• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

SMALL BALLERS GON LOOK [FM20] Mr. Manager Unemployment Dynasty

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
After being laid off from his engineering jerb for refusing to eat burritos in the kitchen with the rest of the staff, Mr. Manager began applying for open managerial positions in the footballing world.

Cambridge Untied in League 2 is the starting place for Mr. Manager's "sweeping and comprehensive changes!"
1593489460229.png
1593489515575.png

ZackMills

Have mercy
Was tempted to grab FM20 since it is on SALE and I've never played it, but remembered a real Exile server is starting this weekend and I need to grind for the Van Buren Boys.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
After way too much analysis of the roster, I've decided to run a 4-4-2 formation. I have solid depth at striker and in the central midfield. I have much less depth at the winger positions, but thankfully have some versatile players who can cover multiple positions in a pinch, so I don't absolutely NEED to sign anyone, but I will probably look for a winger who can play both sides. I have pretty good depth at the FB/WB spots, but unfortunately my best player on each side is injured for 3 months. I might pick up a backup wingback who can play both sides. I'm really thin at CB, with only 3 total players on the roster. Decent depth at GK.

Here is the starting XI... Coker and Knoyle both out for 3 months, but I put them in to show the ideal lineup.
1593577955116.png

And here is the 2-Deep - Hannant is currently the primary backup for both wing positions, and Taylor is currently the primary backup for both CB spots.
1593578233862.png

The wage scale is a little out of whack, because my highest paid player makes roughly double what everyone else makes and isn't on the 2-Deep (but he can play both CM roles, so he will start a lot), and only 1 of the top five highest paid players is on my starting XI. Fortunately, most of those contracts are set to expire at the end of this season, so I don't have a lot of dead money. All of my 2 year contracts look great.

The good news is I have enough payroll to bring in at least 4-5 starters and I don't need that many players. I don't have much transfer budget, so I'll need to be smart about who I bring in!

Key Needs:
1. Starting CB

Secondary Needs:
1. Depth at winger
2. Depth at FB, maybe a loan because I have 2 good players who are just injured.

My best player by a good bit is the 20 year old CM Jack Roles. He would be a player I'd use in plenty of my previous teams at higher levels. I hope he will really shine in League Two.
1593579152337.png

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
@hayvis

Tell me what you know about Cambridge United!

Cambridge United Football Club is a professional association football club based in the city of Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England. The team compete in League Two, the fourth tier of the English football league system. The club is based at the Abbey Stadium on Newmarket Road, approximately 1.86 miles (3 kilometres) east of Cambridge city centre. The stadium has a capacity of 8,127, made up of terracing and seated areas.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Cambridge United Football Club is a professional association football club based in the city of Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England. The team compete in League Two, the fourth tier of the English football league system. The club is based at the Abbey Stadium on Newmarket Road, approximately 1.86 miles (3 kilometres) east of Cambridge city centre. The stadium has a capacity of 8,127, made up of terracing and seated areas.

Lol @ ur @CJONES wiki response. I want a @TonyGin&Juice explanation of the town! Can you tell me more about what Cambridge or Cambridgesheterhsire Sauce is like? I eventually want to visit every place I manage in FM (already hit Koln and Napoli!) so hopefully I didn't pick a dud of a town, lol.

I think the main problem (in the past) was that the online FM leagues required everyone to be online simultaneously and that seemed untenable. @osick87 (RIP) and I did some friendly matches with exported teams from our saves, and I found that fun.

I think if we did a Utopia online thing, we'd just do all our own individual sims and then export teams for a UTOPIA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE tourney.

