• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

General OOTP Observations Thread

fignuts

See You Next Wednesday
How long of a season did we run? 54G?

12 teams. No injuries and No fatigue since 3 SP and a CL.

ZackMills

Have mercy
[mention]ZackMills [/mention] May hafta run some sims to redeem ur Torre bungle.

892bc12ef1beeb54348742c3c475b384.jpg

IIRC we did a resim with me getting a replacement level catcher and my team significantly improved!

I'd love to redo that with my pitching gimmick.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I turned the Tigers around by 2024 (@kella) and made the World Series but lost. I had the best record in the AL last year, but got swept in the opening round by Seattle, who went on to lose to the Mets in the World Series. Art doesn't imitate life.

The Dodgers appeared in five WS in a row before that, winning four and losing one to the Angels. They were just too good on paper for the sim engine to handle. They have now bottomed out somehow, though. The Nats just signed Fernando Tatis in Free Agency @Orlando

I also have the best farm system (because IFA is incredible cheese). I'm going to lose Manning and Mize to Free Agency soon, but still have Kumar Rocker for the foreseeable future. Trying to work within this budget is challenging.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I really think they need to overhaul IFA somehow - there should be more depth in how you focus on countries and build academies. The draft changes are pretty solid.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
It definitely takes more running an MLB team because there are like 40 levels of minors. :laughing:I've tried to set up leagues similar to the WBL (three levels of minors and similar settings), but I've never gotten enough immersion out of fictional league teams when I set them up myself.

Selfishly, as the MLB is ruining MiLB, I'm kind of relieved because it will make OOTP Franchises easier to manage.

Here's what I've been doing on this run to make the time management easier, though:
  • Act as a true GM and fire/hire managers. They make all lineup and pitching decisions. It is hard to find a great manager, btw, and you will disagree with their decisions
  • Mostly sim, occasionally watch the games. Watch all playoff games. I never manage, but watch the decisions the manager makes
  • I delegate minor league promotions to my assistant GM, and lock players that I feel strongly about and move them along myself
It does feel a little disconnected, so I'm still working a balance that will increase immersion. I think watching more games will do it. And I think having more players that I drafted or signed will help - now that Kumar Rocker has arrived, I'm having more fun.

The most painful thing to work is bulk roster moves, managing injuries, and declining trades (the CPU pings you with truly idiotic trades every week)

Wolfman21

It definitely takes more running an MLB team because there are like 40 levels of minors. :laughing:I've tried to set up leagues similar to the WBL (three levels of minors and similar settings), but I've never gotten enough immersion out of fictional league teams when I set them up myself.

Selfishly, as the MLB is ruining MiLB, I'm kind of relieved because it will make OOTP Franchises easier to manage.

Here's what I've been doing on this run to make the time management easier, though:
  • Act as a true GM and fire/hire managers. They make all lineup and pitching decisions. It is hard to find a great manager, btw, and you will disagree with their decisions
  • Mostly sim, occasionally watch the games. Watch all playoff games. I never manage, but watch the decisions the manager makes
  • I delegate minor league promotions to my assistant GM, and lock players that I feel strongly about and move them along myself
It does feel a little disconnected, so I'm still working a balance that will increase immersion. I think watching more games will do it. And I think having more players that I drafted or signed will help - now that Kumar Rocker has arrived, I'm having more fun.

The most painful thing to work is bulk roster moves, managing injuries, and declining trades (the CPU pings you with truly idiotic trades every week)

yeah, i try and let my managers in the minors handle lineups and rotations...however sometimes they royally screw it up and its difficult to get guys reps at different positions. I dunno...it can be just a royal PITA at times. I did just start up a Rockies franchise though thanks to you....starting on a shortened 60 game season and just did a draft. Got a couple good looking pitchers and a good looking 3B bat that hopefully will be my replacement for Arenado when i trade him after a season or two because hes not worth 35,000,000 a year

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Does Arenado have an opt out? Somehow he hit 54 HRs for Colorado and became a free agent after 2021, rejecting a qualifying offer (?).

He then signed with the Dodgers and he's a complete monster. I would still trade someone like that more times than not to build my own roster.

