• Registration is disabled due to constant spammers. Email [email protected] and we will temporarily re-enable registration for you.

[FM15] NML's Fake Corching Dynasty

NML

NML's (fake) Corching Dynasty
bqBcKix.jpg

YEAR 1
Brackley Town FC

Hired October 2014

Conference North
Avoid Relegation
- HIRED: 2-4-10, 10 points, 22nd
- END OF SEASON: ?
FA Cup
Eliminated in third qualifying round (before hired)
FA Trophy
?

Last edited:

NML

So, the first thing ur thinking is - wasn't this a club and country with a John Stamos video? It was, but even though I had tested it a million times (and failed 999,999 times), the league and CONCACAF CL still didn't run like I wanted and I was too frustrated to go back. So instead of starting a new thread and bogging up this forum with another half-done save, I edited it.

This is simple save - I'm making myself as a corch just like I am in reel life and seeing what happens. No other plans than that. No rules, other than that I'm not using any editor files.

In FM15, this kind of save is a little more interesting, as you can assign urself attributes and "design" urself as a coach, which I think is cool since I'm obviously not a polished coach (in the game or IRL) and more experience will bring new things. I tried to design the fake me as close to real-life me as possible. It's a cool idea since I can also set my past playing experience (I'm equaling playing in college to "semi-pro") and current education (I have the USSF C license, which you can also choose in the game) to mirror real life. Basically, this is what would happen if I moved to Ingerland and tried to corch professionally.

I will be attempting to be more realistic in my approach, as I did previously in my somewhat successful FM13 journeyman save - with a more 'hands on' approach to the day to day aspects of the club that I would also handle if this was real life.

I'm starting unemployed with the English pyramid loaded down to the 6th tier. Here we go​

Last edited:

NML

There were a few early Conference North/South (6th tier) jobs that opened up, but I didn't apply for various reasons. On October 24th, I sent in my first application to Bradford Park Avenue.

They were promoted to the Conference North before the 2012-13 season, where they finished 7th. They followed that up with a 13th place year, and are looking to stay mid-table again. Currently, they are in 21st (next to last), but there's plenty of time to climb the table.

I was offered an interview on October 30th, and when I took it I was already the favorite at 6-4 to take the job.

Naturally I nailed the interview and was offered the gig on November 2nd.

My wage is a low $350/week, so many of my players are making more than me. I don't have great job security, and don't really have time to struggle. I look more deeply about the club in the next post, but they've got $80k in the bank, so I'm an easy fire if things don't go my way.​

Last edited:

NML

So let's take a quick look at my new club here:

Finances

So good news: the club has actually already made a run to the first round proper of the FA Cup, which ties their best run since 1968 (which was a different iteration of the club). That sets the club up financially for the whole season, likely. We will get a decent gate against Southend United when we host (a League Two side) and if we could force a replay we would see another big paycheck. We've already got 80k in the bank, so we are set there.

Bad news: the club is already their wage budget by $1,200/week. That's not a small amount. We need to quickly find some guys we can ship out to lower this, and maybe look to the loan market to see if we can get some replacements for free.

The Club

We were predicted to finish 7th - being in 21st after a third of the season makes that very tough. However, we can definitely still get to mid-table. We are a 1-star in terms of reputation, about average for the league. Three legends and one icon that I can join in the coming years... President is happy and plans to stay for a while. Estimated worth of $500k. We've got a pair of 'fierce rivals' - Bradford City, who are way up in League One, and Guiseley, who we will play a couple times this year.

Our facilities are very poor and will have to be upgraded if the club plans to move up the ladder any higher. Having poor training facilities at this level is unacceptable. Nobody gon wanna come play here. Lowest possible rating on all youth facilities. LAWD

Staff

They've got 5 chairmen, so that's already discouraging. Too many cooks in the kitchen. Our assistant is very meh, but I'll keep him around. Head of Youth Development is getting his walking papers. A player/coach - always useful from a cost-cutting perspective. Physio and scout are both just okay, but they'll stay around all year.

The Squad

The comparison tab is very useful is you aren't using it. A very obvious thing pops out very quickly - our squad is dead last in leadership, teamwork, and aggression. Holy shit. No wonder they are underperforming. Looks like we've got some sound defenders (1st in marking, 3rd in positioning). We don't appear to have a midfield capable of keeping possession (last in passing, 20th in technique). That's really unfortunate because that's what I like to play. Our forwards seem like shit outside of their athleticism. Let's move on to the players themselves...

Looks like we've got a pair of non-contract keepers, one older and decent, one young and below average. Makes that easy. Simon Ainge looks like a great player - two-footed, well rounded CB who's actually good on the ball. WELCOME TO THE TEAM SIMON! We've got two options to pair with him; one more of a ball playing CB, the other limited technically but maybe a better defender. Solid right back in Sam Patterson, and a good back up too. We apparently have no one capable of playing left back? Jesus... We've got five center mids, and all fucking five of them are ball winners. WELL CONSTRUCTED ROSTER CORCH! We've got three wingers with pace and little else. Things are going down hill quickly here... We do have a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none forward on loan from Chester FC. He seems okay. Not much to back him up though.

