lol. I think 8 straight years as an ACE pitcher is a pretty long career. If you didn't want him to die at 29, you probably should have eased him in to the WBL about age 25, which is an important age for pitchers per the OOTP manual. Before age 25 pitchers are more susceptible to injury if they are pitched too often and you'd pitched him 900 pro innings by age 25. Zack Campbell started at 21 and is still throwing strong at 31. Naka started at 19 and has pitched a solid 14 fuckin years with like a 175+ inning average Hopefully those guys are the exception because this league would be pretty boring if you can start a 21 year old in the WBL and have him throw like an ace until he's 40 or some shit.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
I also think the feeder leagues will make the average age of pitching prospects increase. Look at the 2050 draft as an example. 3 years later and only 1 of those pitching prospects had his cup o'coffee.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
way in has been rising up the sthick charts since it's first use some days ago, I'd say it's a top 5 sthick on this site for years right now.

And Sabertooth doesn't just want his cup of Coffee, he wants a whole chain of coffee based cafes. AAA CHAMP and WBL CHAMP IN THE SAME SEASON

NML

Oof, I never do rehab assignments. Need to do better there.

Do y'all do it for all players or just pitchers?

I don't feel like there's been any "elite" pitching prospects in the draft in the past two years. Probably only a couple WBL-level starters.

OU11

Pleighboi
Utopia Moderator
WBL was overloaded with talent for years, and OU juiced IFA. Not surprised at all the league is compensating.
Keep my name outcha mouth, i didnt juice them. Like 3 years i reloaded due to getting a crop of one stars which would immediately bring upon an acid rain of tears from the league about how it's not fun and there is nothing to do because ifa is so bad.