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Here's Cambridge's all time best moment:

I love when Bristol City gets a goal near the end (down 5-1) and the goal scorer runs into the net to grab the ball and gets in a pushy-shovey match with the GK. I think that's my all time favorite soccer thing, when players rush into the goal to retrieve the ball so that they can run it back quickly and the GK takes offense! It's always such a soccer moment, where everyone feigns offense and plays patty cake!

goblue96

Disney and Curling Expert

Thanks, Wikipedia!

hayvis

Will-Gnome Member
@Travis7401 - Cambridge is a University town. It's really old and full of students, professors and research grads. Out of Oxford and Cambridge, it's the more left wing/liberal university and has always been more difficult to gain admission. I had friends at school who were given unconditional offers to Oxford partly due to family ties, but Cambridge will rescind your offer if you don't get the top grades. That's why you'll find Bojo and the Tories primarily attended Oxford. It's a beautiful place and not far out of London so you can get there pretty easily if you visit. It will get boring after a few nights though.

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
Had a great pre season, scoring a good amount of goals and didn't concede very many either! Two of the goals in the latest game came in garbage time when I had all the backups in as well, we were up 4-1 at half. I'm having a tough time with the scouting, since I don't know any players at all lol.

1593664639084.png

VICTOR had a really nice preseason, with 4 goals and an assist in 3 starts and 3 sub appearances. He was a handful for the opposition!
1593664953036.png

DUNK was the highest rated player for my preseason, even though he's only a fringe player and is on the downside of his career. I was pleased to see him contributing assists (4) and a goal as well. He was just a solid player in each game, good thing because I'm thin at the wings

1593665068908.png

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
One month in!

1593809895995.png

We're at 16th in League 2 with a record of 2 wins and 4 losses. We also won two rounds of the CARABAO CUP.

1593809966645.png

The most recent loss was a heart breaker, as we conceded the last goal in the 89th minute. Was really hoping to pull a draw in an away game. My defense/goal keeping REALLY needs some work.

Last edited:

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
September treated us very well. First of all, the team's best player JACK ROLES was awarded YOUNG PLAYER OF THE MONTH! Mr. Manager also came in 2nd for manager of the month.

1593838367583.png

1593838496737.png

The month started off rough with 2 losses in a row, but then we really turned things around! We lost both of our cup matches, but got 10 points in the league from 5 matches, which puts us mid table at 12th! Finishing the season mid table would be pretty spectacular, as my expectations are merely to avoid relegation. All of our training has been focused on defense lately, and the defending has definitely improved! Even the cup loss to Crystal Palace was decent, other than conceding 2 goals on set pieces.

1593838636675.png

We have 5 players with 4+ goals, with most assists coming from the wings/fullbacks. I've really been pleased with the backup wingers/fullbacks, so I didn't end up signing any new transfers in those areas after all. We have almost finished riding out the injuries to our first choice fullbacks, and have managed to keep everyone fresh on the wings with a good rotation of starters. Roles has been playing awesome as a box to box midfielder and he's been contributing some key goals on long shots. I'd like to see him involved a bit more with assists, but I'm pleased with him so far. Mullin and Abedoyejo have been the primary pairing up top, and are each averaging a goal every other game. Harvey Knibs is also worth a mention, as he's picked up a lot of timely goals as an impact sub.

1593838961625.png

Travis7401

Douglass Tagg
Community Liaison
October was even better! Victor Adeboyejo was YOUNG PLAYER OF THE MONTH! Mr. Manager once again came in runner up in the BOSS OF THE MONTH award.

1594009699110.png

The Board is absolutely ecstatic with our performance this month, we've put a smile on the face of every single supporter! We went on a hell of a run in October, and we're currently sitting in the promotion spots for Sky Bet League 2, and the month featured victories over several top tier teams, including some road victories as well!
1594009838808.png

Here's the match results from October. The most recent road victory against Northhampton was amazing, as they were even with us in the table prior to the match. We shot forward to 3rd and they dropped to 7th. The Macclesfield victory was also very impressive, as they were 2nd in the league when we played (currently 5th). What an awesome month!
1594009971282.png

VICTOR had hisself a heck of a month, picking up 4 goals in 3 appearances. The rest of the strikers all chipped in as well, and Sam Smith contributed 3 assists in addition to a goal. Harvey Knibbs continuing to be the primary super sub.
1594010155846.png