I got to be honest, I'm not optimistic after that.

Competitions

Some good news here is that we've already exceeded our FA Cup goal, and the FA Trophy goal only needs one win. Obviously getting to mid-table may be a bit of a challenge.​

Last edited:

NML

Here's the tactic I came up with

tactic_zpstwii6hdm.png

I want to play a possession game, but it ain't happening with this group of mongs. Instead, we will defend our asses off and then hit it wide to our speedy wingers and hope for the best. Our striker is probably our best player other than Ainge (CB), so I'm trying something I read about recently with him. This is the article, and talks about using a "target man" as your focal point of attack. We will give it a shot.​

Last edited:

NML

Just wrapped up my first game with that tactic... it needed some obvious adjustments. My ball-winner and anchorman were occupying the same space and that allowed an early goal. We made that switch and that basically shored up the defense. Our offense struggled because our winger outlets weren't seeing the ball. I switched them to "advanced playmakers" but gave them similar instructions to a winger and that worked very well. I was particularly impressed with our lone striker's performance. He did very well and the above article was spot on.

I think we are basically ready to move forward with this squad. We got a 1-1 draw but basically controlled the game after their first goal and especially in the second half. I feel good moving forward, although our next match is against a team from two levels above...

Last edited:

NML

Alright, so I wasn't optimistic about this group of mongs after meeting them, and here's where we are a little over halfway through the season.

league_zpsitkdxxia.png

So we completely turned the season around. I worked my magic and somehow grouped these assholes together in a way where we basically never allowed goals and managed to steal quite a few. A big reason is that we have the biggest mong of all playing as a lone striker - his name is Chib Chilaka. Yep, Chib Chilaka. Well, ole Chib comes in at about 5'9" and a gundyfat 182. His 17 strength is the highest single attribute any of my players have, and we used it well. Despite his fatness, he moves pretty well (9 pace, 10 acceleration, 13 stamina), and so his role as a deep lying forward who holds up play works really well. He gets UNBELIEVABLE amounts of fouls drawn against him. You can't sort that stat, to my knowledge, but I did compare him to the other highest scoring target forward - who had 33 fouls against. CHIL AKA CHIB had 70. We get a crazy amount of FK opportunities from close range, and have converted a handful. Nathan Hotte, our captain and free kick taker, leads the team in shots with 62 (Chib is closest at 49) and has seven goals. Again, don't think it's possible to sort exactly how many were via free kick, but I'd say almost (if not) all of them. We also have a match prep constantly of scoring from set pieces - I'm basically Tony Pulis. Eight assists from Hotte says we are doing pretty well there.

Certainly, our biggest accomplishment is our defensive work. We allowed five goals in ten league matches. As ur about to see, we kicked ass in cup play too. The main reason of that is two-fold. 1 is Simon Ainge, who I mentioned above. He's a stud, and certainly the back bone of our team (and best player). Unfortunately, he's refusing to resign with us, but I digress. 2 has been my tactical genius, for lack of a better term. Basically, as I said above, we bunker in, pack the middle of the field, and then try and slowly build up to our own half. My back four stays back so we don't get hit on the counter. My fullbacks are basically wide center backs. It works for our team. I was surprised how well we can control the game since our team can't pass, but we stay narrow and make simple passes. That helps us keep possession and, obviously, if we have, they don't. We don't have the pace to counter, and I like how well CHIB can hold up play for us as a lone striker.

It was never my ideal tactic, but it's a results based business. Gotta get them first. Speaking of results:

cups_zpsj4znyksr.png

I already touched on the FA Cup run, but the FA Trophy run has been good too. We are actually only a handful of matches away from Wembley and a huge check...

------

So things are going well. I'm in 13th, which is good enough, I've surpassed both cup goals, and we still have 40k in the bank. Assuming we stay healthy, it's possible we push for the playoff spots.

NML

Shit hit the fan since my last post. I should've known my first loss would have a domino effect. This group of "players," as we learned early on, is mentally weak and prone to follow the way the team is playing - which worked well when we couldn't lose. But when we got on a losing streak?

new_zpsjmgmgl9v.png

LAWD.

Now I'm in the freaking relegation zone and the papers aren't sure if I'll make it through the season. Basically, I think it comes down to how I finish - if I stay above the drop, I'll be offered a new contract.

Not sure I'll take it, if I even do manage to pull this team back up.

NML

Relegation battle came down to the last day - we had to win and needed another club to either lose or draw....

We won 2-0, and they lost 3-2.

