• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

General OOTP Observations Thread

osick87

Community Liaison
If we were still at 16 teams, I probably would have brought up a R league more. Every team seemed to have more talent than positions and took considerable juggling. The extra 50-60 A spots the expansion gave us, has led to this being less of an issue.

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
There are way too many minor league levels in single player for me to enjoy it.
It's one of the reasons I don't really play single player anymore. I don't really get into fictional leagues so I rather play reel or historical leagues. I guess there is a way you can edit it though to make it have less leagues.
If we were still at 16 teams, I probably would have brought up a R league more. Every team seemed to have more talent than positions and took considerable juggling. The extra 50-60 A spots the expansion gave us, has led to this being less of an issue.
I was the biggest proponent of rookie league in the UBL but I don't think we need it. The problem in the UBL was with there was no IC so you had all of these 16-18 year old IFAs plus the regular guys you'd have in A. This is the first year where I'm going to have to get creative with my A-ball team to get everyone in (and I just think it was because this draft was absolutely stacked). I don't think we have enough players to do rookie league.

Yankee151

Hot Girl Summer
Yea it's no longer needed, I really only do it in single player to be a contrarian, you can eliminate it though (Even in a real MLB game if you like)

Wolfman21

so i'm doing a single player offline game with real MLB teams/rosters. I'm in my 3rd season and have noticed that the draft is kinda screwy. College players are aged 22-24 now and High School players are aged anywhere from 17-22. This doesn't make sense to me. Is there a setting I can change to fix this? I mean...I'm in the 2017 season and a 19 year old "HS" player has a stat line from the 2014 season...lol.

I've actually found two players in the draft pool that are at NC State right now that would be draft eligible in 2017 and the sim says they are from "High School". Either something has screwed up or I screwed something up. The talent in the draft classes have slowly declined as well. The first draft class was more talented than the second one and the second one more talented than this one. Anyone that knows how to fix this, I'd love to know how asap

Last edited:

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Doing real time (offline) sims is a great way to play this game. I like having the sims going fast (120 or 300) while I make changes to my team or cruise around the league, taking a look at the game box score occasionally.

I was thinking it would be pretty good doing real time sims on a secondary monitor while doing non-intense work.

Wolfman21

II'm in 2019 of my offline Braves sim. I've lost 3 top prospects to the rule 5 draft because i'm an idiot. I have tons of great young pitching but my bats are horrrrrrid. Have only had one season over .500

My favorite thing to do is fool with the sim on one monitor while watching MST3k on a 2nd monitor. The hours just tick away

jdlikewhoa

II'm in 2019 of my offline Braves sim. I've lost 3 top prospects to the rule 5 draft because i'm an idiot. I have tons of great young pitching but my bats are horrrrrrid. Have only had one season over .500

My favorite thing to do is fool with the sim on one monitor while watching MST3k on a 2nd monitor. The hours just tick away

Yup

Wolfman21

Its year 2020 in my offline Atlanta Braves sim. I just made my first playoffs by winning the wild card and then lost the wild card game to the D-Backs :(. I've got a ton of crazy good pitchers coming up through the ranks and my pitching has led the league in most categories for the last few seasons. My hitting has been terrrrrrible though. Hurts also that I traded away a second baseman who at the time was like 45's across the board and 20 years old. I just found him as rookie of the year and he has like 60 contact, 75 power, 60 eye and is a 70 defense 2nd baseman. That one really hurt.

Wolfman21

just had a knuckleballer drafted #1 overall in my offline sim @Wendell Gee

potential ratings at 60/60/55 with a 55 potential changeup and 80 potential knuckleball. I'm gonna shortlist him and see how his career goes.

