1. We have updated to a new version of XenForo. If you were using the "Kella" custom style, you need to switch to the Utopia or Alternate style. Do this in your user preferences.
    Dismiss Notice

[FM18] A FM Journey Starts in Bath

Discussion in 'Offline Dynasties' started by goblue96, Jun 6, 2018.

1. goblue96

goblue96 Disney and Curling Expert

Team:
    Michigan
    Summer 2022 Transfer Update
    Augsburg brought in the most players during the Summer 2022 transfer window by bringing in 12 players. Bayern spent the most money at 202 million squiggles.

Football Manager 2018 6_30_2018 2_02_26 PM.png

By contrast, we spent 16 million squiggles and about half of that money was generated through player sales. Thanks tight wad board!

I'm going to focus on four of the 12 players that we brought in. Those who I think will make the biggest impact.

Football Manager 2018 6_30_2018 2_02_49 PM.png

CF Reinhard Gaal: Brought in from Rapid in Austria and at age 20 already has four caps and two goals with the national team. Brought in as a complete forward which is a role that I look for when I play in a single striker formation. Gaal has tons of pace which we will need because I envision we will be scoring a lot of goals on the counter attack. Smart on the ball (15 decisions). Needs some work on the technical side of his game but that will come with age. The physical and mental tools are in place.

Football Manager 2018 6_30_2018 2_03_06 PM.png

LW Benjamin Moreno: One of two players to come off from Colo Colo this transfer window. A fast winger who is also smart but a bit of a TWINK (5 bravery). Can dribble, cross, and finish. Should see most of his time coming off the bench to pull the defense out wide and allow our central players to run in to the vacated space.

Football Manager 2018 6_30_2018 2_03_17 PM.png

RW Petr Dobrovolny: A left winger who I will convert into a right inside forward over the course of the season. Another fast player who needs to work on both the mental and technical sides of his game. Should see less playing time than Moreno but will get time off the bench and start in the DFB-Pokal during the season.

Football Manager 2018 6_30_2018 2_03_31 PM.png

DMC Gabriel Suazo: Suazo is the second player from Colo Colo to join us this season. Suazo is a shitkicking defensive midfielder who will step into the halfback role in our formation. The halfback creates a defacto back three with the outside backs pulling up into more supporting role as the halfback drops back and the two center back play a little wider. Another smart player who can be trusted to make the right decision.​

2. goblue96

Team:
    Michigan
    2022-23 Augsburg Mid-Season Update
    Such a big difference between the number of games in Ireland compared to Germany. I played only 20 games to reach the halfway point in Germany. 17 Bundesliga games and 3 cup games. It took 34 games to reach the midway point in Ireland. My players are fresh. They, for the most part, aren't cut out for this level but they are fresh and that is helping us so far this season.

Football Manager 2018 7_3_2018 11_24_49 AM.png

We sit in a very tenuous 14th place. There's two quality teams, Werder Bremen and Leverkusen, behind us in the table. Leverkusen have been beyond awful this season by their standards. No reason for them to be propping up the table. We only have a three-point lead over last place and a two-point lead over 17th place. One point separates us from 16th place. We are still in a relegation fight and right now goal difference (-11) is working against us too. At the other end of the table, Koln (@Travis7401) are at the top of the table with Frankfurt in 2nd. The more traditional powers are in positions 3-6. The middle of table is filled with the usual suspects and they are putting some distance between themselves and the relegation fight.

Football Manager 2018 7_3_2018 11_25_13 AM.png

I have to say our best game is a loss. Our 1-0 loss to Bayern Munich. Their goal came on a counter attack from one of our corners. Next best game was a 2-1 win over Frankfurt. Our worst game was our last game when Leipzig ran us off the field and beat us 4-0. We have a problem putting the ball in the back of the net. And that problem is a function of our midfield's poor passing. Our forwards just aren't getting the service that they need.

Football Manager 2018 7_3_2018 11_25_35 AM.png

Three road cup games and we went out where the board expected us to in the third round.