Wolfman21

Does Arenado have an opt out? Somehow he hit 54 HRs for Colorado and became a free agent after 2021, rejecting a qualifying offer (?).

He then signed with the Dodgers and he's a complete monster. I would still trade someone like that more times than not to build my own roster.

Yeah, he has a player option after 2021. So i'll prolly use him through the first half of the 2021 season and trade him prior to the deadline. Prolly gonna trade Story before the end of the 2020 season as his contract is up after 2021 as well.

lol, i just looked and the Rockies have 8(8!!) minor league teams...3 rookie, A-, A, A+, AA and AAA.....jesus save me

ZackMills

Have mercy
Being GM and Manager was way too overwhelming for Lenny lol. I probably could have tinkered with delegating like Rad mentioned, but I chose to have him just be a manager and make lineups and pitching rotations, then do all the in-game stuff. He seems to enjoy that thus far.

I started him off unemployed since I thought he'd have to RISE THE RANKS and manage some rookie ball team. Instead the Angels seemed fine hiring an inexperienced 8 year old as their manager!

ZackMills

Have mercy
It worked out since managing Ohtani will be FUN until he's traded away for some 30 year old utility infielder. Then he'll realize he should be making all the moves and start a new save as GM!

Wolfman21

Traded Trevor Story to the Twins for Royce Lewis and Alex Kirillof..........Fan Happiness? REEEEEEEEEED

Dodgers start season 9-13.....finish 40-20 and beat the Indians in 5 for the World Series

Last edited:

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
I threw up games on a spare monitor today when things were slower. Set it to not pause between plays and let the manager do his thing. Glance over and watch a few plays when it gets interesting. Pretty fun WFH set up.

IMMERSION INCREASING

ZackMills

Have mercy
I threw up games on a spare monitor today when things were slower. Set it to not pause between plays and let the manager do his thing. Glance over and watch a few plays when it gets interesting. Pretty fun WFH set up.

IMMERSION INCREASING

Do you watch the 3d modern or whatever it is called? I can't read flyballs off the bat at all. I think flyouts to shallow OF are homers.

Wolfman21

i haven't even started the 2021 season yet and i've taken the rockies farm system from the 28th best to ole numero uno.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
Couldn't find a compelling team - they ruined Ohtani and the prospect ratings are just too low across the board. Closest I got was the Giants.

Decided to import my Tigers save and keep pushing into the future. I might switch teams at some point as I'd like to do a larger market rebuild at some point.

Rough year this year, my pitching just isn't performing even though it should be a strength. I made the WS and lost in 2024. In 2025 I got bounced in the first round.

Wolfman21

wow...that ERA bump from your previous 3 seasons is insane. I would think that will come down as the season progresses and being only 4 games below .500...you're still within striking distance.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
The .319 is the BABIP! So pretty unlucky so far.

This is my last season with Casey Mize (fragile, not extending) and only two more with Matt Manning (injured). Kumar Rocker is the GOAT

And have some decent other arms as well.

I have good defense, so just a rough stretch maybe. But I'll keep working it.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By
wow...that ERA bump from your previous 3 seasons is insane. I would think that will come down as the season progresses and being only 4 games below .500...you're still within striking distance.

Rebounded in the second half and won the division. Still an awful season from Matt Manning and Rocker a couple other arms.

Mr. Radpants

Trog Five Standing By

lol Seattle.

Down 2-0, I went to Seattle. Nailbiter game three until my first baseman (low contact, super high eye, power) hit a grand slam in the 7th, we won 4-1. Game 4 we won 7-4.

Back in Detroit for Game 5 Kumar Rocker was lights out, we smoke them 8-0.

Wolfman21

I quick mostly during the season, but I watch the playoffs. I hire managers/staff and let the managers manage. Play the true GM, don't set lineups, etc.

Very different from WBL.

@ZackMills the 3D is a lot better this year I think.

i've always wanted to do more season sims, but i like to micromanage and it takes like...2 weeks to get through a season. Just too much time handling BS. So ive been trying to think of ways to play that don't do that. I just don't know if i could sit back and watch a manager do something different than what i want and then it come back to bite me.