The club was happy for a day, but then immediately pissed off. I wasn't really "excited" about coming back, so I tried to get them to cover a coaching course and when they refused, I resigned.

Later that week, I applied for a job with Barrow AFC, who finished just outside the playoff spots in the south last season. After the normal interview process and an article published "laughing" me off as a possible candidate, I was offered the job.

Mike-Leach-Paul-Petrino-handshake.gif

Last edited:

NML

I was pretty disappointed in myself after last season. I felt like if I had managed minutes better, we could've stayed healthy and maybe finished a lot higher. However, after moving to Barrow, I feel like I did a solid job with the shit I had.

Barrow has over triple the wage budget of Bradford Park. The facilities are significantly better. They've got almost a million in the bank. The team is significantly better.

Only 10 players are on the books for next season, with three of them being strikers. So not a great start...

The players are quality though. All of them are "Conference" level - the step above us in the pyramid. Can't use the "trog" label with these guys. I only have two defenders, so lots of signings to make there. The quality up top is going to make me switch to a 4-4-2. I have a good mong CB, and another interested who's serious quality, so I'm think I'll try my hand at the Diego Simeone-inspired deep line, pressing tactic. Should work with what I have.

I need to address the defense and get some depth in the midfield during the summer. I have a handful of youth players who can provide emergency depth, if needed, so it's all about quality over quantity in the first team.

I haven't been given my expectations for the season yet, but I expect it to be "win the league."

NML

Went to revive this and lost my file. No big deal, I'll just restart my career.

----

Started unemployed and applied for my first gig in October - Brackley Town - which I got.

A_P0V_Xp.jpg

Brackley are still trying to consolidate their position in the sixth tier, getting promoted two seasons ago. They nearly achieved back to back promotions, finishing in third but losing in the playoffs.

This year, however, has been a rough start. They currently sit dead last with just two wins from 16 matches. The board has asked me to keep them up, which shouldn't be too difficult once we get healthy. Currently four of the better players are injured, likely explaining their poor start.

I'm going to be a little more diligent with my match analysis, and may even share some here. I'm trying to do more of it for my job so this is a decent outlet for that.

Last edited:

NML

So let's do a little team breakdown...

I think a mistake I see with a lot of coaches (IRL anyways) is they try to make a preset group of players play the way THEY think the game should be played. I think that's backwards. Coaches should have a general mindset for their expectations for a team (do we want to press all over the field? Do we want to be reactive? etc...), but when the pieces are already there, it's important to put the players in positions to succeed.

I also think it's best to build around your best players, and then fill in the gaps around them. So when I'm deciding how to set up my tactic, I want to look at the team and start with it's best players. Here's a shot of our squad at Brackley Town FC:

squad1.PNG
squad2.PNG

That's our 23 man squad (plus a trialist) - the second page of players there are mostly depth and reserve team players on non-contracts. But the difference between player 9 and player 22 is minimal. So we build around our top talent and the rest of the squad can fill in where needed. Let's look at those top four players and see how they can fit the larger plan - that being a team that needs to be shored up defensively and can grind it's way to staying up.

Eric Odhiambo
eo.PNG

He's a bit of a lackluster "best player," but he does have some interesting attributes. His dribbling, first touch, passing, technique, and vision are a class above everyone else. He has decent mobility so I could see him having success as the focus of our attack - dropping in a bit deeper and finding the ball from everyone. He has decent pace and crossing, so even though I might prefer a flat 4-4-2 formation with a mong and a speedster up top, he fits better in the withdrawn forward role beneath the striker. He could also pair with someone at center mid, but I want him in as much space as possible.

David Moyo
moyo.PNG

Now we come to someone with a much more obvious skill set - pacey striker. This could work well with our last dude. Moyo can stay higher off the last defender, chasing the long ball over the top and stretching the defense. He lacks the technical ability to contribute much in the way of build up, so he needs to stay high, likely in a poacher role. He's 6', nearly 200, and although his strength and jumping leave something to be desired, he may be serviceable enough in those regards to play as a lone striker.

Sam Whittall
sam.PNG

Whittall is Mr Average - which tells you a bit about the quality of the club that he's our third best player. He doesn't do anything great, but he's serviceable at EVERYTHING. He will definitely fit as a hard-working center mid - and he's also suitable in a variety of roles. Flexibility is great in the 6th tier, so he's a nice, if unremarkable, piece.

Ryan Austin
ryan.PNG

14 strength, 14 jumping, 14 heading, 14 tackling and 6'2"? Oh, he'll work. He's been injured most of the season, which likely explains part of the team's struggles, so having our team captain back in January will help for the second half of the season. In looking through our starting squad, we didn't really anyone to pair with him, so that'll be one of my first orders of business.

Ultimately, these four gave me a good indication as to how this team can and will line up. Game plan is a 4-4-1-1, with Moyo playing the poacher role up top and Odhiambo sitting underneath him as the focal point of attack.