Football Manager 2018 7_3_2018 11_26_38 AM.png

Bronze Medal Performance of the First Half - CM Robin Huser: Huser has been our best midfielder. He leads the midfield and the team with three assists. He also leads the team in key passes/90 at 1.68 which is even more than our attack-minded playmaker. That alone speaks volumes about our offensive struggles.

Silver Medal Performance of the First Half - CF Reinhard Gaal: In just a few matches, Gaal took over the starting centre forward position. He leads the team with eight goals and is tied with Huser for team lead with three assists. When he gets proper service, he can score. I just need to get him some midfielders who can provide him that service.

Gold Medal Performance of the First Half - DMC Gabriel Suazo: Suazo

Disappointment of the First Half - LW Takashi Usami: Usami has been wasteful in his passing, dribbling and shooting. Only one goal and zero assists in eight appearances. Right back Georg Teigl pushed him for the honor and in fact the more that I think about Usami and Teigl should be co-disappointments of the first half.

Travis7401 likes this.
  3. goblue96

Team:
    Michigan
    2023 Augsburg Youth Intake
    Football Manager 2018 7_3_2018 11_18_21 PM.png

My first youth intake was pretty good. It's very top heavy. I got lucky with two outstanding talents with good personalities at the top of the class in Marek Hanzel and Franz Uphoff. Three of the next four best players don't have great personalities (unambitious and low determination). Hopefully with some tutoring, I can change those personalities to balanced, at best. Some decent depth in the middle of the class.

Football Manager 2018 7_3_2018 11_19_15 PM.png

Hanzel's best position in defensive midfielder. He's not very tall and he weighs nothing. He's only 14 so will grow into his frame. He also needs to work on some of the mental side of the game namely bravery, aggression, composure, and concentration. But those will come with time. He's got, at least, two full seasons in the youth teams to develop his game. He can't join the senior roster until he is 17 according to Bundesliga rules. He already wants to put in the hard WORK WORK so that's a start.

Football Manager 2018 7_3_2018 11_19_27 PM.png

Uphoff joins a backlog of talent at left wing. Like Hanzel, he's only 14 and small so he'll need the time in the U18 and U23 teams to develop physical and mentally. He is a bigger project than Hanzel. Uphoff's technical game is weak as well. He won't make the senior team at age 17 like Hanzel likely will but he will feature in the first team at some point during his career.

4. goblue96

Team:
    Michigan
    2022-23 Augsburg Season Review
    Another season has come and gone. We had a lot of struggles this season but in the end it was a very successful campaign for Augsburg.

Football Manager 2018 7_4_2018 5_15_04 PM.png

We were very streaky in the second half of the season. Our best win was, obviously, the 1-0 victory over Bayern Munich, who saw their run of Bundesliga titles snapped by Leipzig. We put together a three-match winning streak in April which put enough distance between ourselves and those battling for relegation. Around the winning streaks, there were a lot of losses and not very many draws. But the seven second-half wins were enough to push us through.

Football Manager 2018 7_5_2018 2_07_30 PM.png

We finished the season in a solid mid-table position far away from the relegation struggle. Freiburg and Dusseldorf really went to crap in the second half. Leverkusen were the hottest team in the second half of the season as they moved from 18th to a somewhat respectable 10th place finish. Leipzig won the league by seven points over both Bayern and a very surprising Stuttgart. Dortmund earned the fourth Champions League slot for Germany. Schalke and Koln dive into the Europa League where they will be joined by DFB-Pokal winner Leverkusen.

Football Manager 2018 7_4_2018 5_14_50 PM.png

Bronze Medal Performance of the Season - LW Benjamin Moreno: Moreno was the beneficiary of Usami's poor form from the first half of the season. Though, Usami improved in the second half, he could not unseat Moreno from the starting job. Moreno was second on the team with 4.32 dribbles per 90 minutes. He chipped in five goals and a team-high seven assists.