Wolfman21

lol...my Braves team went 101-61 in the regular season...10 games better than any other team in the league. Sweep the Brewers in the divisional series to face off against the Reds in the NLCS. Reds went 87-75 in the regular season and finished anywhere from 5th-10th in the NL in every major team statistical category. My 3 main SP's had ERA's in the mid 2's and low 3's. Theirs were in the high 3's and low 4's. Their lineup had two guys batting over .280. Mine had 5. What happens you ask? Reds win in 5 games by scores of 18-5, 8-2, 9-5 and 4-3. :emo:

Injuries in this game are absolutely freaking brutal as well. I lost my starting CF to a 2-3 week injury about 4 times during the season. There was nothing I could have tried differently. I gave him good rest, i had him do rehab stints...just seemed like once a month hed go down with an injury. Atleast it wasn't as bad as last season when I lost my top 3 starters to 3-4 month injuries

I'm pretty pumped about the coming seasons though. I've got a right fielder coming up through my system that would make Bryce Harper blush. 65 contact/60 gap/75 homerun/80 eye/65 avoid k. If he somehow even comes close to those #'s then lookout. Hes only 19 years old, but hes already got 50 ratings across the board so i'm thinking hes gonnna come close. His slash line through a year of rookie ball and a year of A ball is .310/.412/.515.

Gooksta

my prospects ratings got updated: 60/70/80/80/50

jesus christ this kids gonna be an animal
post em when he gets to AA..

7c6103215dccbba79273a01bc65c035c_original.

Wolfman21

So I won the 2025 world series last night, left the game up on my computer without saving, and my computer restarted due to an update and I lost the entire season :eek::confused::crying:

Wolfman21

So i finally got back to my offline sim and am re-doing my championship season and holy shit is it going so differently. I basically led the NL East from the first week to the last week in my championship season. I'm at June 1st so far in my re-do and am sitting at 20-28 with 3 starting position players and 2 starting pitchers on the DL for 5+ weeks. :(

Wolfman21

team has fought through the injuries and is 48-48 on July 26th. HOWEVER, i keep getting emails from players about how terrible the lockerroom chemistry is. So I check each player's personality traits to see if I can find who the troublemakers are. I shit you not, every single player has good personality traits. A ton of "team leaders" and "just a good guy". Not one player has the "he loafs too much" or poor work ethic. I have no clue what to do. So f it

Wolfman21

Ended up finishing 1 game out of the wild card. Bout to start the next season with super stud Kelvin Young in right field. 65 contact, 80 power, 80 eye, 55 avoid k. Dude should be absolutely ridiculous in a season or two.

Wolfman21

won the NL East by 10 games. Lost in 4 games in the first round. Entered playoffs with super stud Kelvin Young on the DL. He hit .308/.402/.503 with 21 homers and 77 RBI in 131 games on his way to winning rookie of the year. ratings now stand at 70 contact, 65 gap, 80 power, 80 eye, 55 avoid k. Ridiculous

doh

THANK YOU Dermott McHeshi
Posted about McHeshi in another thread... thought I'd share this in the general observations thread.

He was about the most injury prone player I've had. So, I decided to put him on basically a program where he starts a maximum of 5 games per week. I've also tried to play him vs. the better pitchers I face that week too to increase my chances of winning. I've leaned towards home games as well as playing him vs. RHP instead of LHP if there are LHP starting that week. I've also shut him down for the last sim (or two sims some years) and lowered his play even more than that in September's when I'm making the playoffs.

Maybe it's just dumb luck but here are the results

2040-45 (age 21-26 seasons): 204 injury days (out 185 days) -- 34 injury days/season
2046-50 (age 27-31 seasons): 22 injury days (out 8 days) -- 4.4 injury days/season

Wolfman21

so apparently super stud kelvin young is a bit of a headcase. Just missed 5 days of Spring Training with an "undisclosed injury". Checked my email and there was a story written about him getting into a fight with his wife and punching the wall, lol.

Wolfman21

2028 Champs! Swept the blue jays. sweet redemption for the non save championship i had a few seasons ago

Also had a Cuban player I signed during free agency in 2027 hit for the triple crown. .354/.423/.662 with 46 homers and 130 RBI. Dudes ratings are 80 contact, 60 gap, 70 homerun, 60 eye, 70 avoid k. Best part is I signed him as a free agent at age 25, so i'll have him under team control for basically all of his prime years.

Wolfman21

the owners decided to lower the active roster limit from 25 to 24 this offseason. Grrrrr...so stupid

Also, my player who won the Triple Crown didn't even win the Silver Slugger for his position :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Hey, whoever sims tonight....

I was making a salary offer to Carter Gibson and during the negotiations I didn't realize his counter offer was a 6 year contract until after I'd submitted and gotten a favorable reaction. Can you just trim the last year off if he signs (I think the contract is more than fair regardless, but I don't want to break the 5 year rule).