Silver Medal Performance of the Season - CM Luka Ilic: Ilic really improved in the second half of the season in all categories. He started to provide service to our lone striker and get assists. His passing from the centre of the midfield improved. He added more key passes to his game. Four goals from the centre of the midfield were a bonus as the season went on.

Gold Medal Performance of the Season - CF Reinhard Gaal: Gaal is really proving his worth this season. He led the team with 16 goals in all competitions. If there is one area of his game which needs improving, it is his passing game. He gave away possession far too frequently this season during our breakouts and then the opposition would hit us on the counter from our own counter attack. Still I had to sign him to a new contract at the end of the season to get rid of a low release clause in his contract.

Disappointment of the Season - LB Emir Karic: As the season went out, Karic proved to hisself that he is not a Bundesliga level left back. He would get burned by pacy wingers and out-muscled by strong wingers. As a result, he was pushed to a back-up role behind our left back who came in loan, Kris Allen.

Football Manager 2018 7_4_2018 10_47_46 PM.png

Our bank account is helped by a new sponsorship from a telecommunications company. Hopefully, we can find a stadium sponsorship, at some point, to bring in even more money. I've plowed some of this sponsorship money into improving the training facilities as well the junior coaching and youth recruitment so we can, hopefully, develop some of our players.

Football Manager 2018 7_4_2018 5_16_48 PM.png

I'm going to have spend another season looking for lower cost young players or players who have been transfer listed to improve the squad.

Football Manager 2018 7_5_2018 12_30_30 AM.png

My scouts found an absolute gem of a player in the Czech Republic. His minimum release clause was high, at 2.7 million squiggles, but I found a way to work him into our transfer budget. Inter swooped in while we were in contract negotiations and signed him. Fuckers.

I've got a new U19 manager as well.

Football Manager 2018 7_5_2018 12_04_34 AM.png

5. Yankee151

Yankee151 TWINK Stadium

Team:
    Yankees
    Novotny and Hanzel are gonna boss the midfield in a few years'

Can't see Vidal taking a manager jerb in real life, would probably go full Ronaldinho once he retires

6. goblue96

Team:
    Michigan
    I wish I was able to sign Novotny. Bastard signed with Inter instead of me. He had me drooling.

7. Yankee151

Yankee151 TWINK Stadium

Team:
    Yankees
    Oh that's what I get for skimming :confused:

goblue96 likes this.
  8. DeadMan

DeadMan aka spiker or DeadMong

Team:
    Michigan
    Oh man, I would be so pissed. That dude is going to be great.

goblue96 likes this.
  9. goblue96

Team:
    Michigan
    I was just hoping to having for a few seasons and then sell him for a huge profit to a big club. His sale could have finances a few facilities upgrades or bring in two or three more like him.

Hopefully, my Plan B from Denmark (@DanishDonut0 ) signs with me.

10. DeadMan

Team:
    Michigan
    If it makes you feel any better, his 12 passing is a pretty big bummer to be honest.

11. goblue96

Team:
    Michigan
    His mental stats have me drooling.

12. goblue96

Team:
    Michigan
    Summer 2023 Transfer Update
    Another busy summer in the transfer market as I attempt to upgrade the Augsburg roster.

Football Manager 2018 7_6_2018 9_58_00 PM.png

In fact, we were the most active in the transfer market bringing in 13 players though not all of 13 will be put into the first team right away. But first, Bayern Munich pulled up the Brinks truck to PSG and spent 112 million squiggles on a 22-year Dutch centre back. This is what 112 million squiggles buys you.

Football Manager 2018 7_6_2018 9_58_25 PM.png

Just an absolute beast. 15+ across most of the important categories for a centre back. His only "negatives" are aggression (11) and concentration (13). He's only 22 so he's got another five or so years of development left so his game will only get better.

Football Manager 2018 7_6_2018 10_06_36 PM.png

I'm going to focus on five of these 13 transfers into the club. The five players who I think will have the biggest impact to our club. Upon closer inspection of these five players, three of them are deemed to be "wonderkids," or players with high potential ability who are 20 years old or less.

Football Manager 2018 7_6_2018 10_06_49 PM.png

CB Joaquin Rojas: Our first wonderkid brought in to improve the centre back position. While he is not in the class of the centre back that Bayern Munich brought in, Rojas does have significant potential. He's a beast of a man already at 6'6" and 196 lbs and his fast for his size so little twink centre forwards aren't going to be able to run circles around him. His passing could use some work but I can work around that for a season or two with some personalized instructions to play shorter passes. Only 19 years old and he has seven caps for the Chilean National Team.

Football Manager 2018 7_6_2018 10_07_06 PM.png

CM Lukas Koloziej: Not in the class of Novotny who decided to play for Inter over Augsburg, Koloziej is still a very capable centre midfielder. He's a pure passer in the midfield. 15 passing and 15 vision. Another determined player like Rojas. His composure can use some work but that should develop with first team experience and his first touch needs some serious work. That lead foot could lead to a lot of turnovers in the midfield if he is not careful. The tools are there. He needs to round out his game to become a quality Bundesliga centre midfielder.

Football Manager 2018 7_6_2018 10_07_18 PM.png

CM Petr Kucera: Kucera is wonderkid number 2 of the signing window. His mental stats are off the charts for 19 year old. He can run for days (natural fitness=18). He has great vision (16) for the position and the first touch that his countryman is lacking. He could work on his passing some to become a better player as well as his finishing especially with the shoots from distance player trait. My scouts searched the Czech Republic hard and found three gems. Thankfully, we were able to sign two of the three even though the brightest gem took his talents to Italy.

Football Manager 2018 7_6_2018 10_07_33 PM.png

RB Sebastian Robayo: Our South American scout also put in some serious work and found us a second wonderkid from South America and our third overall for the window. Robayo, from Columbia, will move right into the starting right back position. He does have a lot of things to work on in his game so he will learn by doing. He's not the best at marking or positioning. He makes up for those negatives with his speed. He can provide service from the right wing as we tweak our 4123 and 4231 formations for this season to have an inside forward on the right side. So, I need a right back who can get up and down the wing to provide width and service on the right side. Robayo does that.

Football Manager 2018 7_6_2018 10_07_43 PM.png

CM Rene Larsen: My centre midfield signing after Novotny went to Inter. Larsen has the best vision of the three and can run for days. He does have some deficiencies like all of the young players in this class. He can't dribble. He isn't brave and is a little slow in anticipating situations which really don't fit his player traits of "dictates tempo" and "comes deep to get ball." He looks best suited as a defensive midfielder who will start the play from the back with long probing balls to attacking players.

13. goblue96

Team:
    Michigan
    2024 Augsburg Youth Development
    I completely blew past the mid-season update and the next thing I knew it was the 2024 youth intake. So, I'll do a big youth development post and then a post on the end of the season which has already happened as well.

New Players

Football Manager 2018 7_9_2018 7_08_43 PM.png

A decent intake but one that was filled was bad personalities. Many balanced personalities and only one fairly professional. Come June, I'll be in the market for a new Head of Youth Development. One that will bring in better players or, at least, players with better personalities.

Football Manager 2018 7_10_2018 7_41_33 PM.png

GK Pascal Boog: I love getting a good goalkeeper in a youth intake. It's an easy way to bring in a homegrown player into the senior team even if they are just a back up. Boog has the potential to be a starter at some point during his career. I'm not a fan of his casual personality and poor determination. Those things can be improved with many years of tutoring and development. My goal is to always have a professional goalie in the senior team even if they are just a backup or third stringer (see: Fraser Forester).

Football Manager 2018 7_10_2018 7_42_28 PM.png

DMC Korbinian Bach: Another good player with a terrible personality. This time, it's that unambitious personality. His determination is a little better than Boog but that's not saying much. He's a brave defensive midfielder and one who is already willing to put in some hard WORK WORK. His other stats need some help (marking, tackling, strength). He's a tall guy and, hopefully, as he gets older, he fills out that 6'2" frame.

Football Manager 2018 7_10_2018 7_42_43 PM.png

LB Peter Merkel: One of the better players from the intake, in terms of personality, as he is light-hearted. This is another personality that should be easy to sway with some tutoring. His mentals are great for a 15 year old. Needs to work on his concentration but the others (aggression, anticipation, and bravery) are all already there. Appears to be more of a stay-at-home defenseman since his offensive skills are way behind his defensive skills.

Football Manager 2018 7_10_2018 7_42_55 PM.png

RB Patricio de Stefano: A dual citizen of Germany and Italy. Another good player in terms of mentals but poor in personality (Unambitious, again). His mentals are the best in the academy class. His technical skills are already goo for a 14 year old. I'd like to see his physical skills develop and catch up with the rest of his game. He looks to be more of an all-around defenseman compared to Merkel.

2023 Academy Class

Football Manager 2018 7_10_2018 7_43_23 PM.png

DMC Marek Hanzel: Hanzel has been promoted to the U23 team. He has seen a bit of development over the year. His technical skills have improved by four overall, his mental skills by six, and his physical skills by five. Even though, he has not grown, he has put on six pounds. He's kept his determined personality. He will have to spend another year in the U23 team before I can loan him out to 2.Bundesliga and 3.Liga teams so he can get first team football and develop even further.

2023 Skills:

Technical: 119
    Mental: 141
    Physical: 86

2024 Skills:

Technical: 123 (+4)
    Mental: 147 (+6)
    Physical: 91 (+5)

Football Manager 2018 7_10_2018 7_43_34 PM.png

LW Franz Uphoff: Uphoff has seen a lot of development over the past year but even with that development, he will spend another season with the U19 team. He's grown an inch and now 5'11" but has not put on any weight. All told, his technical skills have increased by 15 points, his mental and physical by 11 points which is great year-to-year development for a player.

2023 Skills:

Technical: 80
    Mental: 107
    Physical: 78

2024 Skills:

Technical: 95 (+15)
    Mental: 118 (+11)
    Physical: 89 (+11)

Football Manager 2018 7_10_2018 7_43_50 PM.png

RW Sebastian Killer: Killer joins Hanzel as a player from the Class of 2023 promoted to the U23 team. We have a weak spot at right wing so his good development earned him a call to the U23 team to see if development only gets better. Like Hanzel, he has a full season in the U23 team before he can loaned out to get first team football.

2023 Skills:

Technical: 71
    Mental: 84
    Physical: 78

2024 Skills:

Technical: 77 (+6)
    Mental: 94 (+10)
    Physical: 88 (+10)

Football Manager 2018 7_10_2018 7_44_07 PM.png

CB Fabian Bitterich: Bitterich has shown development but not enough development to earn a call-up to the U23 team at this time. He still needs a lot of work with the technical side of his game. The mental and physical tools are there and developing nicely but needs a lot of work on the technical side to earn that U23 callup.

2023 Skills:

Technical: 70
    Mental: 111
    Physical: 74

2024 Skills:

Technical: 75 (+5)
    Mental: 122 (+11)
    Physical: 81 (+7)

14. goblue96

Team:
    Michigan
    2023-24 Augsburg Year in Review
    It was an exciting year for Augsburg. We dropped our 41221 formation in favor of a more attack minded 4231 that I used at Dundalk. We have a very young defense and we had problems absorbing pressure so I decided to flip things on the opposition and put the pressure on them. We had some early struggles but in the second half of the season we took off and had a great campaign.

Football Manager 2018 7_10_2018 11_41_37 PM.png

Football Manager 2018 7_10_2018 11_36_19 PM.png Football Manager 2018 7_10_2018 11_36_34 PM.png

We pushed up the table and finished a very strong fifth place on goal difference. It was a very odd year for German clubs who are usually known for their fiscal responsibility. The Bundesliga saw not one but two clubs fail Financial Fair Play and declared ineligible for Champions League/Europa League competition. The first club was Leverkusen who finished in 4th place and were denied entry into the Champions League. We took their spot in the Champions League as the 5th place finisher in the league. Wolfsburg finished in 6th place and got denied entry in the Europa League. The beneficiaries of these denials were 7th place Mainz and 8th place Hoffenheim who took spots in the Europa League. 10th place Stuttgart won the DFB-Pokal and enter the Europa League as cup champions. The top three will enter the Champions League as expected. The Bundesliga says goodbye to Werder Bremen and Karlsruler as well as Braunschweig who lost to Union Berlin in the Bundesliga/2.Bundesliga playoff.

Football Manager 2018 7_10_2018 9_13_52 PM.png

Bronze Medal Performance of the Season - CF Jamie Butt: Butt joined us on loan from Manchester United and took over the starting lone striker role for the season. He led the team with 20 goals and got 50% of his shots on target. He averaged just under one chance per 90 minute and just under two key passes per 90 minutes. Gaal still saw his fair share of starts but Butt was the best center forward we had on the roster this year.

Silver Medal Performance of the Season - LW Petr Dobrovolny: Another player who started the season on the bench and then took over a starting role. Dobrovolny took the starting left wing spot from Benjamin Moreno who had a great 2022-23 season. Petr has the pace and vision that Moreno does not. Petr can make something out of nothing. He was the second leading scorer with 11 goals in all competitions and third on the team with seven assists.

Gold Medal Performance of the Season - AMC Christoph Baumgartner: Baumgartner kick started our offense when we switched to the 4231 formation. He made great decisions for our attack as a player that I had pegged as a rotation/back-up player when the season began. He led the squad in key passes/90 (2.85), 2nd in assists (8), and tied for the team lead with Player of Match honors (5).

Football Manager 2018 7_10_2018 9_23_56 PM.png

We did not see our wage budget increase for the coming season but the transfer budget has increased significantly. It's a budget that should allow me to make some upgrades to the roster.

Football Manager 2018 7_10_2018 10_23_28 PM.png

15. DeadMan

Team:
    Michigan
    I've never seen that many unambitious personalities in one place. Yuck.

16. goblue96

Team:
    Michigan
    Yep. I fired my HoYD at the end of the season and replaced him with this fella.

Football Manager 2018 7_12_2018 11_10_36 AM.png

Fairly Determined is a better personality plus he's good at talent evaluation and his preferred formation closely matches what I'm trying to play.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  17. adchester

adchester Dog for life

Team:
    Minnesota-Duluth
    Boog(erwolve) gettin chose

Yankee151, DeadMan and goblue96 like this.
  18. goblue96

Team:
    Michigan
    Club Movement Update
    After 111 matches in charge of Augsburg, my time has come to end as I have been head-hunted by a larger German club.

Football Manager 2018 7_16_2018 7_23_08 PM.png

Who came after my services?

Football Manager 2018 7_15_2018 11_49_40 PM.png

Leverkusen, the club whose financial problems, provided Augsburg access to the Champions League. They are "struggling" in 6th place in the Bundesliga just one place below my team as Augsburg.

Football Manager 2018 7_15_2018 11_55_56 PM.png

I was surprised to see that they have never won the Bundesliga title. For a good as they are, it was surprising to me. According to wiki, their best ever Bundesliga finish is 2nd place. They have two DFB-Pokal wins (1993 and 2023) and the Europa League titles (1988, 2021, and 2024).

Football Manager 2018 7_15_2018 11_56_21 PM.png Football Manager 2018 7_15_2018 11_56_32 PM.png
    It seems that their finances have improved greatly since last year.

Looking forward to the challenge of managing my first big club!

Yankee151 likes this.
  19. DeadMan

Team:
    Michigan
    They were called Neverkusen for a reason.

I'm surprised you didn't stay at Augsburg. Leverkusen isn't that big of a step up.

20. goblue96

Team:
    Michigan
    That Bayer money has gotta buy me a title. BIG PHARMA!